Change the NAME of this Thread Topic

Search
Moderators for Stormfall: Age of War wanted
Jun 8, 2019, 15:4306/08/19
04/16/16

Change the NAME of this Thread Topic

Maybe changing the name of this thread from :  Game Discussion     

to something else like :   Discussion of the Game    or    Game Conversation

This might help the Spam from coming in here.      There doesn't seem to be Spam going into any of the other threads so maybe it gets in here by the thread name ?

Just a thought

Views
Comments
Comments
BiohazarDModerator
Jun 10, 2019, 04:1906/10/19
10/04/13
Jelly Baby said:

Maybe changing the name of this thread from :  Game Discussion     

to something else like :   Discussion of the Game    or    Game Conversation

This might help the Spam from coming in here.      There doesn't seem to be Spam going into any of the other threads so maybe it gets in here by the thread name ?

Just a thought

Pretty sure it's just because this is the most active section, I doubt changing the name would do anything. 
Jun 10, 2019, 16:2506/10/19
Jun 10, 2019, 16:27(edited)
04/16/16

"Pretty Sure" and "I Doubt" are not very positive forward thinking words.  

You could give it a try and change the Thread name and then say "well that didn't work, what else can we try to prevent this Spam from coming into this thread?"

Evidently, you never know
what will or will not work in this game unless you change it...    just like game updates  huh?  

I'm pretty sure that update didn't work because the game is too active.  I doubt fixing the update would do anything.

Jun 11, 2019, 09:1206/11/19
03/05/19
Jelly Baby said:

"Pretty Sure" and "I Doubt" are not very positive forward thinking words.  

You could give it a try and change the Thread name and then say "well that didn't work, what else can we try to prevent this Spam from coming into this thread?"

Evidently, you never know
what will or will not work in this game unless you change it...    just like game updates  huh?  

I'm pretty sure that update didn't work because the game is too active.  I doubt fixing the update would do anything.

Hello, Lord. Thank you for this suggestion. We're not going to change the name of this thread since "Game Discussion" is a universal thread name for all our game forums. Moreover, as Biohazard mentioned above, name changing won't prevent us from receiving spam messages. 
Jun 13, 2019, 17:1706/13/19
04/16/16

125 +  SPAM    posts TODAY alone by    {{ 1 }}    account

Jun 14, 2019, 15:5506/14/19
04/16/16

Boris,

Could you clarify this statement and explain how you know this would not prevent Spam ?

Sure the Spammers can create " x " number of castles on the system, but to get through:

Surely that takes a sifisticated program and then to get the pictures correct...

Maybe now we need a 2nd layer to authenticate any post in the Game Discussion Thread... 

after going through "reCAPTCHA"... 

now have the game send a 6 digit code to the email address associated with the account posting to the thread and add 10 min time limit to put the code in ?

Jun 18, 2019, 09:5306/18/19
03/05/19

Jelly Baby said:

Boris,

Could you clarify this statement and explain how you know this would not prevent Spam ?

Sure the Spammers can create " x " number of castles on the system, but to get through:

Surely that takes a sifisticated program and then to get the pictures correct...

Maybe now we need a 2nd layer to authenticate any post in the Game Discussion Thread... 

now have the game send a 6 digit code to the email address associated with the account posting to the thread and add 10 min time limit to put the code in ?

Thank you, my Lord. I'll forward this information accordingly. Thank you for your active position on this game forum. 

BiohazarDModerator
Jul 3, 2019, 19:5607/03/19
10/04/13

Jelly Baby said:

Boris,

A lot of bot programs don't actually attempt to solve the captchas, there are companies in other countries (those with very low average pay rates) that provide human workers to solve them at a price of like $1 per 1000 (0.1 cents each) so they just contract it out to those.  I don't know if whatever profits they're making from sending out advertising spam covers that cost, but it probably does since they keep coming back.  

Creating an program to receive the code from an email address and put it into the textbox would only take a competent programmer a few minutes, so I can't see that slowing them down.  A better option would be to make you receive the code as an sms (text to your phone) and only allow one account to be linked to a particular phone number.  Of course the problem with this is it means people who don't own a cellphone can't post on the forums, but it would get rid of the bots pretty quickly.  
Jul 13, 2019, 12:3307/13/19
02/22/16

It doesn't matter what you name the topic it will not stop the spam. I have deleted spam from about 8 of the Forums Thread topics they drop the spam where ever they think it will get seen ! I've even deleted some in the suggestions area. 

I do appreciate your thoughts on this problem but changing the  forum thread name unfortunately  will not have the effect you seek Jelly Baby.