All Categories

HTML5 WEBGL

HTML5 WEBGL

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Apr 2, 2021, 12:0304/02/21
10/31/14

HTML5 WEBGL

How far off is the HTML5 / WebGL project.

A reasonable amounts of games have succeeded in tranfering their games into the engine. Most performance related issues on WebGL have since been fixed. 

A stanalone flash application is very dangerous for every machine. We simple do not have machines that can run flash wrapped contents. It uses too many resources, consume too much power, and drains battery very fast. 

Not to mention the amount of memory that the flash player uses, which is unreasonably high. Its uses 45-75% of my memory, and this often cause crashes. 

The resources that it needs to run, too many, and my hard disk has suffered. Many players are now reporting seeing a SMART warning. 

Then there is issue of communication. I haven't chat with my league for three months now. Google translate is simply too far away, in another application. Communication has become imposible for many many leagues. Communication is central to any league. Without this, I fear that  many league in server 2, which are mostly international and multilingual will suffer. 

With this time of CoVID, many players needs a social aspect when they play. Having to copy things from one app to another is too inconvient. 

Speaking of convinience. I used to play this game everywhere with my phone on Puffin. This option is now gone. Now to play the game you have to be in front of a cmputer. This is rather incovieneint. Things change too quickly, and this is a real time strategy game. 

It has been months since an update from developers on this issue.  

Views
Comments
Comments
Apr 2, 2021, 18:3104/02/21
02/22/16

I will pass your query forward 

Apr 5, 2021, 01:1004/05/21
09/22/16

@ Oracle

The puffin option is still available - I'm using it now - albeit on my laptop.

As far as I know the phone version of Puffin should still work.. and their website does not indicate that the facility has been withdrawn for mobiles.

For the convenience of others.. the Puffin browser renders flash "in the cloud" and just displays the results on your device so flash is not installed on your device - remarkably safe to use.

AlinaCommunity Manager
Apr 5, 2021, 10:3304/05/21
Apr 5, 2021, 10:33(edited)
05/21/19

Hello, Oracle! Long time, no see 🙂  Puffin option is still available. You can use it either on your phone or on your PC. Also, I agree that nowadays social aspect of the game has become even more important than before. However, I don't see any difficulties in communicating with your league members if you play via Plarium Play. Finally, our reply on the state of things with HTML5 is still the same. Based on our research we consider playing via the app the best option at the moment. Of course, we'll keep on improving our HTML5 version. Please note that WebGL has been abandoned many years ago since it wasn't playable at all. Cheers! 

BiohazarDModerator
Apr 5, 2021, 15:2004/05/21
10/04/13
Alina

Hello, Oracle! Long time, no see 🙂  Puffin option is still available. You can use it either on your phone or on your PC. Also, I agree that nowadays social aspect of the game has become even more important than before. However, I don't see any difficulties in communicating with your league members if you play via Plarium Play. Finally, our reply on the state of things with HTML5 is still the same. Based on our research we consider playing via the app the best option at the moment. Of course, we'll keep on improving our HTML5 version. Please note that WebGL has been abandoned many years ago since it wasn't playable at all. Cheers! 

Thanks for the update.  

Apr 5, 2021, 16:0204/05/21
09/22/16

@ WickeD

The App has issues.. and I will concede that the browser has issues.. but the fact is that the browser has far fewer issues and therefore more upside (e.g. multiple tabs, etc.)

Apr 7, 2021, 12:1304/07/21
07/10/14

Well also running in a browser has a infinite support timeline. Can't really imagine a world in my lifetime where browsers aren't being supported.

The app is completely at the whim of whether Google continue to support Chromium (what the app uses) and in particular to support PepperFlash (what Chromium uses to deliver Flash content). That is a far less certain future, as Google could conclude it's no longer in their commercial interest to do so at any time.