This is Holmgang!
Jarls, find out everything you need to know about the new epic Competition!
Holmgang is an epic Competition that is held between different Clans. In this Competition, Jarls will have to destroy and defend new Fortresses – Forts. The Clan that earns the most points for destroying Forts wins.
A new location
The Competition takes place on the Islands of Trials. This is a separate mini-Kingdom with Forts, where the battles take place
You can relocate to this new location by using the Journey to Holmgang item.
To relocate to the Islands of Trials, the following conditions must be met:
- Your account was created more than 30 days ago
- You are the member of a Clan that is participating in Holmgang
- Your Palace is level 21 or higher
- You don't have any active marches or troops in garrisons
- The Competition is active and more than 5 minutes are left until it ends
The Competition process
After the Competition has been announced, players receive a push notification that the registration period has started. To participate in Holmgang, the Chief or a Clan Elder must submit an application.
The following conditions must also be met:
- Your Clan must have been created at least 30 minutes before the Competition was announced
- Your Clan must have 500,000,000,000 Influence points or more
- Your Kingdom must be at least 30 days old
Selecting a time
To submit an application, a convenient time period for battles in Holmgang must be selected. The number of places for each time period is restricted: the application form window displays the number of Clans that have chosen a particular time.
The choice can only be made once per Competition and cannot be changed.
After the Chief or a Clan Elder has submitted an application, all Clan members receive a system message.
When the application period is over, the process of assigning opponents begins.
In Holmgang, participating Clans are divided into special Leagues. If a Clan is taking part in the Competition for the first time, it will be in the lowest League. After each Holmgang Competition, the points are counted up and the winning Clans are promoted to the next League, while those that lost are demoted to the one below.
During the first Holmgang Competition, all Clans will be in the same League.
Opposing Clans are matched up within their League according to their Influence. Once an opponent has been assigned, you can view it in the Competition window.
The Competition lasts 22 hours and includes the following periods:
- Waiting – the time before battles start and the time after they have ended
- Battles – the period of time that the Clan chose when applying
During the battle period, Clans are given time to prepare. After that, one Clan starts defending the Forts while the opposing Clan attacks them. Then, after a break, the Clans change sides and fight for the Forts again. The roles are assigned at random and change after every phase.
There are two types of tasks for which Clans receive points:
- Destroying Forts (to earn points in Holmgang)
- Killing any enemy troops on the Islands of Trials (to earn points for personal and Clan achievements)
Forts are Fortresses on the Islands of Trials. They contain resources and neutral troops – Island Guards.
Each Fort is surrounded by Dark Swamps. Your Town can't be situated in these Swamps and have an active Peace Treaty at the same time. You can, however, use a Peace Treaty on the five central islands of the Kingdom.
Three Forts are given to each Clan on the Islands of Trials. During battles, the Clan that is defending a Fort can send reinforcements and set traps there. You can attack your opponents' Forts, as well as send an Onslaught or espionage there.
You can only interact with Forts that belong to your Clan or to your rivals. You cannot perform any actions with Fortresses that belong to Clans that are not your opponents.
In the next phase, the level of the Forts changes, but their location remains the same.
You can interact with Forts in various ways in each phase of the Competition:
- The waiting period: you can only view information about a Fortress.
- Preparation for an attack: during this period, a Clan cannot perform any actions in Forts, just as during the waiting period.
- Preparation for defense: a Peace Treaty is activated in all Forts, and your Clan members can send reinforcements to the Fortresses that belong to your Clan and set traps there.
- Attack/defense: Forts become vulnerable to attack, Onslaughts, or espionage. The defending Clan can still send reinforcements to their Fortresses and set traps there.
A Fort can have one of two statuses: intact and destroyed. If a Fortress is successfully attacked at least once, it is considered destroyed. The attacking Clan can still send troops to a Fort that has been destroyed to plunder the remaining resources (no points will be scored for doing so, however). The defending Clan cannot send reinforcements to a burning Fort or set traps there.
The Chief and Clan Elders can enhance the defenses of the Forts by using traps that provide bonuses against various troop types. A particular trap can only be set once in 24 hours.
To unlock and upgrade traps, you need to construct the Trap Workshop in the Clan Stronghold. You can start an upgrade process in the Trap Workshop at the same time as learning Knowledge in the Shamans' Residence.
The Trap Workshop can be built from Stronghold level 1 and can be upgraded by using the Precious Dust item. This item is also required in order to activate traps in a Fort.
The end of the Competition
When the battles are over, the waiting period for the end of Holmgang starts.
After the points have been calculated, the winner is revealed. The Clan that earns the most points for destroying Forts wins. If the score is tied, the Clan that earns the most points for killing warriors wins.
Rewards for the winners
In addition to trophies for personal achievements, all Jarls from the winning Clan receive military bonuses. These depend on the Holmgang League in which the Clan was placed during the Competition, and are active for seven days.