All Categories

How do YOU define "F2P"?

How do YOU define "F2P"?

Search
Jul 15, 2023, 23:4707/15/23
07/01/22

How do YOU define "F2P"?

What truly is F2P? If you do Raid Pass for $9.99 a month are you not F2P?

Also if you spent $20 and that was 2 years ago, but you haven't spent anything since, are you now F2P or can you never be considering F2P because you spent money once (regardless of how long ago it was) OR do you feel there's like a "Statute of Limitations" and after X amount of time, you're now F2P again?

Since we're making a distinction between Whale and Kraken, I do wonder if there's some variance in what people consider F2P as well. Like Semi-F2P or Sub-Only F2P?

Would be interested to discuss how people define the tag of F2P and especially if any spending, regardless of how long ago, is a permanent or temporary disqualification of F2P status

EDIT: Lets throw a new variable in: Google Play Points. You can earn Google Play Points without spending money AND you can use them to buy in game items (energy/chickens). You can also turn Google Play Points into Google Play Dollars to buy stuff. SO, is it F2P to turn GPP into Energy and Chickens, but is it not F2P to turn GPP into Currency and buy Energy/Chickens in game?

Views
Comments
Comments
Jul 15, 2023, 23:5207/15/23
05/03/20

F2P is never spending any money.  I guy the gem pack and forge pass.  I need a name to define me.  

Oh, did I set that one up.  

ShortOnSkillzModerator
Jul 16, 2023, 01:2507/16/23
06/24/19
ClosedPoly

F2P is never spending any money.  I guy the gem pack and forge pass.  I need a name to define me.  

Oh, did I set that one up.  

That means you're a whale, obviously.

Kidding of course but I'm in agreement anyone claiming to be F2P ( for some reason, never understood why people wear this as some badge of honor ) should have spent 0 money.

Jul 16, 2023, 01:4107/16/23
Jul 16, 2023, 02:02(edited)
04/24/22

From ayumi website :P 

F2P (Free to Play): Spent $0
Amoeba: One Time Transaction on an Excellent Offer (e.g. Black Friday)
Minnow: Spent between $1~30 per month
Bass: Spent between $30~100 per month
Dolphin: Spent between $100~300 per month
G Squid: Spent between $300~500 per month
Whale: Spent between $500~2000 per month
Kraken: Spent between $2000~5000 per month
Cthulhu: Spent above $5000 per month 

Jul 16, 2023, 02:0807/16/23
07/01/22
Lyryal

Right but that's not your own opinion so...

Jul 16, 2023, 02:2807/16/23
04/24/22

lol rude AF arent ya 

Jul 16, 2023, 02:5907/16/23
07/01/22
Lyryal

lol rude AF arent ya 

No, I'm clarifying that I'm looking for a discussion using your personal opinion, not a google search. If I asked how you define a word and you give me the webster's dictionary definition, that's not what I'm going for.

Also I added a Points Program into the question so now it's a bit more complicated. I still do want you personal opinion if you have one.

Jul 16, 2023, 03:3907/16/23
04/24/22

I mean i replied you my opinion , that list falls in line with what i think about the subject . There's no variation of f2p , you're either one or you're a type of sea creature that spends . Also that site was the one i used at first when i started playing this game , i didnt have to google search , its in my bookmark tab ...

Has for the point program , i do not use or know how it works but for the sake of the discussion you want ...

If you earn them for free , like from doing nothing at all beside playing or leaving review on the google store , its f2p 

If you earn them by spending on something else(like similar to credit card points) then its not f2p , if that makes any sense to you .

Jul 16, 2023, 08:1907/16/23
Jul 16, 2023, 09:11(edited)
06/20/19
Lyryal

The above response ignores the inquiry of the op.  Per month, per month, per month!!!!  I've spent zero PER MONTH for more than a year.  am I f2p or am i not? Based on the available info?

seriosly what if I spend $30/month for 6 months then spend $1000 one month?  And then spend nothing for 2 years?  while the above may give a simple rule of thumb it is hardly a working definition.

To op

it reminds me of philosophy 101, basic logic.  There is no difference between spelled out words or simple signs.  They are all basic symbols.  The term 'plus' and the sign '+.'  They can have identical meaning, or a dozen different meanings.  

the meaning of a word, symbol, term, etc., is whatever the user intends it to mean.  the same may have a dozen different meanings.  That is called definition.  Thumb through a dictionary and tell me what percentage of terms have only one, or multiple, definitions,

at the same time, it is incumbent upon the user of the symbol to convey the precise meaning they intend.

Frankly, I don't see the import of assigning such labels to players, other than some badge of honor.

you asked for personal experience and discussion.  I haven't spent in over a year.  In 2022, after the Krisk event, I spent $40.  In 2021 I spent $60.  All of that on the daily gem packs you can purchase once a month.  The last time I spent anything other than those daily gem packs was xmas eve 2020.  I bought myself a xmas present of shards $250 and regreted it.

if someone labels me f2p it doesn't bother me and at this point I think it's deserved.  If someone labels me as minnows or whale etc., who cares unless it's a badge of honor?

I couldn't care less what label you apply to me (it's all semantics) so long as I've conveyed my meaning of the terms I've used,

you are asking a question of symantmics, not of substance.  Do you comprehend my spending history?  If so you understand my communication.  How you apply labels to me is entirely up to you.  Symantecs!

Jul 16, 2023, 08:2607/16/23
04/24/22
Angwil

The above response ignores the inquiry of the op.  Per month, per month, per month!!!!  I've spent zero PER MONTH for more than a year.  am I f2p or am i not? Based on the available info?

seriosly what if I spend $30/month for 6 months then spend $1000 one month?  And then spend nothing for 2 years?  while the above may give a simple rule of thumb it is hardly a working definition.

To op

it reminds me of philosophy 101, basic logic.  There is no difference between spelled out words or simple signs.  They are all basic symbols.  The term 'plus' and the sign '+.'  They can have identical meaning, or a dozen different meanings.  

the meaning of a word, symbol, term, etc., is whatever the user intends it to mean.  the same may have a dozen different meanings.  That is called definition.  Thumb through a dictionary and tell me what percentage of terms have only one, or multiple, definitions,

at the same time, it is incumbent upon the user of the symbol to convey the precise meaning they intend.

Frankly, I don't see the import of assigning such labels to players, other than some badge of honor.

you asked for personal experience and discussion.  I haven't spent in over a year.  In 2022, after the Krisk event, I spent $40.  In 2021 I spent $60.  All of that on the daily gem packs you can purchase once a month.  The last time I spent anything other than those daily gem packs was xmas eve 2020.  I bought myself a xmas present of shards $250 and regreted it.

if someone labels me f2p it doesn't bother me and at this point I think it's deserved.  If someone labels me as minnows or whale etc., who cares unless it's a badge of honor?

I couldn't care less what label you apply to me (it's all semantics) so long as I've conveyed my meaning of the terms I've used,

you are asking a question of symantmics, not of substance.  Do you comprehend my spending history?  If so you understand my communication.  How you apply labels to me is entirely up to you.  Symantecs!

The op meant this as a harmless discussion ... and so what if my opinion is per month(amount of months played vs amount spend = per month spent ... 

its just a measurement for the heck of it , nobody is gonna brag about how much they spent or did not spent on these forums . Nobody is judging anyone over here , this is the least toxic game forum i ever encountered minus the keto thread spam :P

Jul 16, 2023, 08:2907/16/23
Jul 16, 2023, 08:32(edited)
06/20/19
Lyryal

The op meant this as a harmless discussion ... and so what if my opinion is per month(amount of months played vs amount spend = per month spent ... 

its just a measurement for the heck of it , nobody is gonna brag about how much they spent or did not spent on these forums . Nobody is judging anyone over here , this is the least toxic game forum i ever encountered minus the keto thread spam :P

Man if my post came off as toxic I entirely blew it.  my apologies.

edit: please note 90% of my post was addressed to trying to give my personal perspractice to op.

Jul 16, 2023, 08:3407/16/23
04/24/22
Angwil

Man if my post came off as toxic I entirely blew it.  my apologies.

edit: please note 90% of my post was addressed to trying to give my personal perspractice to op.

nah its probably just me , i get that its weird to follow that metric but in the end it just doesnt matter to most like you said , those who rly care about f2p or being a whale carry it as a badge of honor .

I just use that meter for my self , for the heck of it , also to keep me from spending too much :P

Jul 16, 2023, 08:4107/16/23
06/20/19
Lyryal

nah its probably just me , i get that its weird to follow that metric but in the end it just doesnt matter to most like you said , those who rly care about f2p or being a whale carry it as a badge of honor .

I just use that meter for my self , for the heck of it , also to keep me from spending too much :P

Yes. And another salient point may be that I have numerous'whale' associates that spend $1000/month or more, but have a second 100% f2p account that they love to play. Most of them don't were it like a badge of honor.  It's just a challenge to them.  I have a 100% f2p account but haven't logged in in a few months.

Jul 16, 2023, 12:1007/16/23
12/19/19

ping me if you need toxicity added to any thread!

100% f2p since "Battle Pass" (probably only one on forum playinhg then was Kram, maybe carpe?).  So I am a born again virgin fish.

My "alt" is "almost f2p".  An accidental pocket/butt purchase for 9.99 or 19.99 don't remember lol.

I take no pride in this status, more a badge of shame than a badge of honor.  For a couple bucks here and there I certainly would have saved a few minutes better spent elsewhere.  Such as writing valuable posts in important threads like this :)

Jul 16, 2023, 14:3507/16/23
07/08/19
Trips

100% f2p since "Battle Pass" (probably only one on forum playinhg then was Kram, maybe carpe?).  So I am a born again virgin fish.

My "alt" is "almost f2p".  An accidental pocket/butt purchase for 9.99 or 19.99 don't remember lol.

I take no pride in this status, more a badge of shame than a badge of honor.  For a couple bucks here and there I certainly would have saved a few minutes better spent elsewhere.  Such as writing valuable posts in important threads like this :)

i realize that being rude on the forums is kind of your whole deal, but this... this is beyond the pale. i was clawing my way into Gold IV before the battle pass was anything but a gleam in the game developer's eye, lad. get out of here with your "maybe" foolishness.

honestly, the nerve of you young'uns these days.

dthorne04Moderator
Jul 17, 2023, 00:0707/17/23
12/30/20
Trips

"accidental purchase"

a likely story, sir

ShortOnSkillzModerator
Jul 17, 2023, 00:2907/17/23
06/24/19
dthorne04

"accidental purchase"

a likely story, sir

More likely accidentally F2P between purchases.

Jul 17, 2023, 01:2007/17/23
07/01/22
Angwil

To op

It's definitely a somewhat philosophical question, but it's not just the F2P tag but what *truly* counts as spending.

Some state that if you get rewards and use them, then it's ok and counts as F2P (like the google points thing).

Plarium does hold contests and I wonder if one were to grant you in-game currency (like $50) then people would say you're still F2P probably. So then the question becomes, what amount could you be awarded where you say "Ok no, that's definitely not F2P anymore". $500? $2000? 

But really, it's all about what people think because that's what's interesting. The definition of a word is supposed to be what the majority of people think it means (so like people who say "Everyone uses Ironically wrong" are themselves wrong because if everyone is using a word a certain way, that is the definition)

What I'm most interested in is the concept of Time since your last purchase. I spend every month so it's not applicable to me, but its *my* opinion that if you go at least a year without spending, you are now F2P.

Jul 17, 2023, 01:2807/17/23
07/01/22
Trips

While "Accidental Butt Purchase" leaves me with more questions than answers, you did say something that I think is important.

Spending to save time. It's a whole new can of worms, but its true that everyone's time has a value and most can put a $ amount to their time. I'm not sure what Battle Pass is, but the Raid Card could be argued as purely a time saver. It doesn't get you gems or shards, you only get silver/xp and multi-battles, all which help you save time OR even do other things while the game runs in the background with the multi's.

I think someone could make a strong argument that the Raid Pass might be a F2P exception in terms of spending.

Jul 17, 2023, 02:0007/17/23
12/19/19
Onikage55

It's definitely a somewhat philosophical question, but it's not just the F2P tag but what *truly* counts as spending.

Some state that if you get rewards and use them, then it's ok and counts as F2P (like the google points thing).

Plarium does hold contests and I wonder if one were to grant you in-game currency (like $50) then people would say you're still F2P probably. So then the question becomes, what amount could you be awarded where you say "Ok no, that's definitely not F2P anymore". $500? $2000? 

But really, it's all about what people think because that's what's interesting. The definition of a word is supposed to be what the majority of people think it means (so like people who say "Everyone uses Ironically wrong" are themselves wrong because if everyone is using a word a certain way, that is the definition)

What I'm most interested in is the concept of Time since your last purchase. I spend every month so it's not applicable to me, but its *my* opinion that if you go at least a year without spending, you are now F2P.

Recency is very important, as it is likely the #1 indicator of future purchase likelihood.  Which is likely the "best" definition of f2p. If probability =0 then f2p.  This would probably correlate with plariums definition quite highly. 

What the majority define f2p as is definitely not worth a damn, as the majority are idiots 🙄 

So your last sentence, is actually an elegant definition imo. 

Jul 17, 2023, 02:0807/17/23
12/19/19
Onikage55

While "Accidental Butt Purchase" leaves me with more questions than answers, you did say something that I think is important.

Spending to save time. It's a whole new can of worms, but its true that everyone's time has a value and most can put a $ amount to their time. I'm not sure what Battle Pass is, but the Raid Card could be argued as purely a time saver. It doesn't get you gems or shards, you only get silver/xp and multi-battles, all which help you save time OR even do other things while the game runs in the background with the multi's.

I think someone could make a strong argument that the Raid Pass might be a F2P exception in terms of spending.

Spending to save time is a weak argument for an f2p exception 😆.  I think it can be argued that it is wise/optimal/"profitable"/??? or just about anything positively.  But spending any currency  (dollars, points, gift cards) on this game that could be used to purchase goods elsewhere is spending... not disputable:)

As for your other questions:

Battlepass was basically forge pass years ago, but even a better value.  It was such a good value, it went extinct.   

Have you ever pocket dialed someone? That's the equivalent of a butt purchase.