All Categories

Tag Arena Rework

Tag Arena Rework

Search
Jan 13, 2022, 16:0501/13/22
05/26/20

Tag Arena Rework

Anyone in my clan can tell you how I feel about Tag Arena, but probably not without the use of expletives that the moderators here would have to take action on.

Most of the community feels the same way (you TTA fans are the minority!).

I thought I would start my own thread on constructive feedack/discussion, because I WANT to like Tag. 

Beside the fact that TTA in raid is grossly mislabeled (there is no tagging in - which WOULD be really fun and dynamic), the biggest problem is the low static numbers in each bracket. It effectively locks out advancement slots from G4 all the way down, because accounts that are demoted to the next lower rank are most likely going to take an advancement slot back to the next rank over newer contenders. Accounts that don't make the cut to advance but are holding steady in current bracket also limit opportunity. Players tend to settle into a back-and-forth or hold steady rank. Most people below that are SOL. It all rolls downhill.

Opening these up considerably would have the most immediate impact on how the player base perceives and participates in the game mode.

The weekly reset bar is another discouraging facet of the game mode. This is what birthed the MOTH movement. A huge improvement to the game mode would be to restructure how this works. Keep the weekly reset for the gold bars, but during the week, allow players to freely move up and down tiers like in Classic Arena. There is no bonus for Tag rank, and the Bazaar items already have purchase cooldowns. Additionally, players that don't participate much in Tag will not have the bars to buy the better bazaar items regularly anyway. At the end of the week, change the gold bar rewards to be some combination of ending Tier plus performance. A good way to do it is by actually putting those ranking points to use. Ranking points earned in each fight are affected by a multiplier for the Tier in which they were earned. For example, a player spends most of the week in Bronze 3, but manages to end in Bronze 4 with some fights in that rank. The bars they get are based on (Points in B3)*(B3 multiplier) + (Points in B4)*(B4 multiplier). 

These changes would be HUGE to the player base, while still maintaining a competitive environment in TTA.

I'll pre-empt the obligitory Trips response that the current system is an intentional paywall by pointing out that if it is, SHAME on Plarium. Of course they need to be profitable, but doing it at the expense of player frustration is just wrong. People that spend money on the game are going to spend money on the game. There is plenty of content to prompt purchases. Making an unpopular game mode more player-friendly would probably help grow/maintain the player base, as well as just being the right thing to do.

Cheers! Thanks for reading.

Views
Comments