All Categories

App and Flash Update

App and Flash Update

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Dec 18, 2020, 14:1912/18/20
07/10/14

App and Flash Update

So after A LOT of digging, research and discussion with a lot of people, have ascertained the following info (I have quoted sources as some of this I can't independently verify myself)

- The App is written in Chromium (confirmed by several ppl who inspected the code)

- Chromium is an open source brower project provided by Google (Web Search)

- Chromium is used by Google to produce Chrome and also by several other browers providers such as Firefox (Web Search)

- Chromium used Pepperflash to provide is Flash capabilities (Web Search)

- Pepperflash was initially developed in partnership between Adobe and Google. It is now maintained and distributed by Google (Web Search)

- The app is therefore essentially a cut down web brower, built in a platform for producing web browers (my TL:DL)

So what does all that means for the future of our game:

- It appears Pepperflash will continue to be provided by Google (although I can't find anything on the web confirming this)

- If this is the case annoucements pertaining to the end of Adobe Flash don't relate to or impact Pepperfash (including Adobe's own statements, the alerts you might get from Adobe and announcements that Windows with automatically remove Flash - confirmed by multiple ppl)

- Pepperflash is wrapped into the app and shouldn't be accessable to other applications (I got this from one person but its someone whose technical knowledge I highly respect)

- As such using the App and pepperflash should not pose a security tisk to you i.e. even if you encounter malicious code on a website, it won't be able to activate and use Pepperflash

It seems therefore that the game is secured for however long Pepperflash continues to be supported and distributed by Google. I can't see that continuing forever but equally I saw no references anywhere to it ending immediately either.  It might be possible to continue using it, even if it was pulled by Google depending on the exact terms of the open source agreement.

Clearly, whether you want to download an app is a personal choice people need to make for themselves. I know some ppl don't like downloading stuff and that is what it is (which is the reason games like these were written in browers in the first place, to avoid missing out on customers that don't want to download).

Hope this is helpful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS I am not a security expert. I can;t guarantee using the app is 100% safe but it appear so to me from what I have been able to find out. Personally I will be running it on a 2nd machine, completely seperate from anything important.

Views
Comments
Comments
Dec 18, 2020, 17:2912/18/20
09/22/16

DJ .. 

Spot on about the App being a stripped-down browser 👍

However, Google will not be maintaining pepperflash - ALL flash will be obsolete as of 31st Dec 2020.

The question is whether the flash embedded in the App is a very old version that does not contain the kill switch inserted by Adobe... personally I very much doubt it!! .. we shall see in the fullness of time..

BTW - as you are a Windows user... isolating the play app on a 2nd (hopefully unimportant/redundant) machine is a brilliant idea!!!

For all other Windows users - if you can follow DJ's example - do!!

Dec 18, 2020, 19:5812/18/20
09/22/16

GENERAL #1620905

No - well not really - in theory you could install multiple windows OS on seperate partitions/hard drives - problem is the bootloader for windows is selfish and does not recognise more than one windows installation - and in no circumstances will it recognise any other OS.

For windows users who do not have access to a 2nd computer - my advice is clean your system first then make a restore point before installing the play app. This way should anything go wrong you can roll-back your system - then install a fresh/new copy of the play app.

Dec 18, 2020, 20:2412/18/20
08/09/15

@Tids the things u talk is a god level security !

plarium doesnt allow third parties and all the codes are of its own ! no malware can get into user computer !

my god people fear flash but flash used by plarium doesnt even involve the user itself just the game lunch process !

plarium does/will not involve a third party that could compromise codes or malwares get into a system so its very safe to download and install the app

Dec 18, 2020, 20:3912/18/20
09/22/16

@fury

You are correct - in that flash is 'contained' inside the Play App .. the problem is that, for Windows, the Play App has to be installed as a system app and does require system files to run.

So, while flash is contained inside the Play App - the Play App itself is not contained!!

True - the risk from using the Play App is less than with flashplayer installed seperately on your system as it is now - but there is still a risk for Windows users, however small.

Creating a restore point of a clean system before installing the App is highly recommended!!

Dec 20, 2020, 17:5212/20/20
12/13/14

- The App is written in Chromium (confirmed by several ppl who inspected the code)

- Chromium is an open source brower project provided by Google (Web Search)

Very good news that the app was NOT written by plarium(ukraine) - It might actually work then haha

But why are system requirements and memory usage so much higher than using any browser?

Dec 21, 2020, 21:4012/21/20
09/22/16

Snowgoon

But why are system requirements and memory usage so much higher than using any browser?

Good question 🙂

Answer: Plarium Play App relies heavily on the runtime library of Microsoft's .NET Framework. The constant calls on the .dll files in .NET is what slows the loading time and increases the virtual memory requirements.

Before you ask - this is unavoidable. Although the Play App is a stripped down browser - it is stripped down to the bare essentials and effectively acts as a container for flash - so much of it's browser functionality is removed therefore requiring the .NET library.

BiohazarDModerator
Dec 23, 2020, 05:3812/23/20
10/04/13
Tids

Snowgoon

Good question 🙂

Answer: Plarium Play App relies heavily on the runtime library of Microsoft's .NET Framework. The constant calls on the .dll files in .NET is what slows the loading time and increases the virtual memory requirements.

Before you ask - this is unavoidable. Although the Play App is a stripped down browser - it is stripped down to the bare essentials and effectively acts as a container for flash - so much of it's browser functionality is removed therefore requiring the .NET library.

Thanks for the clear explanation.