All Categories

What will plarium do when Flash crashes

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Aug 1, 2016, 08:5408/01/16
08/03/14

Now that the fall of adobe flash is imminent what is the plan for all these flash based games?  how will plarium handle that?

are we all sitting on a ticking time bomb, will we log in one day to an error message taht reads "flash not supported by this browser" and be forever locked out of the game?

Post edited. Inappropriate content deleted. Nemanja, moderator 
Views
Comments
Comments
Alyona KolomiitsevaCommunity Manager
Aug 1, 2016, 09:5308/01/16
09/17/15

Flash is not planning to crash in the near future, IRONAPEX. 

Our developers monitor the situation, and they will take the necessary measures to make our game running despite of such hypothetical issues.
Aug 1, 2016, 12:0208/01/16
Aug 2, 2016, 11:07(edited)
07/25/15

IronApex Turok said:

Now that the fall of adobe flash is imminent what is the plan for all these flash based games?  how will plarium handle that?

are we all sitting on a ticking time bomb, will we log in one day to an error message taht reads "flash not supported by this browser" and be forever locked out of the game?

"While standards like HTML5 will be the web platform of the future across all devices, Flash continues to be used in key categories like web gaming and premium video, where new standards have yet to fully mature. Moving forward, Adobe is committed to working with industry partners, as we have with Microsoft and Google, to help ensure the ongoing compatibility and security of Flash content. In that spirit, today we are announcing that we are working together with Facebook to help ensure Flash gaming content on Facebook continues to run reliably and securely. As part of this cooperation, Facebook will report security information that helps Adobe improve the Flash Player."

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2015/11/flash-html5-and-open-web-standards.html

Granted this a while ago, but still.

Aug 1, 2016, 18:1108/01/16
Aug 1, 2016, 20:31(edited)

Alyona Kolomiitseva said:

"Flash is not planning to crash in the near future, IRONAPEX. 

Our developers monitor the situation, and they will take the necessary measures to make our game running despite of such hypothetical issues."
thank you for answering the topic. so plarium is monitoring the situation. does that mean that they are exploring all possibilities as the browsers faze out flash? That they are communicating with adobe, , Mozilla, explorer and google chrome?
“Starting this month, Mozilla's Firefox browser will start blocking some Flash files that are invisible to users, ones that are used by websites to do things like track usage. Later this year, Firefox will block other Flash files that are used to determine whether consumers view particular advertisements.
At some time next year -- Mozilla hasn't said when -- Firefox will block all Flash content by default. But even then, consumers will still be able to run Flash in Firefox and they'll be able to access Flash files by simply clicking on them.
Google is likewise taking a gradual approach. It announced in May that its Chrome browser would start blocking Flash files by default for most sites starting in the fourth quarter of this year. But it would allow Flash to run unimpeded on the top 10 sites. And as with Firefox, Chrome will continue to support Flash and will allow users to view Flash files by simply clicking on them.” “Oh, and neither Mozilla nor Google has said if or when it plans to completely dump Flash”.
will we have to every time we log in say yes open this website? relogging is already a nuisance when game doesn't function properly. Or will it be a one-time yes open always for this site? My worst fear is that: “Chrome will continue to support Flash and will allow users to view Flash files by simply clicking on them.” Means that we will have to click {yes open the file} during every single action in the game, such as troops returning, raids, sieges and spying.
And I have always had issues with  amounts as well as selections changing on me while selecting troops or resource amounts and an action occurs in the game. I have stated this repeatedly to help and support. Their response “it is not a technical issue” therefore I do not believe that my concern is unfounded.
when other plugins have been fazed out or websites java wasn't up to date i would get messages, do you want to open this. i click the do not show me this again box and yet every time i login I have to click yes open this website. The plugin that opened certain games got removed, I then had to tell chrome that I wanted it back, 9 months later it was gone for good.
So I now play the game on the company’s download, yet recently explorer has been having popups telling me the website wants access to something, I click no (there is no option for don’t show me this again) not that clicking it works anyhow. I am on the company’s download, and yet, I am getting popups from explorer. I am wondering if it is due to the flash player.
i am not a techno-geek therefore i do not know if  "will allow users to view Flash files by simply clicking on them.” means that there will be a message after every quest and bgs command: "do you want to open this file.  or if it means that having flash shut off by default will function the exact same way as flash being on by default.  if it is the latter, it seems redundant to make a statement on it.

Aug 2, 2016, 03:3308/02/16
01/11/16
Youtube runs on HTML5. Everyone else should be following this lead as i heard good things about it.
Aug 2, 2016, 09:2208/02/16
Aug 3, 2016, 11:31(edited)
07/25/15

djmoody said:

IronApex Turok said:

i dont think anyone should spend any more money on sapphires until this is answered. 

Simples.....

They plan on destroying the game themselves before then - make it so pay to win that it will be dead before the Flash problem kills it.

In a perfect world they will extract the last drop of cash from the game just as Flash turns the lights out.

Its not likely they will make like a Stormfall v 2.0 so they can transfer the current database over to a new engine. So in reality we are playing a doomed game, but so you do with all online games out there, they got a limited lifespawn. I think the fallout of bad decisions regarding the business model is more likely to kill off the game sooner than the demise of Flash though.But hey, maybe thats one way to solve the later problem. If players knew that in, 2 years, this game would end. (or any given end date), they would be less likely to spend anything.

Aug 2, 2016, 09:2508/02/16
Aug 3, 2016, 11:30(edited)
07/25/15
Aaron KT1 said:

djmoody said:

They plan on destroying the game themselves before then - make it so pay to win that it will be dead before the Flash problem kills it.

In a perfect world they will extract the last drop of cash from the game just as Flash turns the lights out.
But they will never be honest enough to admit it. ;-)
Well if you are running a business and you know your product is reaching an expiration date. You don't tell your customers before you really have to. So meanwhile you try cash in as much as possible, that just how business geared towards. Of course if you come up with a new product or brand later, the same customers more likely to flip you the bird than become a customer again though.
Aug 3, 2016, 07:0208/03/16
08/03/14
windows 10 will be blocking flash as soon as the aniversary updated rolls out. 
Aug 3, 2016, 14:3908/03/16
07/25/15

djmoody said:

I know they will delete posts and give warning to people that point out that the end is nigh, cause they are doing that already.

Well I really would like to hear from Plarium on the topic, what their plans for the future is in relation to demise of flash and such. Like all mmos and such out there will eventually come to and end. So it won't come as a surprise that one day we do our last raids and fights in Stormfall as well. But will there be a new version of the game? will we be able to transfer over? After all there is a lot of players that spent a small fortune on this game.

With all the flash games and such out there. There is no reason to start yell the sky is falling yet, but it does warrant a discussion regarding the future.

Aug 3, 2016, 15:0008/03/16
03/22/16
IronApex Turok said:

Where did you find this information. I am a certified MCSE and all information I can find is Microsoft and Adobe are working together. If you cannot find a verifiable source, I will ban you for three days forintentionally spreading false information.
Aug 3, 2016, 15:4708/03/16
05/18/14

brunsonthomas said:

IronApex Turok said:

Where did you find this information. I am a certified MCSE and all information I can find is Microsoft and Adobe are working together. If you cannot find a verifiable source, I will ban you for three days forintentionally spreading false information.

I was  a mod in another game for many years -- I have never seen so much calling out players in the forum rather than communicating privately and being deliberately antagonistic towards them.

To answer your question in regards to edge 

Even though Microsoft is working to give Edge users a more reliable Flash experience in the browser, the company is still pushing for the reduced use of the technology for more standard compliant implementations.

"We encourage the web community to continue the transition away from Flash and towards open web standards. Standards like Encrypted Media Extensions, Media Source Extensions, Canvas, Web Audio, and RTC offer a rich way to deliver similar experiences with increased performance and security.”

Aug 3, 2016, 15:4908/03/16
07/25/15

brunsonthomas said:

IronApex Turok said:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3101968/microsoft-windows/review-windows-10-anniversary-update-good-bad-meh-video.html

"People who hate Adobe Flash ads will welcome the new Edge, though. Edge now determines whether Flash content is integral to the page you're on and auto-pauses any non-essential Flash content (such as ads). Any Flash content that is important to the page, such as news videos, won't be auto-paused. Want to see that ad after all? You'll be able to manually play the content if you want.

All this does more than just stop an annoyance. Flash also eats up battery life, so auto-pausing Flash ads should help laptops last longer when running on battery. And it will help pages load more quickly and be more responsive as well.

In my tests, I found that Flash-blocking worked well. Edge successfully auto-paused every ad on a page full of sample flash ads. Clicking the play button on each played the ad.

Keep in mind, though, that this won't block every Flash ad. Many sites automatically play videos as an integral part of their core content -- and often an ad plays before the content does. Edge doesn't block those ads."

Only thing I really found relating to blocking flash with windows 10. But remember, there is a lot of stuff out there on the net, not all necessary valid or true, and we exposed for this and can carry the message onwards to others. He might have read something that made him think otherwise. Banning him for stating what he thought was happening seems a bit rash though. His intent not likely malicious.

Aug 3, 2016, 16:3708/03/16
03/22/16
Gadheras said:

brunsonthomas said:

IronApex Turok said:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3101968/microsoft-windows/review-windows-10-anniversary-update-good-bad-meh-video.html

"People who hate Adobe Flash ads will welcome the new Edge, though. Edge now determines whether Flash content is integral to the page you're on and auto-pauses any non-essential Flash content (such as ads). Any Flash content that is important to the page, such as news videos, won't be auto-paused. Want to see that ad after all? You'll be able to manually play the content if you want.

All this does more than just stop an annoyance. Flash also eats up battery life, so auto-pausing Flash ads should help laptops last longer when running on battery. And it will help pages load more quickly and be more responsive as well.

In my tests, I found that Flash-blocking worked well. Edge successfully auto-paused every ad on a page full of sample flash ads. Clicking the play button on each played the ad.

Keep in mind, though, that this won't block every Flash ad. Many sites automatically play videos as an integral part of their core content -- and often an ad plays before the content does. Edge doesn't block those ads."

Only thing I really found relating to blocking flash with windows 10. But remember, there is a lot of stuff out there on the net, not all necessary valid or true, and we exposed for this and can carry the message onwards to others. He might have read something that made him think otherwise. Banning him for stating what he thought was happening seems a bit rash though. His intent not likely malicious.

One key word was missing in the IronApex Turok quote that was misleading. Microsoft and Goole are blocking Adobe Flash ads not programs. I over reacted to the comment. Since verifiable information was found and was misquoted no action will be taken against player. However, I must be more careful how I react to players' posts. I should not have been confrontational. Since the Plarium games are not animated ads it will not be affected by the changes to Edge as it is not affected bythe changes in Chrome which has many players actively playing today.
Aug 3, 2016, 16:4708/03/16
03/27/14

Just my theory 

When flash finely does end.. and browsers no longer can support it, Then Microsoft will have their own built in system, just those browsers and apps that rely on the program will have to keep in contact with the developers to keep it noted so when the time comes everything can be updated..... it's the newest advanced technology, they aren't going to allow this to be the fall of flash games 

Im pretty sure Plarium is keeping this top priorty on watch 
Aug 3, 2016, 16:5008/03/16

Blasphemy said:

Just my theory 

When flash finely does end.. and browsers no longer can support it, Then Microsoft will have their own built in system, just those browsers and apps that rely on the program will have to keep in contact with the developers to keep it noted so when the time comes everything can be updated..... it's the newest advanced technology, they aren't going to allow this to be the fall of flash games 

"pretty sure".............very interesting..........muhaha

Aug 3, 2016, 20:5308/03/16
04/22/16

Blasphemy said:

Just my theory 

Microsoft has had an alternative to Flash for several years called Silverlight, it is the native application on asp.net platforms not Adobe Flash as Plarium has been running. The biggest fault is most browsers are not compatible with Silverlight by default as it is proprietary software.

Aug 4, 2016, 08:0808/04/16
08/03/14
can the game be recoded into HTML5?
Alyona KolomiitsevaCommunity Manager
Aug 5, 2016, 07:5508/05/16
09/17/15
IronApex Turok said:

can the game be recoded into HTML5?
Our developers are considering this possibility among other ones.