All Categories

A proverb from an old merchant

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Nov 21, 2016, 13:1611/21/16
01/12/15

I used to know an old merchant who likes to talk about many things. And after reading djmoody's post on marketing strategy (I can't find it now lol) it reminds me on what he used to say, looked on it on google and can't find it. So maybe he made it up lol

'A thousand gold from a thousand men worth more than a thousand gold from one man'

What I remember from his words: When there are a thousand people spend one gold each on you and 1 of them leave you still have the other 999, however if only 1 person spend 1000 thousand gold on you and he leaves you're left with nothing. Another thing if lots of people are shopping from you words of your shop will spread and a crowded store is much more interesting for others than an empty store, people will think 'oh there might be something good there'.

And he ends it with 'of course if there are a thousand people buying from you and spend a thousand gold each that's even better lol'

So just wanna ask, did he made this saying himself or there is some source?

Views
Comments
Comments
Nov 21, 2016, 14:5611/21/16
07/25/15

Sifr said:

I used to know an old merchant who likes to talk about many things. And after reading djmoody's post on marketing strategy (I can't find it now lol) it reminds me on what he used to say, looked on it on google and can't find it. So maybe he made it up lol

'A thousand gold from a thousand men worth more than a thousand gold from one man'

What I remember from his words: When there are a thousand people spend one gold each on you and 1 of them leave you still have the other 999, however if only 1 person spend 1000 thousand gold on you and he leaves you're left with nothing. Another thing if lots of people are shopping from you words of your shop will spread and a crowded store is much more interesting for others than an empty store, people will think 'oh there might be something good there'.

And he ends it with 'of course if there are a thousand people buying from you and spend a thousand gold each that's even better lol'

So just wanna ask, did he made this saying himself or there is some source?

Regardless its a concept foreign to Plarium :p

Nov 29, 2016, 01:3211/29/16
08/03/14

not only that,

if that one person who spends $1000 tells four people, you have five customers.

if those five tell four more, you have twenty customers. not all will be $1000 customers. 

if those thousand people that spend $1 tell 4 people you have four thousand customers. 

if those 4 thousand tell 4 more, you twelve thousand customers. the potential for all to be $1 customers is very high. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I work in a bar, selling $1 beers to  500 people a night.   we make our money off of the $8 drinks they buy after those $1 beers. 

i know this concept very well.