All Categories

We need info on the future of the game

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Oct 22, 2020, 10:3810/22/20
07/10/14

As a league leader I am continually fielding questions from people about whether the game will continue past Dec 31 (end of flash). I don't just get those questions from members of my league but it's being increasingly asked by everyone you come in contact with in the game.

It's got to such a state, a lot of people are starting to discuss plans for what their "end of game" should look like. How they will go out with a bang, who they don't like and how to go out all guns blazing.

The original official statement saying the game was committed to continuing with Flash post EoL was highly unconvincing.

It was great to go beyond that and hear in the last couple of months that there are "two projects" being investigated, presumably to port the game off Flash so it has a guaranteed future. That gave me some hope.

But we need firm information and updates as to how these are progressing. We are virtually within 2 months of the possible end of the game and we have virtually very little info from Plarium. 

I have pointed out to people that, why would Plarium release new updates like Champ quests if the game was ending. But they just say that "they would keep releasing small updates to give the impression there was still commitment to the game".

The most difficult argument to counter is that if Plarium have a firm plan which they believe will be successful they would tell us about it. There is no logical reason not to communicate "good" news like that. The only reason to work in a cloud of secrecy is if there is no plan, or that the plans don't have a good chance of success.

Hopefully it's not the latter. So I urge you to share more details of what is going on. What are you working on? How is it going? When might it be ready. Do you want/need any help testing it?

We need more info urgently.

(the longer we have no more info, the worse the speculation becomes)

Views
Comments
Comments
Oct 22, 2020, 12:3910/22/20
Oct 22, 2020, 12:44(edited)
10/31/14

Porting the game has failed. We were informed about that eventuality a long time ago. They even tested the game on one of the games. 

Since that day we got zero feedback about the progress of porting. This is unprofessional. We need to know the future of this game, which we played for 7 years. 

• We need to know the options available on the table
  • the possibility of Plarium closing the game. 
  • We also need to know whether they will continue with flash
  • what is the risk involved with using flash, given the wannacry of 2017
  • And how are they going to protect us given hacks like the 
  • What is the probability of porting the game
  • And if they are porting, what is the progress. 

Oct 22, 2020, 13:4610/22/20
Oct 22, 2020, 13:47(edited)
07/10/14

In August they announced they were working on two project that were not the App (see this thread - it might have gone unnoticed in announcements by some).

https://plarium.com/forum/en/stormfall-age-of-war/54_-news-and-announcements/201621_important--our-plans-for-the-end-of-flash-support/

It doesn't explicitly say they are working on ports to new technology but I don't see what else those "projects" could be, as the post makes it clear they aren't app related. 

That announcement was in Aug we are now nearly end of Oct. Half the time to "D Day" expired since then.

AlinaCommunity Manager
Oct 22, 2020, 14:2210/22/20
05/21/19

Hi, guys! I understand you're concerned, but I would like to assure you that we do have a plan and we're actively working on it. We also have Plan B, so you won't be left without a solution, no worries here. 

As soon as we have a detailed instruction, we'll post it. It's quite possible soon you'll see good news from us. Cheers! 

Oct 22, 2020, 15:0410/22/20
10/31/14

Alina said:

Hi, guys! I understand you're concerned, but I would like to assure you that we do have a plan and we're actively working on it. We also have Plan B, so you won't be left without a solution, no worries here. 

As soon as we have a detailed instruction, we'll post it. It's quite possible soon you'll see good news from us. Cheers! 

I understand that these plans are a secret so sinister that no one in the game should know about it.  Why else would you need to hide this us from the players who have been playing this game for over 6 years?  

These plans are shrouded in mystery, secrecy and we are left to speculate about them. 

We do not know what they are. We do not know when we will be told what they are? We do not know when they will be ready. 

We do not know anything. 

• We need to know the options available on the table
  • The possibility of Plarium closing the game.  
  • We also need to know whether they will continue with flash 
  • what is the risk involved with using flash, given the wannacry of 2017 
  • And how are they going to protect us given hacks like the  
  • What is the probability of porting the game 
  • And if they are porting, what is the progress.  

I will understand if the plan is to continue with flash. If so, then you will need to answer the question of security.

Oct 22, 2020, 18:3510/22/20
Oct 22, 2020, 23:42(edited)
09/22/20

Ok , so here we go with the speculations and how that turns out :

1: WebGL             :  Semi-succesful but disappointing on gameplay therefor rejected .
2: Plarium Play     :  Albeit with some birthdefects one might say succesful but no chance of transferring accounts i.o.w you have to start from  scratch again 

3: Flash(wrapped): Will always remain a liability especially because of discontinuation of security-patches by Adobe  .

4: HTML5              :  ?????????????????

So with little over two months left ( for those that are either browser-connected or Gameroom ) tensions about where this is going are growing .

Keeping them in the dark is a BAD idea , because it will come to a point where they will decide to leave the game .
Leaving Plarium ( or whoever is in charge ) with a loss of revenue ( loss of revenue will result in discontinuation of the game / games ..too many examples of that to look back at ) 

I , for sure , will drop this game like a hot potato should it turn out that there is no (good) alternative .
It's not like the devs have been unaware of this situation .
Since 2017 it has been made publicly known that Flash would be EoL ...you don't have to be a rocketscientist to do the math .
3 years have past and in it 1 failed attempt ...that's it ? 

And now a shroud of mystery in which a lot is being promised but no results or at least a taste of things to come .

To me that looks like we're purposely being kept in the dark so that there won't be a mass-eviction of players ( read loss of revenue ) and Plarium can cash some more before they announce that there is no Plan B and decided to pull the plug . 

To conclude this : Either see your players go because they feel it will end , tell them it will end and expect mass abandonment of the game OR ...let us in on the plans for continuing the game after 2020 

Oct 22, 2020, 23:1210/22/20
12/22/14
Two months to go and no information is not a good look. 
Oct 22, 2020, 23:4410/22/20
08/09/15

i think of plarium play as a good one to begin with

it supports 10 accounts with ease to change to each and play 
Oct 23, 2020, 09:0710/23/20
10/31/14

fURY said:

Plarium Play is stll flash. You can continue with flash, but you will need to replace the investment that Adobe is putting in making Flash secure. 

Is this what Plarium is planning to do. To maintain security issues and vulnerabilities in flash?

Let us be reasonable fURY. Flash is hacked on a minimum of three times in a week. Plarium can't fix a raid bug from 2014. So how is Plarium going to keep us safe from North Korean hackers? Some of us access this game on large corporate networks. It will be a disaster if I would become a cause of my corporation being hacked because I love playing an MMORPG game.  

Oct 23, 2020, 09:0810/23/20
10/31/14
MorbidSniper said:

To conclude this : Either see your players go because they feel it will end , tell them it will end and expect mass abandonment of the game OR ...let us in on the plans for continuing the game after 2020 

I have a feeling we are being intentionally ignored. 
Oct 23, 2020, 09:3310/23/20
09/22/20

fURY said:

It WOULD be if it weren't for the fact that transferring accounts from Facebook/ Gameroom ( or any other ) is downright NOT possible .

Plarium will allow you to start a new account ( or 10 if you so choose ) but not continue your old account(s) .

And as such it will be a no-go for A LOT of players because they invested a huge amount of time and/or money already and are not likely to do so again .

MicModerator
Oct 23, 2020, 09:4610/23/20
02/22/19

Alina said:

Well...well...well , for me the Word of a Community Manager is enough insurance , and give me faith , so i am sure the game will not stop !

As for the plarium com platform is everything ok since there is plarium play !
Oct 23, 2020, 14:3610/23/20
Oct 23, 2020, 14:41(edited)
08/09/15

MorbidSniper said:

fURY said:

It WOULD be if it weren't for the fact that transferring accounts from Facebook/ Gameroom ( or any other ) is downright NOT possible .

Plarium will allow you to start a new account ( or 10 if you so choose ) but not continue your old account(s) .

And as such it will be a no-go for A LOT of players because they invested a huge amount of time and/or money already and are not likely to do so again .

would u be so kind to explain a few points for me ,as i tried to understand but it wasnt clear enough for me

are u saying facebook/gameroom players wont be able to play the game on the plarium play ?

i didnt know this,if that is so

how is that related to plarium.com players as we all can play the game from plarium play app,and this is forum which is for plarium.com players,sure everybody can use/read the materials.but issues are not related

i dnt see any problem specially for plarium.com players

is your concern for players in other platforms ? if not,how will it concern us plarium.com players ?
Oct 23, 2020, 14:3910/23/20
08/09/15
im taking a note of everything and will pass all the concerns to our game design team
Oct 23, 2020, 15:0910/23/20
Oct 23, 2020, 15:11(edited)
09/22/20

I tried transferring my game to Plarium Play and it was a no-go  , no matter what i tried i couldn't get my game ( started through FB ) to be opened in Plarium Play .

Reading the FAQ on Plarium it was confirmed that accounts started through anything else but Plarium's own site or app CAN NOT be transferred.

I'm not just talking for myself but for anyone who will find themselves in the same situation .

It will be  A LOT 

And instead of this veil of mystery , it would be a good idea for Plarium's technical department to start making it possible for players like myself to transfer their account or have them moved over ( that is if they honestly care about their players /money )

I guess being on Plarium Play ( or started there ) it gives you the advantage of being able to access your game through all , the other way around is not possible .

Oct 23, 2020, 15:5010/23/20
Oct 23, 2020, 15:56(edited)
08/09/15

MorbidSniper said:

I tried transferring my game to Plarium Play and it was a no-go  , no matter what i tried i couldn't get my game ( started through FB ) to be opened in Plarium Play .

Reading the FAQ on Plarium it was confirmed that accounts started through anything else but Plarium's own site or app CAN NOT be transferred.

I'm not just talking for myself but for anyone who will find themselves in the same situation .

It will be  A LOT 

And instead of this veil of mystery , it would be a good idea for Plarium's technical department to start making it possible for players like myself to transfer their account or have them moved over ( that is if they honestly care about their players /money )

I guess being on Plarium Play ( or started there ) it gives you the advantage of being able to access your game through all , the other way around is not possible .

oracle made a very good point ! i noted that and will take the concern to game team .because it touched a very sensitive matter

it is nice that ur concerned for facebook/gameroom players but for players here on plarium.com plarium play works and will work fine

now,about secrecy, a community manager just announced that they have a plan,plarium also announced some time back too

let her get back ,take one side of discussion and discuss,not just the points u mentioned,about everything.there might be things that other players have in mind

Regarding any other issue, moderators are players too,i play on plarium.com ! mic999 who replied prior to me is a facebook player.if something was to happen,it will happen to all of us too

but i assure you ! if a community manager says they have a plan then they do ! just wait for her to reply when she will be around

in the meantime,again.players here can and will be able to play from plarium play as long as they want

but still it dsnt mean im ignoring the issues,all of the discussion here will be sent to our game team

i hope for ur understanding and patience

Oct 23, 2020, 18:1810/23/20
Oct 23, 2020, 18:22(edited)
07/10/14

How can you seriously believe that "Flash" is the answer to the "End of Flash" (for those that didn't pick it up yet, the app runs on pepperflash)

Adobe have announced that "Flash-based content will be blocked from running in Adobe Flash Player after the EOL Date". So your first major problem is that it appears Adobe have written something into flash that stops it working after 31 Dec. Google "Adobe Flash Timebomb" for yourself.

And btw they don't do that to be annoying. They are doing it because anyone using Flash after EoL, will be exposing themselves to MASSIVE SECURITY RISK, from an unsupported product that is known to have significant vulnerabilities.

FYI you are not legally allowed to view, modify, or distribute Flash without Adobe's approval. So it will not be LEGAL for Plarium to continue to update and support Flash as they have suggested they will do to keep the app running.

Nor is it credible that a company that at that point had failed to be able to do a port will suddenly have the technical knowledge to maintain a major software platform (its akin to knowing how to drive, compared to being a mechanic.......... on the international space station).

And how would Plarium financially support Flash? Adobe have funded it by supplying services to the entire IT industry. Plarium are going to deliver the double digit security patches required DAILY to keep flash running, off just the revenue from these games (games that didn't even warrant the small financial investment of a proper port)?

The entire IT industry (not just games developers) have been furiously porting applications off Flash. But they are all idiots because all that you needed to do was "keep using Flash"?

A challenge for anyone interested, google to see if you can find a single other major/reputable games developer that thinks it's solution to Flash EoL is to continue to use Flash.

Can we stop this farce now please. 

Oct 23, 2020, 19:4910/23/20
09/22/20

As for those that still are not getting it or think it doesn't concern them because they are on plarium .com ...there is a vast majority of players who are not on Plarium Play or Plarium.com !!!

Just because a CM says they have a plan doesn't mean anything ...i have a plan too , multiple to be honest, whether they will be executed is a whole different ballgame .

3 yrs since Flash was labeled to be EoL at the end of 2020 ...3 YEARS !!!
A failed conversion attempt 
And now 2 months before deadline : We have a PLAN ?!?!?!?!

Come on ..... a plan needs to be executed and tested to work ....and that would magically happen in 2 months where there was 3 years to do so ???
And shrouding it in darkness makes it all even less likely .

You want this discussion to stop ?? Lift the veil before it is too late .

If you can mention you have a plan , you can also explain what it is ...especially if it is 2 minutes to midnight !

Oct 23, 2020, 22:4610/23/20
08/09/15

theyr designing new everything everyday ! theyll be announcing a new forum which is not even needed in my opinion to better the environment players have some activity in.if a game was about to end owners wouldnt have invested in something like new forum 2 months before flash end...

dj moody used an analogy,let me use one too

all these is like a stadium full with people when someone in middle screams a bomb/an earthquake,anything ,the casualty there when people trying to get out would be much more than a catastrophe that might have been caused by the actual announced thing

u have concerns,so do i,im a player too

so i take note of everything that everything that everyone says and will try my best theyr heard by game team.just because im debating does not mean i do not accept the facts ! 

but when it goes beyond that its just creating more panic

a plarium representative already said they have plans !

Oct 23, 2020, 23:2710/23/20
Oct 25, 2020, 15:00(edited)
11/22/13

A forum update/upgrade is honestly nothing compared to a game,, a rather poor comparison..

I have and will continue to bite my tongue about the games future,,, you can search and read it elsewhere (Edited )

One thing I have not looked into , or seen mentioned.

What is the parent company doing???? (aristocrat)