Live arena sucks

Search
Comments
harleQuinnModerator
May 15, 2023, 18:4405/15/23
02/24/19
Trips

Maybe in your Platinum world :)

I think Silver will end up with a very diffent Meta, with lots of different possibilities working well for different folks.  Speed, bombs, ... If people actually start participating in live that is, even just to contribute to the points influx.  I am doing my part speed running (W or L) at the bottom of silver 2.

I wish I thought the same way about Silver really opening up that much. Maybe towards the bottom I guess, after there is much more time for people to move up.

From what I am hearing, there is still only the tiniest fraction of folks actually in Silver (at least compared to the full population). 

May 15, 2023, 18:5105/15/23
06/25/20

In all honesty, I expect that has more to do with the state of the game in general, and with the manner in which live arena is interacted with.

Locking live arena into a specific time period automatically makes it quite challenging for most people to participate. I expect the vast majority of people have at most two of the four blocks available, and most of those probably are restricted to just one.

Then, within that block, you also have to deal with the fact that there is simply too much stuff to actually do. You can't reasonably expect most people to commit huge amounts of time to the game, and so the amount of time they do have tends to be used towards other content, which doesn't leave much to live arena.

May 15, 2023, 19:0305/15/23
10/01/22

small numbers of arena coins daily, limited time availability to do the content, and the first few months of this update in brozne was level 50s being slain by level 100s,most lower/mid tier probably dont even do live arena daily because of this, then we sit and wonder why ranking system has progressed so little since it was launched.

why wont plarium do the right thing and issue at the very least more live arena tokens to help people fall into rank faster and create more balanced content

May 15, 2023, 19:3805/15/23
05/26/22

I am not sure if I am punching above my weight in silver at level 60 but I think I have probably faced two people in all my time in live arena that were of a lower level. One person must either spend a ton of money or is the luckiest person alive with his RNG because his team was stacked. 

May 15, 2023, 21:3905/15/23
12/19/19
oblivion01332

small numbers of arena coins daily, limited time availability to do the content, and the first few months of this update in brozne was level 50s being slain by level 100s,most lower/mid tier probably dont even do live arena daily because of this, then we sit and wonder why ranking system has progressed so little since it was launched.

why wont plarium do the right thing and issue at the very least more live arena tokens to help people fall into rank faster and create more balanced content

No point in giving more tokens, most are not using the 10 per day. That is the problem. 

May 15, 2023, 21:5905/15/23
10/01/22
Trips

No point in giving more tokens, most are not using the 10 per day. That is the problem. 

but that problem only happened because they issued such a small number to begin which caused end game players to be sat in bronze/silver for over a month using lvl 50-60-70-80-90s as food for and the lower/mid/even some higher end levels gave up even taking part in the content , only way to fix it is getting top tier players out of lower ranks and where they belong but starting to think its far to late for this. the content is dead to a lot of people now i imagine after the experience they had to go through.

May 16, 2023, 00:1005/16/23
06/25/20
oblivion01332

but that problem only happened because they issued such a small number to begin which caused end game players to be sat in bronze/silver for over a month using lvl 50-60-70-80-90s as food for and the lower/mid/even some higher end levels gave up even taking part in the content , only way to fix it is getting top tier players out of lower ranks and where they belong but starting to think its far to late for this. the content is dead to a lot of people now i imagine after the experience they had to go through.

No. The problem has nothing to do with the number of tokens. It is entirely based around what you can do with your real-world time.

May 16, 2023, 01:0005/16/23
04/24/19

Live arena sucks because - just like 3v3 arena - it is purely based on the best speed gear and nothing else.  Such a dumb mechanic to have speed basically the only thing that matters - regardless of the champs.

May 16, 2023, 01:0505/16/23
10/01/22
kramaswamy.kr

No. The problem has nothing to do with the number of tokens. It is entirely based around what you can do with your real-world time.

if they added more arena tokens at the start (5 was an absolute joke and whoever added that is probably still laughing over it) then ranks never would have become this congested, you can only progres so much with 10 tokensa day unless ur willing to spend gems on refills, all fault of the failed launch falls on plarium,poorly executed.

dthorne04Moderator
May 16, 2023, 01:1105/16/23
12/30/20
Smerf

Live arena sucks because - just like 3v3 arena - it is purely based on the best speed gear and nothing else.  Such a dumb mechanic to have speed basically the only thing that matters - regardless of the champs.

this goes away at a certain point, much like it does in 3v3 arena. we are in far from a speed meta at the present time, though speed does do better in live than it does in any comparable areas of difficulty relative to the other two PvP formats. 

May 16, 2023, 01:1205/16/23
10/01/22
Smerf

i do feel ur pain on this one, kind of kills the versatility of the game

dthorne04Moderator
May 16, 2023, 01:1405/16/23
12/30/20
oblivion01332

if they added more arena tokens at the start (5 was an absolute joke and whoever added that is probably still laughing over it) then ranks never would have become this congested, you can only progres so much with 10 tokensa day unless ur willing to spend gems on refills, all fault of the failed launch falls on plarium,poorly executed.

we would have largely the same style of complaints. 

though instead we'd be hearing of everyone hardstuck at 1300 in silver 1, quitting due to losing 75% of their fights, every single day.

May 16, 2023, 01:2105/16/23
10/01/22
dthorne04

we would have largely the same style of complaints. 

though instead we'd be hearing of everyone hardstuck at 1300 in silver 1, quitting due to losing 75% of their fights, every single day.

tbh i dont take part in live arena much, mainly because its such a complete coinflip who ur matched against, tag and classic arena ill go through the effort of using my arena tokens every day, live arena its not unusual for me to go 2-3 days without taking part in it at all, i virtually almost completely ignore the content because of the way the lauch went, i imagine a lot of people have this same mind set towards it, especially lower levels, and as far as i know most people are hard stuck in silver, even the end game players :D

May 16, 2023, 01:2605/16/23
06/25/20
oblivion01332

tbh i dont take part in live arena much, mainly because its such a complete coinflip who ur matched against, tag and classic arena ill go through the effort of using my arena tokens every day, live arena its not unusual for me to go 2-3 days without taking part in it at all, i virtually almost completely ignore the content because of the way the lauch went, i imagine a lot of people have this same mind set towards it, especially lower levels, and as far as i know most people are hard stuck in silver, even the end game players :D

And just based on your description of your daily activities, my guess is you spend several hours a day on this game. There's nothing wrong with that at all - but it also doesn't represent the majority of the playerbase.

While the game *does* need to provide people like you with content, locking the content in during specific hours essentially locks the majority of the playerbase *out* of the content. And the consequence of that is the pool of players that are left are heavily weighted towards those who are much more active.

And the consequence of *that* is that the pool of players is also heavily weighted towards the higher-leveled/geared/experienced players. Which makes people like you unfortunately suffer the consequence.

May 16, 2023, 01:5905/16/23
10/01/22
kramaswamy.kr

And just based on your description of your daily activities, my guess is you spend several hours a day on this game. There's nothing wrong with that at all - but it also doesn't represent the majority of the playerbase.

While the game *does* need to provide people like you with content, locking the content in during specific hours essentially locks the majority of the playerbase *out* of the content. And the consequence of that is the pool of players that are left are heavily weighted towards those who are much more active.

And the consequence of *that* is that the pool of players is also heavily weighted towards the higher-leveled/geared/experienced players. Which makes people like you unfortunately suffer the consequence.

i agree the open hours of live arena really dont help this case at all, but im guessing plarium limited the time slots for a reason (maybe server costs to much to host it 24/7) but again if that was the case then they should have compensated it with more arena coins so people could at least do more battles in a shorter period of time (example like u say some people may only be able to use one of the time slots per day due to work/other commitments) so they end up missing out on content, and all were left with right now is an army of level 100s beating the shit out of each other in silver still.

May 16, 2023, 02:0105/16/23
06/25/20

No, they locked the content into specific time periods in order to artificially create scarcity, so that they could increase the number of players participating, in order to ensure there's enough players to not have anyone waiting.

It's a common problem that is faced by companies large and small. Without enough players, you either have very long wait times between matches, or you have matches that are not fairly weighted. 

May 16, 2023, 02:0705/16/23
10/01/22
kramaswamy.kr

No, they locked the content into specific time periods in order to artificially create scarcity, so that they could increase the number of players participating, in order to ensure there's enough players to not have anyone waiting.

It's a common problem that is faced by companies large and small. Without enough players, you either have very long wait times between matches, or you have matches that are not fairly weighted. 

thats true never thought about the que times,could be a bit eratic it was open 24 / 7, well if this is the case i dont see the harm in them opening live arena for an extra hr on each opening, but again with the lack arena coins u get its probably not worth increasing it either.

May 16, 2023, 22:3805/16/23
06/07/21

For the last 3 or 4 days I've been stuck on the boundary of Silver I and Silver II.  While my teams in Silver I can beat most of the other teams I'm matched with, that mostly seem to be very level Silver I (& an occasional Bronze) i.e. FOOD.  However, when I cross into Silver II the majority of my Matches are Upper Silver II that I really don't have a chance against and I am the FOOD.  My average for the last few days has been 4 wins out of 10 Battles.  There's been a real loss of motivation with always endding up where I started every day.  I have no idea how to fix this mess, but they need to find a better way to match player.  Maybe they do want a stalemate.

Note for some strange reason I was in Beta, and I had a similar experience, but since I never got oout of Bronze I didn't fall backwards.  Near the end of Beta I just mostly faced the OP teams.

May 17, 2023, 05:0605/17/23
11/19/22

Would be good if Plarium could balance the live arena bots to better match their opponents!

I've encountered one bot a couple of times - I think it's called AshKetchum - who can field Gnishak, Lydia, Ukko (stoneskin), Madame Serris, and I think Duchess. 

This is against me, who has only been playing 6 months - just got Scyl today - and only been able to do Normal Hydra for a couple of weeks, so there should be no way I'd be expected to match a player who can field Lydia and anyone in stoneskin!

Maybe factoring account age for matching would be helpful? :)

May 17, 2023, 05:2805/17/23
09/14/20
Fathertron

Would be good if Plarium could balance the live arena bots to better match their opponents!

I've encountered one bot a couple of times - I think it's called AshKetchum - who can field Gnishak, Lydia, Ukko (stoneskin), Madame Serris, and I think Duchess. 

This is against me, who has only been playing 6 months - just got Scyl today - and only been able to do Normal Hydra for a couple of weeks, so there should be no way I'd be expected to match a player who can field Lydia and anyone in stoneskin!

Maybe factoring account age for matching would be helpful? :)

Would be problematic...imagine a fresh whale who has a fairly young account but most of the meta champs? He would artificially dominating LA.

Account age does not really indicate power in terms of whales.