All Categories

Which roles require sets and which require stats?

Search
Oct 30, 2022, 14:3310/30/22
02/11/21

When we help people build their champs, we often say "stats over sets". But it's not quite as cut and dry, and gear requirements can be very important in deciding whom to build. 

For example: an AOE nuker benefits greatly from Savage, Instinct, or Cruel sets. A dungeon solo champ is often required to have Lifesteal or Regeneration sets. On the other hand, a debuffer only needs stats (Accuracy, Speed), so sets like Perception and Accuracy help, but are not necessary. 

What other examples of general roles/builds can you think of that employ specific features of sets beside stats? 

Views
Comments
Comments
dthorne04Moderator
Oct 30, 2022, 16:0010/30/22
12/30/20

Thinking in terms of content and roles can be helpful. 

Lifesteal can be quite useful early on in CB/Campaign farming. Stalwart has its place in CB (especially in killable comps)

Destroy against Scarab unless you want to be there for awhile. 

Relentless and Reflex (though it has its uses elsewhere too) are great in Hydra.

Later on in Arena is where things get fun and we definitely want to start giving up stats for sets at times. Stone Skin, Immunity, Bolster, Swift Parry, etc. 

That said, early on other than Lifesteal I'm firmly in the "stats over sets" camp. I see too many early game players trying to jam in extremely suboptimal builds based around sets. I think focusing on stats for them is going to end up being a way better exercise in conceptualizing what they're looking for in terms of stat thresholds in content. 

Oct 30, 2022, 18:1910/30/22
06/25/20

The short answer is - people built for a specific role may need sets, everyone else does not, but may benefit from them.

Oct 31, 2022, 09:3110/31/22
05/03/20

Cleoptorix   Danag Skullreap   Deliana   Dracomorph   Drexthar Bloodtwin   Drokgul the Gaunt   Duchess Lilitu   Fu-Shan   Helicath   Kreela Witch-Arm   Lord Champfort   Mighty Ukko   Mountain King   Prince Kymar   Queen Eva   Rhazin Scarhide   Roshcard the Tower   Roxam   Scyl of the Drakes   Scyl of the Drakes II   Skull Lord Var-Gall   Ultimate Deathknight  

These are my legos.  Which ones should be general and which should be specific role?

T

Oct 31, 2022, 09:3310/31/22
05/03/20

Alaric the Hooded   Alure   Armina   Atur   Azure   Baroth the Bloodsoaked   Battlesaage   Bloodfeather   Bushi   Cardinal   Catacomb Councilor   Chonoru   Dark Athel   Dark Elhain   Deacon Armstrong   Delver   Erinyes   Excruciator   Exemplar   Fang Cleric   Fayne   Galkut   Genbo the Dishonored I   Genbo the Dishonored II   Ghrush the Mangler   Golden Reaper   Gorgorab   Grimskin   Grizzled Jarl   Haarken Greatblade   Hexia   High Khatun   Hoforees the Tusked   Hope   Hordin   Husk   Jizoh   Kaiden   Kallia   Klodd Beastfeeder   Knight-Errant   Kytis   Lady Etessa   Lightsworn   Lodric Falconheart   Lordly Legionary   Luria   Marksman   Missionary   Mistress of Hymns   Myciliac Priest Orn   Oathbound   Peydma   Pitiless One   Psylar   Relickeeper   Rockbreaker   Sachi   Sanguinia   Seeker   Seneschal   Sepulcher Sentinel   Shaman   Skimfos the Consumed   Spider   Stag Knight   Tainix Hateflower   Taurus   Tayrel   Teshada   Theresc   Torturehelm   Umbral Enchantress   Urogrim   Woad Painted   Yaga the Insatiable   Zargala   Zelotah  

These are my epics.  General or specific roles?

I am going to save all the answers for future use.  Thx everyone.  

Oct 31, 2022, 10:1910/31/22
09/14/20

Well, before I spend about 12 hours listing every champ and doing some explanations for them....most of them can be found on youtube videos with explanations for them. You could also lookup sites like HellHades or Ayumi and do some research on them.

Many of them do not have any use at least in my teams....but you might want to look up

Alure, Armina, Cardinal, DArak Elhain, Deacon, Fayne, Genbo, Gorgo, Katun, Hoforees, Lodric, Luria, Orn, Peydma, Pyslar, Seeker, Stagm Umbral, and Urogrim....

Oct 31, 2022, 11:3510/31/22
05/03/20
Matrim

Well, before I spend about 12 hours listing every champ and doing some explanations for them....most of them can be found on youtube videos with explanations for them. You could also lookup sites like HellHades or Ayumi and do some research on them.

Many of them do not have any use at least in my teams....but you might want to look up

Alure, Armina, Cardinal, DArak Elhain, Deacon, Fayne, Genbo, Gorgo, Katun, Hoforees, Lodric, Luria, Orn, Peydma, Pyslar, Seeker, Stagm Umbral, and Urogrim....

I have checked out Aymi and HH.  I get my best info from the forum.  I dont expect one person to list them all.  I was curious if there were any hidden gems.  

Thanks for your input.  

Oct 31, 2022, 11:5210/31/22
09/14/20

Well, if you do not have Ukko, Hoforees might bring you through Skinwalker faction..

Oct 31, 2022, 12:4610/31/22
10/15/20

There are champs that are usefull only in one certain area of the game, Faction Wars or one DT boss. 

The rare Lizardman Metalshaper for example can help your team a lot vs. Scarab King, with his 2-turn shield on a 2-turn cooldown - but has no other use in the game, not even in Faction Wars.

Probably you want to bring some champs to 60 that can help in nearly every PvE content of the game, like Scyl, Duchess Lilitu, Tayrel, Urogrim, before (if at all) you level up a one trick pony like Metal Shaper.

harleQuinnModerator
Oct 31, 2022, 14:0910/31/22
02/24/19
Matrim

Well, if you do not have Ukko, Hoforees might bring you through Skinwalker faction..

Very good champ for that Faction. His release really helped me to finish up Skinwalkers. :)

Oct 31, 2022, 14:2310/31/22
06/25/20

Hippo essentially lets you solo the dungeon. Just need two other people who can survive, and he can just continuously revive the other two.

Oct 31, 2022, 15:3210/31/22
02/11/21
ClosedPoly

Cleoptorix   Danag Skullreap   Deliana   Dracomorph   Drexthar Bloodtwin   Drokgul the Gaunt   Duchess Lilitu   Fu-Shan   Helicath   Kreela Witch-Arm   Lord Champfort   Mighty Ukko   Mountain King   Prince Kymar   Queen Eva   Rhazin Scarhide   Roshcard the Tower   Roxam   Scyl of the Drakes   Scyl of the Drakes II   Skull Lord Var-Gall   Ultimate Deathknight  

These are my legos.  Which ones should be general and which should be specific role?

T

It's not really about the champion, it's about the role. Where in the game you use the champ and in what capacity? Once you figure that out, you can decide if your champion needs some bonus advantages certain sets provide.