All Categories

Sieges.

Sieges.

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Dec 31, 2017, 07:5512/31/17
07/25/15

Sieges.

Why is sieges and attack on fortified positions in this game so silly Plarium? If we look at the setting, this is what people kinda have in mind with a siege, or assault on a fortified position.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/d9/ac/a3/d9aca3a6a2ddcf4ae0cc478e0e4f41b0--medieval-weapons-documentary.jpg

Our castles can have balistas and catapults, but somehow atackers scale the walls climbing thin air?

Even heavy fortified positions such as league fortress's and becons, need no added siege machines to hit. Maybe this is another layer you should add to the game, maybe it could help fix the current becon situation. 

Views
Comments
Comments
Dec 31, 2017, 08:5912/31/17
08/03/14

i played a long defunct game called Lords Online.  and the siege engines we built, artillery etc worked.  during the Turn Based PvP we could use our arts and catapults to bring down the levels of the walls on the castles were were attacking.  they were like the weor here. knocked down during an attack and rebuilt. 

of course, to rebuild the walls you had to grind it out, not buy it back. Plarium would probably make you buy the walls back. 
Dec 31, 2017, 09:0012/31/17
08/03/14

also, in that game, if you sieged a castle, it was yours.  You could take over the castles of other players, except for their main caslte.  you could hold up to 6 fiefs, and you went into those castles just like you went into your main and could make troops and resources or upgrade buildings. 

Dec 31, 2017, 09:2712/31/17
07/25/15

Imho, a siege should last for several turns, where the defenders would do damage to the atackers with little loss's, but once the breach is made defence bonus should go done. Also, during a siege, the defenders should get the option to sally forth and attack the attacker. Kinda the way you break a siege on a regular castle. 
Jan 1, 2018, 09:4301/01/18
08/31/15

IronApex Turok said:

also, in that game, if you sieged a castle, it was yours.  You could take over the castles of other players, except for their main caslte.  you could hold up to 6 fiefs, and you went into those castles just like you went into your main and could make troops and resources or upgrade buildings. 

It would be interesting to see that mechanic here, but technically, every castle is a player castle.  They'd have to create NPC castles to conquer or have a process to convert abandoned castles to NPC castles that could be used as you describe.  

BiohazarDModerator
Jan 1, 2018, 11:3401/01/18
10/04/13
Gadheras said:

Why is sieges and attack on fortified positions in this game so silly Plarium? If we look at the setting, this is what people kinda have in mind with a siege, or assault on a fortified position.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/d9/ac/a3/d9aca3a6a2ddcf4ae0cc478e0e4f41b0--medieval-weapons-documentary.jpg

Our castles can have balistas and catapults, but somehow atackers scale the walls climbing thin air?

Even heavy fortified positions such as league fortress's and becons, need no added siege machines to hit. Maybe this is another layer you should add to the game, maybe it could help fix the current becon situation. 

You know dragons can fly, right?  So they can just go right over the walls.  
Jan 1, 2018, 11:3701/01/18
07/25/15
BiohazarD said:

Gadheras said:

And when no dragons or "flying" monsters is used? Look at dragons as air plains, and any ranged units, balistas and such as anti air... it doesn't make sense. If you look at the attack on the white city in LOTR, flying "monsters" wasnt enough, siege engines involved there too.
BiohazarDModerator
Jan 1, 2018, 11:5501/01/18
10/04/13

Gadheras said:

BiohazarD said:

Gadheras said:

And when no dragons or "flying" monsters is used? Look at dragons as air plains, and any ranged units, balistas and such as anti air... it doesn't make sense. If you look at the attack on the white city in LOTR, flying "monsters" wasnt enough, siege engines involved there too.

I suppose plarium could make the combat mechanics more complicated and realistic, but it might have some negative effects on gameplay.  

For one, a realistic model of opposing forces would follow Lanchester's square law, which says that the casualty rates when two armies fight are based on the square of the size of each army.  This would mean that if you sent a 1mil army against a 3 mil army, you'd lose about 9x as much as the other guy.  

I have seen some games before that follow this model (Evony comes to mind as an example, although it uses a salvo model where each individual unit is represented but all units of the same type fire at once).  This type of model can be exploited in different ways, but it does make for interesting combat strategy.  However, it would take a lot of changes to the game in order to switch to this type of model without messing everything else up.  
MariusAdmin
Jan 2, 2018, 12:4301/02/18
09/04/17
We have no plans of changing siege mechanics for the time being, they are an integral part of the game and adjusting them would require further changes. While the battles are not visualized, you can be certain that your troops build different engines of war during a siege and put them to good use rather than just scale the walls, it simply remains in the background so to speak. We will not be adding specific units that would be required to start a siege or raid a Castle.
Jan 2, 2018, 12:5701/02/18
07/25/15
Dimitri Molchanov said:

We have no plans of changing siege mechanics for the time being, they are an integral part of the game and adjusting them would require further changes. While the battles are not visualized, you can be certain that your troops build different engines of war during a siege and put them to good use rather than just scale the walls, it simply remains in the background so to speak. We will not be adding specific units that would be required to start a siege or raid a Castle.
Well if there is actual work on migrate to another engine. Then there would be room to revise game mechanics at the same time imho. 
BiohazarDModerator
Jan 3, 2018, 02:1501/03/18
10/04/13
Gadheras said:

Dimitri Molchanov said:

Well if there is actual work on migrate to another engine. Then there would be room to revise game mechanics at the same time imho. 
Nah changes to the combat mechanics would be a completely separate project.  Porting to a new language or platform is the worst possible time to make other changes to your program, as things tend to get broken :P
Jan 3, 2018, 04:5901/03/18
07/25/15

BiohazarD said:

Gadheras said:

Dimitri Molchanov said:

Nah changes to the combat mechanics would be a completely separate project.  Porting to a new language or platform is the worst possible time to make other changes to your program, as things tend to get broken :P

I could mention several games by name that did quite drastic changes to game mechanics by migrating to either a new engine or a upgrade of current engine. Sometimes when changing platform, migrating etc, just try to transfer old legacy code become to cumbersome, so a rewrite is required. Also, if you using two (or several)  different code languages/script languages, its not just to blue copy over to a new engine.

I could give examples of games, but knowing how Plarium feel about mention other games on this forum I wont -)

Jan 3, 2018, 14:0701/03/18
02/29/16
Gadheras said:

Dimitri Molchanov said:

I know that graphics is planned to be improved as well during the engine update. But the mechanics itself won't be changed.
BiohazarDModerator
Jan 4, 2018, 05:1901/04/18
10/04/13
Alina Phoenix said:

Gadheras said:

Dimitri Molchanov said:

I know that graphics is planned to be improved as well during the engine update. But the mechanics itself won't be changed.
Hopefully any improvements to the graphics won't increase loading times, my computer already struggles to load some castles :(
Jan 4, 2018, 05:3201/04/18
07/25/15
BiohazarD said:

Alina Phoenix said:

Gadheras said:

Dimitri Molchanov said:

Hopefully any improvements to the graphics won't increase loading times, my computer already struggles to load some castles :(
Thats due to the nature of flash player and possible butcher code :p There is no reason why Stormfall should pull more strain on my comp than like what ESO does either, but it do. 
Jan 4, 2018, 12:3601/04/18
02/29/16
BiohazarD said:

Alina Phoenix said:

Gadheras said:

Dimitri Molchanov said:

One of the main goals of the engine improvement is to decrease the loading time :)
Jan 7, 2018, 12:0501/07/18
05/12/15

I find it odd that a Besieged Player can actually Launch an attack on another player, Before Breaking their own Besiege.

How do the Besieged Castles Troops get out of the Besieged Castle?

A Besieged Castle should need to Break the siege Before Launching any attack on 

Any Flef or Players Castle.

BiohazarDModerator
Jan 7, 2018, 12:1501/07/18
10/04/13
hugh said:

I find it odd that a Besieged Player can actually Launch an attack on another player, Before Breaking their own Besiege.

How do the Besieged Castles Troops get out of the Besieged Castle?

A Besieged Castle should need to Break the siege Before Launching any attack on 

Any Flef or Players Castle.

Some castles had secret underground passages so that people could sneak out if the castle was surrounded by enemies, so maybe it's something like that.  
BiohazarDModerator
Jan 7, 2018, 12:1501/07/18
10/04/13
Alina Phoenix said:

BiohazarD said:

Alina Phoenix said:

Gadheras said:

Dimitri Molchanov said:

One of the main goals of the engine improvement is to decrease the loading time :)
Excellent, that's good to hear.  
The topic is locked. You cannot post comments.