Not getting ultimate Deathknight as new player feels awful

Search
Comments
dthorne04Moderator
Nov 25, 2022, 08:5111/25/22
Nov 25, 2022, 08:55(edited)
12/30/20
Deleted

But see other side too. In low lvl leagues who dont have awesome luck always face against huge disadvantage ??? What about if players in low lvl (bronze) leagues can use just rare heroes ? Silver just max epics ? How about If even the odds a little equalized?

In Bronze/early arena, the sheer amount of these UDKs that are geared poorly and still rank 5 far outnumbers rank 6, well built UDKs. The counter to that is 6ing your starter at the very least, with Athel being a good counter due to her 3 hitter ignoring most of the passive and letting us kill the champs alongside UDK before taking care of him. 

As I covered in another thread, the alternative of adding these extra rules to low level Arena would open up other issues. Penalizing players for being luckier in the champs they pull and choose to build is a really good way to make people not want to play the game, which you seem to be worried about. 

Nov 25, 2022, 09:0111/25/22
06/20/19
Deleted

But see other side too. In low lvl leagues who dont have awesome luck always face against huge disadvantage ??? What about if players in low lvl (bronze) leagues can use just rare heroes ? Silver just max epics ? How about If even the odds a little equalized?

Well, I do see the other side and I get the frustration.  But realize us old timers had 90 days of login, not even Scyl.  It took me most of a year to get into gold.  And I do believe the current situation will improve.  As we get further away from the udk login event, the players that have him will move up, quit, or they just can't git gud. As they move up they will find better teams.  Udk is a great champ, but not a good team player.  He's gonna fade ou. Right now he's a meta for low level accounts that have him. And every single meta in this game eventually fades away,

harleQuinnModerator
Nov 25, 2022, 09:3011/25/22
02/24/19
Angwil

Well, I do see the other side and I get the frustration.  But realize us old timers had 90 days of login, not even Scyl.  It took me most of a year to get into gold.  And I do believe the current situation will improve.  As we get further away from the udk login event, the players that have him will move up, quit, or they just can't git gud. As they move up they will find better teams.  Udk is a great champ, but not a good team player.  He's gonna fade ou. Right now he's a meta for low level accounts that have him. And every single meta in this game eventually fades away,

It took me a long time to get to Gold as well. Had to fully 60 a full arena team, then months of farming to get enough Speed gear to push out of Silver 4 with my speed tuned team.

While right now, I made Gold on that sample account I made:

i

Level 40 account, in Gold, against all these UDKs. Hadn't farmed gear even a little bit. Don't think I was past Dragon 12 or 13, and I was using the starter Lifesteal and the other login gear.

If THIS arena is hard for people, the old Arena must be viewed as totally impossible, and hellish, an unending nightmare landscape of 300 speed screams and swiftly parried pain.

Nov 25, 2022, 09:3911/25/22
07/08/19
Angwil

aaah, you youngsters and your fancy newfangled 90 day rewards. back in my day we got nothin' but a shaman and a jizoh and we were grateful for it!

harleQuinnModerator
Nov 25, 2022, 09:4011/25/22
02/24/19
Carpe_Piscis

aaah, you youngsters and your fancy newfangled 90 day rewards. back in my day we got nothin' but a shaman and a jizoh and we were grateful for it!

I don't even remember how those rewards worked, only that they were not so good, no. lol

dthorne04Moderator
Nov 25, 2022, 09:4111/25/22
12/30/20
harleQuinn

It took me a long time to get to Gold as well. Had to fully 60 a full arena team, then months of farming to get enough Speed gear to push out of Silver 4 with my speed tuned team.

While right now, I made Gold on that sample account I made:

i

Level 40 account, in Gold, against all these UDKs. Hadn't farmed gear even a little bit. Don't think I was past Dragon 12 or 13, and I was using the starter Lifesteal and the other login gear.

If THIS arena is hard for people, the old Arena must be viewed as totally impossible, and hellish, an unending nightmare landscape of 300 speed screams and swiftly parried pain.

My experience was similar, in that just using starter Lifesteal on my Athel let me blow right through Bronze and into Silver with minimal effort. 

From what I've seen of your experience, well it compares quite favorably with the super streamlined speed meta when I started working through arena. The sheer amount of time spent in Dragon 20 just to compete, lol

Nov 25, 2022, 09:4411/25/22
06/20/19
Carpe_Piscis

LMAO!  You old fart!  You are correct though.  When I started it was like being a 3rd grader trying to compete which a bunch of phd raid professors.

dthorne04Moderator
Nov 25, 2022, 09:4511/25/22
Nov 25, 2022, 09:50(edited)
12/30/20
Carpe_Piscis

this is how I envision what it must be like for anyone who actually started the game back in the day

i

Dec 4, 2022, 12:0912/04/22
03/12/21
Balltazer

I have yet to see a properly built arena team (even for early game) that struggles with UDK. What we do see a lot here are people who throw their 4 "best" champs in arena and expect them to perform. 

Sorry dude, you are out to lunch. The level 6 UDKs make teams virtually unbeatable for an evenly powered team. Old accounts will have the champs to beat him, new ones will NOT, unless they are exceptionally lucky. New players have a limited number of champs available, fewer who are built up and even less gear that is required to do it. Even if you can beat these teams it requires an order of magnitude more effort than a team without UDK.

I have been playing for years, my ftp accounts can't kill these UDKs. They can kill the rest of the team, but by the time that is done invariably my damage dealers will be dead as well, and then he can't be killed. Since I also have a level 6 UDK, the opposing team can't beat me either and it becomes a stalemate. And a stalemate means a loss since the only way to end it is to quit out.

My own defence team, with UDK in it, allmost never loses. The only teams that can beat it are ones with team player power at least 50% higher than mine.

There is a wall of these level 6 UDK teams at higher silver 3 and in silver 4. Allmost every team has him in them. There are a few that don't, and unless they have a lot more player power than my team I usually beat those (OP legos can still win though). Typically that involves them wiping the rest of my team except UDK, who doesn't die. Then what happens is either they slowly get whittled down until I win, or a stalemate happens and I quit out.

There is another situation at high levels of arena, especially 3v3, where teams are constructed around a very slow UDK in stoneskin gear. Usually with a defensive single target nuker, such as Mountain King, with the rest of the team made of protectors such as Mithrala and Ursuga, and these fights take a ton of time.

The basic strategy people are using is to make arena fights so rediculously long that people will either not fight them or quit out and take a loss so they can move on. When everyone is doing this it is going to make arena and 3v3 hell and kill that part of the game.

Dec 4, 2022, 12:1312/04/22
03/12/21
dthorne04

In Bronze/early arena, the sheer amount of these UDKs that are geared poorly and still rank 5 far outnumbers rank 6, well built UDKs. The counter to that is 6ing your starter at the very least, with Athel being a good counter due to her 3 hitter ignoring most of the passive and letting us kill the champs alongside UDK before taking care of him. 

As I covered in another thread, the alternative of adding these extra rules to low level Arena would open up other issues. Penalizing players for being luckier in the champs they pull and choose to build is a really good way to make people not want to play the game, which you seem to be worried about. 

When you get to silver 3/4 almost every team has a level 6 UDK in it. And they are built tanky with high resist, often wearing regen gear as well. Good luck killing them you are at that stage of the game.

It is NOT ok when 80-90% of your possible fights are a stalemate at best. That is not how arena is supposed to be.

Dec 4, 2022, 12:1612/04/22
03/12/21
Balltazer

I have yet to see a properly built arena team (even for early game) that struggles with UDK. What we do see a lot here are people who throw their 4 "best" champs in arena and expect them to perform. 

You apparently are not playing through that part  of the game then.

The whole point of UDK is to massively reduce damage taken by the team, and in the context of arena that is too much, especially at low levels where players typically have very limited options.

Dec 4, 2022, 13:3812/04/22
02/11/21
yellamokara

You apparently are not playing through that part  of the game then.

The whole point of UDK is to massively reduce damage taken by the team, and in the context of arena that is too much, especially at low levels where players typically have very limited options.

I reiterate my point, show me your team. I get it, "don't have champs, new account, limited options".....show me what you're using. 

Dec 4, 2022, 14:1312/04/22
07/08/19
yellamokara

Sorry dude, you are out to lunch. The level 6 UDKs make teams virtually unbeatable for an evenly powered team. Old accounts will have the champs to beat him, new ones will NOT, unless they are exceptionally lucky. New players have a limited number of champs available, fewer who are built up and even less gear that is required to do it. Even if you can beat these teams it requires an order of magnitude more effort than a team without UDK.

I have been playing for years, my ftp accounts can't kill these UDKs. They can kill the rest of the team, but by the time that is done invariably my damage dealers will be dead as well, and then he can't be killed. Since I also have a level 6 UDK, the opposing team can't beat me either and it becomes a stalemate. And a stalemate means a loss since the only way to end it is to quit out.

My own defence team, with UDK in it, allmost never loses. The only teams that can beat it are ones with team player power at least 50% higher than mine.

There is a wall of these level 6 UDK teams at higher silver 3 and in silver 4. Allmost every team has him in them. There are a few that don't, and unless they have a lot more player power than my team I usually beat those (OP legos can still win though). Typically that involves them wiping the rest of my team except UDK, who doesn't die. Then what happens is either they slowly get whittled down until I win, or a stalemate happens and I quit out.

There is another situation at high levels of arena, especially 3v3, where teams are constructed around a very slow UDK in stoneskin gear. Usually with a defensive single target nuker, such as Mountain King, with the rest of the team made of protectors such as Mithrala and Ursuga, and these fights take a ton of time.

The basic strategy people are using is to make arena fights so rediculously long that people will either not fight them or quit out and take a loss so they can move on. When everyone is doing this it is going to make arena and 3v3 hell and kill that part of the game.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but it kind of seems like your issue is that arena is... actually somewhat challenging for once? i realise it's been a while since that's been a thing and i'm certainly not one to complain about that, but it has seemed to give rise to a crop of players who think that they should be able to push into gold by the end of their first month. i can understand the desire to do so, but i don't think that having to take some time to build up your account to compete in the upper tiers of pvp makes the game unbalanced.

in regard to the very high end arena you mentioned:

1) udk isn't anywhere near as prevelant in Gold V or Gold tag team as he seems to be in the lower tiers so simply not fighting him is incredibly easy

2) the 0 speed stoneskin build is common knowledge so anyone who does choose to fight against an udk team should go into the match fully prepared to fight such a setup

and 3) anyone who is incapable of effectively countering udk frankly has no business being in those tiers in the first place.

Dec 4, 2022, 18:2712/04/22
10/15/20
yellamokara

I think you havea point in saying that UDK is the problem a new account will face in Silver 3 or 4. And, at the same time, UDK is not the problem. Sounds like an oxymoron at first glance, I know.

The real problem is the general unbalance of lower arena tiers. The fact, that somebody who just started the game and has a lvl 50 Kael, lvl 40 Warpriest, lvl 40 Sniper and lvl 40 whatever as arena team faces teams with 3 lvl 40 wahtevers and a lvl 60 UDK is a problem. But if UDK wouldn't exist at all, the same attacker would face a lvl 60 Miscreated Monster, or a lvl 60 Skullcrown, or a f...ng lvl 1 Paragon in Stoneskin. UDK is only the actual expression of the problem. New players can climb arena to fast and then reach a roadblock that gives them a bad feeling.

If a new player would climb one arena tier per week, they could reach Gold 1 in week 8 - and the slow, but continous progressing in arena would give them a good feeling. Instead they reach Silver 4 in 3 days, what may feel great at first. It makes them think they are so close to the maximum of PvP in this game, and so fast. Obviously everything they did so far in Raid was the right thing, otherwise they wouldn't have reached the last stage before Gold so fast. But then they are at the roadblock and don't progress any further. That gives them a bad feeling and leads to complain-threads in the forum. 

The players at the roadblock don't have the champs and gear to beat any well built team consisting of lvl 60 champs. If the roadblock comes in the form of UDK, or Miscreated Monster, or Mithrala or Apothecary or Vogoth doesn't matter. I've seen a thread here in the forum (some months ago, long before UDK) where somebody literally complained that the champ Kael would to overpowered. A speed team nuked him, and as Kael did the final blow and wiped out his whole team with one well prepared strike, the player thought Kael would be out of balance. Kael! The overpowered arena champ nobody can beat. Of course literally any(!) champ with proper AoE damage would have done exactly the same Kael did.

New players don't go through early arena to slow because of lvl 60 UDK. They go through early arena to fast and therefore meet lvl 60 UDK before they are prepared to beat him. A well equiped, single lvl 60 Apothecary would force a stalemate as well as UDK does.

Dec 4, 2022, 20:5212/04/22
02/11/21
Skadi

I think you havea point in saying that UDK is the problem a new account will face in Silver 3 or 4. And, at the same time, UDK is not the problem. Sounds like an oxymoron at first glance, I know.

The real problem is the general unbalance of lower arena tiers. The fact, that somebody who just started the game and has a lvl 50 Kael, lvl 40 Warpriest, lvl 40 Sniper and lvl 40 whatever as arena team faces teams with 3 lvl 40 wahtevers and a lvl 60 UDK is a problem. But if UDK wouldn't exist at all, the same attacker would face a lvl 60 Miscreated Monster, or a lvl 60 Skullcrown, or a f...ng lvl 1 Paragon in Stoneskin. UDK is only the actual expression of the problem. New players can climb arena to fast and then reach a roadblock that gives them a bad feeling.

If a new player would climb one arena tier per week, they could reach Gold 1 in week 8 - and the slow, but continous progressing in arena would give them a good feeling. Instead they reach Silver 4 in 3 days, what may feel great at first. It makes them think they are so close to the maximum of PvP in this game, and so fast. Obviously everything they did so far in Raid was the right thing, otherwise they wouldn't have reached the last stage before Gold so fast. But then they are at the roadblock and don't progress any further. That gives them a bad feeling and leads to complain-threads in the forum. 

The players at the roadblock don't have the champs and gear to beat any well built team consisting of lvl 60 champs. If the roadblock comes in the form of UDK, or Miscreated Monster, or Mithrala or Apothecary or Vogoth doesn't matter. I've seen a thread here in the forum (some months ago, long before UDK) where somebody literally complained that the champ Kael would to overpowered. A speed team nuked him, and as Kael did the final blow and wiped out his whole team with one well prepared strike, the player thought Kael would be out of balance. Kael! The overpowered arena champ nobody can beat. Of course literally any(!) champ with proper AoE damage would have done exactly the same Kael did.

New players don't go through early arena to slow because of lvl 60 UDK. They go through early arena to fast and therefore meet lvl 60 UDK before they are prepared to beat him. A well equiped, single lvl 60 Apothecary would force a stalemate as well as UDK does.

I remember those days - bringing a 44K team to be wiped out by a single 29K Kael, that's when I learned that a properly built champ can challenge an entire improperly built team, no matter who the champs are. 

What's funny is new guys think this never happened before UDK. I just hope they learn something by the time they meet Wythir the Crowned. 

Dec 11, 2022, 10:5012/11/22
12/15/19
harleQuinn

There have been 4 free legendaries over the past year or so. Ninja, Aleks. Deliana. UDK.

So you've missed four of them based on your start date, which stinks, sure. But these have all been limited time free offers only.

However, based on that we're seeing a new Login Legendary every few months, I would strongly suspect you'll get another shot at one soon.  :)

The question still stands why are there  time limited legendarys there is no reason for it. I stopped playing this game 2 years ago and i wanted to look into it because i still see a lot of adds for this game. The Arena is full with free Death Knights and Ninja i cant get any of them if i wanted to so in other words there is no reason for old players to return to this game if you cant catch up.

Dec 11, 2022, 11:3412/11/22
11/19/22

The longer you go without playing the game, the more champions you miss out on! Ronda certainly makes for a great UDK counter. :)

Dec 11, 2022, 11:4712/11/22
10/25/19

How is this thread not dead yet? Seriously why are people still going on about UDK. He's pretty much useless in arena.  The only 'struggle' I've had with DK is when mighty ukko and mithrala were on the same team.  

Dec 11, 2022, 11:4912/11/22
10/25/19
Almostperfect

The question still stands why are there  time limited legendarys there is no reason for it. I stopped playing this game 2 years ago and i wanted to look into it because i still see a lot of adds for this game. The Arena is full with free Death Knights and Ninja i cant get any of them if i wanted to so in other words there is no reason for old players to return to this game if you cant catch up.

Exactly. So just leave again and save yourself the frustration and tears.

Dec 23, 2022, 18:3712/23/22
02/23/20

UDK Everywhere oO (balanced?)