All Categories

(Important!) Artifacts Enhancement Event Cancellation (29.09.2019)

(Important!) Artifacts Enhancement Event Cancellation (29.09.2019)

Search
Comments
Sep 30, 2019, 02:4709/30/19
03/16/19

xInspireRuin said:

If I can be a voice of reason here.

sure, go ahead...

Understandably a lot of people are upset at the latest issue with the servers.  I, myself, spent a fair amount of silver to attain one of my last champions for the Maulie fusion.  While it was a surprise that the event was cancelled, I knew that there were issues when my enhancements started to take longer to proc the "Success" or "Fail" result.

so far so good...

Working at a tech company (website servers), I can say this much.  No piece of hardware is 100% reliable. 

It's 2019, nobody's talking about hardware anymore, check AWS or any other cloud provider's uptime SLA - 99.9999%. Simply following best practices you can achieve comparable results on-prem. It's not their first game, so supposedly they have some supposedly smart people working on server setups, databases and game back-ends.

Especially under cases of extreme traffic. 

Extreme traffic is Black Friday in Walmart. This game has 0 real-time features. It's traffic load is nothing compared to any real-time MMORPG, where you actually have to coordinate millions of connected players in near real time. Talking about ping below 100ms? What real time feature do we have here? A chat?

Given the circumstances, I wholeheartedly believe that Plarium did everything in their power to prepare for this event.

Like what? Checked the average of daily active players, checked 95th and 99th (three sigma anyone?) in server loads over the last month, ran a comprehensive stress test on staging environment, then used them results as a projection of expected load in production? Eliminated all the memory leaks in the code? Deployed an auto-scaling cluster with fail-safe load balancers?

It doesnt hurt to mention that Raid is one of the most popular mobile games available; not only in the US but in other countries as well.

It's around #70 in "top free iPhone games", according to SensorTower. Compared to many games it's player base is small.

(The sheer amount of server space and resources needed to handle all of our accounts must be pretty insane)

Insane is setup for Blizzards WoW realms. Here? Seriously, google "server setup for 1m concurrent connections" or "1m rps on single server" - you will find some good reads from 2014 (5 years ago).

What mustve been unexpected, was the sheer volume of players that woke up in anticipation of gaining this character.

Again, they have full statistics. Not anticipating something like that is incompetence.

If I had to bet, I would say that large majority of players were waiting for this event, as Ragemonger is a character that has recently been released and was not acquired by a lot of players.  This leads me to assume this was one of the last pieces of the puzzle for a lot of players to unlock the sought after legendary.  With the legendary being one small step away, I'll assume again that every active player who was close to finishing Maulie began upgrading away.

But for some reason, whoever planned this event didn't think that way and didn't see how this one champion will become a bottleneck. They probably didn't check it with PR department as well and they never heard of a very similar fiasco with previous limited legendary fusion.

Theres close to 0 chance that Plarium has their 'upgrade artifacts' data/scripts running on one server.  So what this may mean, is that we ran a very real threat of overloading multiple servers.  So, who knows what other aspects of the game could have been made unavailable..

Plarium made the right choice for our experience, as unexpected as it was.

They turned off a feature to avoid complete server crash, as simple as that. It doesn't matter what's their server(s) setup in the context of damage mitigation.

Plus, they are a company who I've seen first hand compensate their player base for even the smallest of downtime. (Ever gotten a spare boss key or some energy after a prolonged update?)

Now you do sound like a new player OR Plarium employee.

All things aside, Plarium has mentioned that an announcement will be made tomorrow about what will happen with the event moving forward.
Hopefully you can see that theres not too much cause for alarm, and while it is frustrating, I'm certain Plairum has a plan.
P.s. I'm not quite sure how the upvote system works here, but if it helps with visability give this comment a rating so more people can see it. (This is essentially just a different perspective on this issue.)  Thanks!

No offense, but it's a very long version of "it's not their fault, they are the good guys" BS, sugar coated in some distantly technical mumbo jumbo to make it sound more plausible.

No, it is their fault, and it's twice as painful to see something like this after Foli.

Sep 30, 2019, 03:0209/30/19
09/01/18

Yeah Plarium dropped the ball pretty hard here.  That one day of artifact event and champion chase tournament overlap was the day I wanted to fuse

Basher and Maulie and collect points for the champion chase tournament to get the legendary tome...extend the champion chase tournament please
Sep 30, 2019, 03:1209/30/19
03/16/19

Seriously, once I checked fusion, Ragemonger was an immediate red flag:

• new void champ
  • acquirable in the last week of fusion
  • acquirable from a paywall event (don't tell me that silver is easy to get)

"Centurion deja vu" anyone?

And I can't honestly take the whole server instability narrative without a grain of salt. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if they cancelled the event due to too many people finishing it too quickly (too many easier-than-expected-to-get Maulies).

Sep 30, 2019, 03:4509/30/19
05/13/19

How could you end this event while its still running??? I used 10 mio silver for 2k points!?!? For what?? Nothing!!

I didnt get the hero, which i need for the fusion and lost my silver!!!

Sep 30, 2019, 04:1909/30/19
03/26/19
everyone needs to get ALL the rewards from this even.  otherwise, you gonna lose alot of players.
Sep 30, 2019, 05:2509/30/19
05/16/19

madfox said:

everyone needs to get ALL the rewards from this event.  otherwise, you gonna lose alot of players.

That is the only way I see them NOT losing a ton of players over this.  I seriously doubt they will though.  At the bare minimum, they need to at least reward the champions from the event that were required for the fusion. 

This issue seems like it will be a defining moment, where we see if Plarium learned from Foli, or if they are willing to lose a whole lot more players yet again.
Sep 30, 2019, 06:4009/30/19
05/23/19

First of all I support all the frustration expressed above.

Especially sad is the reaction of developers to these problems... It’s been more than 12 hours and not a single answer to users’ comments.

The fact of such a shady notification about the cancellation of the event (post in the forum) leads to sad thoughts about the planned action aimed at getting the donation from the players at the final stage of the big fusion. The people used silver and did not receive neither heroes nor chicken. All for nothing. It seems mow that PLARIUM waits now the players will run and donate in order to be in time with the fusion. Before starting work on the server, a forced message is sent to all chat rooms several times. In this light everything suspiciously reminds me a cheap trick.

Of course, like any decent company, PLARIUM is not responsible for anything in its User Agreement, but there is a question of reputation and maintaining a loyal clientele. Such means of forcing to donate to increase sales or fulfill some internal budgets cannot build a sustainable business. A worthy way out of the situation is to admit your fuck up in an adult way and to grant everyone the rewards that were provided for the event completion. I do not mention silver compensation, since the artifacts have been improved. But people lost what they spent this silver for.

I hope for a responsible and honest solution by the developers on this issue (not a bunch of tokens and a key). Otherwise, I hope for a logical decision of the players to a full ban of donation or even this developer’s projects.

Sep 30, 2019, 07:0409/30/19
09/07/19

As a F2P player, I'm glad to see so many of you get burnt. Pumping money into a mobile game just so that you can be a few steps ahead of others? You deserve this and now you are the real losers.

On a side note, Plarium's probably going big with the compensations as this is a serious misstep. 

Sep 30, 2019, 09:3709/30/19
04/12/19

El Guapo said:

As a F2P player, I'm glad to see so many of you get burnt. Pumping money into a mobile game just so that you can be a few steps ahead of others? You deserve this and now you are the real losers.

On a side note, Plarium's probably going big with the compensations as this is a serious misstep. 

Not really.

- Those big spenders already have fused / found new leg champ in shard.

- every one else is expendable. who cares about whining f2p - go play somewhere else if you do not like it in here (PR will have them deny this, but form business perspective this is how they operate)

Things will change only when / if:

- top 5% spenders leave at once (those represent about 90% of total monthly income) - game dies, gets re-skinned and launched as completely new title (attract same / different spenders and situation repeats again)

- Plarium fires whole execs board and hire new guys in that spot (may change some stuff, big changes rather unlikely)

As long as top spenders are happy they can shit on the rest of the player base and this is sad reality.
Sep 30, 2019, 10:2409/30/19
05/03/19
El Guapo said:

Im a F2P aswell and i pumped a lot of time into it without spending money. im in the same boat. why do you hate others so much?
Sep 30, 2019, 11:1009/30/19
09/07/19

I'm also in the same boat. I came here to complain as well about losing silver and time but then I saw all these people talking about how much money they put in in order to complete the event and dominate their tournament groups and then I realized they are the reason I don't dominate my tourney groups. I play 3 times a day doing the best I can so that I can get something out of this game while they simply pay to stay ahead of people like me. 

So what I'm saying is, I was also screwed with this cancellation, but at least cash is not one of the resources that turned out to be wasted. A lot to be learned from this. 
Sep 30, 2019, 11:2609/30/19
03/22/19
Still no reply from them .......
CirillaAdmin
Sep 30, 2019, 12:3109/30/19
02/27/19

Hey-hey! I would like to let you know that you will receive the two champions-rewards from Artifacts Enhancement event (Hill Nomad and Ragemonger) as compensation for the canceled event. Also, we will give you some nice gifts to make up for the yesterday's lagging issues. We will keep you informed about when exactly you will receive the compensation. Have a marvelous week ahead!

Sep 30, 2019, 13:0409/30/19
07/24/19
So, thanks for awarding the thing most people wanted. If I could offer a suggestion, for events (especially big fusion ones) it may be helpful to post a road map and inform players atleast 5 days in advance. The road map should include the event, rewards and times. The prize tiers would be nice too but those other 3 are the big ones. This should help you guys understand better player fluctuations because we would know how to prepare. Additionally these events cause a lot of chaos it would make sense to reduce that to avoid the crisis. 
Sep 30, 2019, 13:0609/30/19
Sep 30, 2019, 13:10(edited)
05/25/19
Cirilla said:

Hey-hey! I would like to let you know that you will receive the two champions-rewards from Artifacts Enhancement event (Hill Nomad and Ragemonger) as compensation for the canceled event. Also, we will give you some nice gifts to make up for the yesterday's lagging issues. We will keep you informed about when exactly you will receive the compensation. Have a marvelous week ahead!

I would like the two champs with a side of two sacred shards and a 3 day XP boost.  Oh yeah and 5 rank 5 chickens.  Thanks in advance
Sep 30, 2019, 13:2509/30/19
Sep 30, 2019, 13:25(edited)
Cirilla said:

Hello guys! We have to stop the Artifacts Enhancement event for mitigating the load on the server and stabilizing the game performance. It will be stopped at 6 PM UTC. Please make sure that you have claimed the rewards that you have already received. We will decide what to do next about the whole thing tomorrow and will keep you informed. Thank you very much and happy Sunday!

Is there an update?
Sep 30, 2019, 13:4109/30/19
05/06/19
Cirilla said:

Thank you! Much appreciated for the compensation rewards 🙂. 
Sep 30, 2019, 14:2809/30/19
09/24/19
angelknight127 said:

So, thanks for awarding the thing most people wanted. If I could offer a suggestion, for events (especially big fusion ones) it may be helpful to post a road map and inform players atleast 5 days in advance. The road map should include the event, rewards and times. The prize tiers would be nice too but those other 3 are the big ones. This should help you guys understand better player fluctuations because we would know how to prepare. Additionally these events cause a lot of chaos it would make sense to reduce that to avoid the crisis. 
There literally is one in the news about the fusion event. A clear roadmap.
Sep 30, 2019, 14:3809/30/19
06/13/19

El Guapo said:

I'm F2P, I just plan accordingly.  Sorry you're so butt hurt by what other people do with their own money.

Thanks Palarium, I'm still a little miffed on missing an elite skill book but all things considered this was nice.  Thank you.