All Categories

Trick question to Plarium -)

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Nov 10, 2018, 01:1411/10/18
07/25/15

This from something that came up on another forum and another game, but could be valid here as well....

So question: Are you creating/making a game you want players to play, or are you making a game players want to play, and do you see the difference?

Oh and as a side note with current state of the game; How successful do you rate your effort?

Views
Comments
Comments
Nov 11, 2018, 05:3811/11/18
08/03/14

i too am curious as to how plarium rates their success here. 

i read a couple years back where Avi Shaleel saw the need to speed up the ROI in order to meet goals,  so i imagine the success wasnt as high as expected back then....

do they think the corrective measures theyve taken has had a positive or negative effect on the game?

and at what point does plarium see as the peak of the game?  when was its most successful time period
Nov 12, 2018, 06:5811/12/18
Nov 12, 2018, 07:39(edited)
07/25/15

Sir Dan Saul Knight said:

Sooner or later the games industry is going to shoot itself in the foot as authorities are catching up to how exploitative and distasteful their physiological hooks are (and that to a significant degree they are aimed at children who have zero chance of defending themselves from them, not that adults do really either, especially certain personality types).

China has halted micro transactions in games. They have to have regulatory approval before they can be released and they stopped giving approvals for the last 6 months. Tencent, the largest Asian gaming company has seen it's share price drop 25% since the freeze on approval. They literally have games released that don't have the random loot / micro transactions elements, the games don't have the monitisation aspects included yet.

We have Netherlands and Belgium who have already made random loot boxes illegal. I suspect that means an EU wide ban can't be that far around the corner (the Netherlands authorities said as much when they made their announcement).

I hope the games industry suffer immensely from the regulations and hopefully some over regulation tbh. They have utterly taken the piss over the last few years.

Well, take Blizzard as an example at their recent revelation of a new Diablo game, which got a very chill reception at Blizzcon, where they promptly asked "what? you all not got phones?". Take a franchise such as Diablo and then put it on mobile with the monetisation that lead to. They got "booed" at and one even asked if it was an early april fools joke. In the wake their stock started to drop as well (Joining such as Activision and Electronic Arts in that regard). And if you look back at the debacle that was about the new Battlefront game and loot boxes, the uprise of the gamers already begun. Enough is a enough right?

Btw, you can add Finland and Australia , and some states in the US to that list of places that will follow tow with Netherlands and Belgium. Not just about gambling aspect of loot boxes but about focus on addiction as well. That China is regulating is probably no wonder. Been horror stories coming out of there where people been "gaming" themselves to death. Think China passed some law some time back in regard of how long sessions you was able to even play in online games a day. The gaming culture in Asia overall is not a very healthy one though. 

I recently enjoyed a night with some friends re-visiting Age of Empires 2. Think we spent 3-4 hours in just one game/sitting. Back in the day, I'm a bit sad to say, when this game was released I could spend several hours a night playing it on the zone. I even meet players back then playing this I still got contact with today. Almost 2 decades later. Age of Empires is not necessary the mother of all rts games, but it is at least one of the reasons some players get attracted to games such as Stormfall. Imho the difference is back then I was addicted to the fun of the game, these days game creators want you to get addicted to their games for a whole other reason :/

BiohazarDModerator
Nov 12, 2018, 09:3111/12/18
10/04/13
roadstar Pitbull said:

Keeping on track, based on previous posts.

Are we playing a social game or a gambling game?

The player base is different, hence many of the root issues within the game.

In hindsight, gambling machines are at the core the same, new graphics, lights and sounds, and you have new machine players flock to. Based mainly on entertainment shifts and trends. Ie:, new shows, movies.

So Plariums model was, at the core, the same thing, one core operation with many skins.

Part of the difference (IMHO), is in gambling (what i know of it), they seem to always leave some of the older machines in place for dedicated players in the corners, to keep them coming back also. While the new machines are always front and center in greater numbers. And sometimes at a greater cost to play.

Plarium has failed in the second effort, cramming new content across the board of time, but unilaterally. Facebook does not have the same player base as .com. I still still like the term "flash in the pan" style player, jumping to the newest games and or newest game content. Players who rarely stay with a game 1-3 years.

In some of our styles, from talking to others who post in forum and in game,are more dedicated to the games we enjoy. 3-5, even 10 years is not unheard of. But with those games the fundamentals do not change, the fundementals here have been long abandoned,in hopes of the 'flash in the pan" style would take hold.

Gamblers expect to spend a certain amount of money each time they play, social players do not. But they are willing to spend on things they like...

Including gambling aspects in other types of games has become popular in the last few years, as it's usually very profitable.  Stormfall definitely wouldn't count as primarily a gambling game.  Although there are certain aspects of it that are based on chance, the majority of the game requires strategy in order to do well (or just buying a ton of troops, but that's not gambling either it's just buying stuff). 
Nov 12, 2018, 12:1011/12/18
02/29/16

Hello!

Interesting question, Lord Gadheras.

I think I can reply on the first one: 

We create a game players want to play.

As for the second one, I can't tell for the whole company as at the moment I don't have the statistics and I don't know whether the numbers meet the expectations.

I put your question in my notes for Q&A event with the game designer. I think he will be able to reply better on it.

As for the question of Roadstar Pitbull, we didn't shift our focus on gambling and don't plan to do it. 

Nov 12, 2018, 13:0711/12/18
07/25/15

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello!

Interesting question, Lord Gadheras.

I think I can reply on the first one: 

We create a game players want to play.

As for the second one, I can't tell for the whole company as at the moment I don't have the statistics and I don't know whether the numbers meet the expectations.

I put your question in my notes for Q&A event with the game designer. I think he will be able to reply better on it.

As for the question of Roadstar Pitbull, we didn't shift our focus on gambling and don't plan to do it. 

If the numbers doesn't meet the expectations, wouldn't that mean you wrong about the first one? *ponders*

I know mmos and online games will after time struggle to keep interest up, but that also fall on the creators to keep keep the players interested in the game.