All Categories

Possible arena tier idea

Possible arena tier idea

Search
Jan 21, 2022, 12:4901/21/22
06/25/20

Possible arena tier idea

So, one of the biggest complaints people have with arena matchmaking is that they feel they are matched against players they have no chance against. What if, rather than matchmaking being based exclusively on your arena rating, you were also put into tiers based on your account age? Here's my basic idea. Divide the playerbase up into six tiers (for now). More could be added as the game gets older: 

Tier 6: All players

Tier 5: < 2 Years in age

Tier 4: < 1 Year in age

Tier 3: < 6 Months in age

Tier 2: < 3 Months in age

Tier 1: < 1 Month in age

Players are matched up against only players of their same tier. So if you are a player who has been playing for more than 2 years, you'll be in Tier 6, and your arena pool will consist of all players, while if you are only five months old, you'll be in Tier 3.

However, if you are matched up against a player who is in a lower tier than you are, while you'll still get points for winning, they will not lose points for losing. This avoids the problem of having a too-small pool of players for the older players.

I'd suggest having the tiers be plainly visible and clearly explained, to avoid having players be caught off guard when they are automatically moved up a tier after their account ages.

Views
Comments
Comments
Jan 21, 2022, 13:3301/21/22
Jan 21, 2022, 13:35(edited)
04/02/19

Why?

What would be wrong in just selecting ten opponents from the tier you are in?

Any form of matchmaking just makes the whole thing artificial and frustrating

Also, how would you reward the medals required for GH if you base on time served?

Jan 21, 2022, 13:5801/21/22
Jan 21, 2022, 14:02(edited)
02/14/21

Shrug not sure how you fix a broken PVPVE machanic.

As someone pointed out to me, why would you punish someone just because they played the game longer?We have seen plenty of posts from long term players where their Arena teams are worse than someone who has only played a couple months

I have never understood why in a game mostly about PVE, they weighted PVPVE so heavily with haveing the GH be based off of it. 

I would first untie the Arena from the GH IMO, let people have other options to improve the GH.

Or and i hate this but a particition award , add to the fight 5 times in the Arena award 1 bottle of energy plus 5 gold metals, not overpowered but people who do not want to do Arena get a little something out of it.

PS Please do not start telling me about challenge, as the only challengeing part of Arena is remembering to hit refresh every 15 mins to find oppents you can beat 😂

Jan 21, 2022, 14:0201/21/22
06/25/20
Minin

As someone pointed out to me, why would you punish someone just because they played the game longer?We have seen plenty of posts from long term players where their Arena teams are worse than someone who has only played a couple months

I have never understood why in a game mostly about PVE, they weighted PVPVE so heavily with haveing the GH be based off of it. 

I would first untie the Arena from the GH IMO, let people have other options to improve the GH.

Or and i hate this but a particition award , add to the fight 5 times in the Arena award 1 bottle of energy plus 5 gold metals, not overpowered but people who do not want to do Arena get a little something out of it.

PS Please do not start telling me about challenge, as the only challengeing part of Arena is remembering to hit refresh every 15 mins to find oppents you can beat 😂

Just to be clear - for someone who has played the game longer, there would be no change. Is that punishing them?

Jan 21, 2022, 14:1301/21/22
02/14/21
kramaswamy.kr

Just to be clear - for someone who has played the game longer, there would be no change. Is that punishing them?

Some would say yes 😀

Not picking on your idea just not sure what the solution is as many offered even by me will have large holes in them.

Jan 21, 2022, 15:1701/21/22
Jan 21, 2022, 18:19(edited)
12/19/19

Easy Permanent Arena Fix:

Classic, 2 tiers that don't compete at all:

1) Completed Arbiter Missions, starts at G1 and includes G5 and Plat

2) Not completed Arbiter, no G5 or Plat

Tag:

• Players that have claimed Ramantu do not count against Tier limits

Occam's Razor

Jan 21, 2022, 18:0401/21/22
01/20/20

Problem  with  that  classic  arena  fix  is  as  soon  as  you  get  arbiter  odds  are  you  are  heading  straight  to  bronze  1  where  just  before  you  were  at  gold  4  since  you  now  have  one  of  the  weaker  teams  in  the  new  tier  you  are  competing in.  getting  arbiter  would  now  not  be  a  reward,  but  a  detriment to  building  your  GH.  And  at  the  end  of  the  day  it  does  not  fix  the  core  issue.

the  issue  is  classic  arena  loses  more  points  at arena reset  than  it  gains  from  new  players  and  bronze/silver  defense loss  point  offsets  (if  i  remember  correctly  in  silver  and  bronze  if  you  win  on  offense  you  get  X  points,  but  the person  on  def  only  loses  Y  points,  where  Y  is  less  than  X ).  Scarcity  of  points  leads  to  a  harder  arena.

Jan 21, 2022, 18:2101/21/22
12/19/19
wamphyri_99

Problem  with  that  classic  arena  fix  is  as  soon  as  you  get  arbiter  odds  are  you  are  heading  straight  to  bronze  1  where  just  before  you  were  at  gold  4  since  you  now  have  one  of  the  weaker  teams  in  the  new  tier  you  are  competing in.  getting  arbiter  would  now  not  be  a  reward,  but  a  detriment to  building  your  GH.  And  at  the  end  of  the  day  it  does  not  fix  the  core  issue.

the  issue  is  classic  arena  loses  more  points  at arena reset  than  it  gains  from  new  players  and  bronze/silver  defense loss  point  offsets  (if  i  remember  correctly  in  silver  and  bronze  if  you  win  on  offense  you  get  X  points,  but  the person  on  def  only  loses  Y  points,  where  Y  is  less  than  X ).  Scarcity  of  points  leads  to  a  harder  arena.

eta: starts at G1

So you take a small step back and have to "compete" again but only gold medals at least.  A small sacrafice for the 90% that find it impossible to get arbiter

Jan 21, 2022, 19:0901/21/22
10/15/20

Personally think it should have no matching at all other than an elo style rating system where you get a rating based on wins/losses and are matched with similar rated players.

Anything else makes a mockery of the idea of tiers.

I would also make matches blind so you cannot see who you are going to fight, it would reduce the win rate on attack 

Jan 21, 2022, 19:1101/21/22
10/15/20
Minin

Agree that too much is tied to arena, just really think anything other than points matchmaking will both be abusable and artificial.

Jan 21, 2022, 19:1301/21/22
02/14/21
trevor.wilson

Personally think it should have no matching at all other than an elo style rating system where you get a rating based on wins/losses and are matched with similar rated players.

Anything else makes a mockery of the idea of tiers.

I would also make matches blind so you cannot see who you are going to fight, it would reduce the win rate on attack 

Wouldn't blind matches make it worse?

At least now I can see 2 TM boosts and know it is a loss if a fight wasblind I would get nothing but that and just lose lose lose sorry does not sound like more fun 🤔

Jan 21, 2022, 19:1501/21/22
10/15/20
Minin

At least now I can see 2 TM boosts and know it is a loss if a fight wasblind I would get nothing but that and just lose lose lose sorry does not sound like more fun 🤔

Fair enough :)

My view on rating and matching stands though- just have it based on points. If someones team is weaker than another persons it should be in a lower tier.

The problem is that GH is so important and medals outside of gold take forever.

dthorne04Moderator
Jan 21, 2022, 19:4601/21/22
12/30/20

I wouldn't hate an overhaul to the matchmaking system, perhaps something ELO style as Trevor mentioned.

Anything account age based I'm super out on. I think that just punishes anyone who wants to do the minimum in PVP to get by in dailies, missions, etc. and could end up being way too discouraging. 

Jan 21, 2022, 19:4901/21/22
01/19/21
Minin

Depends on what your goal is. 

It has two major advantages over the current system. First, it'd take activity mostly out of the equation and people would naturally stabilize in a tier where the enemy teams are roughly equal to them (assuming matchmaking was random). Second, it'd save you a lot of time refreshing again and again, hoping to find teams to beat. Instead, you'd burn through as many tokens as you felt like in a few minutes (unless Plarium decides to artificially restrict you by more than just tokens) and would end up with a roughly 50/50 win ratio.

The disadvantage of course is that it takes the gear/champion check aspect of the arena and dials that up to about 11. If you can't pick your fights, you're at the mercy of raw, generic power levels. It'd also mean that arguably the only interesting part of the arena, trying to fight different teams by using different teams of your own (assuming you have enough champions and resources to do that), would be gone since the vast majority of your opponents is gonna be the meta cookie-cutter speed teams where a single float value will likely decide if you win or lose.

I think the arena is beyond fixing without a major redesign and/or shift in intent. It could be improved slightly in its current form, but it'd just be treating the symptoms. Ironically, I think the best way to improve it would be to do the one thing that Plarium vehemently denies that they have done, which is to add bots to it, albeit with a reasonable difficulty rather than as free wins (not that I'm complaining, free wins is less time I have to waste if I don't want to). It's not meaningful PvP, might as well drop the pretense and work on improving what it actually is rather than what you pretend it is. I doubt Plarium care enough to actually do anything though.

Jan 21, 2022, 20:1501/21/22
02/14/21
EGDNIT

Depends on what your goal is. 

It has two major advantages over the current system. First, it'd take activity mostly out of the equation and people would naturally stabilize in a tier where the enemy teams are roughly equal to them (assuming matchmaking was random). Second, it'd save you a lot of time refreshing again and again, hoping to find teams to beat. Instead, you'd burn through as many tokens as you felt like in a few minutes (unless Plarium decides to artificially restrict you by more than just tokens) and would end up with a roughly 50/50 win ratio.

The disadvantage of course is that it takes the gear/champion check aspect of the arena and dials that up to about 11. If you can't pick your fights, you're at the mercy of raw, generic power levels. It'd also mean that arguably the only interesting part of the arena, trying to fight different teams by using different teams of your own (assuming you have enough champions and resources to do that), would be gone since the vast majority of your opponents is gonna be the meta cookie-cutter speed teams where a single float value will likely decide if you win or lose.

I think the arena is beyond fixing without a major redesign and/or shift in intent. It could be improved slightly in its current form, but it'd just be treating the symptoms. Ironically, I think the best way to improve it would be to do the one thing that Plarium vehemently denies that they have done, which is to add bots to it, albeit with a reasonable difficulty rather than as free wins (not that I'm complaining, free wins is less time I have to waste if I don't want to). It's not meaningful PvP, might as well drop the pretense and work on improving what it actually is rather than what you pretend it is. I doubt Plarium care enough to actually do anything though.

Shrug

I just know the things that fustrate me.

Here is what I would change

Add the bots back sorry those looking for a fight still can those not can battle the bots IMO😁

Stop with the over penalizing your players on resets, change to a % base like 10-20% reduction in the points that were earned, right now it is so painful to be so many points short and know that at reset you have 100s of points to get back.

Add a participation award to the daily quest of 5 gold metals.

Stop putting gear in end game content that screws over the players who can not get it, example Hydra gear I fought a team where the reser had the unremovable block debuff gear and well I killed the rest of his team reser resed them all game over.

Just my off the wall ideas not any better than anyone elses 😢

Jan 21, 2022, 23:0301/21/22
04/12/21

To me the worst thing about the arena is not the playing or the matching but the reset.

What Plarium does is artificially penalize everyone by dropping your point score down to the bottom of your range. That is like instantly losing like 20 or so battles when that did not really happen.

So for that I suggest just leave the score as-is, or maybe reset it to the middle of your tier range. That is easy to do programming wise.

Jan 21, 2022, 23:1101/21/22
04/12/21

swami, so play time in the game is related to what? you want to give P something else to watch?

Jan 23, 2022, 08:1801/23/22
08/18/21
Minin

Annoying  as  hell  considering  the  red  books  needed  to  succeed  in  pve  is  locked  behind  gold  arena!  

three  or  nore  books  are  unobtainable  in  a  largely  pve  game  vecause  of  a  pvp  arena  mode.