All Categories

Can we talk about Fortus

Can we talk about Fortus

Search
Comments
Jun 21, 2023, 19:2506/21/23
06/25/20

Your questions start with an incorrect premise - that there is an actual bug/issue. There isn't. The text on the skill reads "The damage of this skill increases by 10% every time a [Fear] or [True Fear] debuff is placed on an enemy".

As with all other things in the game, simply saying "increases by 10%" does NOT imply it increases by an absolute 10%. I need only point you towards any skill whose ability increases healing, eg for example Rector Drath, whose A2 reads "Heals all allies by 20% of this Champion's MAX HP" and whose skill books for an additional +5% / +5% / +10% for the first three books.

As has been well-noted, the effect of those three books is NOT that the resulting heal will be for 40% max HP. It is, in fact, 1 + 0.2*1.05*1.05*1.1 = 24.255% fully booked.

Or, as another example, any item percentage bonus, where for example a chest with +60% ATK does NOT boost your champ's overall ATK by 60%, but only the base value of the stat for the champ.

harleQuinnModerator
Jun 21, 2023, 19:3506/21/23
02/24/19
kramaswamy.kr

Your questions start with an incorrect premise - that there is an actual bug/issue. There isn't. The text on the skill reads "The damage of this skill increases by 10% every time a [Fear] or [True Fear] debuff is placed on an enemy".

As with all other things in the game, simply saying "increases by 10%" does NOT imply it increases by an absolute 10%. I need only point you towards any skill whose ability increases healing, eg for example Rector Drath, whose A2 reads "Heals all allies by 20% of this Champion's MAX HP" and whose skill books for an additional +5% / +5% / +10% for the first three books.

As has been well-noted, the effect of those three books is NOT that the resulting heal will be for 40% max HP. It is, in fact, 1 + 0.2*1.05*1.05*1.1 = 24.255% fully booked.

Or, as another example, any item percentage bonus, where for example a chest with +60% ATK does NOT boost your champ's overall ATK by 60%, but only the base value of the stat for the champ.

The numbers behind my Answer 3.

Thanks Krama. 😎

Jun 21, 2023, 19:5706/21/23
10/01/22
harleQuinn

I'll answer your questions then.

For reference:

i dont own fortus nor did i try and get him, but one thing i would like to know for future reference : 
1) has it really been 7 months since this issue was reported? if so why has it taken this long for plarium to do virtually nothing to him or even launch a statement regarding this?
2) why did a free lego (artak) receive updates immediately but people who spent big money getting fortus got left in the dark?
3) if fortus does work as intended why has his skill description not been changed for 6 + months?
4) is there actually any reason to even open a support ticket regarding this if plarium did nothing about it for 7 months? 

1) As I have said in this thread and others, I am told Fortus is currently working as he is intended. HOWEVER, I do report the complaints and feedback. I hope no one confuses me listening to you guys as some sort of confirmation the story is different than it actually is.

2) Artak was actually broken, and NOT working as intended. Wildly broken. Therefore he needed to be changed, and it was an easy fix.

3) People misreading skill descriptions and CCs getting it wrong doesn't mean anything needs to be changed. I would say that was even more important when he was released, then changed due to CC complaints, but what is done is done now.

4) A Support ticket is the final line of feedback. The advice I, or the Mod team, gives to a regular user of the discord after ALL CAPS yelling at the mods there is different than the advice you may get. In some specific cases, immediately showing up on the Forums after being muted on the Discord for poor behavior may get a message to chill on a subject. And may also come with an earnest suggestion for a player to take their thoughts to the Support Team, since we are obviously not giving them the answers they would like to see. 

In summation, Krama has some good points about Fortus in general. And in a different point, feedback is one thing, yelling at us in the discord is another.

so to sum it up, he does work as fully intended? but then at the same time support are emailing people back saying its a known issue and its being looked into? and the guy in the open post provides in great detail that souless and fortus who have virtually the exact same multipler(or should) do 2 completely different ranges of damage but fortus skill description is correct even if its not scaling in the same way souless a3 would scale? and even if we go off krams point of rector healing which i know is correct wouldnt this still result in them both scaling in damage the same way or at least should? the ability even displays it like this for both champions, a 10% damage increase per buff.

im leaning more towards fortus skill description is misleading and needs to be reworded and i can see peoples anger over it, just my 2 cents.

Jun 21, 2023, 20:0206/21/23
06/25/20

Fortus and Soulless are *very different*. Soulless has an ability whose damage scales per debuff *on the target*. Fortus has an ability whose damage scales per debuff *placed*.

In other words, Soulless will not scale infinitely. His max damage is capped. It does not grow as the fight continues.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

dthorne04Moderator
Jun 21, 2023, 20:0406/21/23
12/30/20
oblivion01332

so to sum it up, he does work as fully intended? but then at the same time support are emailing people back saying its a known issue and its being looked into? and the guy in the open post provides in great detail that souless and fortus who have virtually the exact same multipler(or should) do 2 completely different ranges of damage but fortus skill description is correct even if its not scaling in the same way souless a3 would scale? and even if we go off krams point of rector healing which i know is correct wouldnt this still result in them both scaling in damage the same way or at least should? the ability even displays it like this for both champions, a 10% damage increase per buff.

im leaning more towards fortus skill description is misleading and needs to be reworded and i can see peoples anger over it, just my 2 cents.

yes, working as intended. prior correspondence (as is clarified in the post you're referencing) pertaining to Fortus came before clarification was given after all changes to Fortus were made.

Jun 21, 2023, 20:1506/21/23
10/01/22
kramaswamy.kr

Fortus and Soulless are *very different*. Soulless has an ability whose damage scales per debuff *on the target*. Fortus has an ability whose damage scales per debuff *placed*.

In other words, Soulless will not scale infinitely. His max damage is capped. It does not grow as the fight continues.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

then i stand by the point i made 5 mins ago, his skill description needs to be updated to be more clear to people, because as i stated i dont own him but i looked at this from a neutral point of view and it looks like they should scale in the same way, im unsure why plarium would want to take such crap over this subject for 7 months if they can update the description to be much clearer to people.

at the same time why are they telling people via email its being looked into when they can simply say it works as intended and we have updated the description of his ability to avoid confusion?

Jun 21, 2023, 20:2606/21/23
06/25/20

I don't know why you're arguing this. The two are *not* worded the same.

Fortus: The damage of this skill increases by 10% every time a [Fear] or [True Fear] debuff is placed on an enemy.

Soulless: Damage increases by 10% for each debuff on the target.

You may think I'm being pedantic, but those do *not* say the same thing.

As for the rest of your point - who knows? Their support team and their dev team are unlikely to be the same.

Jun 21, 2023, 20:3006/21/23
10/01/22
kramaswamy.kr

I don't know why you're arguing this. The two are *not* worded the same.

Fortus: The damage of this skill increases by 10% every time a [Fear] or [True Fear] debuff is placed on an enemy.

Soulless: Damage increases by 10% for each debuff on the target.

You may think I'm being pedantic, but those do *not* say the same thing.

As for the rest of your point - who knows? Their support team and their dev team are unlikely to be the same.

and ur telling me u cant see how these 2 wordings can almost be read in the same way at first glance? and that plarium could just simply change the wording to avoid less confusion? seems like a logical thing to do to me after getting roasted about it for months.

Jun 21, 2023, 20:3806/21/23
06/25/20

Lol.

1) They aren't "getting roasted about it for months". This is literally the only thread on this topic, period. And there are exactly two people in the thread complaining, three if you want to count yourself.

2) There's a rather long list of other lexical changes that could be made in this game. I highly doubt fixing this one skill's description is anywhere near the top of their priorities.

3) Rewording to do what it actually does is not the simplest thing in the world, as there's a fairly limited amount of space with which to work with. What would you have it say? "The damage of the fear portion of this skill's multiplier increases by 10% every time a [Fear] or [True Fear] debuff is placed on an enemy"? All that does is opens up more problems for them to have to explain (what's a multiplier? what's my skill's multiplier? why is the multiplier different with different stats? etc etc etc).

Jun 21, 2023, 21:0506/21/23
10/01/22
kramaswamy.kr

Lol.

1) They aren't "getting roasted about it for months". This is literally the only thread on this topic, period. And there are exactly two people in the thread complaining, three if you want to count yourself.

2) There's a rather long list of other lexical changes that could be made in this game. I highly doubt fixing this one skill's description is anywhere near the top of their priorities.

3) Rewording to do what it actually does is not the simplest thing in the world, as there's a fairly limited amount of space with which to work with. What would you have it say? "The damage of the fear portion of this skill's multiplier increases by 10% every time a [Fear] or [True Fear] debuff is placed on an enemy"? All that does is opens up more problems for them to have to explain (what's a multiplier? what's my skill's multiplier? why is the multiplier different with different stats? etc etc etc).

1) yes they are, and by the word of mods its stemmed into the discord as well, also not sure how you think me asking questions is complaining i dont recall complaining one single time on this thread? i made it very clear i was asking questions for future reference. And i also dont see anyone on this thread defending fortus is anyway, its all negative.

2) ur right there is a very long list, not really sure why u think adding more clear ability descriptions should not be on the list if it betters everyones understanding?

3) im not really sure what to say to this other than that if they managed to create an entire mobile game they can probably add a clear piece of text that explains champions abilities better.

harleQuinnModerator
Jun 21, 2023, 23:5606/21/23
02/24/19
oblivion01332

1) yes they are, and by the word of mods its stemmed into the discord as well, also not sure how you think me asking questions is complaining i dont recall complaining one single time on this thread? i made it very clear i was asking questions for future reference. And i also dont see anyone on this thread defending fortus is anyway, its all negative.

2) ur right there is a very long list, not really sure why u think adding more clear ability descriptions should not be on the list if it betters everyones understanding?

3) im not really sure what to say to this other than that if they managed to create an entire mobile game they can probably add a clear piece of text that explains champions abilities better.

To your first point there, I am the mod whose words you are referencing here. If one person provides feedback on the discord, then comes and provides kinder feedback here, it is still the same person. Calling me, texting me and mailing me the same thing doesn't mean I'm getting three different people contacting me about something. :)

A few other things from your other comments. If support tells someone it's a "known issue" that means they are aware that a costumer has brought this up... usually this is because the player provides feedback on a site like this, the Mod team passes it along our feedback chain, and by the time the player emails support, they can look in their docs and see the issue has been reported. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is an actual issue rather than just a reported one.

As far as "im leaning more towards fortus skill description is misleading and needs to be reworded" and your second point here... this is, IMO, the best point you've got here. If people are confused, wording could be changed, or perhaps a better explanation of the ability description could be put into place in the FAQ/Help Section for the game.

Personally I agree with Krama's point that Soulless and Fortus are worded differently, and each ability makes sense to me with how I understand the game to work. However, I also have a lot more experience with Raid than most, and have already gone through the growing pains of "Why doesn't X work like it should??!??1?" for a baker's dozen of my champs at this point, and I've learned some of the idiosyncracies of the skill language, so to speak.

So regardless of Fortus working like I think it should, like Rector or many others, ofc it would be nice to have some skill descriptions updated. Is there anyone else you can think of that you have had to puzzle over that you think I should add to my feedback to look at, along with Fortus?

Jun 22, 2023, 00:4406/22/23
Jun 22, 2023, 00:46(edited)
10/01/22

as i said i dont own/use/know much of fortus so it wouldnt be fair for me to submit a suggestion on him, however touching on ur point about ability descriptions i feel theres a lot that could be done and this is a little off subject but also related, the example i will use now is krams example of rector, it will show on her skill that she heals by 20% max health, and as you can see underneath it has the +5% heal bonus etc, my biggest problem with this when i look at it from the view of a newer player is i imagine a lot of people assume that they just simpy add 5% to the existing 20%, and lets be honest you cant really blame people for coming to that assumption, so my suggestion is when you add books perhaps the skill description should change and show the correct amount of healing? example when you add books into rectors a3 and increase her heal %, it doesnt show in the main skill it just shows as 20% still and people have to basically add these totals together them self ( most people would just simply do 20 +5 +5 etc and again you cant blame them for thinking this becase theres no information there to suggest otherwise and hey if i get a +5% debuff chance i actually get a 5% debuff so righly people would assume you just add the heal % together to ) but if the game its self showed the actual true value in an updated description when you used books it would be WAY less misleading to people. this combined with rewording of some champions abilities could go along way for peoples understanding.

Aug 2, 2023, 14:5608/02/23
02/24/20

Just pulled this horrible champ.  So what I got from reading this thread is that Fortus is either broken (player's assertion) or he's working as intended (Plarium's position is that he's intended to be bad?) 

Any update on a potential buff/fix? 

Aug 2, 2023, 15:5208/02/23
06/25/20

Don't hold your breath. Instead, use him the way he's actually got value for right now - namely, on a defense team, where the fact that it may take forever for him to get his damage to a game-winning state is irrelevent. Or don't, and add him to the long list of other lego champs that will sit in your vault.

Aug 3, 2023, 18:2408/03/23
Aug 3, 2023, 18:29(edited)
02/24/20

And just get sheeped into oblivion? No thanks.  Even ignoring the sheep there are far better options for a stall team than a champ whose calling card is completely neutralized by block debuffs and hits like a wet noodle.  Bug, working as intended, it doesn't really matter, this guy needs a rework.  Void legendaries are supposed to be the pinnacle of champ power in this game, why it's acceptable to keep this champion in this state is beyond me,

Aug 3, 2023, 18:5008/03/23
06/25/20

Nothing else scales infinitely. Get that through your head, and start thinking more 

Aug 3, 2023, 19:2508/03/23
02/24/20

There's no need to be rude.  Just because something scales infinitely and is unique doesn't make it good.  The rate that it scales at is so slow that it's impractical anywhere currently in the game.  The only fight that is long enough that it might be impactful in is Hydra, where all of the heads are immune to fear so no scaling.  

Aug 3, 2023, 19:3208/03/23
06/25/20

Sorry. End of my statement got cut off. Meant to say "start thinking more out of the box". As I said, his best use is on defense teams, where the length of the fight doesn't matter.

Aug 3, 2023, 20:1908/03/23
Aug 3, 2023, 20:22(edited)
02/24/20

I understand your argument, and in a hypothetical situation where you could build a team that could keep him alive infinitely then yes the skill would eventually become really powerful. The problem is that you need to be able to place the fear for that to happen, and block debuffs and full team cleanse has become nearly ubiquitous for support champions.  

I just took a quick look at the multipliers for the most popular defensive arena nukers in the game (Staltus, Ragash, Soulless, Harima) and most of their aoe multipliers are significantly higher than the base 3x that Fortus has on his secret skill.  This gap only increases because all of these champions have higher base defense than Fortus does. Soulless has the highest multiplier at 4.9 on his A3, which also increases the multiplier by 10% per debuff on the target.  His scaling may not be infinite but it's far more practical, and less conditional than Fortus'.  You would need to place 20 fears to get him to approximately the same multiplier as Soulless has innately without even accounting for Soulless' A3 scaling.  Yes Fortus' A3 ignores 30% of defense for champs under fear effects, but if you're building him in a defensive comp like you suggested you're not likely running him in Savage or Lethal.

These problems all exist without accounting for the current arena meta where placing debuffs is very punishing because of sheep.  The sheep nerf made it resistable sub-6* awakening, but you need to run resist on your champ to do that which again further diminishes his damage.  In high gold 5, platinum arena, or gold live arena his skillset is much more of a liability than a help. It's not practical, and you're far more likely to get killed by any number of more powerful champions, or get sheeped because you're putting out so many fears whether you're in resist gear or not because of the debuff volume.

Beyond that the A3 is a secret skill so it needs to proc to be usable.  Compare that to the secret skills for Valkanen and Mortu and there's a stark contrast in power.  Mortu and Valaknen both place block revive and hit incredibly hard without having to go several rounds to see a significant return from the A3.  Fortus might hit that way if the fight lasted 10+ minutes, the team wasn't running any of the most popular arena supports (Siphi, Duchess, Pythion, Elva, etc.) who all bring block debuffs and several bring cleanses, and he wasn't sheeped to death while the other team picked off your supports.

So we've got a champion who has admittedly a compelling aspect to his kit (the infinite scaling) but requires so much setup and circumstance to be effective that the scaling becomes irrelevant.  I'm not sure what level of arena you're playing in but it's not realistic to think you can just run him forever and let the damage build up when you're playing against endgame accounts, let alone whales and krakens.  

Fortus is almost universally viewed as one of the worst void legendaries in the game.  I'm not sure why you've picked this hill to die on when the community consensus is so strongly opposed to the opinion you're pushing. 

Aug 3, 2023, 22:3208/03/23
06/25/20

Why? Because, quite frankly, the community doesn't really understand arena, for the most part.

I mean, look - I'm not going to say he's the best arena champ in the game. My only point is that, in the right situation, he can have value. For example, a team of UDK + Pythion + Ukko + Fortus, I think, could be quite strong on defense. It's hard to kill, has a buff strip + block buffs to enable Fortus, and scales forever.

Is it beatable? Of course it is. But, crucially, it satisfies one of the two primary objectives of a defense team - it *looks* beatable, but is deceptively strong.

And, as to what level of arena I play in? Well, right now, I basically don't play the game anymore, outside of just farming CB and Hydra. But, when I did care, I was G3 tag, and if I'd bothered to spend the effort, could easily be G4.