Is Raiding a Thing of the Past?

40 Replies
djmoody
29 July, 2017, 2:29 AM UTC

With the new update of league chests providing a significant volume of free resources do you think raiding is going to become a thing of the past?

And if you do then do you think that is a good thing or a bad thing?

If you don't are you concerned about game balance where super coining leagues will not have to raid for resource any more but 'ordinary' league still might have to.
Everyone has a right to an opinion. No one has a right to their opinion being respected by other if it can't be backed up with rational and logic explanation
UTC +0:00
Oracle
29 July, 2017, 7:15 AM UTC

Your first question is heavily influencing the outcome of answers you will get in preceding questions. 

It depend on what is your primary needs. If you raid for the rankings, then you might continue raiding. IF your primary reason to raid is to build troops, then you might raid, but not with the same intensity as before. 

I only raid once or twice a week, and rarely boost. I get most of my resources from the bank. 

I am not sure how these will affect balance. But probably. You also hav to note that heavy coining leagues, are more active. They raid with greater intensity compared to other leagues. These is because there is greater competition in heavy coining leagues. 

Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction.....Gedleyihlekisa: Oracle the postremogeniture
UTC +2:00
Juglar del Viento
29 July, 2017, 9:54 AM UTC

On my personal view i think when u have a level and ur productions building are at certain level raiding is not so needed

also depends how is ur food production if u have to raid only to get food

talking about me i only raid when personal quest ask for it

about the league chest, also depends if u are in a league in which people spend or not, on mine i think i have received only one since the new feature however my office mate receive all days at least 5 or 6 chest in the same period. So...

Regards
Resistance Is Futile
UTC +1:00
Variety Jones
29 July, 2017, 10:14 AM UTC

I can just speak from the perspective of being in Anarchy, in which you receive so many chests, that honestly, you don't really need to raid IF you log in daily and collect the chest before they expire.

As a previous poster stated, I also only raid now if I have a daily quest to do, that requires it.

The amount of resources being gained from these chests are random at best, so it will vary, but from what I have seen within my league, you don't really need to raid anymore, as long as you continue to have a solid base of coiners within your ranks.
djmoody
30 July, 2017, 10:42 AM UTC

There is my build queue. Approx 4 days full atm.

The league I am in is probably known as one of the least major coining of the major leagues (you can get a bit of a guage from league knowledge progress).

I suspected therefore that most players would have no need to raid anymore, your comments have helped to confirm that is the case in other leagues as well.

So the question is more now, is that a bad thing.

Troop production used to be determined by your willingness to grind raids. The more effort you put in, the more troops you had. Breaking that gameplay balance would seem initially to be a bad thing.

Clearly though the vast majority of the troops in the last couple of years are bought and not earned. Against that background this update is probably a balance leveller so that neither coiners or active players no longer need to invest 1/2yrs a day in raiding. With that in mind, the update is very good, the only update in forever that closes the gap between coiners and non-coiners/modest coiners.

I am sure some who have levelled resource production buildings with bought scrolls will feel a little cheated now that there investment has been rendered pointless. In the wider context of game balance it's probably nothing to be sorry about that some coining only advantages are removed

On another side removing the need to raid for troop production removes several elements of skill from the game. It took some thought to work out how to build up a decent raiding list. Many never managed it. And it took knowledge of game mechanics to understand how to boost the value of the troop production queues by 50% by interacting successfully with BG's.

Both those elements which rewarded knowledge, skill and experience are now gone. And there are not that many areas left where "good" players can differentiate themselves from "worse" ones. On that front the update is bad.

Would be interesting to see how others weight all those elements together.

For me personally, emotionally I regret the loss of the need to raid. It was one of the rights of passage that all (except the biggest coiners) went through. Building your army through hard work, building up a raiding list was all part of the journey and nearly all of us shared it. Also I will also mourn the loss of elements of game play where skill, knowledge and experience can make a difference.

But I think the reality is that raiding was a art that was falling out of the game anyway, the majority or army power being coined. Non-coiners won't not having to graft for armies is game balance enhancing. I feel this upside outweights the downsides and makes this a good update.

A "good" update out of "bad intentions" I might add, but a net "good" update.

It's probably worth noting this makes the final move to a casual game PvP game. Troops appear at minimal effort, either simply bought or produced by logging in for 5 mins a day to claim resources from boxes. The 3 pillars of gameplay, raiding, BG's, PvP reduced now to just PvP. I am not going to offer an opinion on whether that is good or bad, it's just different (as someone who has only a casual interest in the game it's probably a good thing for me).

Everyone has a right to an opinion. No one has a right to their opinion being respected by other if it can't be backed up with rational and logic explanation
ETsphere
31 July, 2017, 3:54 PM UTC

Vary good question DJ.  

I bleave the question is bit to soon to come to a conclusion.

Leagues with High Morale and Raid for 2.5-4 mill resources average  each week will still compete for the top 20 leagues of the server; even with modest coining. Yes your correct thy will still take advantage of the resources rewards but wont have as many to play with compared to the top 6-8 coining leagues.

I have none Coiners that have ques for troop production for 45+ days. 

Now as for Coiners and older players on the down swing of the product life cycle of the game. This is exactly what will make them happy for the next few months of there final days playing stormfall.  

Jezebel
31 July, 2017, 6:20 PM UTC

i raid less because i am just lazy after over 2 years of raiding daily as many raids as I could - my builds are backlogged for 3-4 months so there is no real NEED to raid unless I have a lost art to upgrade

and yes my league is small so the number of "chests" that we receive is far lower than those of the big coining leagues another thing that Plarium sees as a bonus for all only benefits the hugely coined leagues that open 50+ chests per day so yup one more thing that makes it harder for us small guys to compete
Juglar del Viento
31 July, 2017, 7:04 PM UTC

Dear Lords

and reached this point with all this deductions...

what do u think what could be done to make you to raid again as old days ???

Regards
Resistance Is Futile
UTC +1:00
Limad
31 July, 2017, 8:00 PM UTC
Juglar del Viento said:

Dear Lords

Regards
It always comes down to build times vs sapphs. Jezebel gave the perfect example of that. Raid effectively and get punished by build times and then having no real control over your queues unless you use sapphs. 
Hola!
UTC -12:00
djmoody
31 July, 2017, 11:11 PM UTC

Juglar del Viento said:

Dear Lords

Regards

How about a system similar to Wisdom that gives you offence / defence and other bonuses.

Possible make it some kind of random loot drop from raiding. Collect x number of drops and cash them in for a bonus of your choice. Maybe make the % chance of a drop increase as your raided loot tends to 100k (to ensure people do real raids not just spam raid 10 local wooden castles to cheat the system).

Another idea would be to increase the speed of thieves. Would decrease the time needed to grind through your daily raids.

And as per the posters above provide some bonus to effective raiding. Maybe allow people to swap resource for speed up on the queues. Donate 100k resource acts like a x hr boost? Or you could make my loot suggest drop troop queue boosts (possible even remove the ability to boost with bought items and only with the raid drop items).

Jezebel
1 August, 2017, 2:10 AM UTC
djmoody said:

Juglar del Viento said:

Dear Lords

Regards

How about a system similar to Wisdom that gives you offence / defence and other bonuses.

Possible make it some kind of random loot drop from raiding. Collect x number of drops and cash them in for a bonus of your choice. Maybe make the % chance of a drop increase as your raided loot tends to 100k (to ensure people do real raids not just spam raid 10 local wooden castles to cheat the system).

Another idea would be to increase the speed of thieves. Would decrease the time needed to grind through your daily raids.

And as per the posters above provide some bonus to effective raiding. Maybe allow people to swap resource for speed up on the queues. Donate 100k resource acts like a x hr boost? Or you could make my loot suggest drop troop queue boosts (possible even remove the ability to boost with bought items and only with the raid drop items).

I like it I would probably raid daily again if we had an incentive to do it - THIS bonus would be something that would benefit even the smallest players and encourage them to raid and improve rather than do the minimal to scrape by - increasing the speed of spies would help also some of my farms are over an hour for my spies to go out to
Stewart
1 August, 2017, 6:21 AM UTC

Never really thought about this one.

I do raid all my raids every day, And i also have townhouses and mines that can support my troop builds without raiding, not just for a day but forever.

Im not good at foreseeing, but i think that after i use up my last 230 days of universal boosts i will only raid for food.

More time for annoying people and less for the game supporting activities.

..edit..

I forgot. Yes i also get enough from chests to pay for my troop building. As well as many troops, speedups and legondaries.
Noodle maker extreme
Oracle
1 August, 2017, 9:02 AM UTC

Juglar del Viento said:

Dear Lords

Regards

It's simply. 

Introduce a BG kind of a raid. All castles that become inactive for more than 6 months are transformed to these '' Raiding ground''. A player who successfully raid that castle will get X% of unit back from the castle catacombs + resources. Those castle also act as a fortress of sort. Whoever conquers them receive resources (around 10K-100K per hour), plus units (defense (5-10K per hour). 

So every player who goes inactive for more than 6 months, has is castle turned into these farm like ''raiding resources''. 

There are many players 6 feet under with 1 billion army just itching for battle in the catacombs. And many lords( like me) could use those armies for ''good cause''.
Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction.....Gedleyihlekisa: Oracle the postremogeniture
UTC +2:00
Jezebel
1 August, 2017, 2:09 PM UTC
Oracle said:

Juglar del Viento said:

Dear Lords

Regards

It's simply. 

Introduce a BG kind of a raid. All castles that become inactive for more than 6 months are transformed to these '' Raiding ground''. A player who successfully raid that castle will get X% of unit back from the castle catacombs + resources. Those castle also act as a fortress of sort. Whoever conquers them receive resources (around 10K-100K per hour), plus units (defense (5-10K per hour). 

So every player who goes inactive for more than 6 months, has is castle turned into these farm like ''raiding resources''. 

There are many players 6 feet under with 1 billion army just itching for battle in the catacombs. And many lords( like me) could use those armies for ''good cause''.
so create safe PVP havens for the people who want to play a war game without actually playing a war game?
roadstar Pitbull
1 August, 2017, 10:59 PM UTC
>>>>
Knightmare
2 August, 2017, 2:25 AM UTC

I don't know, I try to raid daily, its free stuff and easy to do. 

I cant see it dying off anytime soon for the majority.
Nug Life !
UTC +7:00
brunsonthomas
2 August, 2017, 4:41 PM UTC
Knightmare said:

I don't know, I try to raid daily, its free stuff and easy to do. 

I cant see it dying off anytime soon for the majority.

The only thing I will add is remember to spy first. Raiding blind may result in PVP for someone else and lost troops for you.
UTC +5:00
BiohazarD
4 August, 2017, 5:47 AM UTC
djmoody said:

With the new update of league chests providing a significant volume of free resources do you think raiding is going to become a thing of the past?

And if you do then do you think that is a good thing or a bad thing?

If you don't are you concerned about game balance where super coining leagues will not have to raid for resource any more but 'ordinary' league still might have to.
Only for people in certain big coining leagues.  The rest of us mere mortals will still have to raid for most of our resources.  It's not great, but I don't think it's likely to go away anytime soon.  
BiohazarD
4 August, 2017, 5:49 AM UTC
roadstar Pitbull said:

First, to improve "gameplay", forget the fireball protection and,,,,, wait for it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, REMOVE FIREBALLS ALL TOGETHER...
But then how can I kill peoples entire armies with zero risk to myself and without giving them any points in return? :P
IronApex Turok
4 August, 2017, 5:36 PM UTC
stormfall is a thing of the past.
1720387 users registered; 42405 topics; 270659 posts; our newest member:ana.marinescu