All Categories

Do Type Charms work at the forge?

Search
Sep 22, 2021, 16:3309/22/21
06/03/21

The information in game on the Rarity and Rank charms shows a significant boost to chances of getting higher rarity and Ranks.

There is no information listed for the Type Charms.  Just says 2x chance.

I just did the 7 combines I had materials for seeing if I could get 5star boots.  I used a rank and rarity charm and a boot Type charm.  The Rank and Rarity charms seem to have worked but in 7 combines I did not get a single boot.  My luck may just be sucking as usual but it does not seem like the type charms really help.

Views
Comments
Comments
Sep 22, 2021, 17:1909/22/21
06/25/20

By default, you have a 1 in 6 chance of getting a specific type of item. The type charm makes that specific type have double the odds, so now you have a 2 in 7 chance of getting that item, and a 5 in 7 chance of getting any other item. Put another way, you now have a 28.6% chance of getting the specific item type you want.

The probability of your event occurring is therefore (1 - 0.286)^7 ~= 9.5%. So roughly one in ten times that you create 7 items, you won't get the boosted one. I wouldn't consider that indicative of anything being broken.

Sep 22, 2021, 17:4609/22/21
08/01/21
kramaswamy.kr

By default, you have a 1 in 6 chance of getting a specific type of item. The type charm makes that specific type have double the odds, so now you have a 2 in 7 chance of getting that item, and a 5 in 7 chance of getting any other item. Put another way, you now have a 28.6% chance of getting the specific item type you want.

The probability of your event occurring is therefore (1 - 0.286)^7 ~= 9.5%. So roughly one in ten times that you create 7 items, you won't get the boosted one. I wouldn't consider that indicative of anything being broken.

Wait, shouldn't the new odds be 1/3?  I don't math good

Sep 22, 2021, 17:4909/22/21
06/25/20
devlin71

Not quite, because then the sum would exceed the divisor. By default each item type is 1/6 chance, IE the sum of the 6 is 6/6 = 100%. If you made the charm cause the item type to become 1/3 (IE 2/6), the sum would be 2/6 + (1/6)*5 = 7/6.

Sep 22, 2021, 18:1409/22/21
12/19/19
devlin71

I think you are correct, but who knows what plarium did.  If it is truly 2x chance, it should be 1/3 of that type and 2/15 for each of the others.  This is the only thing that seems logical mathematically.

Sep 22, 2021, 18:5409/22/21
06/25/20
Trips

I think you are correct, but who knows what plarium did.  If it is truly 2x chance, it should be 1/3 of that type and 2/15 for each of the others.  This is the only thing that seems logical mathematically.

Hm. Suppose that works as well. Wonder which one they use.

Sep 22, 2021, 22:2709/22/21
09/14/20
Trips

In my reckoning, you have on normal events 6 possible results equally distributed. So the chances to get a specific item is 1/6. 

Now it would be interesting, how plarium handles the situation. 

If they actually stil calculate only 6 possible results being available, your logic is sound as they change the equal distribution of the results to a weighted distribution which leads to your number of 1/3 and 5 times 2/15.  This would fit with doubling the chances. (Unfortunately, I do not have the impression that the charms are that effective)

If on the other hand Plarium is adding another possible result while keeping an even distribution, we now have 7 possible results with 2 of them being the results enhanced by the charm. So we get 2/7 and 5 times 1/7 chance to get a specific type. Even so, Plarium is telling the truth that the charm provides a x2 chance...they are just omitting the addition of *in comparison to other results*,

Your logic would actually make the charms more effective. Do we trust Plarium to give players more control over RNG than needed?

From my admittedly basic understanding in programming, I can imagine that the solution with 7 possible results is much easier to implement. Something like

If *charm type* used add *charm.type* to Array.possible.result

Please do not judge upon the syntax of the line above, it should just give the idea of the simplicity of programming how I would imagine it.

If using your logic, you must implent different percentages for the results to happen and need a table to assign the new percentages for the possible results because you are not using an equal distribution anymore. 

Perhaps I am wrong but I would suspect Plarium to take the easy route and just add to the possible results and not actually shifting the weight.