09/05/15

Calculating a fair distribution of Dark Essense

What formula, if any, do others use?

Getting it right needs to be more than plocking numbers out of thin air
Views
Comments
Comments
Jul 10, 2016, 10:4907/10/16

Im not sure I understand the question, my Lord?

Jul 10, 2016, 13:4107/10/16
08/12/14

Almericus said:

What formula, if any, do others use?

Getting it right needs to be more than plocking numbers out of thin air

I'm guessing you mean assigning DE based on some number, usually amount of defense a player has in the beacon.

The most common way is to set up a step system. Here's an example:

1-1.5 mil def = 1000 DE

1.5-2 mil def = 1500 DE

2-3 mil def = 2500 DE

etc.

The reason for this type of system is that players have a defined level for differing rewards, hence a goal for the future. I tried a system that was much more involved in the past, using the % share each player had of defense in the beacons, but this method would demotivate some players that were unable to keep up as the rest of the league grew.

Every league will need to tune the defense levels and the DE rewards for each level. My recommendation is to set it so that, at least in the beginning, the total amount of DE that would be used by your league is 90% of that in the beacon(s). You could then tune it slowly as you see how the DE is being used.

However, I recommend never trying to use 100% of the DE in the beacon. This way you can use the extra to darken a league hammer, help your huge players that have food problems, and give it out as a reward to your members for doing something special (providing softeners to hit beacons, being one of the top three in a defense/ offense building contest, participating in hitting a league target, etc.)

Jul 11, 2016, 00:1307/11/16
03/20/14

I basically agree with INAGINNI,  except for reserving the 10%. Your hammer members should auto get DE at the same rate as the highest level defender level.

On top of that you will find that there will be many members that will gladly donate their DE share for the members that are large in off or def.

On the long term it will sort itself out, as with the amount of troops the big players have it doesn't matter if they get DE or not as they will still be minus 600-800k ph even with everything darkened.
Jul 11, 2016, 08:0407/11/16
02/21/16

Imho you can start with "plocking numbers out of thin air", but you need to ask your league members to use theirs allotment so you can monitor usage and fine tune it. Ask in chat for feedback and if anyone is feeling not adequately compensated for their contribution.
In my experience your will to share DE on fair and understandable rules will be enough to find allotment that satisfy everyone.
One of the reasons i left my first league was "upper management", like my captains and marshal at the time liked to call themselfs. They were using tens of thousands DE per day while you for 2 mill would get 400.

Jul 11, 2016, 16:1307/11/16
08/03/14

one of the worst parts of the game. casues too much infighting.

ive had players quit the league because they couldnt darken their 200 archers.

every newb who has never had a beacon all of sudden wants DE but has no clue what it is. 
Jul 11, 2016, 22:3307/11/16
08/12/14
IronApex Turok said:

one of the worst parts of the game. casues too much infighting.

ive had players quit the league because they couldnt darken their 200 archers.

every newb who has never had a beacon all of sudden wants DE but has no clue what it is. 
Heh. That's why I'm no longer a beacon captain. I did that for 8 months and I was done. Having to take care of all the mail from members, making sure no one overdraws, balancing defense, updating everyone's DE rights etc was a nightmare.
Jul 15, 2016, 17:0907/15/16
09/05/15
Thanks guys for the input, I guess I was hoping someone would come up with a magic formula that would help me convince my Marshall to let me tune things slightly differently. I like the idea of using DE as  reward for in game achievements and allowing DE donations to those who need it most.
Jul 15, 2016, 20:5407/15/16
08/20/15

There's no simple formula I'm afraid.  No matter how many beacons you have, there won't be enough DE to go around - the more beacons you have the more defense you need so it's a vicious circle. My league splits it up equally on paper, but those who don't do heavy fighting usually don't take their full draw, allowing those who do the heaviest hitting (since none of us are slackers) to draw the full amount. We don't have any problem with overdrawing, since we're all experienced players and know that it helps the league as a whole when those who need the lower food requirement the most are allowed to take their DE.   

Its harder when there isn't a lot of trust within a league though. I suggest you privately discuss your reasoning with your Marshall, and see what he says.  Does your league darken offense as well as defense?