Motivation to keep playing?

9 Replies
Khahan
22 November, 2017, 1:43 AM UTC

So I'm at a crossroads that I figure many others must come to.  Whats the motivation to keep playing? My palace is level 22. I have enough of the various trees done that anything takes at least a week to complete so advancement is extremely slow. 

I'm surrounding by players with influence in the hundreds of millions and I'm working towards a whopping 30 million.  I'm trying to grind out various hero sets but the sporadic spawn rates of the specific invaders means this is also very slow and piecemeal.  I'm  hammering the saracens as hard as I can.  Even without any gear specifically to deal with invaders I can kill 2 at a time. I have my regen high enough that I can attack once, heal up to full and attack again and keep the bonus rolling.  Or I can blitz  2 level 1's down and sit for a while. Or I can almost take out a level 2.

I can't really hunt other towns.  There are simply too many that can crush me with the blink of an eye.  I can have a bit of fun being competitive with others around my size and influence but 1 single mis-step and I'm wiped out and rebuilding from scratch.

I can farm like nobody's business as I'm finally starting to pull in way more rss than I can use advancing knowledge and building. But thats because anything takes a week any more so there is just plenty of time.  I burn thru boosts like candy.

This is not to whine that the game is too hard/too sloo/too anything. I'm simply outlining where in the gameplay I am at and wondering how others in the same area stay motivated to keep logging in.
UTC +0:00
CIM
22 November, 2017, 3:06 AM UTC
Just wondering if you belong to a clan.  I played for 5 weeks without a clan so as to investigate them all and then picked a clan that I thought would work for me.  We aren't a huge clan but a very close knitted clan and we work together and have fun together ... so that is major motivator to keep playing.  Also being in a clan you can get good bonuses in clan events with lots of time boosts to help.  I do spend money on game ... average 20 euros a month so I do get hero energy and time boosts from that and I am good at rationing them so I don't go use them all immediately and that keeps me having those items in excess all the time which helps to keep me motivated.  I am level 24 and been playing about 8 months ... I am not yet fighting but I have my military.
UTC +1:00
Khahan
22 November, 2017, 3:33 AM UTC
CIM said:

Just wondering if you belong to a clan.  I played for 5 weeks without a clan so as to investigate them all and then picked a clan that I thought would work for me.  We aren't a huge clan but a very close knitted clan and we work together and have fun together ... so that is major motivator to keep playing.  Also being in a clan you can get good bonuses in clan events with lots of time boosts to help.  I do spend money on game ... average 20 euros a month so I do get hero energy and time boosts from that and I am good at rationing them so I don't go use them all immediately and that keeps me having those items in excess all the time which helps to keep me motivated.  I am level 24 and been playing about 8 months ... I am not yet fighting but I have my military.
Yep, in a clan.  We're small too, but growing. Working towards a stronghold so that helps give me a bit of motivation.  I'm on about 5 weeks and level 22. Its looking like forever to hit 23 and since my army is still growing.  Just seems like this huge gap in the action.
CIM
22 November, 2017, 4:16 AM UTC

Looks like I did something and the last part of my message was cut off ... "I have my military" knowledge at the point where I am about ready to start fighting ... but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I am wanting my knowledge at very high level.  I already finished up doing all my knowledge for attacking invaders.

Anyway I am taking it very slow ... not using the items I buy right away and well didn't use any for months, just bought and bought ... lol.  So it probably won't take you near as long as me to start fighting.
xyz
22 November, 2017, 6:27 PM UTC

There are ways to get the best out of bonuses and boosts, you should think about that before you burn them.

If you look at your stats  you  will see that your influence comes from many things,the only part which can be decreased is the influence that you get from the troops, some players have a lot of influence  because they spent their resources on troops, rather than infrastructure, if the troops die  so can their high influence. 

Sometimes growing too fast is a mistake.

I think one of the reasons it can get frustrating is because at the beginning, things turn over far faster,the player gets used to this, and then when it slows down,it seems like a drudge.

This is made worse if you have been indulgent with the packs, and assuming they are still on sale,find you need more and more of them, and the contents go no where anymore, or the prices are unaffordable. 

UTC +7:00
hunst67
22 November, 2017, 10:32 PM UTC

Inclined to agree with all the above. Gaming quickly loses its appeal once processes really slow down after L20 plus the constant tile hitting is becoming tiresome and simply restricts gameplay. Noticeable that it's same old nationalities that stoop to this.

Someone here was asking about how to self-destruct his town so that the jackals can't benefit. Have to say that if the option was there I'd take it and I suspect many others would too

CIM
23 November, 2017, 12:15 AM UTC
If someone is going to leave game they can destroy all their resource production places beforehand and then their town will not produce anything to be raided.
Khahan
23 November, 2017, 2:06 AM UTC

xyz said:

There are ways to get the best out of bonuses and boosts, you should think about that before you burn them.

If you look at your stats  you  will see that your influence comes from many things,the only part which can be decreased is the influence that you get from the troops, some players have a lot of influence  because they spent their resources on troops, rather than infrastructure, if the troops die  so can their high influence. 

Sometimes growing too fast is a mistake.

I think one of the reasons it can get frustrating is because at the beginning, things turn over far faster,the player gets used to this, and then when it slows down,it seems like a drudge.

This is made worse if you have been indulgent with the packs, and assuming they are still on sale,find you need more and more of them, and the contents go no where anymore, or the prices are unaffordable. 

It doesn't 'seem' like a drudge. It IS a drudge.  This coming from a gamer who played WoW and ground out every single  burning crusade rep including both aldor and scryers and enjoyed it and started the frost saber rep when it was 3 dailies that gave 25 rep each. I dont mind a grind as long as there is progress along the way.

One thing I'm confused about happened about 2 days ago. For the past 2 1/2 weeks haven't changed any building that would change my troop training except to level up a few manors.  I have 4 barracks of various levels and after leveling the last one the other week I could max out my level 1 troops to train in about 10hrs 20mins. I steadily increased my manor and crafted gear that helps speed up training. I got it to the point where I could train max # of troops in about 9hrs 48 mins.  Suddenly yesterday without any changes Its over 12 hours to train max troops:

1. my vip level is still in place

2. I have no added any extra barracks

3. I have not leveled any barracks

I understand there are some temporary bonuses like the event bonuses that can increase, but thats usually for 2 days and only 10 %.   I was holding steady at 9hrs48 mins for about 1 1/2 weeks and just over night 2hrs and 40mins got added to the time. This happened on both accounts where the training time jumped up significantly. Was this a change in gameplay?

CIM
23 November, 2017, 2:13 AM UTC
The bonuses for like training troops etc. are for one day ... they are "daily bonuses".  Did you do any knowledge upgrades that increase the number of troops your barracks can train, there are knowledge upgrades that do that ...
Big Chubby
26 November, 2017, 2:24 AM UTC

hunst67 said:

Inclined to agree with all the above. Gaming quickly loses its appeal once processes really slow down after L20 plus the constant tile hitting is becoming tiresome and simply restricts gameplay. Noticeable that it's same old nationalities that stoop to this.

Someone here was asking about how to self-destruct his town so that the jackals can't benefit. Have to say that if the option was there I'd take it and I suspect many others would too

YES!  

Finally someone addresses this.  I have been playing for almost 10 weeks and only lvl 16. I've been told to focus on building and not fighting but that seems so boring.  

The tile hits are the worst though.  In a game of war everyone hides behind shields then take shields off for a second to take an easy hit on someone looking for resources.  Every active player is under a shield!  and it's always someone with 10x+ the influence of mine that wants to tile hit me.  

I can't yield resources because i can't figure out how to properly protect myself.  even with the boosts.  one tile hit will put me back weeks of training.  And i can't buy domain guard.

I'm at the point where i question how this game is supposed to be played.  

I'm supposed to sit still and wait for resources or pay until I am at a high level. Then pick on players lower than me for additional influence?  

UTC +4:00
1780426 users registered; 48369 topics; 287238 posts; our newest member:curiously and t