All Categories

Live arena must have tie breaker now

Search
Apr 21, 2023, 15:0504/21/23
01/31/21

30 min lost. My time is precious  dont waste it Plarium.

i

Views
Comments
Comments
Apr 21, 2023, 15:4904/21/23
09/02/22

What do you suggest?

Apr 21, 2023, 21:4604/21/23
12/16/21
Kankle69

What do you suggest?

Best suggestion I've heard is to have a seperate, cumulative, turn clock for each player, like in chess.

If your total 15 minutes run out, you lose

Apr 21, 2023, 21:5504/21/23
06/25/20

And that would solve OP's problem how? That fight will never end. OP's problem is team design, not game design.

Apr 21, 2023, 22:3304/21/23
06/20/19
MooredRat

Best suggestion I've heard is to have a seperate, cumulative, turn clock for each player, like in chess.

If your total 15 minutes run out, you lose

So I run all these i auto so I would win against anyone who played manual and couldn't beat me.  My opponents take 5 times as much time as I do.  But let's say both players played on auto? The winner would be whichever player's champs had the fastest animations!

Apr 21, 2023, 22:5804/21/23
12/16/21

and that's worse than a loss for both sides that takes the full 30 minutes?

Apr 21, 2023, 23:1104/21/23
06/20/19
MooredRat

and that's worse than a loss for both sides that takes the full 30 minutes?

Absolutely! That's BS!  I don't see the problem.  I haven't had a fight go over 5 minutes. 

to be clear, I'm the one who would have the advantage, because im too lazy to manual, and I still think it's BS. 

why should I win because I'm lazy or my champs have faster animations?

best part about auto, I don't care if it takes a half hour. And I never forfeit.

I'll be in the garden pulling weeds while my opponent is pulling their hair out or writing posts complaining about never ending fights :)

Apr 22, 2023, 01:2704/22/23
12/16/21

So you're against doing anything to solve a problem on the grounds that is doesn't affect you personally?

And if you were to go up against a team you couldn't beat within half an hour, you'd rather lose?

And if you were to go up against someone who intentionally tries to run out the clock, takes 14 seconds for every turn, you want to still take a loss, which just incentivizes them to do the delaying tactic more, instead of you getting the win, and them the loss, because you want your stalemate to take LONGER before you can go to the next match?

dthorne04Moderator
Apr 22, 2023, 02:1104/22/23
Apr 22, 2023, 02:13(edited)
12/30/20
kramaswamy.kr

And that would solve OP's problem how? That fight will never end. OP's problem is team design, not game design.

Both can be true, though. 

Something akin to a chess clock would deincentivize stalling to some degree while not punishing the opposite player who is playing in flow/efficiently/quickly/call it what you will. 

To be clear: I don't think a tiebreaker is good. I do think a massive deincentivization for stalling (time, not team composition) makes sense, though 

Apr 22, 2023, 04:0104/22/23
Apr 22, 2023, 04:06(edited)
06/20/19
MooredRat

So you're against doing anything to solve a problem on the grounds that is doesn't affect you personally?

And if you were to go up against a team you couldn't beat within half an hour, you'd rather lose?

And if you were to go up against someone who intentionally tries to run out the clock, takes 14 seconds for every turn, you want to still take a loss, which just incentivizes them to do the delaying tactic more, instead of you getting the win, and them the loss, because you want your stalemate to take LONGER before you can go to the next match?

Thank you for that mouth full of words you just put into my mouth.

'you're ' against'

'you'd rather'

'you want'

'you want'

'you're against '

Apr 22, 2023, 04:2104/22/23
Apr 22, 2023, 04:44(edited)
11/19/22
Kankle69

What do you suggest?

In Summoners War, which Raid is based on, their live arena has everyone's HP reduced by 10% and attack increased 10% every few rounds. That prevents fights over-running. 

Apr 22, 2023, 04:3004/22/23
06/20/19

Ok I'll admit I just haven't seen the problem up to this point. But that could change as I progress into silver.  I had a battle go 5:11 today.  While that's a long fight, it's just not troubling me.

since it's not an issue for me, I'll back out and let those players it's an issue for discus it.

if it becomes an issue for me I'll come back to the conversation.

Apr 22, 2023, 06:0304/22/23
12/09/22
Fathertron

In Summoners War, which Raid is based on, their live arena has everyone's HP reduced by 10% and attack increased 10% every few rounds. That prevents fights over-running. 

That seems interesting but can turn up being abused by certain teamcomps no?

Apr 22, 2023, 07:1604/22/23
11/19/22
Donvak

That seems interesting but can turn up being abused by certain teamcomps no?

In SW? No, not at all. 

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 22, 2023, 10:2304/22/23
02/24/19
Angwil

Ok I'll admit I just haven't seen the problem up to this point. But that could change as I progress into silver.  I had a battle go 5:11 today.  While that's a long fight, it's just not troubling me.

since it's not an issue for me, I'll back out and let those players it's an issue for discus it.

if it becomes an issue for me I'll come back to the conversation.

It not being an issue for you is relevant to the discussion, as is Krama's comments about team design being the issue rather than the clock.

I personally don't feel we need to have a tie breaker either. Like Classic, it is the attacker's responsibility to defeat the defensive team to secure a victory. In Live, both players are choosing to attack, so the responsibility to win is on both of them.

If you nor the other player can actually win, you don't deserve points for winning.

Apr 22, 2023, 16:5404/22/23
12/09/22
Fathertron

In SW? No, not at all. 

Oh no no, i meant here, in raid

Apr 22, 2023, 16:5504/22/23
12/09/22
harleQuinn

It not being an issue for you is relevant to the discussion, as is Krama's comments about team design being the issue rather than the clock.

I personally don't feel we need to have a tie breaker either. Like Classic, it is the attacker's responsibility to defeat the defensive team to secure a victory. In Live, both players are choosing to attack, so the responsibility to win is on both of them.

If you nor the other player can actually win, you don't deserve points for winning.

Wont it be nice if the timer was cut in half though? Like, instead of 30min, let it be 15min. Perhaps this would be the best way of changing the tank meta without having to actually rebalance the champs

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 25, 2023, 03:0904/25/23
Apr 25, 2023, 03:31(edited)
02/24/19
Donvak

Wont it be nice if the timer was cut in half though? Like, instead of 30min, let it be 15min. Perhaps this would be the best way of changing the tank meta without having to actually rebalance the champs

I will pass this along. Thanks.

Apr 25, 2023, 03:2304/25/23
09/14/20
harleQuinn

I think there is a major difference between Classic and Live arena, which makes it imcomparable.

In Classic, you choose to attack...yes...you also know your opponent which you choose to attack.

In Live arena, you just choose to randomly be paired against another opponent. But it is not a considerate choice to attack a specific defense or opponent team. 

I also think we do not need a tie-break...but some decisive parameter or mechanism. Fathertron mentioned the increase in attack / decrease in hitpoints, which might work. Another option might by amount of damage dealt...or giving a fixed umber of revives, reducing max HP on revival or giving an automatic reduction of max HP/defense/resistance with every hit you take.

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 25, 2023, 03:2604/25/23
Apr 25, 2023, 03:59(edited)
02/24/19
Matrim

I think there is a major difference between Classic and Live arena, which makes it imcomparable.

In Classic, you choose to attack...yes...you also know your opponent which you choose to attack.

In Live arena, you just choose to randomly be paired against another opponent. But it is not a considerate choice to attack a specific defense or opponent team. 

I also think we do not need a tie-break...but some decisive parameter or mechanism. Fathertron mentioned the increase in attack / decrease in hitpoints, which might work. Another option might by amount of damage dealt...or giving a fixed umber of revives, reducing max HP on revival or giving an automatic reduction of max HP/defense/resistance with every hit you take.

You still get to pick or counterpick your team according to what they are picking, hoping to minimize the stall. So I see you having a decent number of choices in picking to counter a stalemate, like in Classic. There are less, but you still have a lot of control here.

That said, I have been roped for 7 minutes two different times today by someone running down the clock to 1 second every time after I locked out their champs. And that continued as I killed champ after champ. Just longer and longer stalling.

So mechanisms might be nice, but I see the most important change to prevent raging players from purposely wasting our time. :)

Apr 25, 2023, 07:1204/25/23
Angwil

Absolutely! That's BS!  I don't see the problem.  I haven't had a fight go over 5 minutes. 

to be clear, I'm the one who would have the advantage, because im too lazy to manual, and I still think it's BS. 

why should I win because I'm lazy or my champs have faster animations?

best part about auto, I don't care if it takes a half hour. And I never forfeit.

I'll be in the garden pulling weeds while my opponent is pulling their hair out or writing posts complaining about never ending fights :)

You dont see the problem. I tried what happen if i put a super tanky team (+ressurecting ) to live arena. End result 30 minutes game. I bet the opponent enjoyed the battle, when his enemy wait to last 1-2 sec to turn and delay the time.