All Categories

Importance of Game Balance

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Aug 10, 2020, 11:5008/10/20
07/10/14

So I started a series of posts a LONG time ago, starting with an analysis of academic research papers into what motivates people to play games. The point was to agree some common base line understanding from which to look at our game.

I never got around to completing it, for a bunch of reasons. But I thought I would share something about game balance that occurred to me while I read all the research.

Games are balanced around TIME, SKILL & MONEY.

You can find many things that interest you in a games but in terms of what allows you to progress or be successful it can all be boiled down to just these 3 key elements. Do you think there are more? (it doesn't matter to the conclusion whether there are 4 or 5 but interested to see what your reactions are to summarising it to 3).

The money element doesn't have to be there because games can be subscription based, but in reality virtually all devs for all games have moved to micro transactions. 

The game design can favor any one of those 3 elements. I kind of think of it as a tringle and any games balance between the factors can be summarised as a point in the triangle (or at extremes it might approach just being in one corner).

For instance, Stormfall is designed very much not to reward Time. You only get 10 raids (although we have a booster event now). And troop queues physically cap the amount of resource that its worthwhile collecting. And on the other main element of gameplay, you only get so many BG's per day (also something that has increased over time)..

Why would a dev limit your ability to play the game? It's generally accepted that more time in game = more money.

If you could gain an limitless advantage from Time (well there are only 24hrs in a day but I hope you know what I mean), then most of the players that don't have unlimited time to play (jobs, school etc) will see they can't complete and will leave the game. So Stormfall limits the benefit of Time (e.g. raid cap / BG cap etc),

As you allow a game to become more tilted towards just one of three elements it will become attractive to a smaller and smaller player base.

If the game very much favours skill, then the players that like to grind and are willing to invest Time will find the game suits them less and less and at some point most of them will have left to find a game that is better suited to them.

It follows logically then that, if the advantage of money becomes too overpowered, it will turn off all the players that value skill and time until they leave the game.

Can't prove this with specific evidence but all common sense screams at me that the number of people that value money so much that they are willing to play in a game where all that matters is money is going to be very very small. So as you push to money and only money being relevant to progress in a game, the player base is going to get very very small.

And that is why game balance matters so much. Tilt to one element too much and you will start limiting the player base significantly.

I don't think any of this is at all contentious. But what do you think?

Lets not get into any discussion of where Stormfall currently its on the spectrum atm. That will go round and round in circles and get nowhere.

Lets just see that we can agree that as you tend towards one element over the others, your player base will get smaller and smaller. i.e. that breaking game balance has serious consequences.

Views
Comments
Comments
Aug 10, 2020, 11:5808/10/20
Aug 14, 2020, 09:44(edited)
07/10/14

Some stuff from the original posts (might be possible to find them but old posts do get deleted, I'll have a look later):

This table from a reaech paper best summarises what motivates people to play games:

From the original post, this table from one of the research papers best summarises people's motivation for playing games.

I would argue that by definition MMO's fulfil the Social aspect. Some will do it better than others but they will all have a heavy fulfillment of social motivation by the very nature of being an MMO.

And RTS's don't really do immersion that heavily by nature. RPS's wth massive maps and tonnes of lore backing the locations, world and even items and of course they nail the role playing element. And lets face it all games provide escapism. So there is not much in the Immersion category that an RTS can differentiate itself by.

So the key to a successful game in the RTS sphere will be "Achievement".

Now if a game becomes so unbalanced people feel they are noncompetitive it will rob them of all possibility of achievement.

You can't progress if you take 1 step forward but someone else buys 100 steps forward (you have in effect gone backwards). You can't accumulate power if someone else just outbuys you. If all things are buyable, you can't easily achieve status for your accomplishments (one of the biggest oversights when making everything purchasable - there are no achievements in game that players respect anymore).

There is no point in analysing the mechanics (one of my favourite things to do). Eaking out a few percentage points of advantage by optimising everything you do, is pointless if someone can buy thousands of % points of advantage with a credit card.

And then there is the Competition motivations, which clearly by name are destroyed if you don't feel you can fairly compete.

Interestingly there is a "domination" motivation. So you can understand why mega coiners spend tens of thousands to buy pixels. It's not irrational, it's fulfilling their need to dominate. Of course the key here is that if you tilt your entire game to feeding just the people motivated by this element then you sure need to make sure you leave enough other motivations to play otherwise there will be no one left for the mega coiners to dominate.

So my conclusions were:

1. Achievement is key to differentiating a successful RTS MMO (as all other MMO's will hit social aspects too, and immersion by nature isn't a big factor in an RTS)

2. You can't be motivated in the achievement category if you don't feel you can fairly compete. 

So as you push the advantage a game provides in the shop to a greater and greater level, you will demotivate more and more people from playing the game as you rob them of the chance to achieve anything.