Updates Communication and Interactions

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Comments
Dec 30, 2015, 12:3612/30/15
Dec 29, 2018, 17:00(edited)
11/05/14

Lord Oberon said:

As for the recent updates, we realize that some of them weren't exactly popular, but they needed to be done. With Hamlets, for instance, we needed them because we wanted to have players actually fight for resources. We didn't like the idea of having 1 pikeman guarding a settlement and collecting a lot of resources. So we came up with Hamlets. The other much disliked updates were various Items. What we'd like to stress is that they weren't meant to change the game and they don't actually widen the gap between the coiners and non coiners. They were supposed to be fun and fill the void between "big" updates, like the one we're going to release in the early 2016 and that will be announced later.

Hamlets were a good idea; it made sense, was simple, and we can agree that the previous system was shallow and boring. However, the way hamlets were implemented was incredibly heavy handed and no real consideration was put forth into why they should work. I mean I'm sorry, but way to dodge a pothole only to fall off a bridge.

Regarding the suggestion to change the Rank at which Beacon Defence becomes visible, our dev team has a big task to change the league control settings and this suggestion is included there and will be implemented as part of the bigger task, hence the delay in implementation. Our dev team is not very numerous and we simply are unable to implement the requested changes momentarily. Also, when I say that I've forwarded your ideas to Development, it means that we'll investigate those game elements which you feel need improvement. Sometimes, we may change those elements in other ways which still resolve your concerns.

See that's the issue.

We don't hear anything about it until we a) Bring it up to you, or b) You announce it the day or week beforehand and we find out collaterally. This is not good. I don't have to tell you (or maybe I do? Lol) that people don't like being kept in the dark. It creates mistrust and resentment between people, a gaming community is no different in this respect.

My solution? We'd appreciate a dev blog, more staff transparency on the forum, and elected community members to represent the community's best interests. As I've said before, I understand you require financial compensation for your services, no where did I state in my thought process that was wrong, but that we dislike having our opinions (no matter how entirely justified we think they are) relayed to some unknown group via Oberon's persona and the moderators.

I am a Plarium collective persona, expressing Plarium’s official positions and listening to you, our players, for feedback regarding new features, suggestions, questions and concerns. All of this feedback is relayed to our development team through various channels.

I acknowledge your commitment in staying up-to-date on community affairs, even if you are paid. However, what I'm saying is, that when we suggest to you, "A, B, C" and then you tell us you've heard what we've said. Then you go and tell your colleagues, "A and B" on Skype and email, we can't help but feel there's a disconnection on communication between us.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is why can't we talk to the developers and hear what they have to say about issues. Or why can't we have elected community members chosen to relay our concerns directly? There's a lot of options for improving communication, we just need to pick one and get to work.

Lord Oberon said:

@Shewuvsyou, the point you were making was "this game is not made for the players.", which I find strange. To put it simply the game is 50% for the players and 50% for the developers. We benefit from each other. Players are being entertained playing the game, and they support the game via money and with their help we are able to maintain the game and people who are making the game.

Uhh, no. That wasn't my entire point, but if that's what we're going to focus on then alright.

We do benefit each other, but to say that Plarium made this game as a giant philanthropy endeavor is totally unreasonable and a lie and that the only reason they charge money for items is to keep the lights on. No, I'm sorry, it's not. If you think that, you're naive and lying to yourself and the entire community for that matter.

They made the game to entertain people with the intent of turning a profit. If you can entertain people while doing it, then yes, it's a win-win, which is what every game developer aims to do. If they don't aim to do that, then they aren't game developers for very long. When you're not entertaining people, that doesn't make your mission any more or less charitable, it just means that you made a bad game and/or drove it into the ground with a terrible business model. Business being the operative word here.

Dec 30, 2015, 12:3812/30/15
07/25/15

Mehnslayer said:

I think most popular MMO games survive purely on the fact that they do focus so much on the community, the word "ethical" microtransactions gets thrown around a lot with F2P mmo's

Well there is microtransactions and there is microtransactions. Things that doesn't affect the sandbox, (and yes Stormfall is a sandbox), things that appeal to a players vanity, things that save you time (grind vs time/effort, like xp boosters and similar). You will find players willing to spend money when there is value to be had or buying into their vanity of "oh that cool , I want that.).

Lord OberonCharacter
Dec 30, 2015, 12:5612/30/15
01/06/15
Basically, what I'm trying to say, is why can't we talk to the developers and hear what they have to say about issues.

We understand your desire to communicate directly with the people who are making the game. It is for this reason that we established the Community Management department. The dev team is solely responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of all game features and updates. Due to the massive scale of our games, it is not possible for our development team to communicate directly with the community. It is our job to take a step back, analyze all player comments, and make smart choices about what we can and can’t do to improve the game.

Or why can't we have elected community members chosen to relay our concerns directly?

You can do that, and it's entirely up to you. You can use this forum or any other preferred means to vote. You together can prepare a list of questions you have and we would gladly prepare an official reply for you.

However, the way hamlets were implemented was incredibly heavy handed and no real consideration was put forth into why they should work. 

I absolutely agree with that and would like to apologize for the mistakes in communication. We will do our utmost to ensure that we do better in providing you with the most relevant information regarding our plans and future updates. The next big update will be properly announced before release. 

Dec 31, 2015, 00:5312/31/15
Dec 29, 2018, 16:51(edited)
11/05/14
Gadheras said:

Mehnslayer said:

I think most popular MMO games survive purely on the fact that they do focus so much on the community, the word "ethical" microtransactions gets thrown around a lot with F2P mmo's

Well there is microtransactions and there is microtransactions. Things that doesn't affect the sandbox, (and yes Stormfall is a sandbox), things that appeal to a players vanity, things that save you time (grind vs time/effort, like xp boosters and similar). You will find players willing to spend money when there is value to be had or buying into their vanity of "oh that cool , I want that.).

That is something I have brought up previously, The response I got was they attempted to make vanity items with the improvements, I would debate however. As for the microtransactions, the word "micro" means small or insignificant, a lot of companies claim to have microtransactions  but honestly i'm not sure how many games actually have "micro"transactions anymore... I'm not sure Plarium could be considered "micro" because some of their bundles are a fortnights pay for a person. 
Dec 31, 2015, 01:2512/31/15
11/05/14

Lord Oberon said:

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is why can't we talk to the developers and hear what they have to say about issues.

We understand your desire to communicate directly with the people who are making the game. It is for this reason that we established the Community Management department. The dev team is solely responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of all game features and updates. Due to the massive scale of our games, it is not possible for our development team to communicate directly with the community. It is our job to take a step back, analyze all player comments, and make smart choices about what we can and can’t do to improve the game.

Or why can't we have elected community members chosen to relay our concerns directly?

You can do that, and it's entirely up to you. You can use this forum or any other preferred means to vote. You together can prepare a list of questions you have and we would gladly prepare an official reply for you.

However, the way hamlets were implemented was incredibly heavy handed and no real consideration was put forth into why they should work. 

I absolutely agree with that and would like to apologize for the mistakes in communication. We will do our utmost to ensure that we do better in providing you with the most relevant information regarding our plans and future updates. The next big update will be properly announced before release. 

Sigh, this isn't going anywhere.

Thanks for reading my replies, but I'm not a fan of cherry picking. I'm not going to continue spending energy on this topic.

Jan 13, 2016, 10:2901/13/16
07/25/15

Mehnslayer said:

Gadheras said:

Mehnslayer said:

That is something I have brought up previously, The response I got was they attempted to make vanity items with the improvements, I would debate however. As for the microtransactions, the word "micro" means small or insignificant, a lot of companies claim to have microtransactions  but honestly i'm not sure how many games actually have "micro"transactions anymore... I'm not sure Plarium could be considered "micro" because some of their bundles are a fortnights pay for a person. 

By chance I stumbled over this on steam lol @ Pay2Win: The Tricks Exposed,

Jan 27, 2016, 19:1101/27/16
07/11/13

Has anything come about from this forum post? Are any of the suggestions form the players being considered such as a council of influential players in the game to discuss the game with plarium or experienced Stormfall players to be given a moderator tag?

Jan 28, 2016, 06:0701/28/16
11/05/14
Skycooldude said:

Has anything come about from this forum post? Are any of the suggestions form the players being considered such as a council of influential players in the game to discuss the game with plarium or experienced Stormfall players to be given a moderator tag?

There was something I discussed with Oberon yesterday, however I feel with the response I got it is better if he chooses to release the information or not
Jan 28, 2016, 15:3801/28/16
07/11/13

Mehnslayer said:

Skycooldude said:

There was something I discussed with Oberon yesterday, however I feel with the response I got it is better if he chooses to release the information or not

Should I be looking to this forum for  a response or would he create another thread if he chose to release the information?

Lord OberonCharacter
Jan 28, 2016, 16:0801/28/16
01/06/15

At the moment we are working on a better way to communicate with the community. 

The forum mod tag will only be given to active forum users who enjoy helping fellow players out and care about the state of these Forums.

As for the player suggestions in this thread, yes, some of them are being considered. 

Jan 28, 2016, 18:3501/28/16
Feb 3, 2020, 12:07(edited)
I have only just joined the forum and so can't comment on the issues. Has this criticism been on the scale of, say, Louis Van Gall at Manchester United? So as Monty Python used to sing "Always look on the bright side of life". This could be United getting hammered by City and Van Gaal suffering the fate of the other recent  'also rans' ... or the right idea at the right time and in 18 months time you could be holding the  European Cup.
Jan 28, 2016, 18:5501/28/16
Oct 12, 2020, 12:03(edited)

Maybe an English/soccer fan can answer that. But Plarium is actively trying to improve the methods of communication between the community and the development team. I personally enjoy moderating for Plarium as a company, however everything can be improved to be more reliable/faster etc...

The company suffers from the same problems that a lot of game companies, and that seems to be at least from my perspective, is the developers (the guys that code etc...) have different views from the community in terms of how they want the game to look. However, the developers do make a lot of changes for the community and are listening. 

Lord OberonCharacter
Jan 29, 2016, 15:3901/29/16
01/06/15
Welcome, lord Graham4Lewis4

I've absolutely no idea who this lord Louis Van Gall is. 

I recommend that you read this forum more to form your own opinion on the community and the issues that we're facing. Feel free to comment when you are ready 

Jan 31, 2016, 13:4801/31/16
Dec 29, 2018, 16:45(edited)
11/05/14

I feel like that may of been directed at me DJ, 

I really feel that the "experienced players don't have a say but non experienced mods do" is effectively redundant, Lord Oberon will tell you that I rarely bring something up in terms of suggestions unless it has a direct link back to a forum post previously by yourself, or someone like Sky. Additionally BiohazarD is a moderator and he can tell you that your say is effectively the same as anyone's, he has more experience then I and I can only assume he agrees with you on most things (same as I).

Blaming moderators for the lack of community content is in no way the correct way of looking at it, especially since there are plenty of moderators with just as much experience as yourself.

I will more then welcome you to become a moderator and discuss this stuff yourself, but you are just pointing the finger and I don't think you are pointing it in the right direction. On top of that, even if I have only been playing for a year compared to your 2-3 years, I along with the other moderators are not exactly new to the game, the moderators for at least 90% time agree with the community, including experienced players yourself.

Feel free to apply to be a moderator DJ if you think the current moderators are incapable of relaying legitimate feedback to Plarium

Jan 31, 2016, 15:4901/31/16
Dec 29, 2018, 16:45(edited)
11/05/14

I'm letting Oberon take this thread, because practically anything and everything I can say will get me yelled at by somebody.

Think what you will but I don't believe splitting the community up even more will help give feedback, should look at it from the other way... Give feedback on what the developers are doing prior to release...But that falls on Plarium's shoulders.

Feb 6, 2016, 15:4602/06/16
Dec 29, 2018, 16:52(edited)
11/05/14

djmoody said:

And now it turns out some leagues had advanced warning of beacons drops and other didn't. Given the ridiculous advantage this info confers I would escalte this issue to now being A DEMAND not just a REQUEST.

Moderators were given permission (at least the Plarium.com ones) to leak the information on the beacons, however as there is only 2 moderators that actively play on Plarium.com, the rest are on FB and I didn't leak the information myself (I have no reason to)

Can I ask which league(s) you are targeting? 

Lord OberonCharacter
Feb 8, 2016, 13:1802/08/16
Feb 8, 2016, 13:18(edited)
01/06/15

Lord DJMoody, 

The information about beacons isn't confidential. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I assume that a league member wrote to Plarium  Helpdesk or one of the community managers and asked when new beacons will be released. The only answer he or she could have received is "Soon". Anyone could have gotten the same answer and I don't think it gives any strategic advantage to the person who received it.

All leagues are equal.
Feb 9, 2016, 04:3002/09/16
Dec 29, 2018, 16:53(edited)
11/05/14

DJ this exact topic was raised on Facebook and I asked a person who said they were ready.... His response to how he knew is by monitoring past drops and predicting based on the activity.

So it may not be a leak more or less just a prediction because they tend to happen around the same time as updates... And the next update has been hinted at for at least 3 weeks.

Lord OberonCharacter
Feb 9, 2016, 12:5202/09/16
01/06/15
So you have a leak.
And yes its a MASSIVE problem.

I appreciate the information that you've provided, my Lord. We'll investigate this and make sure that information leaks that can give potential advantage to some leagues do not happen ever again.