All Categories

Opinions about Upgrading mythical hero items

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Aug 23, 2021, 13:4808/23/21
05/03/15

The Hero gear update promted a discussion about whether the update was healthy for the long term future of the game or not. 

Many people were concerned that extending existing content risked locking newer players into perminent bonuses disadvantage and against the backdrop of newer players already being up to 7 yrs behind and being massively disadvantaged.

I think that discussion was extremely constructive and I think Plarium could learn a lot from it. Sadly it was not allowed to stand with much of the input from customers deleted and removed. 

Let's try it again. I think the players have something value to add. 

- Did you like the Hero Gear update? Why or if not, why not?

- Do you think new players are at a significant disadvantage when they join this game, given it's been running 7 years? 

- Do you see a risk with constantly adding new levels and extending existinv content rather than creating new content, such as extending the hero gear levels

- Do you think it's important therefore to carefully design updates that don't further disadvantage them thus making it less even less likely that we will retain new players?

- Ultimately isn't keeping the game active and retaining a critical mass of players required to keep the game running healthily in the best interest of everyone (Plarium / Veterans / New Players)?

These are all interesting ideas that evolved out of a simple post stating the hero gear bonuses and costs. They are worth discussing, they shouldn't be silenced.

Views
Comments
Comments
Aug 23, 2021, 14:1108/23/21
Aug 23, 2021, 14:17(edited)
05/03/15

So for my thoughts:

Someone posted this in the original thread.

"The game has never been as New comer friendly as it is at this time."

I couldn't disagree more. Trying to address this misconception was what got me involved in the original thread. 

By definition the longer this game goes on the more disadvantaged new players will be compared to veterans. Right now you can join 7/8 years behind a veteran players. That is a ridiculous level of disadvantage, off the charts.

There is nothing this design of game can do about that. People start at different times. Some games have fixed end goals and then servers restart. That is to address this time problem but personally I don't want to play a game where what you have worked on disappears after a couple of years. It's not for me. So you have the time problem.

But what we can do is acknowledge the disadvantage of time and how it will make it increasingly difficult to attract and retain new players. No one wants to play a game they have no chance in.

So it seems obvious to me against this backdrop we should be super careful in designing new updates, so as not to make this problem even worse. You can;t eliminate the problem but you can at least not exagerate it even further.

And that is where we get to continually extending new content. On the example of hero gear which started this all. Getting to lvl 5 gear is a task who completion is measured not in day, weeks or months but in years. Hard, but that is good. 

Lets take the example of a newer player that grind their way to lvl 3. They closed some of their disadvantage. Then Hero gear is extended to lvl 10. Now they will be perminently 2 lvls behind the veteran players. If they get to lvl 7 gear and it's extended again, still behind. If we keep extending the lvls all the time, they could never catch up. 

That is how extending existing content locks newer players into perminent disadvantage. 

Contrast that with adding new content. The newer player can simultanously work on both catching up on the new content, whilst completing the old content Yeah they have to work twice as hard completing two sets of content at once but if they are willing to put the work in, there is at least a route for them to hope to compete.

And this isn't "unfair" to veterans. If it takes 'x' amount of time to complete some content and get a bonus, the new player still has to put the same 'x' amount of time as the veteran did to earn the bonus.

Aug 23, 2021, 15:5008/23/21
02/22/16

And as far as getting Equipment I get tons of equipment from The Chest gained during the Tower and the Brawl event's being active in every aspect of the Game Daily and for hours everysingle Day (I may off missed a total of 1 weeks worth of Days in my years of playing Stormfall.)

Anyways Battle grounds are not the only means of collecting Hero Equipment and selling moonstones.

As for  when to sell there are wise and not wise times gamewise when that should be done  depending on your goals. 

If you want a New Player friendly Game That keeps you wrapped in cottonballs then maybe a war game is not what your looking for.

Aug 24, 2021, 19:0108/24/21
08/10/16

Maybe, just maybe, the reason why not so many players participate in these discussions is because they lead nowhere, except to antagonizing comments? TheBeast clearly stated why there is an issue with upgrading champion gear even higher instead of introducing something new, and I for one find it very hard to disagree on those points. Though, what do I know, I am probably just an alt..

Aug 23, 2021, 15:1308/23/21
02/22/16

You say Many people  yet I only see a handfull that could also be alt account skewing the appearance. 

But botton line here is (Most players started at a disadvantage at one time or another and we had to get over it and make adjustments to compensate)  And those that can't end up as Farms it's just how it is ! 

Last I check this is a war Game please  show me where in war where the stronger takes into account the weaknesses of their enemy so they can have a chance to beat them.

It sounds like your trying turn this Game into an everybody wins Game! 

That would be extremely boring in my eyes.

If I wanted that I would of stayed playing Farmville