All Categories

How come plarium can make changes to act on hackers but can't fix matchmaking?

Search
Oct 23, 2021, 06:3610/23/21
08/12/21

How come plarium can't fix arc torrent sound glitch but they can act on hackers?

How come plarium can't fix falling through the map glitch but they can act on hackers?

How come plarium can't fix connection error but they can act on hackers?

How come plarium can act on hackers but they can't make drastic changes to matchmaking and make it more fair?

Views
Comments
Comments
Oct 24, 2021, 05:0610/24/21
08/12/21

Hello somebody?

Oct 24, 2021, 07:1910/24/21
Oct 24, 2021, 07:30(edited)
10/20/21

If you want an honest answer, at least my opinion on it, it's because the entire concept of match making is frankly flawed. 

For starters it's depending on a machine algorithm which always ends so well. algorithms are horribly unreliable in consistency. That's been proven time and again over the years. It is amusingly ironic considering it's the one thing a machine should do better. 

Second how do you judge whose at what level?

Do you base it on W/L? Not only can that just be luck or based more on your friend list, but that essentially punishes people for doing well. Such a design literally makes the game harder for winning which isn't fun. Progress should result in sign of improvement which should translate into things getting easier in some way, but this kind of match making consistently ups the difficulty well beyond the speed at which you progress in games like this.

You can actually see it in action in this game which makes me pretty confienent in saying W/L ratios are at least part of the match making. If you win say ten or so matches in a row suddenly you'll start seeing players who are much, much more powerful then you gear wise. Then when you inevitably lose those matches you'll be back to the power level you were dealing with before until the cycle repeats itself. Once you hit the gear ceiling (rank 7+) this stops being a problem as at that point enemies can only be your equal or beneath you, but until then it can be infuriating.

Do you base it on K/D? Again could be luck. Right time and right place can get you a lot of kills from pure happenstance. Could also be good tactics which would result again in punishing players that play well because eventually they'll be up against enemies who out gear them so heavily they can't make up the difference.

Do you combine the two? Still walk away with that whole problem of the game being harder the better you do. Also now you've introduced an easy exploit into the system for people who don't care about stats: That is loading a match and doing nothing. Just accepting the loss, repeating that a few dozen or even hundred times, purely to throw the algorithm off and give them easier fights.

Do you base it on hangar power? Less flawed, but now the whales will complain because suddenly spending 300$ on the game doesn't let them win easier it just puts them up against people who not only have equal gear, but likely have much more experience and thus better tactics. They don't want that even if they say otherwise. What they want is to spit 300$ at the game and then stomp peoples faces in. Not getting that instant gratification is pretty likely to make them quit and games like this can't afford that.

Honestly I have never, in 30 years of gaming, encountered a match making system I consider good. The best games are the ones that either have pure random match making (that is to say, none at all) or very, very loose match making. Something like "well we'll start looking at your hanger power/KD/WL/Whatever, but if we don't find anyone in five seconds we'll just expand the search out to higher/lower powers until we get a full match." 

To be perfectly clear I fully believe no match making is the best set up. Truly random is the most "fair" approach. No match making actaully rewards skill and investment of time (or money) more simply because the better/stronger you are the less likely you will be to encounter people you can't beat. If you're in the upper 10% of players that means roughly 90% of the time in a truly random system you'll be winning on at least a personal level.

Another way of getting around some of these problems is resetting the entire system every couple of weeks. If everyone is dragged back to the lowest rank at, lets say, the end of every month then the more skilled players get to feel good kicking the shit out of everybody for a few days before things stabilize again. Afterwards the weaker players won't be at the absolute peak of their statistical performance any more so they won't be stuck in that never ending cycle of "win three matches, then get curbstomped without a hope of victory, repeat." It also boots people who get by more on persistence or friends back to their proper rank so they don't end up getting constantly outclassed. During such resets most people don't care about running into a powerhouse player as much because the reaction will be "well they'll be long past me soon anyways."

People say what they want is a fair match. The vast majority of the time I've found this to be a lie. People want to win. If they win a fair match even better, but ultimately the win is more important then the fairness. They want to come out on top and who they're up against doesn't matter much. Honestly, if this game offered full co-op bot matches (5 players vs say 5 -10 bots) I would play little besides that and I doubt I'd be alone in that. I've seen it in every single "competitive game" that offers PvAI modes. Most people just want to shoot guns at mech, win the round, and move on to the next. Challenge isn't really what the vast majority of players are in for.

Oct 24, 2021, 09:0110/24/21
08/29/21

I have actually stopped caring about matchmaking.  And about win/loss. I am at 2750 hanger and win about 60% of the games played and probably mpv 80 or 90% of the time. I don't play tournaments anymore as they rife with cheaters. 

So I just play for fun now and to test out different combinations of mechs and weapons. 

An attitude change is a good thing as it means spending less money on being ultra competitive.  

Oct 26, 2021, 01:3110/26/21
10/26/21

Algorithms have been shown to work time and time again regardless what some people may think. The problem with the algorithms that is being used in the game is it does not have enough data to pull from and make good comparable choices. The more data point the more refined the algorithm, which leads to more balanced teams.

AlinaCommunity Manager
Oct 26, 2021, 10:5810/26/21
05/21/19

Hey, Pilots! We’re currently working on changes to the matchmaking system to ensure a smoother experience for all players and hope you’ll see an improvement in short order. For now, you can work around tougher matches by teaming up with your friends - it’s always easier to take opposition apart when you’re grouped with other skilled Pilots. 

Of course, I've forwarded your concern to the game team.

Oct 30, 2021, 05:4410/30/21
Nov 1, 2021, 19:25(edited)
08/12/21
Alina

Hey, Pilots! We’re currently working on changes to the matchmaking system to ensure a smoother experience for all players and hope you’ll see an improvement in short order. For now, you can work around tougher matches by teaming up with your friends - it’s always easier to take opposition apart when you’re grouped with other skilled Pilots. 

Once again all I have that you're working on matchmaking is your word and no details.

Oct 31, 2021, 04:1510/31/21
09/06/21
Alina

Perhaps  make  a  mecha  arena  spotlight  video  on  what  the  thoughts  are  on  matchmaking  from  the  devs  perspective.    I  think  it  is  pretty  clear  that  the  majority  of  players  are  not  happy  with  what  you  have  been  doing  and  i'm  sure  they  want  to  know  Plarium  is  serious  about  fixing  the  issues.  

Nov 2, 2021, 02:5611/02/21
08/12/21
Alina

What sorts of changes are you making to make it more fair? Can I get an answer to that?

Dec 6, 2021, 16:5012/06/21
11/07/21

i

i

Dec 6, 2021, 18:4612/06/21
Dec 6, 2021, 18:57(edited)
11/24/21
hypernova132.ec

What sorts of changes are you making to make it more fair? Can I get an answer to that?

Forget  Fair,  i  would  take  "playable"  -  game  is  non  playable  anymore  -  insta  dead ,  i've  not  till  recent  watched  an  end  of  a  deathmatch  having  all  my  mechs  killed  by  BOT/AI  -  watching  AI  play  agains  AI

And  mind  you  the  AI  that  kills  me  are  ubiquitous mechs like a swarm of Juggenaut 16's  with  RPG6  -  but  their  kill  power  is  amazing,  even  though  the  weapons  rating  for  the  MVPs  is  not  4  star  7/7  RPG6  -  3  shots  and  boom  goes  mech  with  40-60k  HP

It used to be that Juggenaut 16 would not survive fire from a Missle Rack 8 dual in one go, - now I cannot take them out armed with an MR-12 and Caribine-12 and so on. 

Gameplay became spastic and super fast, AI triangulates my bot from 3 to 4 angles - so I'm hit from around the corner, from the other side, and possibly some javelins or rocket mortars on top. AI teams are purpose built and organized. Long defense, short defense, offense etc.. Meanwhile a human cannot even preview the mechs other players have picked before the round goes down.

Dec 10, 2021, 02:4712/10/21
11/09/21

Either can't fix matchmaking or can't deal with AFK

i

And another MVP in opponent team being p2w, again with experience so low that can't even unlock Zephyr but running around with 

Dec 10, 2021, 06:0112/10/21
12/07/21

You're blaming a barely uneven match when one person on your team didn't even do anything this time.

Also would appreciate if you weren't ableist and cursing the devs.

Dec 10, 2021, 15:2812/10/21
11/09/21
Bbmech

You're blaming a barely uneven match when one person on your team didn't even do anything this time.

Barely uneven match? Wow then what's the "even" about 1200 lowest in my team vs 1500 lowest in opponent team? Even the BOT in my opponent team gets 4 kills while mine gets only 1 kill? And look properly their highest are 1996 and 1995 squad power while my team are 1881 and 1688 which is me, so I'm interested in your definition of "unfair" - but no worries, I've gone through those as well as in fighting whales that with 95% winrates and almost 3k squad power with less than 70k experience. 

Dec 10, 2021, 15:3012/10/21
11/09/21
Alina

Hi Alina, it's almost 2 months since you said that, Christmas is coming btw and the matchmaking is still such a trash 

Dec 10, 2021, 15:4012/10/21
11/09/21
Bbmech

i

i

How about this? Do you think it's fair to match this guy with me who can't even afford killshot 16? Imagine you met him in tournament match and he alone carried the whole team with this killshot?? I believe you know the cost to get this upgrade right? 

FYI : Killshot 16 requires 1875 Acoins and probably 24xx Acoins for killshot 20?