All Categories

Should Stormfall have an Endgame?

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Aug 6, 2020, 09:1508/06/20
10/31/14

In MMORPG games Endgame is a term used to denote the final stage of a game. In this stage, few players remain, the game gets harder and harder as players fight a boss or complete final quests. The game doesn't really end after this, but a new game is made and players continue playing there from the beginning.  

I am going to leave this link here, which explains what is an endgame. Anyone who needs to understand what is an endgame is welcome to read it. I couldn't find a similliar link which was once shared by Oberon, which also explains endgame. The link was on Plarium's newsletters. 

https://yukaichou.com/gamification-study/4-experience-phases-gamification-4-endgame/

Should Stormfall have an Endgame? How should it be like, and what should happen after. 

Views
Comments
Comments
Aug 6, 2020, 09:5908/06/20
10/31/14

I think we should have an endgame.  

As to how it should be like. 

New Beacons should be placed on the map. These beacons will be level 10, unlike ours which are level 5. There could be thousands of these beacons. All these beacons will belong to Bular. The map will look like this

So how will it work?

Bular will start attacking our beacons in larger and stronger waves. If he takes leagues beacons, then he will upgrade the beacons to level 10. Leagues can then fight to retake the beacons. upgrade it to level 5 and hold it. For this to work, Bular will need to attack in stronger waves and with bigger armies. And there will be many more tournaments. This endgame can be phased in over the year in 2021. Every three months, Bular will attack in stronger waves. By September 2021, the game ends, and a whichever league or coalition defeated more of Bular beacons is crowned the winner. 

What happens after

Plarium makes a new game. They can even call it Stormfall Age of Darkness. They can set a launch date, say May 2022. We will all start from the beginning on that server. But the game must be made on a Unity engine. If Plarium can't do this, then they sell the rights to another company that can do this.

What happens to Stormfall Age of War. 

After an endgame, players can still stick around playing farmville. Your castle will still exist and you will still be able to use it. However, main focus will be placed on the new game. So if Plarium decides to make a new champion, it will only exist in the new game version. 

Why Should Plarium implement Endgame?

The current game is super boring. And flash is ending soon. I don't want to make this post about flash, so let's stay away from talking about it. 

Aug 6, 2020, 10:4908/06/20
02/28/16

Oracle said:

new game is made and players continue playing there from the beginning. 

that's not endgame. I would say it's the opposite of it. If you have to wipe a game to keep it interesting that game doesnt have engaging endgame or any at all.

Stormfall has an endgame, not the best one as you can see by the activity these days. One of its elements provided by plarium is league ranking. Main one and brawl one. Thats were most activity is focused. Brawl is plarium's version of "playing from the beginning". Each week you have a go at No1 spot. Unfortunately outcome of this competition is well known from the beginning as coining is everything.

Coincidentally coining also made another element of endgame, diplomacy, way less important than it used to be. I've heard of people in this game spending every waking hour of their life in ts. Not my cup of tea but for some thats what was/is most engaging in this game. Now with one man armies capable of taking beacons with negligible losses who needs diplo?

I wish there was more to the endgame, everyone is i suspect. Imho making engaging and immersive game loop would require it to be accessible and somewhat skill based without p2w elements which we all know wont happen with this ip at this stage.

I think you still might get your definition of endgame with end date of flash support approaching tho.

Aug 6, 2020, 11:1208/06/20
10/31/14

Silverhand said:

Oracle said:

new game is made and players continue playing there from the beginning. 

that's not endgame. I would say it's the opposite of it. If you have to wipe a game to keep it interesting that game doesnt have engaging endgame or any at all.

Stormfall has an endgame, not the best one as you can see by the activity these days. One of its elements provided by plarium is league ranking. Main one and brawl one. Thats were most activity is focused. Brawl is plarium's version of "playing from the beginning". Each week you have a go at No1 spot. Unfortunately outcome of this competition is well known from the beginning as coining is everything.

Coincidentally coining also made another element of endgame, diplomacy, way less important than it used to be. I've heard of people in this game spending every waking hour of their life in ts. Not my cup of tea but for some thats what was/is most engaging in this game. Now with one man armies capable of taking beacons with negligible losses who needs diplo?

I wish there was more to the endgame, everyone is i suspect. Imho making engaging and immersive game loop would require it to be accessible and somewhat skill based without p2w elements which we all know wont happen with this ip at this stage.

I think you still might get your definition of endgame with end date of flash support approaching tho.

There are many different types of end games. Many different games have many different types of Endgames. Eve Online has a very dynamic endgame compared to Command and Conquer. I think you probably do not understand what is an endgame. 

The artile I posted above explains what an Endgame is. 

It can also be that you understand what an endgame is, and do not agree with my version. It will be great if you make a suggestion of an Endgame that would suite Stormfall. 

As for you saying that league ranking, beacons(Territory), and tournaments are endgames. They are not. Every game has league rankings, leagues, and tournaments. Plarium is just one of the hundreds of massively multiplayer online role-playing games out there.

The link I shared also explains the evolution of the Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Every MMORPG end up losing activity towards the endgame. It happens even in games like Fortnite. In MMORPG games like Fortnite, an endgame is when the best players in the world fight each other in an E-sports sort of tournament. In the end, the best player is crowned then a new season is announced and players do this again and again. 

In games like C&C, leagues get to downgrade a massive territory, and the league that does that is crowned as the winner. Then they make a new server and players start over again. This is what I want Plarium to do. 

Aug 6, 2020, 11:1508/06/20
02/28/16

Oracle said:

beacon idea

Not a fan of new game every few months. I would like to see more pve content added to endgame. Your beacon idea is OK but i would modify it. Give each player lets say 100 unique, pve only dragons and griffons. Let leagues strategize and work together to identify best approach to capturing and holding as many as possible beacons with balur attacking with stronger and stronger waves of enemies. Every month or so the best league gets unique hero skin or logo detail, maybe some buffs but without the game breaking ones tho. And of course you cant buy unique units.

Aug 6, 2020, 15:2008/06/20
Aug 6, 2020, 15:36(edited)
01/10/17

I have one set of questions What exactly do you expect to be the End result of your proposal ? 

Is it to limit the effects of Coiners?

To maybe declaw the larger Leagues?

To maybe create a punishment for those that dared to of spent Years becoming the powerhouses that they are ?

Or maybe limit the incentive for people to want to even hold beacons ?

Or some other Objective that escapes my grasp ?

And What is C&C?

Aug 6, 2020, 17:0108/06/20
Aug 6, 2020, 17:04(edited)
07/10/14

We already kind of have an endgame.

You do all your castle stuff. Progress your arts and do all the solo achievements.

The next logical progression is you then you get into the league stuff. Beacons and rankings, working the team objectives. And because it's a wargame that never really ends. 

That is why the beacons element of the game is so important and force limits (and end of beacon massacre) were so important to keeping the game alive (and why some of the recent stuff is so dangerous). Without, no retention of veteran players.

Having said that I certainly wouldn't say no to more and new content for veteran players. Most of the updates just add something to the shop, we haven't had significant new content since champs really.

Btw I not sure the term "end game" is supposed to literally mean "the end of the game". I think it's supposed to refer to high end content that keeps verteran players interested and engaged. So its kind of the opposite, stuff that stop you from ending.

From the link you posted:

The Endgame is about endless fun

Outside of tilting game balance to the point people can't compete so they give up, I don't see why the game needs to end, or end anytime soon (apart from the looming technical difficulties).

Aug 6, 2020, 17:1108/06/20
10/31/14

CertainDeath said:

I have one set of questions What exactly do you expect to be the End result of your proposal ? 

To maybe create a punishment for those that dared to of spent Years becoming the powerhouses that they are ?

And What is C&C?

All the highlighted yellow questions are the same version of the first question. To answer your question, the purpose of an End-Game can be explained using the Octalysis model forwarded by  Yu-Kai Chou. If you are a hardcore, mechanic junkie gamer like me, then you will know who  Yu-Kai Chou is. 

But to put it simply. Games evolve, in this evolution of a game we have different stages. It doesn't matter how many stages one say a game has, some say 4 some say 8. In each stage of a game, players have different reasons to play the game. In the first stage, players could play the game and spend money because they want their characters and leagues to have the best attributes or multipliers that make it easier and more fun to play. 

In the middle stages, players would have different reasons to spend money and to play the game. As a developer, you need to make sure that your game is designed in such a way to accommodate those stages. If for example, a developer doesn't implement a mechanism or a feature that will enable the End-game stage in the last evolution of a game, the game will fail.

I think I answered your question. 

As for what is C&C, its Command and Conquer, a game that is over 25 years. It had over 10 endgames and it has launched a new season, Command & Conquer Remastered Collection

Aug 6, 2020, 17:3308/06/20
10/31/14

DJ Moody said:

We already kind of have an endgame.

You do all your castle stuff. Progress your arts and do all the solo achievements.

The next logical progression is you then you get into the league stuff. Beacons and rankings, working the team objectives. And because it's a wargame that never really ends. 

That is why the beacons element of the game is so important and force limits (and end of beacon massacre) were so important to keeping the game alive (and why some of the recent stuff is so dangerous). Without, no retention of veteran players.

Having said that I certainly wouldn't say no to more and new content for veteran players. Most of the updates just add something to the shop, we haven't had significant new content since champs really.

Btw I not sure the term "end game" is supposed to literally mean "the end of the game". I think it's supposed to refer to high end content that keeps verteran players interested and engaged. So its kind of the opposite, stuff that stop you from ending.

From the link you posted:

The Endgame is about endless fun

Outside of tilting game balance to the point people can't compete so they give up, I don't see why the game needs to end, or end anytime soon (apart from the looming technical difficulties).

You are correct, and End game doesn't mean the game ends. And I explained that in my first comments above. MMORPG games don't have an end. They are forever games. 

However, they have the ultimate feature that players strike for. I don't think league based achievements and beacons are an End-game. They are simply an element of a game that every game has. 

So we don't have an End game in Stormfall. 

Endless fun in my proposal above will be leagues fighting to take beacons from Bular and then keeping them. While at the same time, protecting them from other leagues. So in other words, this third force that we need to defeat will be an End-Game. 
Aug 6, 2020, 17:5208/06/20
Aug 6, 2020, 19:16(edited)
01/10/17

To me it looks like your just trying to introduce a force into the game That attacks Only Beacon holders And maybe cause a diminishing of the Larger leagues troops and point of opportunity for others to attack them at the same time ! 

Wouldn't it be fairer to have castles attacked  instead of Beacons ? or doesn't that go along with you objective which really seems to be to make the Large leagues to lose what they has earned and worked hard to obtain and thus Kill the game.

Exactly what makes you think that people would want to start over ? 

I think there would be such a revolt that no one would buy another anything ! 

And without a means to generate any cash flow this free to Play game would Go Poof 

Nope I think it's a bad Idea !

BTW I'm not a Coiner I don't think I have spent more than $20 my whole time Playing

Aug 6, 2020, 18:3608/06/20
01/10/17

Not to mention the Copyright Laws Plarium would need to deal with For plagiarizing from other games !

Nope absolutely a no go no way no how.

If I wanted to play a game like that I would already be there !

But I'm not 

Aug 6, 2020, 20:2808/06/20
Aug 6, 2020, 21:35(edited)
11/22/13

The basic, bottom issue with any sort of 'end game scenario' is the platform.

There are many successful games out there utilizing world and server scenarios for closure and restarts, But you know what those standards or requirements are at launch. 

On the other hand, there are also 'continuous' games, such as this that survive(?) with updates/upgrades.

With either scenario,the platform must be stable and accessible to the masses for the foreseeable future. 

Browser games do NOT utilize their own 'apps', this is the crux of any further discussion.

**disclaimer**

These are my opinions/thoughts, discussable but not debatable

BiohazarDModerator
Aug 7, 2020, 05:4208/07/20
Aug 7, 2020, 05:43(edited)
10/04/13
Oracle said:

CertainDeath said:

And What is C&C?

All the highlighted yellow questions are the same version of the first question. To answer your question, the purpose of an End-Game can be explained using the Octalysis model forwarded by  Yu-Kai Chou. If you are a hardcore, mechanic junkie gamer like me, then you will know who  Yu-Kai Chou is. 

But to put it simply. Games evolve, in this evolution of a game we have different stages. It doesn't matter how many stages one say a game has, some say 4 some say 8. In each stage of a game, players have different reasons to play the game. In the first stage, players could play the game and spend money because they want their characters and leagues to have the best attributes or multipliers that make it easier and more fun to play. 

In the middle stages, players would have different reasons to spend money and to play the game. As a developer, you need to make sure that your game is designed in such a way to accommodate those stages. If for example, a developer doesn't implement a mechanism or a feature that will enable the End-game stage in the last evolution of a game, the game will fail.

I think I answered your question. 

As for what is C&C, its Command and Conquer, a game that is over 25 years. It had over 10 endgames and it has launched a new season, Command & Conquer Remastered Collection

There are some games that go through cycles like that, but I don't think that would work for Stormfall.  It takes years to get your castle and lost arts leveled up, with a decent amount of time or money invested.  If they decided to wipe peoples progress and start the game over (with a new season or whatever you want to call it), I doubt many would come back.  
Aug 8, 2020, 12:1508/08/20
Aug 8, 2020, 12:41(edited)
08/09/15

i agree with certain death  and biohazard both

ah and the many years i spent on lost arts,millions of troops,their rank ,castle progress

if i had to do it all over again,just to do the things im already doing in a new place yeah,no ,count me out

i wouldnt come back 
Aug 8, 2020, 16:2908/08/20
04/23/20
If you want an end game, point your troops at a beacon and have fun til you're out of clicks. 
Aug 8, 2020, 22:2208/08/20
08/09/15
MicModerator
Aug 9, 2020, 15:3908/09/20
02/22/19

Reverse Midas said:

If you want an end game, point your troops at a beacon and have fun til you're out of clicks. 

Somehow my Lord  i'm agree with you , if someone want an endgame can do that ''crash all  action ''

Me personally i have patience to see when the devs will come with new updates and   new tournaments  , 

We are ok with the beacons so we don't need  an endgame with BULAR  , and honestly i don't like neither  something like that 

BiohazarDModerator
Aug 9, 2020, 18:2008/09/20
10/04/13
Reverse Midas said:

My castle would also work if anybody is feeling tired of having troops ;)
Aug 9, 2020, 21:4708/09/20
04/23/20
Go take another two year break. 
Aug 9, 2020, 21:4908/09/20
10/31/14

The question again. 

Should Stormfall have an Endgame? How should it be like, and what should happen after. 

Not this

Should Stormfall  End? How should it be like, and what should happen after

(The qiestion in blue is not my question, if you found an MMORPG that end, please tell me about it, sometimes, when I care. Because I don't know any mmorpg that END. There are still MMORPG from 1999 that still play, MMORPG don't end. And I don't want to talk about game end in mmorpg.