All Categories

Let's Talk about Seer Hurell and Karma Burn

Search
Aug 27, 2018, 23:3508/27/18
07/30/18

To refresh, Seer Hurell is an Epic Support Champion from the Orc faction. I wanted to open a discussion about her Skill 3, Karma Burn.

Here's the description for the skill:

Karma Burn Level 1 -- 6 turns cooldown

Removes all buffs from all allies and enemies, then attacks all enemies. Damage increases according to the number of buffs removed.

Lvl. 2 - Cooldown -1

Lvl. 3 - Cooldown -1

On the surface, this looks like a pretty cool skill. It's an AoE/multi-target attack and counters enemy buffs at the same time. It also appears to be balanced since the player using Seer's Karma Burn must also be willing to sacrifice all beneficial buffs active on the board in order to dish out big damage.

In practice however, this skill is underwhelming to the extreme!

Most of my experience has been focused in Arena play. What I've observed so far:

- The skill description lacks information: how is the damage calculated? Is it based on each unique, active buff or each instance of every active buff (per champion)? What is the probability for failure?

- Karma Burn does very little damage. We're talking so little damage that I've found myself using Knock Out (Seer Hurell's basic attack) over Karma Burn because it's far more consistent and hey, maybe I'll get an extra turn out of it. Karma Burn's weak damage ties in heavily with the skill's high rate of failure...

- Resist stat easily counters Karma Burn. Or at least I think it's the Resist stat. Many champions simply shrug it off: they not only DON'T lose their buffs, they take next to no damage from the buffs that are converted into the attack. I doubt Resist main stat or the Resist artifact sets are all that popular. I could be wrong about that, but even if I am, why is Karma Burn so easily blocked?

- The skill has guaranteed downside: what this means is if I decide to Karma Burn my opponent, I can 100% count on all of my buffs being taken away. But the enemy's buffs could all still stick around, or I deal paltry damage to a few units while the rest shrug it off. My team can't resist the effects of Karma Burn, ever.

In short, Karma Burn does more to hurt my team. By using it, I'm saying to myself "I'm willing to ditch all my beneficial buffs for a small chance at removing enemy buffs and a small chance of dealing some damage to some enemies".

What seemed like a unique, crazy Hail Mary kind of super attack turns out to be actually very bad.

Thoughts?
Views
Comments
Comments
Aug 28, 2018, 09:5108/28/18
12/11/13
😐
Aug 28, 2018, 19:4008/28/18
07/30/18

Yup, kinda my reaction now that I've used her some more in Arena and Dungeons. Karma Burn is bad, straight up. I'm essentially using Seer Hurell only for Clan Banner, a pretty solid team buff & debuff, aaaand maybe her nice face paint and stiletto boots.

Hopefully a balance patch to make it better comes along soon. *hint hint* 
MariusAdmin
Aug 29, 2018, 12:2708/29/18
09/04/17
Hey, Maclintok. Thanks for a thorough breakdown of the situation. I'll see if I can get more info for you at some point soon. There might be a delay because of the update (people are in overdrive mode), but I'll do my best not to delay it for too long.
Aug 30, 2018, 05:2508/30/18
07/30/18

Thanks Marius. Your team has more pressing concerns now following the big update. Just wanted to put this on the radar.

I had thought Seer Hurell's kit to be kind of gimmicky at first until someone in global chat began singing her praises for her ability to deal with buffs in high level content/Arena. That got me interested enough to at least try her out. Now I do think she is a one-trick pony, which is fine except that her one trick isn't very good! :(
Dec 18, 2018, 21:4312/18/18
11/11/15
Any idea if her karma burn works properly now?
Oct 1, 2019, 14:1410/01/19
05/18/19
Ok, I've just draw Seer, so I've searched forum for opinions about this champ. I've found three interesting topics about hers ability, in each one it is said, that it's broken, there are some replies from Mods, that they'll check this out, but never confirmed that it's repaired. So my question is, what's the status of Seers A3? It's working properly? What about whole champ, is it worth to invest in and evolve to use?
Oct 1, 2019, 14:2010/01/19
06/01/19
As far as I know her ability has been nerfed due to the fact that she one-shotted Spider 20 in like 13 seconds. She's still viable but not as good. I'd say that if geared properly she's high mid tier, maybe low top tier. IF geared properly
Oct 1, 2019, 14:2910/01/19
05/18/19

Great, thank you for the reply :)

What do you suggest to dress her up?
Oct 2, 2019, 16:1910/02/19
03/23/19

you should look to youtube for builds... i see stewducer (stewgaming) use him often. her dmg is amazing on lvl20 stuff.

youtubers who are knowlegdable: Kizzle, Stewgaming, Chofly gaming. accross the board almost every champ will get a buildguide.

also think for yourself. that is 75% of the fun in this game.....

100% crit. 250% cr. dmg + many buffs.

i do agree that the descriptions are lacking

Aug 30, 2020, 19:3708/30/20
06/01/20

To be honest, I like seer. I've got her ranked to 6-stars, LVL 40. My only issue, make that two issues, are that

1. A lack of adequate documentation. According to the description she removes all buffs from allies and enemies!!! There is no indication that this is based on any stat or that this skill can be resisted. Which brings me to my next issue.
  2. Why are enemies allowed to resist the removal of buffs? That is not in the description! If it says removes all buffs from allies and enemies, it should remove all buffs from allies and enemies! If the skill depends on some status value, it should also state that.
I've had great success with Seer. Just let her do what it says she does or please explain why she doesn't.
Aug 30, 2020, 22:1108/30/20
12/19/19
Whyte Wizarrd said:

To be honest, I like seer. I've got her ranked to 6-stars, LVL 40. My only issue, make that two issues, are that

1. A lack of adequate documentation. According to the description she removes all buffs from allies and enemies!!! There is no indication that this is based on any stat or that this skill can be resisted. Which brings me to my next issue.
  2. Why are enemies allowed to resist the removal of buffs? That is not in the description! If it says removes all buffs from allies and enemies, it should remove all buffs from allies and enemies! If the skill depends on some status value, it should also state that.
I've had great success with Seer. Just let her do what it says she does or please explain why she doesn't.
Every action on enemy requires ACC unless it explicitly states that the skill CANNOT be resisted.  If this is not stated then ACC is assumed to be necessary.  This is for anyone with buff temoval not just seer.
Aug 31, 2020, 18:3108/31/20
06/01/20
OK. So what you're also saying is that all actions against enemies require the "Stated" stat and "ACC." So, an attack requires ATK and ACC. Hm. Good to know.
Aug 31, 2020, 20:0808/31/20
04/14/20
Whyte Wizarrd said:

OK. So what you're also saying is that all actions against enemies require the "Stated" stat and "ACC." So, an attack requires ATK and ACC. Hm. Good to know.
To be clear, pure damage doesn't require accuracy. What Trips meant was any kind of debuff or other special effect (reduce turn meter, remove buff, steal buff etc). A pure damage dealer, like Elhain for instance, doesn't need any accuracy. 
Sep 1, 2020, 22:1309/01/20
06/01/20

OK, that's fair. I'm fairly new to the game and along with the abundance of info necessary to understand, there  still seem to be inconsistencies in this descriptions.

I'm currently looking at Gorgorab's "Misfortune Level 1" description. I CLEARLY states he has a "50% chance of removing 1 random  buff." This brings me back to my original point. The indication is clearly, by comparison, Seer has a 100% chance of removal of enemy buffs, no matter what it's based on. If the chance is not 100% then the percentage should be stated. Or the Champs performance should be changed so everyone knows what to expect.

Upon reading the desc. one asks themselves if they want to leave their team vulnerable. But, watching the performance, the first few times, you say, "Wow, that's nice." Then you find that a buff remains on the enemy, while all of yours are gone. You go back and double check the desc. and wonder  why this happened. Then you run across Gorgorab's desc. and it makes you wonder about if this is a bug in the game. Removes means "Removes 100%." Point blank period. 50% chance of removal also means what it says.

JUST MAKE THE DESCRIPTION CONSISTENT!
Sep 1, 2020, 23:3509/01/20
Sep 1, 2020, 23:36(edited)
06/01/20

In addition, the Karma Burn desc goes on to state a 50 % chance of a sleep debuff, based on [Enemy MAX HP], increasing 5% per removed buff. Again, the chance of success/failure is clearly stated. I'm assuming the the description is not straight forward enough to describe in this fashion. But wait, the sleep just states [MAX HP]. So that means it's variable, but also qualified by the 50% spec.

I truly feel the description can give a more accurate description of its chances of success/failure instead of just "Removes All..."

Or, you could make it perform as described?!
Sep 2, 2020, 06:2309/02/20
05/13/19

Whyte Wizarrd said:

OK, that's fair. I'm fairly new to the game and along with the abundance of info necessary to understand, there  still seem to be inconsistencies in this descriptions.

I'm currently looking at Gorgorab's "Misfortune Level 1" description. I CLEARLY states he has a "50% chance of removing 1 random  buff." This brings me back to my original point. The indication is clearly, by comparison, Seer has a 100% chance of removal of enemy buffs, no matter what it's based on. If the chance is not 100% then the percentage should be stated. Or the Champs performance should be changed so everyone knows what to expect.

Upon reading the desc. one asks themselves if they want to leave their team vulnerable. But, watching the performance, the first few times, you say, "Wow, that's nice." Then you find that a buff remains on the enemy, while all of yours are gone. You go back and double check the desc. and wonder  why this happened. Then you run across Gorgorab's desc. and it makes you wonder about if this is a bug in the game. Removes means "Removes 100%." Point blank period. 50% chance of removal also means what it says.

JUST MAKE THE DESCRIPTION CONSISTENT!

Aug 16, 2022, 17:3408/16/22
08/05/22

lmfao this all aged horribly

dthorne04Moderator
Aug 16, 2022, 23:3308/16/22
12/30/20
alanrsl2022

lmfao this all aged horribly

i

What a wild necro of a four year old post, lol. 

My how times have changed. 

harleQuinnModerator
Aug 17, 2022, 01:0808/17/22
02/24/19

Wow. Oldest Necro I've seen. We close!

The topic is locked. You cannot post comments.