Plarium's plans for its strategy games once browsers stop supporting Flash

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
AlinaCommunity Manager
Sep 12, 2019, 12:4109/12/19
05/21/19

In 2016, Adobe announced that they would stop developing Flash. By December 2020, Flash will no longer be supported by any web browser. As many of you know, most of Plarium’s strategy games run on the Flash engine. If the browsers block Flash, it would spell the end of an incredible gaming community. It would be a disaster, and we’re not about to let it happen.

Adobe suggested we transfer our games from Flash to WebGL to avoid the problem entirely. As an experiment, we began to transfer one of our games - Sparta: War of Empires - to WebGL in the middle of 2016.

It took 2 years, and the results were disappointing. The WebGL engine was not as powerful as Flash: the minimum system requirements went up, the visual quality went down, the load times were 5-7 times longer, and the game was much less responsive. After 3 years of awesome gameplay, players had come to expect more. WebGL would not do!

Our top priority was, and will always be, the development of high-quality games for our players. WebGL was unacceptable, so we built an alternative: Plarium Play, an independent desktop application. It enables us to safely and reliably use Flash even after Adobe stops supporting the engine. It’s convenient for you, it’s convenient for us, and it’s already the solution being implemented by others facing this problem.

What does this mean?

Chrome will support Flash till the end of 2020. We recommend switching to Chrome if your browser cuts support early.

Players who are currently playing on plarium.com should switch directly to Plarium Play as soon as possible.

Players who are using facebook.com should switch to Facebook’s Gameroom application.

Other social platforms hosting our games are currently developing desktop applications. Once those are out, you should switch over.

While Flash is available on browsers, we will do everything we can to help you play our games on your format of choice. Once that’s no longer an option, you can still keep playing on Plarium Play or your platform’s desktop application.

We want to assure you that our strategy games will keep using Flash. Our best developers will continue working on improving the game quality, adding new content, and implementing new features to provide you with the best game experience. We will also continue collecting feedback from our gaming community so we can create a perfect game together.

Thank you for sticking with us. We will keep you updated!

Plarium Team

Views
Comments
Comments
Sep 12, 2019, 13:2709/12/19
02/28/16

disappointing...

Sep 12, 2019, 15:0609/12/19
01/13/17

that's all well and good for those on microshaft or ios but linux is still not supported and that may well leave more players than you suspect without the ability to play.

well done, plarium for such myopic shortsightedness
Sep 12, 2019, 15:3209/12/19
12/30/16
Now if only you can get the Plarium Play App to work mine stopped working this month when the app insisted on updating from 2.0 to 3.0 it would not update it would not uninstall completely either not even with advanced uninstaller now all it says when I try to install the app is that installation failed app already installed. I'm not the only person with this problem.
Sep 12, 2019, 15:3809/12/19
11/25/16
i run windows 10 and get fatal error messages when i download the plarium play which is only for windows 8 and lower..
Sep 12, 2019, 15:5109/12/19
04/11/15
Can you make plarium pay work on chromium. I like to use my chrome tablet and i dont want to lose my ability to use it when they stop supporting flash.
Sep 12, 2019, 15:5809/12/19
05/21/16
You could use html5 instead of flash ?
Sep 12, 2019, 16:0909/12/19
09/25/18

Hi

just not find stormfall (nor pirates) where i play on FB from past 9 years (and paid for play) on "FB gameroom" . ;(

the new strategy will envolve to begin our game to 0 ? 

In such case = i consider that is a complete "roberry" enforcing players to pay (by sendind commercial offer every 30 seconds) on the game?

thx for your further answers

regards
Sep 12, 2019, 18:0009/12/19
07/17/17
Hi,

I play on Ubuntu. Is it part of your plans to provide a solution that works for Linux users?

Sep 12, 2019, 18:1009/12/19
09/27/14
the formats will not work for me. i only have a chromebook. can you add a way to play it on a chromebook
Sep 12, 2019, 18:3209/12/19
Sep 15, 2019, 15:46(edited)
09/11/15

Will I be able to play my multiple castles on Plarium Play ? I can do it on Chrome, but not on Microsoft.

I obviously did not ask the question the right way. Will Plarium Play allow me to have multiple castles on one server, as Chrome allows me to do right now ?  Will I be limited to one Plarium account per IP address ?
Sep 12, 2019, 18:5609/12/19
12/28/15
I use the browser version. I use chrome. I have looked into using the download but there's a "hidden" kernal  that my security will not allow!! This would be the same component that is NOT allowed to be uninstalled as mentioned above. Why is it necessary to infiltrate my  mainframe? Could ya possibly consider removing the many unnecessary components that take up space and require extreme measures from both our ends to have me "game" here?! You're right to address the issues of easy access to keep your faithful followers, but seem to fall short of solving any real problems for your followers!  
Sep 12, 2019, 21:3709/12/19
Sep 12, 2019, 21:40(edited)
08/28/14

Many players have alternate (paying) accounts. The Plarium app is single threaded and will not allow multiple players to be active at the same time, this will eliminate those players who have multiple browsers open actively playing their accounts.

Very short sighted.

But, you do have a year or so to allow multi-threading on the plarium app. I suggest that your staff commit to that.

As for the players using Chromebooks and Linux OS, oh well & I hope Plarium's business model can handle a drop of, what, 5% of revenue instantly.

Respectfully...

PS. One of the reasons that Flash is disappearing is that it was (and still is) a security nightmare. And Adobe Corp was always about the money starting with Tru-Type fonts.
Sep 12, 2019, 22:0009/12/19
04/21/18
Alina said:

In 2016, Adobe announced that they would stop developing Flash. By December 2020, Flash will no longer be supported by any web browser. As many of you know, most of Plarium’s strategy games run on the Flash engine. If the browsers block Flash, it would spell the end of an incredible gaming community. It would be a disaster, and we’re not about to let it happen.

Adobe suggested we transfer our games from Flash to WebGL to avoid the problem entirely. As an experiment, we began to transfer one of our games - Sparta: War of Empires - to WebGL in the middle of 2016.

It took 2 years, and the results were disappointing. The WebGL engine was not as powerful as Flash: the minimum system requirements went up, the visual quality went down, the load times were 5-7 times longer, and the game was much less responsive. After 3 years of awesome gameplay, players had come to expect more. WebGL would not do!

Our top priority was, and will always be, the development of high-quality games for our players. WebGL was unacceptable, so we built an alternative: Plarium Play, an independent desktop application. It enables us to safely and reliably use Flash even after Adobe stops supporting the engine. It’s convenient for you, it’s convenient for us, and it’s already the solution being implemented by others facing this problem.

What does this mean?

Chrome will support Flash till the end of 2020. We recommend switching to Chrome if your browser cuts support early.

Players who are currently playing on plarium.com should switch directly to Plarium Play as soon as possible.

Players who are using facebook.com should switch to Facebook’s Gameroom application.

Other social platforms hosting our games are currently developing desktop applications. Once those are out, you should switch over.

While Flash is available on browsers, we will do everything we can to help you play our games on your format of choice. Once that’s no longer an option, you can still keep playing on Plarium Play or your platform’s desktop application.

We want to assure you that our strategy games will keep using Flash. Our best developers will continue working on improving the game quality, adding new content, and implementing new features to provide you with the best game experience. We will also continue collecting feedback from our gaming community so we can create a perfect game together.

Thank you for sticking with us. We will keep you updated!

Plarium Team

Sep 12, 2019, 23:5709/12/19
05/28/16
Problem with the latest plarium play app: it now requires admin privileges to install on a PC. That was not the case before. So now my only option is to use a browser. What about making it work as an android or IOS app so it can be used on tablets/IPads?
Sep 13, 2019, 00:2209/13/19
04/10/16
Hey plarium mega problems whit plarium play  my computer freeze up  dowloaded a version at the begenning and it worked but now does not help please like your game but cannot fonction whit plarum play at the moment 
Sep 13, 2019, 00:2309/13/19
04/10/16
we need a login logout button also please provide 
Sep 13, 2019, 01:5509/13/19
07/30/16

You will continue to use Flash on the desktop app even though it is not supported by Adobe?

Like someone said, a security nightmare and the Plarium app a large target.

Sep 13, 2019, 08:3109/13/19
02/20/17

Plarium Play is a disaster , every time i want to download it has a different problem ;-(

Sep 13, 2019, 08:3809/13/19
02/20/17

I tried you APP and was not happy.  My Desktop runs on Windows 7 and my Laptop runs on Windows 8.  I have tlred Windows 10 on a barrowed computor and did not like it.  so kept my older Windows programs. 

I do not like your APP.  I can only see one haven at a time and can not inlarge or schrink the Game Maps in Stormfall or Pirates.  This makes it hard to search around for Raids.  Makes it hard to find enemy Blockades and Seiges.  Game runs Faster in Chrome.  I can Hunt for attacks.  Building open faster in Chrome also.   Will the APP improve?  If not then in 2020 when Chrome stops supporting Flash, you will loose a lot of us players on older machines and programs.  

I Lost the ability to send notes to friends across servers.  These Notes are very helpful for those of us playing on other servers.  It also lets us chat with friends who have quit the servers we play and changed to another game servers.  Is the APP going to get that back?

Many of us would switch to the APP IF it worked on our older Computors and Laptops. 
AlinaCommunity Manager
Sep 13, 2019, 13:0609/13/19
05/21/19

RagnarRock said:

Now if only you can get the Plarium Play App to work mine stopped working this month when the app insisted on updating from 2.0 to 3.0 it would not update it would not uninstall completely either not even with advanced uninstaller now all it says when I try to install the app is that installation failed app already installed. I'm not the only person with this problem.

Hello!

Please try to delete it following Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

Let me know the result, please. Cheers!