All Categories

I've had this idea for a while now:

Search
Apr 15, 2021, 22:2704/15/21
07/25/17

From Wiki: 

"Vikings were the seafairing Norse people from southern Scandinavia, who from the late 8th to late 11th centuries raided, pirated, traided, and settled throughout parts of Europe."

As a game, you have the raided and pirating part down, plenty of attacking and looting going on in this game. Epic battles definitely abound. You have the settling part down, joining clans and forming tribal bonds. What this game entirely lacks is the trade aspect of Viking culture, and there is no shortage of items that could be traided around. 

Gold nuggets for example. Once your town is upgraded fully, and you've gotten the planner achievement maxed out, there is no use for gold nuggets anymore, but you still earn them in contests sometimes. Same with Obsidian. Once your T7 tech tree is maxed out, there is no need for them any more, but you still earn them mining level 8 and 9 mines. Other items could include invader materials, you only need some for making and upgrading your hero gear while others build up that someone else might be willing to trade for. Gems, hero keys, rune fragments, bronze, manuscripts, totems, warriors drafts, soul shards, star shards, tons of different types of scrolls from resource scrolls to upgrading scrolls to fighting scrolls. In other words, pretty much any item aside from basic resources that we can already send to each other in convoys. 

Items such as these and more, could be bought and sold for gold, or just traded across on terms that any 2 parties can agree on. I'd recommend a laissez faire approach from Plarium, where instead of trying to make set prices or trade value for these items, you allow each individual Viking decide on what they'd be willing to trade and/or sell items for, and any transactions be agreed upon by them. 

I imagine my suggestion taking form not entirely unlike Holmgang or Jotunheim. A seperate place, perhaps islands like Holmgang, or a whole other map like Jotunheim, but a different place Vikings can journy to for the purpose of barter and/or commerce of in game items with each other. It could always be open like one can always journey to Helheim, or it can occur occassionally like Holmgang or Jotunheim. The purpose of this place wouldn't necessarily be fighting, but I suppose there's no reason why fighting couldn't happen there too. 

What's in it for Plarium? Well, you could do like what you do with convoys, and extract a tax rate on transactions involving gold, or perhaps make each transaction cost a small set fee of gold, or perhaps you could make the pass to get to this place an item(like great relocation scrolls, journy to Holmgang, or guide to Jotunheim). They could be earned by passing so many checkpoints in certain contests insuring continued game play to use this land of marketing. You could sell passes like drakaars in bank offers, though I'd hate to see that be the only way one can get there. You could make passes available in the clan store. There are any number of ways Plarium could benefit along with us Viking users from this idea. 

We do not need any more big fighting in game contests. There is already plenty of fortress fighting; POP, SH's, Towers of Fury, Jotunheim, and Holmgang, as well as plenty of town and tile fighting. We do not need more fighting upgrades. The amount of upgrades one has to do to become a powerful fighter is already overwhelming and discouraging to newer players. What we do need, especially if you'd like to reel those newer players in and keep them interested, is more ways to gain these valuable in game items that help them grow to become powerful fighters. 

I really think an upgrade such as this one would add a lot to the Vikings community and gaming experience. 

Views
Comments
Comments
Apr 16, 2021, 00:4604/16/21
Apr 16, 2021, 01:02(edited)
06/21/17

I do not see that your dressed version is any different ,or has a greater chance of being implemented than the basic ,and much asked, ' can we trade items? 'or ' can we gift items? '(give me a break.) 

There is no need for a seperate place for trading, it would just add more pressure on the server, even if the current way was used, nor for gifting, the gift button is there already, unactivated.

The nobleness of your suggestion , would be excellent if that is what it truely was, and was faithfully  and selfishlessly  executed, but that would be like living in cloud cuckoo land.

As for taxing, as  in when moving resources, is this a deterrent for its use? Would it be for other items? I very much doubt it .

The richness of some,and their scheming, knows no bounds in their pursuit of personal gains.

Apr 16, 2021, 11:5204/16/21
04/06/18

So plarium would give up the money which they currently receive for selling the items you envisage being traded and in exchange would tax transactions thereby reducing the amount traded or reducing the gold in the game through the transaction tax/fee.

You have to do a lot better than that in devising a return to plarium.  To spoil their market in inumerable game items you must find a way for all that lost revenue to be replaced.

plarium have not found such a way nor any of the inumerable people who have made this same suggestion previously.  But perhaps you will find a way.  Marketplaces are a part of a number of games of this kind and can be fun so I wish you luck.

Apr 16, 2021, 13:1604/16/21
Apr 16, 2021, 13:16(edited)
01/11/17

Hi Belus!
We are determined to make the game better, so we'll definitely consider your suggestions, and our developers will decide which of them to implement. Feel free to write us if you have any other ideas or suggestions. Thank you very much for describing your thoughts about this situation in such a detailed and interesting way. 🙂
I wish you a good play and glorious victories!🤗  

Apr 16, 2021, 14:5104/16/21
Apr 16, 2021, 14:53(edited)
06/21/17

I  thought that might happen.

The main premis of what is I assume the idea by your suggestion,is that by  having this introduced, you will be better off for  its existance, and this is nonsense.

Anything that is introduced either legitimately or otherwise,can be used by everyone else in the game, such that its implementation is nullified.

Just as in the non so original concept ,of

' As I'm so smart,if I get a second town, I will be so much better off, I can grow twice as fast as everyone and  no one else  will be any the wiser'

Of  course non of this stops things being added on, and gullible falling for any hype.

Apr 17, 2021, 00:4704/17/21
07/25/17

Actually, the idea was to help small players grow quicker. The ones who can't afford to drop hundreds or even thousands of dollars on this game, but might have some items built up that they don't need, and could trade around for items they do. I have lots of such players in my own clan, and have met lots more just playing the game and talking to people. 

The big players are already maxed out. They might benefit from selling their stuff for gold to the smaller players, but they don't really need any more materials, or in game items like gold nuggets or obsidian. Not really sure how they'd exploit it but I don't think that way so one never knows I guess. Multiple towns? OK. I guess I just don't care of someone does that. 

Of course it could be taken advantage of, just like any system in any space in human existence. Where there's a sinister will there's a sinister way. Shouldn't stop the rest of us from having our own fun though. 

The reason I suggested this being a seperate place is because it would then benefit plarium by allowing them to either sell the relocation scroll to get there, or include it in checkpoints for contests as in incentive for players to pass those checkpoints. The tax idea was but one of several ideas in which plarium could exact a cost for this. There was also a small flat fee of gold per transaction. Or again, the selling of a relocation scroll or other item for being able to trade and or sell. Or the inclusion of such an item in the clan store, or for passing checkpoints, etc... 

As for other people having suggested this before, great! The more the merrier. I think a trade and/or commerce market would really add a lot to this game. Let's add to the number of people who want this. Let's spread our ideas about how to bring this suggestion to life around, and bounce them off of each other, and expound on them, scruitinize them, pick them apart, and build off of each others ideas and constructive criticisms to refine this idea to something both Plarium and the players can really sink their teeth in to. That's the very function of a think tank. 

Ultimately Plarium wants to make money, yes, but generating a continued and longer lasting interest in this game for more and more players is a path to Plariums ultimate best interest. A game that only seeks to extract from its players more and more won't sustain itself. It has to have more to offer the player. People won't stop spending money if a marketplace exists. Quite the contrary. People will become stronger. And stronger players are compelled to fight more often. And fighting more often generates revenue. Heck, it will make the game more interesting too, thus holding on to more players. It will transcent it from simple being a pay to win game, and an expensive one at that, to more of a MMORPG with a community of traders and sellers. 

I rather enjoyed the canned response I got. LOL! They thanked me for describing my thoughts about this situation. What situation? I wasn't even talking about a situation. I presented no complaint about any situation. I made suggestions about bringing a trade/commerce market to life.