Plarium has been sold

34 Replies
User
5 January, 2018, 5:37 AM UTC

Hello everybody,

Plarium was sold on August 10, 2017 for $ 500 million to Aristocrat, an Australian company, as you can see in this article:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-10-plarium-acquired-in-usd500-million-deal

How can a country choose to sell its biggest company ? Was terrorism stronger than the calm of the owners ? I have one important thing to tell them: "buy your company back, guys !..."

All these complex formulas that have been created should belong to the Ukrainians and the Israelis who created them. The future of the world may depend on it.

Numbers occupy a very important place in the Bible. I do not think it's a good idea for Israelis to sell the most digital game in the world.

What do you think of such a transaction ?

I need your help to spread my revolutionary works in social sciences: https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=78322083&f=276
UTC +1:00
User
5 January, 2018, 7:33 AM UTC

This is old news and been brought up several times before though. 

Please don't bring religion into this. Found a rather honest view on Plarium games too.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/plarium/

As for largest company? Lets take Israel @ http://www.transnationale.org/countries/isrs.php

Then a look at Ukraine @ http://www.transnationale.org/countries/ukrs.php

If you look at this post by Plarium @ https://plarium.com/en/mmo-games/trends-online-gaming-2017/ and then pay notice to the part of Online Gambling, and then look at what the new owners of Plarium does. Easy to draw conclusion for the future in regard of Plarium. And before you start about Stormfall isn't gambling, well some aspects of it is... Prize Draws, Gear box's. Anything you spend money on that give a random chance to get what you want, is gambling.

Here is a top 25 revenue list related to "gaming revenue" @http://www.alistdaily.com/digital/top-25-companies-of-2016-by-game-revenue/

https://www.superdataresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/SuperData-Top-10-Games-October-2017-1-1024x568.png

UTC +2:00
User
5 January, 2018, 10:16 AM UTC

Hello Gadheras,

I still think that the old owners of Plarium made a big mistake. Plarium was a pretty iconic society of Israel. Now, all they have left are pharmaceutical companies that do not find drugs.

I would like at least the Australians to know that.

Please don't bring religion into this.

Religion is a little related to all this, apart from me.

I need your help to spread my revolutionary works in social sciences: https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=78322083&f=276
User
5 January, 2018, 10:17 AM UTC

Inevitable. This is what the owners of the company set it up for.

Private company, always looking for the exit strategy, mega pay day. This is what virtually all entrepreneurs are looking to do. 

As to complex formula there is nothing complex in the game or the servers. This is common denominator technology that any coder could easily replicate. They just don't have the tens of millions behind them to pay for the advertising. The guys that ran Plarium had money/capital. So nothing of value has been lost by Israel or Ukraine.

Will a load of jobs more to Australia. Probably not, Australia doesn't have the supply or coders and the ones it does have would be way too expensive. Only a few senior management jobs will move and only in the long run.

Everyone has a right to an opinion. No one has a right to their opinion being respected by other if it can't be backed up with rational and logic explanation
UTC +0:00
User
5 January, 2018, 10:21 AM UTC

nothing of value has been lost by Israel or Ukraine

Hello Djmoody,

A super cool company with infinite potential has been lost by Israel and Ukraine.

Plus, it seems that you are right on one point, the losses are reasonable:

Plarium had no patent – it just developed good content, in particular four great games. The ones who put their money in it know that it [Plarium] can produce more and more hits. The game it developed four years ago is still making money

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/business/tech-roundup/1.806667

This is good news for video game players.

User
5 January, 2018, 10:29 AM UTC

djmoody said:

Inevitable. This is what the owners of the company set it up for.

Private company, always looking for the exit strategy, mega pay day. This is what virtually all entrepreneurs are looking to do. 

As to complex formula there is nothing complex in the game or the servers. This is common denominator technology that any coder could easily replicate. They just don't have the tens of millions behind them to pay for the advertising. The guys that ran Plarium had money/capital. So nothing of value has been lost by Israel or Ukraine.

Will a load of jobs more to Australia. Probably not, Australia doesn't have the supply or coders and the ones it does have would be way too expensive. Only a few senior management jobs will move and only in the long run.

That and at current time Plarium got offices other places than just Isreal and Ukraine. Coders, gfx artists and such doesn't need to work inhouse either at this day and age. Lot of "contract" work going on in this business too. Also the lore of Stormfall could be considered a rip-off from Dungeon & Dragons. Some of the arts could even be suspect to break copyright stuff with The Witcher series. 

Could probably google a bit and find out the actual license cost of flashplayer, but I suspect its rather minor. And it was picked for its simplicity. As for their "mobile tech" I got no idea (and not really interested either, as mobile stuff is pure cancer).

http://bigboxpcgamecollectors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/COjDyP-WsAA-Bwy.jpg

If you old enough to played these games back in the day. And mod/CM pls don't delete this post over this image, as this is games you cant even run anylonger unless you do it on some obscure emulator, first of these came on the c64 after all. A lot of the lore in Stormfall is almost carbon copy to things you can come across in these games. But, Plarium is not alone about play on this though, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls and so on have drawn inspiration as well from this. D&D is kinda like the "mother lore" of this type of fantasy on digital media. But D&D draw a lot of inspiration from like Jrr Tolkien, and him again inspiration from other works. 

Stormfall doesn't offer anything really unique, or offer anything exceptional. Medicore at best. But, because of the setting it is in, why it attract players to it, same as other plarium games attract players liking vikings etc. 

User
5 January, 2018, 11:07 AM UTC

Erwan said:

A super cool company with infinite potential has been lost by Israel and Ukraine.

If that is the level of your thinking you really shouldn't be making political statements. It's really dangerous.

Perhaps not here on this hardly read forum, but if you ran the same on twitter / facebook and got publicised many many people would react to the emotional content (because it is what they want to hear) and few would critically analyse, to determine that there is virtually zero intellectual content. 

So while with your other posts about the game I generally hold back on, this political one really deserves some closer scrutiny

How can a country choose to sell its biggest company?

1. Private individuals made the choice, the country, it's government or representatives did not

2. It's pretty laughable to think that Plarium is the biggest company in Isreal. Even a quick google search would have corrected you on that

Teva Pharmaceuticals, today's market cap as reported on Nasdeq website, just shy or $20bn. Check Point Software Industries, $17.5bn

Was terrorism stronger than the calm of the owners?

That is simply a false statement. What evidence have you to believe that terrorism was even the slightest factor in the sale?

The reality is this is a privately funded company whose investors will have been looking for an exit strategy from the moment they set up the company. They were always going to sell at some point. This is how entrepreneurs, VC's etc make their money. 

All these complex formulas

There is literally no propriety technology within Plarium what so ever.

It can't even be said they are on the cutting edge of server technology for gaming, given each version of the game has no more than a couple of thousand active users, who are in no way all online simultaneously.

Stormfall is an incredibly basic browser game.

The opposite of what you are saying is the truth, the flash technology the games are written is old tech that is about to become defunct. Without significant investment and rework these cames won't even run shortly.

The future of the world may depend on it.

Thank our lucky stars we don't have to worry about the world navigating:

- An unpredictable America (Trump)

- America's unsustainable trade defecit

- China's and America coming to blows while jockeying for control

- The destabalising effect of Brexit in the whole of Europe

- Destablisation of a Middle East reliant on petro-dollars, in the face of new and disruptive technology

- North Korea

- Public belief that captialism and gloablisation are failing them

just to name a few.

Numbers occupy a very important place in the Bible. 

OK - we just won't go there. it's bound to just go completely flamey if I do.

the most digital game in the world.

What does that even mean?

Wikipedia - "Digital usually refers to something using digits, particularly binary digits."

Everything in the computer realm is digital? It's such a weird characteristic to choose to stress as being in some way unique to Plarium or Stromfall.

All MMO's are stored on servers which ultimately stores our worlds in 0's and 1's, in binary, in digital. And they all interact with us over the internet in a series 0's and 1's binary communications.

In what way can Stormall be any more binary than any other MMO?

Everyone has a right to an opinion. No one has a right to their opinion being respected by other if it can't be backed up with rational and logic explanation
User
5 January, 2018, 11:11 AM UTC
djmoody said:

Erwan said:

If that is the level of your thinking you really shouldn't be making political statements. It's really dangerous.

Perhaps not here on this hardly read forum, but if you ran the same on twitter / facebook and got publicised many many people would react to the emotional content (because it is what they want to hear) and few would critically analyse, to determine that there is virtually zero intellectual content. 

So while with your other posts about the game I generally hold back on, this political one really deserves some closer scruitiny

its a bit like fanboy'ism...    
User
5 January, 2018, 11:13 AM UTC

if you ran the same on twitter / facebook and got publicised many many people would react to the emotional content (because it is what they want to hear) and few would critically analyse, to determine that there is virtually zero intellectual content

Ok ok, that's fine.

There is no "zero intellectual content" in my opinion. I think it's more of a pragmatic approach to the situation.

Djmoody, calm down please, commenting on each of my sentences in this way isn't polite. Please, don't.

Community Manager
5 January, 2018, 1:52 PM UTC

Hello, Lord Erwan.

Thanks for being so worried about the company and games :)

First o all, let's take away religion as it has nothing to do with it.

Secondly, the fact that Plarium was sold to Aristocrat didn't influence in any way the current games or the future games.

They're still developed and supported by the same teams as before.

Community Manager
User
8 January, 2018, 9:02 PM UTC
Oracle said:

Erwan said:

I really enjoy some of your statement and toturials, but most of your statement are extremely offensive and hugely dortative. Your statement about Israel and the position of plarium on the world stage is false.

You are either making this statements to cause discord in the forum,

Add my thought of her being a secret employee of plarium ?
Noodle maker extreme
User
9 January, 2018, 10:05 AM UTC
Erwan said:

Hello Oracle,

I do not think I'm offensive. I do my best to be an active pacifist, as Albert Einstein was. Speaking is a right, which should be respected, even if our emotions are visible. There is a right to have emotions, there is a right to feel with one's own feelings. The important thing is not to hurt others, and I think I am respectful of others.

Throwing out assumptions and opinions as facts, is what make some of what you say rather silly. 
User
9 January, 2018, 12:11 PM UTC

Hello Gadheras,

Please do not quote me right after I write.

User
9 January, 2018, 12:55 PM UTC

Erwan said:

Hello Gadheras,

wtf? It was over a hour later after you posted. Beside when you post anything on a forum such as this you can't really dictate who reply to your posts or not. Once you post you make yourself open to anyone to reply to whatever you post if they feel like it. My point made in the response still valid though. 
User
21 January, 2018, 2:05 AM UTC
Erwan said:

if you ran the same on twitter / facebook and got publicised many many people would react to the emotional content (because it is what they want to hear) and few would critically analyse, to determine that there is virtually zero intellectual content

Ok ok, that's fine.

There is no "zero intellectual content" in my opinion. I think it's more of a pragmatic approach to the situation.

Djmoody, calm down please, commenting on each of my sentences in this way isn't polite. Please, don't.

why not, Alina trolls everyone like that, and it seems to be allowed.   If you dont want your posts commented on, dont post  your opinions. 
User
21 January, 2018, 2:06 AM UTC
Erwan said:

Hello Gadheras,

I am very knowledgable on the rules of the forum. that is not in there. 
Community Manager
22 January, 2018, 12:32 PM UTC

IronApex Turok said:

Erwan said:

Ok ok, that's fine.

why not, Alina trolls everyone like that, and it seems to be allowed.   If you dont want your posts commented on, dont post  your opinions. 

If you have at least one example where I trolled anyone like that, you're welcome to send a complaint to Support team: https://plariumsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Note, it should be sent to Support team and not posted here according to the Forum Rules.

Community Manager
User
23 January, 2018, 9:52 AM UTC

to alina  only please 

in reading the sale of plarium  was it not  in contract that this game would be kept going for 3 years from point of  sale ????

if so then theres 2 years 5 months left  to run ?????

if im wrong then this could be shut down when ever the company feels free to ???
User
23 January, 2018, 11:35 AM UTC

Elle 75th Rangers said:

to alina  only please 

in reading the sale of plarium  was it not  in contract that this game would be kept going for 3 years from point of  sale ????

if im wrong then this could be shut down when ever the company feels free to ???

Doubt any such was in the contract. Also we yet to see any actual evidence of a life after flash for Stormfall, although there is a beta going with Sparta on a new engine of sorts. So possible get adopted to Stormfall too. Stormfall is being killed off for whole other reasons though. The business model is eating itself..
Community Manager
24 January, 2018, 10:56 AM UTC

Elle 75th Rangers said:

to alina  only please 

Hello.

We don't plan to shut down our games. 

Plus, as Lord GADHERAS said, we're running a beta test of the new game engine that will be used not only for Sparta but for all our browser games including Stormfall.

So, it's a good evidence of the fact that the information about games shut down is false :)

Community Manager
1906796 users registered; 60894 topics; 321349 posts; our newest member:gradinaro44