All Categories

It's just a Game?

It's just a Game?

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Jan 9, 2018, 15:2301/09/18
04/10/17

It's just a Game?

I often hear the phrase "It's just a game" spoken in game and I've always thought it was a rather ridiculous comment to make. Just a game implies that it doesn't matter and if that's true then why are you here? Why do you spend so much of your time doing this when you could do something that really does matter? Of course the game matters to each of us on a personal level or none of us would be here.

When people say "It's just a game." it is almost always used as an excuse for bad behavior. This is a game of war. War is a well established practice that has been around since the dawn of man. War has some basic rules of logic honed by centuries of practice. It has form and rules that should be followed if one wants to truly enjoy the real potential this game has.

This is a role-play game just like any other and everyone assumes their role. Some assume the roles of conquerors, terrorists, and defenders and whether you like it or not you are playing one of these roles. Perhaps even a mixture. 

So why are you drawn to this one? Could it be the medieval or perhaps renaissance blueprint that has been laid out for you? You could also be playing a war game with tanks and choppers. If you wanted to get the most entertainment possible out of this flagship experience, wouldn't it make sense to conduct your behavior in a fashion more mimicking medieval times than drunkards at a sports bar? I'm not saying to talk like the first printing of the King James Bible (and I'm not saying you can't), but shouldn't there be some consensus of honor and integrity in a war game that is more like King Arthur and less like Game of Thrones.  

Well there's my 2 cents don't spend it all in one place.

Views
Comments
Comments
Jan 9, 2018, 17:1301/09/18
07/25/15

You can't compare war in a game to war in the real world. The later people dies, the former, well its just a game. People play games for their own reasons. Some just want to build sand castles, others want to kick them over and watch the world burn. I don't care about you, and your game, I care about me and my own game, even we might play the same game. On a related note, I do care about friends, allies, and fellow guild members, but that is the border or where I stop care. 

There is no honor in war, there is those that survive and those that die. You think wars and battles in the medieval times was fought with honor and chivalry? No, it was to kill your enemy in any way and form. 

If someone start rage and cry in a game, you should do a follow up, because quarter cup of tears isn't enough, you need to fill it to the brim.

Jan 9, 2018, 19:2201/09/18
Jan 9, 2018, 19:24(edited)
11/27/14

If I fight with one player....I dont care how i kill his army !

No mercy :)

Sometimes i am thinking how much time he will need to rebuild...but again : No mercy !

Jan 10, 2018, 10:1201/10/18
Jan 10, 2018, 10:13(edited)
08/31/15

Everyone has their own reasons for playing and not all of those reasons agree with yours.  I originally joined the game because a friend was going for the house of unity upgrades and was asking friends from another game to join up and play til level 12 or 15?  I forget.  I stuck around because I was in a league with good people, fun conversations in chat, etc. 

I feel the game has gotten too unbalanced and that's killed the fun.  I still stick around, in part because I still have friends that play and in part because the foolish optimist in me hopes these hinted at improvements in 2018 will help address the imbalance...although I suspect it'll just be more cash grabs.

Jan 11, 2018, 12:0401/11/18
08/30/17

Hi!

Yes it's just a game and every time I see conflicts, bad words, ambitions,etc...I remember them this....

It's just a game and we must respect every player who is playing it no matter for what reason and no matter the way is playing it.... as long as it complies with the rules of the game it's OK 

Best  regards!

Bogdan

Jan 11, 2018, 12:1501/11/18
07/25/15
isacescu_bogdan said:

Hi!

Yes it's just a game and every time I see conflicts, bad words, ambitions,etc...I remember them this....

It's just a game and we must respect every player who is playing it no matter for what reason and no matter the way is playing it.... as long as it complies with the rules of the game it's OK 

Best  regards!

Bogdan

It is just a game, but sometimes people get their feelings hurt when someone come kicking their sand castle over. Something that add to this quite a bit, is when someone end up lose a lot they might have spent money on, then the emotions run even higher. 
BiohazarDModerator
Jan 12, 2018, 07:3501/12/18
10/04/13
Gadheras said:

isacescu_bogdan said:

Hi!

Best  regards!

Bogdan

It is just a game, but sometimes people get their feelings hurt when someone come kicking their sand castle over. Something that add to this quite a bit, is when someone end up lose a lot they might have spent money on, then the emotions run even higher. 
Some people do get pretty salty when they hit your castle and find it has way more on it than they thought :P
Jan 12, 2018, 07:5201/12/18
07/25/15

BiohazarD said:

Gadheras said:

isacescu_bogdan said:

Hi!

Best  regards!

Bogdan

Some people do get pretty salty when they hit your castle and find it has way more on it than they thought :P

My largest fight ever was a mishap that created very salty backlash. In the part of the map I'm sitting, there is some very old local NAPS going on. One of these got pestered by another player. So I blindly sent like everything I had at him, no spying, nothing in advance, figured, can't be that much there right.. wrong, his league had walled him up and it was a solid brawl. They lost more than I did but it was brutal and the mails flooded in, but it wasn't congratulations to put it like that. Players get salty regardless I think.

Jan 12, 2018, 10:4901/12/18
08/31/15

Gadheras said:

My largest fight ever was a mishap that created very salty backlash. In the part of the map I'm sitting, there is some very old local NAPS going on. One of these got pestered by another player. So I blindly sent like everything I had at him, no spying, nothing in advance, figured, can't be that much there right.. wrong, his league had walled him up and it was a solid brawl. They lost more than I did but it was brutal and the mails flooded in, but it wasn't congratulations to put it like that. Players get salty regardless I think.

I think its a combination of factors.  There's the perceived cash value of troops (they have no real cash value as there is no legitimate way to sell them back for real money), the vast inequality in power facilitated by Pay to Win mechanics, the fact that players all play by their own sets of rules (and get mad when those rules are broken by others), and rivalries between leagues/players.  There are probably several other factors I haven't thought of as well. I feel game mechanics are intentionally skewed to make attacks feel personal since Plarium makes more money off of it when we get mad and open our wallets for revenge.

Jan 12, 2018, 11:0401/12/18
07/25/15
ThatGuy said:

Gadheras said:

I think its a combination of factors.  There's the perceived cash value of troops (they have no real cash value as there is no legitimate way to sell them back for real money), the vast inequality in power facilitated by Pay to Win mechanics, the fact that players all play by their own sets of rules (and get mad when those rules are broken by others), and rivalries between leagues/players.  There are probably several other factors I haven't thought of as well. I feel game mechanics are intentionally skewed to make attacks feel personal since Plarium makes more money off of it when we get mad and open our wallets for revenge.

Imho, open your wallet for purpose of revenge make you a fool. You are setting yourself up to repeat a mistake. The only one that get hurt end of the day is you and your wallet. But of course Plarium play on these emotions. 
The topic is locked. You cannot post comments.