It's Safe to Say...

9 Replies
Sarrgon
9 August, 2017, 5:10 PM UTC

That the game has entered into its fourth era, and possibly what some predict to be the "end days". Will the map tear itself apart? It appears to be already doing so. 

Perhaps I'm wrong, but without a doubt, a massive shift has occurred in how the game is played.

UTC +0:00
djmoody
9 August, 2017, 5:28 PM UTC

Well this is the era of shrinking activity but ever expanding numbers of beacons.

That has meant a very quiet server of all of this year (and half of last year). There is little competition for beacons because rather than being in short supply, they are in over supply. This has led to a lot less conflict.

The average defence in a beacon has plummeted. In practise:

- major leagues with massive map space, defending beacons effectively with the reputation of their offences, rather than with actual defence (although that has blown up spectacularly in the last couple of days

- many minor leagues, holding large numbers of internal beacons and getting away with it despite little to no defence because people simply aren't interested in those internal beacons

But with bitter irony, while for most the server has gone passive, if you are a new league making your first beacon steps the server has never been more dangerous. With big offences on the prowl, many small and inexperienced leagues have given up their defence as cheap PvP, unit XP and wisdom for the biggest players.

It's also the era of ridiculous over-coined uber hammers.

The uber hammers (for sake of argument lets definite that as 1bn+) have been like a nuclear arms race. The major leagues that have them, might not like each other but the sheer imbalance of offence over defence and the mutual self destruction a major server war would now mean is keeping enemies and friends alike in peaceful relations. 

War is now so costly in precious and vulnerable defence, it is seemingly illogical to start a major one. 

Can something so explosive and emotional happen that will override the logic and kick things off. It will be a war of some flipping epic proportions if something does start.

Everyone has a right to an opinion. No one has a right to their opinion being respected by other if it can't be backed up with rational and logic explanation
Marcel Stokvis
9 August, 2017, 5:48 PM UTC

Sarrgon said:

That the game has entered into its fourth era, and possibly what some predict to be the "end days". Will the map tear itself apart? It appears to be already doing so. 

Perhaps I'm wrong, but without a doubt, a massive shift has occurred in how the game is played.

We talked about this a week or so ago.
I agree this game is waiting for its final battle

Dutch Viking // Sa souvraya niende misain ye
WorldWar3
9 August, 2017, 7:24 PM UTC
Stormfall World war 3 :)
UTC +5:00
IronApex Turok
9 August, 2017, 10:32 PM UTC

lotbr pulled an EMPERORs on server 2, killed off all the beacons and changed the map. 

now you see the same thing, level 5 beacons defended with just enough to balur at bay. 

leagues that have no business owning a beacon now have 2 or 3. 

Marcel Stokvis
10 August, 2017, 7:42 AM UTC

beacons are no longer part of the gameplay it seems

edit, beacons are the new settlements/hamlets even :P
Dutch Viking // Sa souvraya niende misain ye
djmoody
10 August, 2017, 7:25 PM UTC
Marcel Stokvis said:

beacons are no longer part of the gameplay it seems

edit, beacons are the new settlements/hamlets even :P
They are definitely being used in some areas of the map by some leagues as PvP. I know that is where I get my PvP. It's a lot less hassle than trying to find people who are willing to defend a settlement / hamlet or castle.
Everyone has a right to an opinion. No one has a right to their opinion being respected by other if it can't be backed up with rational and logic explanation
IronApex Turok
11 August, 2017, 3:34 AM UTC
yep...i consider anything below level 2 free Pvp. 
Sarrgon
29 August, 2017, 5:03 PM UTC
Prediction already becoming reality.
IronApex Turok
31 August, 2017, 11:33 PM UTC

On server 2 the hammer leagues have figured out if you drop your beacons, you dont have to worry about what the other hammes are doing and are free to knock over beacons without repurcussion. 

just dont accept a war/challenge from anyone and your fortress is impenetrable (with the right amount of troops). theres no way for a hammer to retaliate. 

beacons are now hamlets. free for the taking. 

this kind of gameplay should shift the hammers to defensive play if they wanna keep beacons. 
1699689 users registered; 39604 topics; 264868 posts; our newest member:Alpha999