All Categories

Captcha Required on Log In

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Apr 20, 2019, 09:4904/20/19
07/10/14

A few people are complaining to me that Captcha is now required to log into the game as of yesterday.

Apparently the Captcha's involved are the really annoying ones that take multiple screens to complete (e.g. keep pressing until all the xyz are gone).

Given the game has significant loading times (that is just flash nothing can be done about that), bombards you with useless pop ups as soon as you log in, it wasn't quick to access the game to begin with. Suffice to say the people affected are pretty annoyed. 

Now strangely it seems to affect some people and not others.

So my questions is, was this deliberate from Plarium or was it unintended or a bug?

Second question, if deliberate why has it affected only some people and not others.

With regards whether Captcha actually works verus dedicated spammers - state of the forum this morning https://prnt.sc/nehqpe (represents a couple of days worth of spam as yesterdays hasn't been cleaned up yet)

Views
Comments
Comments
Apr 20, 2019, 16:3104/20/19
04/13/15
it's been around for months, lol.
Apr 21, 2019, 01:3904/21/19
Apr 21, 2019, 01:41(edited)
07/10/14

I have seen it for logging into the forums but not for logging into the game.

I searched forums for other versions of the game and it seems they have introduced Captcha for log to the game this weekend.
Apr 21, 2019, 08:4304/21/19
01/29/18

I really wanna know who in Plarium is responsible for pulling these ideas out of his AS* every now and then to amaze us? PLARIUM! Please stop this stupidity, or at least make your game less "disconnecting" before trying to introduce a captcha.

Also, captcha is usually needed every couple of logins or every few days, NOT EVERY LOGIN for god sake!
Apr 21, 2019, 13:3704/21/19
09/29/16

djmoody said:

I have seen it for logging into the forums but not for logging into the game.

I searched forums for other versions of the game and it seems they have introduced Captcha for log to the game this weekend.

I have heard of the same issue, including from VIP friends.

It is old stuff for Forum - I have had to verify bridges and overpasses - but this is a first for game login. 

I hope this is a temporary bug and not a sign of things to come. There is zero need for game login Captchas. We have enough stuff to click before we can play already.
Apr 22, 2019, 10:3904/22/19
03/05/19
Hello, Lords. I'll discuss this matter with devs. However, I think that the captcha was implemented in order to protect this forum from spambots. 
Apr 22, 2019, 11:0004/22/19
07/25/15

Boris Shevchenko said:

Hello, Lords. I'll discuss this matter with devs. However, I think that the captcha was implemented in order to protect this forum from spambots. 

A two step verification process before you can even start to post anything at all to start with, would probably be better in that regard. Bot's getting more and more clever in regard of deal with captcha too. 

BiohazarDModerator
Apr 22, 2019, 18:3904/22/19
10/04/13
djmoody said:

A few people are complaining to me that Captcha is now required to log into the game as of yesterday.

Apparently the Captcha's involved are the really annoying ones that take multiple screens to complete (e.g. keep pressing until all the xyz are gone).

Given the game has significant loading times (that is just flash nothing can be done about that), bombards you with useless pop ups as soon as you log in, it wasn't quick to access the game to begin with. Suffice to say the people affected are pretty annoyed. 

Now strangely it seems to affect some people and not others.

So my questions is, was this deliberate from Plarium or was it unintended or a bug?

Second question, if deliberate why has it affected only some people and not others.

With regards whether Captcha actually works verus dedicated spammers - state of the forum this morning https://prnt.sc/nehqpe (represents a couple of days worth of spam as yesterdays hasn't been cleaned up yet)

It's probably intended to stop the bots that have been creating sectors and spamming everybody with in game mails.  It only seems to pop up if you log into multiple accounts quickly.  
BiohazarDModerator
Apr 22, 2019, 18:4004/22/19
10/04/13
Gadheras said:

Boris Shevchenko said:

A two step verification process before you can even start to post anything at all to start with, would probably be better in that regard. Bot's getting more and more clever in regard of deal with captcha too. 

Yeah I guess we'll see how effective it is, some of the newer bot systems have already figured out how to do captchas o.0
Apr 22, 2019, 21:4004/22/19
07/10/14

Boris Shevchenko said:

Just to be clear we are posting about the use of Captcha to log into the game.

We have seen the issues with spambots on the forum so can understand the use of Captcha to protect the forums (not that it seems to have been particularly successful - although I guess maybe it would be worse without it).

Apr 23, 2019, 14:3204/23/19
04/13/15
no alts here :), and that captcha for forum board is quite annoying,  even when you click on all the cars sometimes it says you did not. 
Apr 23, 2019, 22:4104/23/19
05/10/14

So the solution for forum spam is introducing Google re captcha for game login.

I kind of understand why.... once you are logged into the game you have access to all forums.

Surely there was a better solution

1. as someone already suggested ... introduce 2FA .... (but that requires work, does it)

2. ask for user and password when you try to access forums (keep login sessions for forums and games separate) .... (but i guess that also requires a developer to spend about two hours to do)

I must admit solution 1 is better and more elegant that the second but both would work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But no, they go for option 3.  spend max 10 minutes an just slap in Google recaptcha and make it extra sensitive

Today i had to pick out fire hydrants, cars, busses,  about 10 times to actually login

It seems to me that Plarium has max 2 developers for this game and they are not very well paid.

Cause no respectable team would do such a half a** job.

The other one is their app ..... isn't that a joke

You make it "cross platform" Only mac and OSX .... what about people using Linux or Chrome Book's

You could have used Electron (Truly cross platform) since it is only a shell for a browser using flash anyways

Apr 24, 2019, 13:4904/24/19
09/29/16

Why go to such extremes to eliminate Forum spam? It is silly.

Get everyone up in arms with Captchas and verifying bridges, carparks, and whatnot that doesn't even work properly, when all you need is a Mod or three that are in the right timezone?

Most Forum spam is posted by Korean, Vietnamese and other Asian "entrepreneurs" in their afternoons when they think/know that the rest of the world is asleep and they might get a couple of potential hits on their funny stuff. (Please do not assume any racial undertones. None are intended. Facts first).

That means someone - or 3 - needs to patrol Forums intermittently between noon and 7pm Perth, Hong Kong, Singapore time. (+/- for DST)

Do that and the rest of Plarium can log in to game without hassles.
Apr 25, 2019, 11:2704/25/19
03/05/19
Thank you for all your feedback, Lords. I'll pass it on accordingly. Also, we're preparing a brand new version of our Plarium Games App and I hope it will be more comfortable for use. 
Apr 26, 2019, 01:0804/26/19
07/11/13
Boris Shevchenko said:

Thank you for all your feedback, Lords. I'll pass it on accordingly. Also, we're preparing a brand new version of our Plarium Games App and I hope it will be more comfortable for use. 
The App doesn't work.
Apr 26, 2019, 07:3004/26/19
03/05/19

Skycooldude said:

Boris Shevchenko said:

The App doesn't work.

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. Please, try to delete completely the old version of the app from your computer and download the new one. Here is a link for you >>>

https://plarium.com/en/plarium-play/

Apr 26, 2019, 08:0204/26/19
07/10/14

Still not working for me.

I went to add/remove programs to uninstall the app, then downloaded it again from the link you provided.

Is there more I need to do to "completely remove" it initially?

Apr 26, 2019, 11:2904/26/19
09/29/16

1. Uninstall old version. 

2. Delete icon from start bar 

3. Restart computer <<<<

4. Download app again.

Apr 26, 2019, 21:0504/26/19
07/10/14

I am all sorted now.

Thanks to everyone for their help and tips.