The War to Date

33 Replies
djmoody
19 September, 2016, 4:00 PM UTC

First up I think we need a name for this war. Would appreciate any ideas people have.

Secondly please DO NOT TROLL or FLAME this thread. This isn't a propaganda thread. I just thought it would be a lot more interesting to the neutral observers if there was some reasonably unbiased information about what was going on rather than the endless propaganda flame war posts.

Quick word about why I think I am qualified to write this post:

- I probably have one of the best insights into current events.

- As a key member of Coraltion/UC I have perfect knowledge of their side of things

- I have pretty open and honest chats with Shin quite regularly about Emps side. I think Shin will tell you I have invested more time and effort than anyone to understand his side of things.

With that in mind I will begin (and I will keep adding more posts each week).

(PS this post will be long. You will want some interest in the meta game / politics to get through and enjoy it.)

Everyone has a right to an opinion. No one has a right to their opinion being respected by other if it can't be backed up with rational and logic explanation
UTC +0:00
djmoody
19 September, 2016, 4:00 PM UTC

The Beginning: Relations Sour

It's worth starting with a little history to explore how these two great power blocks came to be at odds with each other.

Shin has posted a long explanation of his perspective. I believe it is a pretty honest report of his perception of things. Shin and myself have talked about his post and I have explained a number of places where his perception has been clouded or possibly manipulated.

I have explained where things went down differently in my perception in this post:

http://legendsofstormfall.com/KoK/shin_response.htm

It's a long read. So the downlow for you (which in it's self isn't short):

A mutually beneficial plan was agreed between Unforgivens and Coraltion. It went as follows (and I know this first hand as it was Venom and myself that first discussed it):

- Coralition would help Emps take 5 beacons in the SW corner (which for a month had laid unclaimed by any major leagues, after Romania had failed to advance). Emps would become a major edge beacon league

- Emps would move from the NE corner of the map removing the tension of buffetting for space between Elite and Destiny

- KoC would probably take the evacuated edge beacon of Emps and the other inside beacons. This would get them away from the NW corner where they had had continuing border issues with Knights going back to the KT wars.

- For the other members of Coralition the venture offered the opportunity to build a relationship with Unforgivens, who were emerging as the 3rd power block in the game. At the time there claimed to be neutral but had embassy status with KT but none with Unforgiven

Unfortunately the deal was never completed. The story to which was one of mistrust, paranoia and a failure to understand each other. I have to take part of the blame for that - having set the plan in motion I left it to others to execute.

Shin's perception was that KT and Coralition were virtually in a state of war, they weren't realtionships had significant improved with the exit of Friction from the game. Shin was concerned that Coraltion's aim was to cause tension between himself and KT & allies. A pawn in a cold war between the two power blocks. Unknown to Shin, Coralition had cleared the move to the SW activity with KT. 

After the first corner beacon was taken by join forces of Coraltion and Emps, Shin was informed that Coralition were preparing attacks in Knights in the NW corner. Where the info came from is still a mystery but it was incorrect.

Concerned he was being played Shin refused to ally with Coraltion and when offered an alternative plan of doing 1 for 1 swaps between the NE and the SW he refused that also. With his trust strained. He wanted to gain everything promised before offering anything in return.

Unfortunately to the Coralition members these actions looked hugely suspicious. It was simply unacceptable to give all their assistance before getting anything in return. To top off the distrust Shin was refusing to acknowledge to his league the part Coralition was playing in softening the beacons that Emps were taking.

The agreement reached and impass. Trust betwen Shin and Test (lead diplo for Coralition) plummeted. The relationship became very cold. The rest of the Coralation came to think that Shin had played them.

The deal fell apart. Emps took the SW beacons by themselves and then utlimately gave them to KT. At that point Coralition believed it had been played by an enemy, while Shin felt Coralition had tried to manipulate him into bad feeling with KT, who he build an ever closer relaltionship with.

In fact both parties had probably been honest in their intentions but mistrust had led their fledgling relationship to fail.

Destiny and Emps would go onto clash in the NW corner beacon spawn and in the NE beacons that Emps never moved out of and the problems between them would escalate.... but the above is where the two sides came apart. A plan to build relationships and solve tensions had ended the parties at each others throats.

Everyone has a right to an opinion. No one has a right to their opinion being respected by other if it can't be backed up with rational and logic explanation
djmoody
19 September, 2016, 4:01 PM UTC

War Comes to Darkshine

For about a month the UC knew Emps was coming for them. 

Intel from numerous sources was confirming that Emperors were coining up a very large hammer (nickname for large league strike). The intention, to come after Coralition. Which leagues in particular was not clear, the assumption from UC was that it would be Destiny who Emps had the worst relationship with by far.

The UC set about preparation. The hammer was at 600m so beacon defence had to be reorganised. The siege mechanic favours overwhelming fights quite significantly. Each beacon would need significant defence to ensure at least 1 for 1 losses when the fight came to them.

Across the UC inside beacons were quietly emptied, simply held by inactives. Strategically important edge beacons were stacked with the magic numbers to get a decent result if attacked. Within KoK an 8 edge beacon strategy was put in place, 1 edge beacon would be left empty and the other 8 set to a level to achieve a 1:1 loss ratio from an 800m hammer blow.

The UC waited, a month past.

Then one weekend it finally happened. The war started on KoK Elite's inside beacons. The first attacks showed that the Emps hammer had been coined to 800m (another 200m in a month) and with the 30% flag buff was operating at 950m. Inside beacons went down but the heavily defended edge beacons stood tested. The real fighting had yet to begin.

By the end of the weekend the attacks came to KoK. Again the undefended inside beacons were taken down. But this time Emps hit well defended edge beacons, 3 in total, 2 of which were from the heavily defended edge. The Emps hammer lost 5% and 10% of its force, 15% in a couple of hours. The attacks stopped.

djmoody
19 September, 2016, 4:08 PM UTC

Formation of Super League

In the wake of the first weekend of attacks. KoK Elite decided to go full PvP. If it was good enough for Emps to drop all beacons it was good enough for them. They have always had an aggressive culture, they preferred the idea of fighting offensively without any cares or beacons to worry about.

So Elite dropped its beacons.

With Elite beacons dropped, Destiny started talking to them about a merge. Within 2 days the Elite action had been the catalyst to discussion about forming a super league to combat the Emps hammer. If super league happened the largest members of KoK / Elite / GOA / Destiny would form a super league. The league would be housed in Destiny due to Destiny's superior fortress knowledge. Destiny would change it's name (something which never happened btw).

While the first conversation about super league were happening I was having a 4 hr conversation with Shin (literally at the same time). Shin had a plan for the server and the hits had been to get our attention to bring us to the negotiating table.

So over the next 5 days discussion about super league progressed while I talked to Shin about his plan. Super league would probably mean full out bloody war, the plan, the start of a new edge beacon super alliance. Which would win out? By the weekend Shin's plan was proposed to the UC. They needed ime to take the plan back to their leagues and the rest of their captains.

Getting 6 leagues to come to an agreement about something so important is not an easy thing, or a quick thing. Discussion were had and finally after a number of days the outcome was clear, members started moving and the super league was born.

On a personal note, I stayed behind in KoK to ensure that the loyal members of the league that were not moving to super league still had a league and a community to continue enjoying the game in. The invite was open to remaining Elite, GoA and Destiny members to join me, but in the end only a few from GoA/Elite made the move.

djmoody
19 September, 2016, 4:14 PM UTC

A War of Words

What happened next was a bit surprising. In hommage to the days of Friction from 2015, Emps took the forums and a war of words broke out between the two sides.

Emps put their hammer away and super league bode its time waiting for the 7 days introduction period for new joiners to elapse.

Much flaming and trolling ensued. I can't claim to be unbiased in this as I have been full on in picking up what i see to be outright lies and BS and debunking it. You the independent observer will have to draw your own conclusion about the flames.

Emps will have you believe they are a force for good, fighting to break the tyanny of the UC. That they do not want beacons. That they are playing hard, not super coining and have all but won the war already (look at the beacon map and the rankings they say).

UC will have you believe that they haven't hit anyone much in a year outside of Silverhammer or Unforgivens/Emps. That their time as a leading alliance has been a peaceful one for most leagues. That Emps have plans to dominate the server, having asked for an edge beacon super alliance, have coined their way into relevance via league paypal. UC is coming to the defence of the server again, in Roanne part II.

What is a fact is that the week ended with Unforgiven all being wiped off the map. Kings are gone, Knights down to 1 beacon with a little sliver of the map remaining in Gods and Knaves hands.

djmoody
19 September, 2016, 4:48 PM UTC

Unforgivens are Not Forgiven

Like the story of how emps and UC fell out. The story of how Unforgivens were all but wiped out may well be one of mis-steps and mistrust. Only time will tell if motivations were pure. 

One thing is clear though, the Unforgivens were defending their beacons, some beacons as high as 50m. When war came to them it came hard and has crippled their defence and beacon holding ability. I don't think two entire major leagues went down in 2 nights like that in the history of our server.

Unforgivens have tried to distance themselves from Emps. Via the NAP between between Unforgiven and UC, Emps were eventually persuaded to drop the Unforgiven name in an attempt separate the leagues. But how to you show proof that intangible ties have been broken. How is trust born.

It is clear that Super League did not buy what they heard. The name change is a few thousand sapphires for a league coining into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Intel showed snatched league mails requesting Unforgiven for war. Double agents suggested Unforgiven was not as neutral as they wanted to make out. Flags were traded to Emps to help provide the flag tourni buffs that would be used against Elite and KoK.

Were the league mails just preparing defence? Were the double agents telling the truth or manipulating. Lost of leagues lost flags to Emps. Only Unforgiven will know if they were truly neutral, or just trying to keep themselves safe while helping Emps as much as possible. You can ask them for yourself but how would you know if the response was true or not.

What is now a matter of record is that UC didn't buy it in the end? They saw Unforgiven as sister leagues or Emps and didn't not believe ties had been severed.

djmoody
19 September, 2016, 4:50 PM UTC

Destiny is finally hit?

If the prior weekend belonged to Destiny then the weekend just gone belonged to Emps.

7 of the 9 Destiny beacons were taken down. It looks impressive on the map and in red spam but with inside knowledge it's not all it seems. 

Emps had been sending bragging screenshots of their hammer during the week, now coined to 1.5bn (doubled from what remained after the KoK hits 3 weeks before). It could have been photo shopped or intentionally misleading but Super League took the increased threat seriously.

The beacon defence they had laid out once again needed to be re-oganised to counter the significantly larger Emps hammer. They could no longer spread out their defence across 9 beacons or fall foul to the extremes of the siege mechanic. So with heavy hearts they consolidated defence into just two beacons, ready to get decent results from a clash with the coined hammer.

They chose to super stack the 2 corner beacons.

Maybe that was too obvious, or maybe Emps had intel but Emps took advantage of the undefended beacons to steal more opportunity for propaganda. The undefended beacons were taken down.

Emps avoided the super stacked beacons, the hammer was not brought out. The server was again denied its titanic major fight.

In the only notable events, Tychi had nearly his entire offence wiped out at a beacon (approx 50m I am told) while Azog a smaller Emps member lost his entire 15m offence. A small victory for super league but the hammer remains out there.

djmoody
19 September, 2016, 5:12 PM UTC

What does the Future hold?

The war seems to be at an impass.

From the outset Emps have hidden their defence. Some will point out this was a good strategy. What it certainly means is that the super league can not claim victory to end the war by wiping out Emps defence.

Since the first week of the war Emps have seemed reluctant to use their hammer. They have coined it to twice the size but rejected the opportunity to strike a major blow against super league defence this weekend, settling for beacon pong on undefended beacons.

The leagues of UC lost approx 200-250m defence on the first weekend, exclusively on the hits on the 2 heavily defended KoK edge beacons. Emps lost 15% of their hammer.

The fighting on the first weekend remains the only major battles of the war. With the natural growth across the UC it is arguable whether the alliances defence will be down at all across the month and their offence remains completely intact. In terms of numbers have Emps achieved anything yet?

As Emps have coined an ever bigger hammer Super League has had to respond by consolidating defences into a smaller and smaller number of beacons to counter it. Spreading defence would just let the hammer pick off beacons in overwhelming fights taking few losses. The super league really has no other choice given the mechanics of the game.

Will Emps take on Super League's defence with its super coined hammer? Or it is content to take advantage of the threat the hammer to push super league defence into a small number of beacons and win a propaganda war that it won victory, pointing to the beacon map and ranking?

Super League has no targets to hit and seemingly Emps won't attack any beacons that are defended. The war is at an impass.

What worries this author is while the two power blocks continue a cold war, other leagues get sucked in. And they are sucked in to a war they can't compete in (either against Emps coining power or 3yrs+ building from UC). So far we have seen Blue Magik, KT4 and others find out the hard way that the way this war is too big for them.

Only time will tell.

brunsonthomas
19 September, 2016, 5:16 PM UTC
djmoody said:

Reserved for future posts.
Why? Why not just replyto posts instead of posting blank ones which will come up out of sequence.
UTC +5:00
djmoody
19 September, 2016, 5:19 PM UTC

brunsonthomas said:

djmoody said:

Why? Why not just replyto posts instead of posting blank ones which will come up out of sequence.

I am writing the story in bite sized chunks as you can see. It wouldn't work if a bunch of posts got made in between the story, especially as there is a good chance they would be stupid flame/trolls.

This is done a lot on other more active forums.
Zwelgje
24 September, 2016, 10:31 AM UTC
djmoody said:

brunsonthomas said:

djmoody said:

I am writing the story in bite sized chunks as you can see. It wouldn't work if a bunch of posts got made in between the story, especially as there is a good chance they would be stupid flame/trolls.

nice story my opinion both sides cant never win this war..
UTC +2:00
djmoody
24 September, 2016, 8:36 PM UTC

Zwelgje said:

nice story my opinion both sides can never win this war..

Thanks. And thanks for taking the time to read.

trevor
25 September, 2016, 7:49 PM UTC

one of the best posts ive ever seen in 2 years in this game

will any one win ??? no just plarium

as  both sides or one side coins up

a real great game ruined by  coining up 

not the same game i started in

now its all about what you spend 

thefray
25 September, 2016, 9:11 PM UTC

Zwelgje said:

djmoody said:

brunsonthomas said:

djmoody said:

nice story my opinion both sides can never win this war..

That is the truth
djmoody
26 September, 2016, 3:17 AM UTC

Stewart_KT1 said:

Fun to follow along. The only problem i see in all the posts  saying over and over that the beacons were undefended and that is 100% incorrect. Undefended means zero troops there and since there were some changes of the off and def rankings as the beacon fighting was happening means that some troops were killed.

Carry on.

Screenshot proof. Was single players not even league strikes.

prntscr.com/cmdsrx

prntscr.com/cmdswr

prntscr.com/cmdt27

prntscr.com/cmdt6k

prntscr.com/cmdtby

prntscr.com/cmdtg2

prntscr.com/cmdtkr

Tychi had his offence caught at a beacon and lost approx 50m (screenshot of that is on the forums somewhere). I saw screenshots of Azog another Emps player getting caught in pong by Roftie and losing his 15m offence. Maybe those are the PvP points you saw?

Emps were down 65m ish off, Destiny lost nothing. Chump change against the backdrop of the offence being coined but a pretty bad defeat really.
Timmyboy
26 September, 2016, 3:19 AM UTC
All i can comment on is that the Destiny beacons were empty, besides the minimum 5k holding troop trips. Up to interpretation but i think that would be considered empty?
King Timmmy's Destiny
djmoody
26 September, 2016, 1:31 PM UTC

Stewart_KT1 said:

empty and 5k are two very different things.

If this is going to be a good summary then no leanings either way is the way to go.

Weakly defended? minimally defended? The 1 golum or 5 golum didnt kill those couple dragons and some legendaries, You are showing the troops lost by a single defender, possibly during beacon pong if more than 1 defender got there or in the original take, either way defended however weakly.

i just want a good story

I posted the screenshot evidence. Anyone with any experience of PvP can tell from those screenshots they aren't from beacon pong and that there was enough def in those beacons only to hold them from Balur - its clear from the the offence losses.

As a veteran player, captain in a major league I credit you with that PvP experience, so why continue to slur the thread? It's really disappointing.

What would be the point of lying? It would be a useless lie, as Emps would simply produce the screenshots of the attacks from their side and instantly discredit me.

Stewart
26 September, 2016, 2:13 PM UTC

Yeah i will admit this didn't turn out as funny as i was expecting.

i will let you get back with the story
Noodle maker extreme
Blade
26 September, 2016, 6:11 PM UTC

Your story started being un-bios and soon went in to Emp-Bashing mode...I am part of Unforgivens so let me remind you that it was UC took the first swing at Unforgiven Kings beacons...if you are not sure about it, there is a separate article wrote by Plarium itself on that so you can't call it bios now can you?...here is the link to that and it dates back all the way to June 13th, 2016.

http://plarium.com/en/strategy-games/stormfall-age-of-war/chronicle/june-2016-2/

And in that blog there are lots of articles about the UC (Destiny specially) trying to flex their muscles and calling out other leagues. Try following links.

http://plarium.com/en/strategy-games/stormfall-age-of-war/chronicle/july-2016-17/

http://plarium.com/en/strategy-games/stormfall-age-of-war/chronicle/june-2016-3/

Any comments?

UTC +5:00
FAILO
26 September, 2016, 6:22 PM UTC

Blade said:

Your story started being un-bios and soon went in to Emp-Bashing mode...I am part of Unforgivens so let me remind you that it was UC took the first swing at Unforgiven Kings beacons...if you are not sure about it, there is a separate article wrote by Plarium itself on that so you can't call it bios now can you?...here is the link to that and it dates back all the way to June 13th, 2016.

http://plarium.com/en/strategy-games/stormfall-age-of-war/chronicle/june-2016-2/

And in that blog there are lots of articles about the UC (Destiny specially) trying to flex their muscles and calling out other leagues. Try following links.

http://plarium.com/en/strategy-games/stormfall-age-of-war/chronicle/july-2016-17/

http://plarium.com/en/strategy-games/stormfall-age-of-war/chronicle/june-2016-3/

Any comments?

sorry to pop your bubble, but the chronicles are written by players. so that kinda destroys your idea about those being unbiased.

just scroll all the way to the bottom of every cronicle and you will read this

"This article was written by a player who granted permission for it to be posted on Plarium.com. Any thoughts or views expressed herein are the player's own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Plarium Global​."

1725490 users registered; 43171 topic; 271708 posts; our newest member:nibbasinnoelle