All Categories

Total Domination - Lack of Balance?

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Apr 30, 2017, 21:2804/30/17
07/03/16

So, every game usually has its big, bad wolf that eventually ends up taking over the entire map. It's okay I guess, that's part of the game... If you don't like it, don't play, right?

Games that do nothing about it, end up dying as "minority" players quit, and the "big, bad wolf" players get bored as any resistance vanishes. 

Other games, do something about it, such as putting greater challenges for those who hold territory, such as periodically allowing "beachheads" where any league/clan can attack a territory, or revolts take place, or resources are harder to come by.  Other games even reset the map periodically.

What say you? Currently, a league could control the entire map, and nothing would happen to change that. Is that balanced? Definitely not. Should it be changed? Maybe . Is it killing the game? For some. 

Views
Comments
Comments
BiohazarDModerator
May 1, 2017, 09:5305/01/17
10/04/13
djmoody said:

It is impossible for 1 league to own the entire map.

While people have coined stupid sizes hammers that can threaten any single beacon in the game, there are 500+ beacons, so no matter how much coining goes on, a league isn't going to end up with a level of defence that can hold 500+ beacons. 

The biggest single beacons holdings in the server I am on is about 25. There are 50+ leagues with beacons, the beacons holding is actually highly spread among many leagues.

If you want balance what you need to ask for is an end to the ability to buy infinite troops immediately. With Plarium you can simply buy end game, without any need to actually participate in any game-play whatsoever.

Btw Total Domination is the name of another Plarium title, so your posts is open to a bit of confusion.

Yeah I was a bit confused by the post title, I'm pretty sure he's talking about stormfall though.  And there's no way a single league could hold every beacon, there are too many big hammers out there that even a group of coiners couldn't stack them all enough to be safe. 
BiohazarDModerator
May 1, 2017, 09:5505/01/17
10/04/13
failreroll said:

So, every game usually has its big, bad wolf that eventually ends up taking over the entire map. It's okay I guess, that's part of the game... If you don't like it, don't play, right?

Games that do nothing about it, end up dying as "minority" players quit, and the "big, bad wolf" players get bored as any resistance vanishes. 

Other games, do something about it, such as putting greater challenges for those who hold territory, such as periodically allowing "beachheads" where any league/clan can attack a territory, or revolts take place, or resources are harder to come by.  Other games even reset the map periodically.

What say you? Currently, a league could control the entire map, and nothing would happen to change that. Is that balanced? Definitely not. Should it be changed? Maybe . Is it killing the game? For some. 

It takes too long to actually build troops in the game for plarium to have events like that.  It would just give the big coiners even more of an advantage, since they could recover troops more quickly than players who have to resource raid and build them. 
May 2, 2017, 14:0605/02/17
07/25/15
In old Planetarion the solved this with after a few months when a certain entity became to powerfull. They ended the round, crowned a winner, and announced the next round. It gave the game a purpose and goal too. Sadly with Plarium games its not possible, as it just keep drag out forever and give no real room for new up and commers as they get nuked before the can start blossom
May 3, 2017, 08:0405/03/17
10/31/14
Gadheras said:

In old Planetarion the solved this with after a few months when a certain entity became to powerfull. They ended the round, crowned a winner, and announced the next round. It gave the game a purpose and goal too. Sadly with Plarium games its not possible, as it just keep drag out forever and give no real room for new up and commers as they get nuked before the can start blossom
It could be possible. after 10 years, we can restart again. I will gladly play Stormfall V2. 
May 3, 2017, 10:0105/03/17
07/25/15
Oracle said:

Gadheras said:

It could be possible. after 10 years, we can restart again. I will gladly play Stormfall V2. 
no, and no. lol 10 yrs? You for real. 1 year? yeah maybe
Alyona KolomiitsevaCommunity Manager
May 3, 2017, 11:5105/03/17
09/17/15

failreroll said:

Actually, you've mentioned a serious issue. And one of our tasks is to make sure there'll be no League dominating the entire server. I like your idea about the epic events for major Leagues, but I'm not sure if other players will support it as well. 

It won't be an event where everyone can participate.
May 4, 2017, 22:4705/04/17
03/24/14
Im a first time writer could plaruim put in an update that doesnt allow top 10 teamsally or be at peace with each other or ally this way smaller and newer league can develop with out being crushed afterall the top 10 would be looking over thier shoulder to see whos attacking whothe fighting at the top would grow hence more money for plaruim
May 5, 2017, 09:3105/05/17
10/31/14
God buddy said:

Im a first time writer could plaruim put in an update that doesnt allow top 10 teamsally or be at peace with each other or ally this way smaller and newer league can develop with out being crushed afterall the top 10 would be looking over thier shoulder to see whos attacking whothe fighting at the top would grow hence more money for plaruim
Excellent Idea, Can you please put it int the suggestion. Click here to forward your suggestion. 
May 5, 2017, 10:5705/05/17
07/25/15

Alyona Kolomiitseva said:

failreroll said:

Actually, you've mentioned a serious issue. And one of our tasks is to make sure there'll be no League dominating the entire server. I like your idea about the epic events for major Leagues, but I'm not sure if other players will support it as well. 

You could tier cide epic events, but they need to be of such a level it need a more or less league wide effort to achieve. 

You could also play around with XP and such. So if a much larger player hit a smaller one, they recieve very little XP for doing so, but the one being attacked would recieve a lot more. So XP gain/bonus is relative to level dispersion between the players interacting. It would only have to work on a DEF basis though. 
May 8, 2017, 21:4205/08/17
01/27/15

Oracle said:

God buddy said:

Excellent Idea, Can you please put it int the suggestion. Click here to forward your suggestion. 

Actually it is not an excellent idea for the simple fact that the top leagues would just meet on teamspeak and create a NAP agreement and all the programmers work to stop the top leagues from ally or peace would be for nothing. 
May 9, 2017, 04:1505/09/17
12/18/14
Gadheras said:

failreroll said:

You could tier cide epic events, but they need to be of such a level it need a more or less league wide effort to achieve. 

You could also play around with XP and such. So if a much larger player hit a smaller one, they recieve very little XP for doing so, but the one being attacked would recieve a lot more. So XP gain/bonus is relative to level dispersion between the players interacting. It would only have to work on a DEF basis though. 
I like that - I see a lot of level 80 players hitting level 60ish player and they say the gap is not that far but it takes a lot more experience to level up in the higher levels and the lower levels move quick so a level 60ish player cannot compete with a level 70+ player 
BiohazarDModerator
May 12, 2017, 07:2405/12/17
10/04/13

Gadheras said:

failreroll said:

Or you could base the xp reward on the net power of the troops instead of the base power.  So you'd get more points for killing the same troops if the other player had higher lost arts/ was running more boosts etc. because the troops you killed were stronger. 
May 12, 2017, 09:4605/12/17
07/25/15
BiohazarD said:

Gadheras said:

failreroll said:

Or you could base the xp reward on the net power of the troops instead of the base power.  So you'd get more points for killing the same troops if the other player had higher lost arts/ was running more boosts etc. because the troops you killed were stronger. 
kill archers with dragons, get no xp. kill griffins, get max?  xp based on disperssion between unit strength could be nice too.
BiohazarDModerator
May 13, 2017, 19:4405/13/17
10/04/13
Gadheras said:

BiohazarD said:

Gadheras said:

failreroll said:

kill archers with dragons, get no xp. kill griffins, get max?  xp based on disperssion between unit strength could be nice too.
Maybe, but that could easily be exploited.  Especially by the people buying like 500k archers from the bots.  I know I'd be pretty upset if I lost a few thousand dragons hitting a castle stacked with archers and got 0 xp :0
BiohazarDModerator
May 13, 2017, 19:4705/13/17
10/04/13
Oracle said:

God buddy said:

Actually, that would be almost completely useless.  Most of the deals between top leagues are made in teamspeak, not through in game status.  Not allowing them to set ally status in game would just be inconvenient. It wouldn't stop them from smashing smaller leagues. 
The topic is locked. You cannot post comments.