All Categories

R.I.P FLASHPLAYER 2020

R.I.P FLASHPLAYER 2020

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Jul 26, 2017, 10:0107/26/17
07/25/15

R.I.P FLASHPLAYER 2020

So what is Plariums plans for the future after 2020?

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html

Adobe has long played a leadership role in advancing interactivity and creative content – from video, to games and more – on the web. Where we’ve seen a need to push content and interactivity forward, we’ve innovated to meet those needs. Where a format didn’t exist, we invented one – such as with Flash and Shockwave. And over time, as the web evolved, these new formats were adopted by the community, in some cases formed the basis for open standards, and became an essential part of the web.

But as open standards like HTML5, WebGL and WebAssembly have matured over the past several years, most now provide many of the capabilities and functionalities that plugins pioneered and have become a viable alternative for content on the web. Over time, we’ve seen helper apps evolve to become plugins, and more recently, have seen many of these plugin capabilities get incorporated into open web standards. Today, most browser vendors are integrating capabilities once provided by plugins directly into browsers and deprecating plugins.

Given this progress, and in collaboration with several of our technology partners – including Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Mozilla – Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.

Several industries and businesses have been built around Flash technology – including gaming, education and video – and we remain committed to supporting Flash through 2020, as customers and partners put their migration plans into place. Adobe will continue to support Flash on a number of major OSs and browsers that currently support Flash content through the planned EOL. This will include issuing regular security patches, maintaining OS and browser compatibility and adding features and capabilities as needed. We remain fully committed to working with partners, including Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Mozilla to maintain the security and compatibility of Flash content. [To see each partner’s announcement on this news, click on the links inside each partner name.] In addition, we plan to move more aggressively to EOL Flash in certain geographies where unlicensed and outdated versions of Flash Player are being distributed.

Adobe will also remain at the forefront of leading the development of new web standards and actively participate in their advancement. This includes continuing to contribute to the HTML5 standard and participating in the WebAssembly Community Group. And we’ll continue to provide best in class animation and video tools such as Animate CC, the premier web animation tool for developing HTML5 content, and Premiere Pro CC.

Looking ahead, Adobe will continue to provide the best tools and services for designers and developers to create amazing content for the web.

Views
Comments
Comments
Jul 26, 2017, 14:3107/26/17
Jul 26, 2017, 14:48(edited)
10/31/14

You left some parts out, and that link of yours is 404. 

And 2020 is a very, very far away places. Plus did you play Throne, not sure if its a start, but it runs on HTML 5, or WebGL. I am not sure, as I haven't played the game. 

But anyways many things could happen before 2020. Flash could be replaced by another plugin, or Plarium could start coding their game into HTML 5 or... 

Jul 26, 2017, 15:0607/26/17
08/03/14

a moderator once banned for saying flash was going to be canned.  i believe i am owed an apology. 

and oracle, 2020 is not far away.  it is less far away than the start date for many of the veterans that have played this game.   

Jul 26, 2017, 16:2707/26/17
07/25/15
Oracle said:

You left some parts out, and that link of yours is 404. 

And 2020 is a very, very far away places. Plus did you play Throne, not sure if its a start, but it runs on HTML 5, or WebGL. I am not sure, as I haven't played the game. 

But anyways many things could happen before 2020. Flash could be replaced by another plugin, or Plarium could start coding their game into HTML 5 or... 

Well it would be nice to know, where we are heading, because why keep sink money into a doomtrain, just saying.
Jul 26, 2017, 20:5707/26/17
08/03/14
mobile. plarium leaderhip has already said they are going mobile.  no more browser games.
Jul 27, 2017, 08:5507/27/17
02/29/16

Hello.

We know about the situation with Adobe Flash player, and our development team is already working on improving the game engine. 

Also, we're not planning to close our browser games in the future :)

Jul 27, 2017, 11:5807/27/17
07/25/15

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello.

We know about the situation with Adobe Flash player, and our development team is already working on improving the game engine. 

Well, want to share some on that other than working on improve the game engine? Because improve on flash is beating a dead horse. So what transition will there be? Example, why should I spend any money on this game long term if there is a chance you have to start all over in a new game(engine) where current user data is not possible to transfer. 

Kinda like playing a game that made in RPGMaker and then one day the creators, uh we remade the game in Unity and your old saves not working anylonger, have fun start a new. 
Jul 27, 2017, 12:5407/27/17
10/31/14

Gadheras said:

Well, want to share some on that other than working on improve the game engine? Because improve on flash is beating a dead horse. So what transition will there be? Example, why should I spend any money on this game long term if there is a chance you have to start all over in a new game(engine) where current user data is not possible to transfer. 

Kinda like playing a game that made in RPGMaker and then one day the creators, uh we remade the game in Unity and your old saves not working anylonger, have fun start a new. 

Its possible to transfer the data, Like they did with Kabam. Not sure how much it will cost to format it in HTML 5.

It will also be possible to run the game after 2020, because there are other forms of softwares that can run flash images. 

It will also be possible to run the game( I am not sure of that) using adobe connect on a flash nonsupporting browser. 

Jul 27, 2017, 14:0407/27/17
07/25/15

Oracle said:

Gadheras said:

Its possible to transfer the data, Like they did with Kabam. Not sure how much it will cost to format it in HTML 5.

It will also be possible to run the game after 2020, because there are other forms of softwares that can run flash images. 

It will also be possible to run the game( I am not sure of that) using adobe connect on a flash nonsupporting browser. 

That is just stupid comparsion, because Kabam was running the same damn game. It was not like they were running the game on HTML5 was it? Would really want to hear from Plarium in the regard of sustain and carry over player data with changing to a new game engine.

BiohazarDModerator
Jul 27, 2017, 18:5807/27/17
10/04/13
djmoody said:

Oracle said:

Just to add some sense to this comment. 

They wouldn't transfer any data. What is needed is a new user interface from which players can interact with the database and servers. Change required is very much client side.

Roughly speaking they will port the old games to HTML 5 if the cost is less than the expected future profits and yields a return on investment that they find attractive comparable with the other opportunities the coding teams could be working on.
The cost would be pretty low. A competent team could probably do it in less than a week, since they wouldn't need new graphics and would just be translating the existing code to a new language.  So I don't see them shutting their games down just because of that.  
Jul 28, 2017, 08:5307/28/17
02/29/16

roadstar Pitbull said:

BiohazarD said:

djmoody said:

Just to add some sense to this comment. 

They wouldn't transfer any data. What is needed is a new user interface from which players can interact with the database and servers. Change required is very much client side.

Roughly speaking they will port the old games to HTML 5 if the cost is less than the expected future profits and yields a return on investment that they find attractive comparable with the other opportunities the coding teams could be working on.
The cost would be pretty low. A competent team could probably do it in less than a week, since they wouldn't need new graphics and would just be translating the existing code to a new language.  So I don't see them shutting their games down just because of that.  

Both have you have brought up a very issue with plarium.

DJ, how many 'teams' does require to change graphics and  unit stat numbers. If they have 2 teams they are paying both way too much. As all game are running the same base template.

Bio, a 'competent' team would also be able to: 1, add content without so many bugs, 2. just maybe stop the 'master' accounting.

Plarium has show neither ability or capability of doing either.

Adobe is working on their own alternatives, stand alones and a browser style program. Not so much for their own benefit, but for incompetent companies as such that will pay for a work around from a professional company, not a bunch of hacks in the back room.

Hello.

Players' progress in the game won't be lost with the update of the game engine. 

> 1 add content without so many bugs

Before every update, each feature is thoroughly tested by our QA team. Unfortunately, not always everything works as expected and some bugs still may appear. But our devs are working on them and trying to get them fixed as soon as possible.

> 2. just maybe stop the 'master' accounting.

The accounts that are reported to our Support Team are getting blocked. Also, we run automatic check for alternative accounts regularly, and during this check such accounts are blocked as well.

Jul 30, 2017, 22:5607/30/17
08/03/14

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello.

your CEO Avi Shalel has already stated that the company will be transitioning to mobile. He also stated that the life term of his browser based games were shortened and financial recovery methods in game were sped up to accomodate the shorter life spans of browser based games. 

you may look through the archives and retrieve my deleted posts for links and references.   i wou ld post them but i already have provided the info once only to have a community manager delete them. 
Jul 31, 2017, 04:0707/31/17
07/25/15
IronApex Turok said:

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello.

your CEO Avi Shalel has already stated that the company will be transitioning to mobile. He also stated that the life term of his browser based games were shortened and financial recovery methods in game were sped up to accomodate the shorter life spans of browser based games. 

you may look through the archives and retrieve my deleted posts for links and references.   i wou ld post them but i already have provided the info once only to have a community manager delete them. 
I guess the league chests and such is a result of this financial recovery speed up. Then again, I think the actual cost of the Plarium browser games been covered a few times over by now. 
Jul 31, 2017, 09:2707/31/17
02/29/16

IronApex Turok said:

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello.

Hello.

Nowadays many companies are changing their priorities, and focus their attention on mobile games.

For us all our platforms (browser, mobile and social) are important, and we're keeping the balance between their development and support.

It means that we're not planning to close either of them :) 

Jul 31, 2017, 13:4507/31/17
08/03/14
Alina Phoenix said:

IronApex Turok said:

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello.

Hello.

Nowadays many companies are changing their priorities, and focus their attention on mobile games.

For us all our platforms (browser, mobile and social) are important, and we're keeping the balance between their development and support.

when can we expect a transfer to html5?
Aug 1, 2017, 08:1108/01/17
02/29/16

IronApex Turok said:

Alina Phoenix said:

IronApex Turok said:

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello.

Hello.

Hello.

I don't have ETA at the moment. Please be patient, devs are working on it :) 
Aug 1, 2017, 09:2708/01/17
07/25/15
Alina Phoenix said:

IronApex Turok said:

Alina Phoenix said:

IronApex Turok said:

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello.

Hello.

Hello.

I think what most want is a insurance to one day log on and see there will be a "end date" of the game, due to flash isn't supported anylonger. And that our leagues, player data, assetts and so on will carry over with a new engine whatever it will be. 
Aug 2, 2017, 08:1308/02/17
02/29/16

Gadheras said:

Alina Phoenix said:

IronApex Turok said:

Alina Phoenix said:

IronApex Turok said:

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello.

Hello.

Hello.

I think what most want is a insurance to one day log on and see there will be a "end date" of the game, due to flash isn't supported anylonger. And that our leagues, player data, assetts and so on will carry over with a new engine whatever it will be. 

Hello :) 

I can confirm that we're not planning to close the games because Flash will not be supported in the future.

Also, your progress, Leagues, achievements and other data will not be lost.

Aug 2, 2017, 21:0208/02/17
08/03/14

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello.

this is not acceptable at all. we spend money on this game.  and plarium has a record of being slow to resolve problems. They have two years to get things right at best.  given their history, i dont see that as enough time.

i need more garauntees that im not gonna feed a few hundred bucks into this game one day only to refresh my browers to a "plug in not supported" message.

Plarium has already had a year to figure out how to migrate to HTML5.  we discused this last year and everyone said not to worry, flash isnt dying. 

well, you failed in that answer. now  your telling us not to worry again. 

give me better answers if you want my money.

Aug 3, 2017, 08:0208/03/17
10/31/14

IronApex Turok said:

this is not acceptable at all. we spend money on this game.  and plarium has a record of being slow to resolve problems. They have two years to get things right at best.  given their history, i dont see that as enough time.

i need more garauntees that im not gonna feed a few hundred bucks into this game one day only to refresh my browers to a "plug in not supported" message.

Plarium has already had a year to figure out how to migrate to HTML5.  we discused this last year and everyone said not to worry, flash isnt dying. 

The migration to HTML5 is a small project an can be carried out in small chunks over a period of years. Such a project if it was to be carried out by a big company like Plarium will not likely take a month. Is best for Plarium to divert all the resources available now into the actual game fighting bugs( There are less global bugs now) and creating more features. 

Coding an HTML4 page into HTML5 can take 1 website designer/coder/developer a period of less than a week. Plarium is aware of these issue, and they won't be putting so much energy in these game if they are just going to kill it one day. We had so many features these year alone than we had last year 

Aug 3, 2017, 08:3708/03/17
02/29/16

IronApex Turok said:

Alina Phoenix said:

Hello.

Hello.

For now, I can give you a guarantee that our devs are working on the game engine, and we don't plan to close browser games. 

We couldn't influence or predict somehow a year ago that in 2020 Flash player won't be supported anymore.

Still, as soon as we got this news, we started to work on the game engine that will allow our game work without Flash player.

The topic is locked. You cannot post comments.