All Categories

Stoneheart Battleground issue

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
May 3, 2019, 06:2505/03/19
12/20/14

Can someone please explain to me how a unit with 10,285 attack strength can lose when attacking 23 Slayers (Balur Stoneheart units) which only have a total defensive strength of 8625 ??  

Slayers have 375 defense vs Bestiary units. 375 x 23 = 8625 

Gargoyle has an attack strength of 10,285. What is going on here?!!?

I am seeing this occur more and more where I send an attack with higher attack strength than the defense at the Stoneheart battleground and yet the server claims the attack was unsuccessful. 

All of the information shown in the menus regarding these units clearly indicates there were no possible bonuses for the Slayer troops to have a higher defense than the attack I sent.

As well, I am also seeing an issue if you send 2 Gargoyles at a level 15 or 20 Stoneheart BG, you will lose 1 of the 2 Gargoyles. However, if you send only 1 Gargoyle it will be successful. How does sending ONE unit win and sending TWO of the same unit against the same units at a Stoneheart BG result in a unit loss ??

And yes, I have confirmed there was the exact same type and number of units at the battleground in both attacks. 

So it's not due to a different unit type or different number of each type of unit at the battleground. 

Something is VERY screwy with the Stoneheart Battleground battle calculations. 

As a side note, the same occurs if you send 10 Gargoyles at a level 15 or 20 SHBG. 

1 of the 10 will die, when in fact, none should die as a single Gargoyle has sufficient attack strength to clear all the defense on that battleground. 

So why is 1 unit out of 10 being lost ?? Sending 10 would tend to infer you are overpowering the defense even more so and should result in less losses, not more losses. There should be no loss of units at all...yet there is. Why??

Views
Comments
Comments
BiohazarDModerator
May 3, 2019, 14:4605/03/19
10/04/13

PVP battles use different mechanics than BG battles.  When you fight BGs you gain no advantage from overwhelming the enemy forces, so you'll lose about the same amount whether you send the same power of units as is in the BG or 10,000 times the power.  

The reason you lost your unit in the screenshot is how the game does rounding combined with the bg combat mechanic.  If you send a single unit with 10,000 power against an enemy force with a total of 8,000 power, in pvp you'd lose 8000/(8000+10000)=.45 and with 1 unit this would round down to 0 losses.  But in a BG battle against an enemy with 8000 power, your force would take 8000 damage.  8000/10000=0.8 so you'd lose 80% of your force, but since you only had 1 unit it rounds up to 1. If you'd sent lots of small units you'd have lost about 8000 power and beat the BG, but because you can't win a BG battle where you lose every single unit and you lost your 1 unit, it counts it as a loss, and leaves 1 enemy unit there so that the BG won't be counted as destroyed.  

May 3, 2019, 14:5605/03/19
May 3, 2019, 15:05(edited)
02/20/17

BiohazarD said:

PVP battles use different mechanics than BG battles.  When you fight BGs you gain no advantage from overwhelming the enemy forces, so you'll lose about the same amount whether you send the same power of units as is in the BG or 10,000 times the power.  

The reason you lost your unit in the screenshot is how the game does rounding combined with the bg combat mechanic.  If you send a single unit with 10,000 power against an enemy force with a total of 8,000 power, in pvp you'd lose 8000/(8000+10000)=.45 and with 1 unit this would round down to 0 losses.  But in a BG battle against an enemy with 8000 power, your force would take 8000 damage.  8000/10000=0.8 so you'd lose 80% of your force, but since you only had 1 unit it rounds up to 1. If you'd sent lots of small units you'd have lost about 8000 power and beat the BG, but because you can't win a BG battle where you lose every single unit and you lost your 1 unit, it counts it as a loss, and leaves 1 enemy unit there so that the BG won't be counted as destroyed.  

Sorry Bio, but you missed the obvious error

He was defending with one gargoyle, not attacking, so he lost the battle because his gargoyle was too weak

23 Slayers have 9,200 offense but level one gargoyles only have 8306 defense against infantry

We need to know what defense stats his gargoyle has, and if any other bonuses were active (like paragon status etc)

If we send ONE gargoyle it only needs to win the battle and will ALWAYS survive

Sending MORE than one gargoyle invokes the fury of the combat algorithm, which is very difficult to predict accurately ... especially when we cannot send one archer or champion to scout the battlegrounds first

May 3, 2019, 16:5805/03/19
May 3, 2019, 16:59(edited)
12/20/14

I think he missed a huge factor in the above. 

I send 1 Gargoyle to ANY Stonheart BG from level 1 to 25 and 99% of the time it is successful at defending OR attacking and I lose NOTHING.

But that 1% of the time it does lose. However the defense or attacking force is LESS than what I am sending to the BG. It loses to a LOWER amount defense than my attack force has, or loses to the attack force that is less than my defense force has. 

Which makes no sense. If his math was correct, I would be losing the 1 Gargoyle in  EVERY battle that has more than 6000 defense or attack strength since it calculates out to over 0.5 and it rounds up to 1 EVERY time. (If he is correct which I highly doubt). 

However I believe the above calculations are complete B.S. because I have been doing SHBG's from level 1 to 25 every day with 1 Gargoyle for MONTHS and as I said it is successful 99% of the time because the Gargoyle has more attack strength than Balur's defense and more defense strength than Balur's attack. (10,285 attack and defense for a Gargoyle). Above level 26 it starts dieing because that level has more strength than 1 Gargoyle. 

So if your calculations are correct, please explain HOW I have been able to do the above for months and experience only a 1% loss rate (when it actually should be zero). 

As well, his math fails again for the following reason. When I send 5 Gargoyles at a level 15 SHBG, that's 4000/50000 = 0.1 which means it rounds down to 0. Which means I should lose NONE. 

So why do I continually lose 1 Gargoyle and only 4 return for a level 15 SH BG that only has 4000 defense power?? Your math does not add up. 

And if it calculates based on 1 unit, that's still 4000/10285 which is STILL only 0.4 which means rounding down to 0 and NO losses. Yet I still lose 1 Gargoyle. WHY???

Again...there is something BROKEN in the SHBG mechanics. FIX IT. 

May 3, 2019, 21:0305/03/19
May 3, 2019, 21:37(edited)
02/20/17

Sparkster said:

However I believe the above calculations are complete B.S. because I have been doing SHBG's from level 1 to 25 every day with 1 Gargoyle for MONTHS and as I said it is successful 99% of the time because the Gargoyle has more attack strength than Balur's defense and more defense strength than Balur's attack. (10,285 attack and defense for a Gargoyle). Above level 26 it starts dying because that level has more strength than 1 Gargoyle.

So sorry, but it is not possible for your gargoyle to always have 10,285 attack and defense

Defense is much lower when attacked by slayers (infantry)
You will always lose if there are too many slayers

Please show us a screenshot of your gargoyle stats

http://prntscr.com/nk3n3r

I get +28% on all units (more with active paragon) but am still quite weak defending against infantry

May 3, 2019, 21:3105/03/19
08/21/14

Stilletto is correct.   When you're sending 1 gargoyle (GG) to a defensive SHBG, the average defense of the GG doesn't matter.   What matters is the GG's defense against the type of units Balur sent, and the number of each type.

For Green SHBGs, when Balur sends only Slayers, which sometimes happens, only the GG's infantry defense is used by the combat algorithm.  If your GG infantry defense is less than 400 x #Slayers, then your GG dies.

May 4, 2019, 01:0505/04/19
12/20/14

Again...you are missing the point.

It is NOT POSSIBLE for a GG to have less attack power or defense power than 14 Slayers of a level 15 SHBG. 

Even with the slightly lower effectiveness of the GG against Balur's infantry troops. 

A level 15 SHBG will never have more than 14 or 15 Slayers max. Which is 15 x 400 = 6000 attack and 6375 defense against Bestiary. Any player brand new out of the box that has a GG will have both more attack and defense strength than 6000 or 6375. 

Yet when you send 5 GG at a Level 15, 1 of the GG dies and only 4 come back when they face 15 Slayers. 

Again, I will repeat the same question which NO ONE HAS ADDRESSED. 

WHY is the 1 GG dieing when 5 are sent against a level 15 SHBG that only has 14 or 15 slayers (6000 attack and 6375 defense) vs 5 GG (10,285 attack and 9,136 defense against infantry). 

Yet when you send only 1 GG against the same level 15 SHBG that has 14 or 15 slayers. It always wins and does NOT die. 

May 6, 2019, 11:5705/06/19
03/05/19

Hello! I've contacted our devs on this matter. It's not a bug. It's game mechanics. So, you can use your own strategy in order to succeed on SH Battlegrounds. If it's more beneficial to send one GG to win use this tactic of battle. 

BiohazarDModerator
May 6, 2019, 14:3105/06/19
10/04/13
Boris Shevchenko said:

Hello! I've contacted our devs on this matter. It's not a bug. It's game mechanics. So, you can use your own strategy in order to succeed on SH Battlegrounds. If it's more beneficial to send one GG to win use this tactic of battle. 

Thanks for looking into it.  I guess we'll just have to figure out what's going on behind the scenes with the combat mechanics.  
BiohazarDModerator
May 6, 2019, 14:3305/06/19
May 6, 2019, 14:34(edited)
10/04/13
Stiletto said:

Sparkster said:

However I believe the above calculations are complete B.S. because I have been doing SHBG's from level 1 to 25 every day with 1 Gargoyle for MONTHS and as I said it is successful 99% of the time because the Gargoyle has more attack strength than Balur's defense and more defense strength than Balur's attack. (10,285 attack and defense for a Gargoyle). Above level 26 it starts dying because that level has more strength than 1 Gargoyle.

So sorry, but it is not possible for your gargoyle to always have 10,285 attack and defense

Defense is much lower when attacked by slayers (infantry)
You will always lose if there are too many slayers

Please show us a screenshot of your gargoyle stats

http://prntscr.com/nk3n3r

I get +28% on all units (more with active paragon) but am still quite weak defending against infantry

Yep, how strongly your unit defends in the battle depends upon what mix of unit types are attacking it (with most units being weak against infantry).  It also works the other way if you're attacking with mostly one unit type and the enemy is strong against that type.  This is one of the main reasons people take more losses than they were expecting.  
May 6, 2019, 23:4005/06/19
May 7, 2019, 00:12(edited)
02/20/17

Sparkster said:

It is NOT POSSIBLE for a GG to have less attack power or defense power than 14 Slayers of a level 15 SHBG. 

Even with the slightly lower effectiveness of the GG against Balur's infantry troops. 

A level 15 SHBG will never have more than 14 or 15 Slayers max. Which is 15 x 400 = 6000 attack and 6375 defense against Bestiary. Any player brand new out of the box that has a GG will have both more attack and defense strength than 6000 or 6375. 

Yet when you send 5 GG at a Level 15, 1 of the GG dies and only 4 come back when they face 15 Slayers. 

WHY is the 1 GG dieing when 5 are sent against a level 15 SHBG that only has 14 or 15 slayers (6000 attack and 6375 defense) vs 5 GG (10,285 attack and 9,136 defense against infantry). 

Yet when you send only 1 GG against the same level 15 SHBG that has 14 or 15 slayers. It always wins and does NOT die. 

Nobody has missed the point - we have all seen exactly the same thing happening with normal battlegrounds too
It has always been this way on all plarium games and servers

I send one of every unit type (over 100 different units) and they will all survive
but they need to have 2.5x balur strength or they will ALL DIE (except one pikeman)
This is perfectly normal because we must kill all balur units (unlike normal pvp)

but as soon as we send MORE than one of each unit they can start to die - we don't need to know the exact arithmetic ... just dont do it  lol

If we send 5 identical units we would probably need 20x balur strength (?)
Sending a single unit is safer .. all it needs to do is win the battle

The combat algorithm is calculated using total offense and total defense which gives a PERCENTAGE of losses
If this percentage is below 50% then they live ... but losses above 50% are rounded up and they die

The normal algorithm for pvp is

A / (B+A) = Percentage Loss

but even this is only a close approximation  ... and nobody knows the algorithm for battlegrounds, but there are combat calculators on the internet if you think these might help

BiohazarDModerator
May 9, 2019, 14:2505/09/19
May 9, 2019, 14:25(edited)
10/04/13
Stiletto said:

Sparkster said:

Nobody has missed the point - we have all seen exactly the same thing happening with normal battlegrounds too
It has always been this way on all plarium games and servers

I send one of every unit type (over 100 different units) and they will all survive
but they need to have 2.5x balur strength or they will ALL DIE (except one pikeman)
This is perfectly normal because we must kill all balur units (unlike normal pvp)

but as soon as we send MORE than one of each unit they can start to die - we don't need to know the exact arithmetic ... just dont do it  lol

If we send 5 identical units we would probably need 20x balur strength (?)
Sending a single unit is safer .. all it needs to do is win the battle

The combat algorithm is calculated using total offense and total defense which gives a PERCENTAGE of losses
If this percentage is below 50% then they live ... but losses above 50% are rounded up and they die

The normal algorithm for pvp is

A / (B+A) = Percentage Loss

but even this is only a close approximation  ... and nobody knows the algorithm for battlegrounds, but there are combat calculators on the internet if you think these might help

Most of the combat calculators available online at best use the same algorithm you just mentioned (some of them are worse, and use some crazy algorithms that are obviously wrong).