This topic is closed

Win 2,000 Drachmas!

16 Replies
Basileus Leonidas
Administrator
28 November, 2016, 6:17 PM UTC

Leonidas found an ancient treasure!

He carefully examined one of the coins and saw that it was dated 20 BC. That is when he realized they were fake! How did he know?

2,000 Drachmas will go to one of the Archons to leave a comment and give the correct answer!

War doesn't determine who is right - only who is left.
UTC +0:00
kentcneal
28 November, 2016, 7:39 PM UTC

Leonidas would have known immediately that the coin(s) were fake when he saw "XX B.C." on the coin.  Twenty years before Christ, Christ was unknown. While the Greek symbol for 20 is "K", and the Roman symbol is "XX", the letters B and C do not appear in the ancient Greek or Roman alphabets.  However, if the coins are really made of gold, then they would be valuable regardless of their origin.  But, if the coins are fake, I would be suspicious of their metal content.

UTC +4:00
Wy San Luis
29 November, 2016, 12:55 AM UTC

First, Leonidas was born more than 500 years before that date.

Second, people before the current era don't use BC in dating.
"Those who seek to die will live, and those who seek to live will die."
UTC +0:00
lefeubleu
29 November, 2016, 4:22 AM UTC
Before Christ, people didn't know about Him, therefore they didn't count time this way...
UTC -4:00
atila450453barbaro2016
29 November, 2016, 9:49 PM UTC

Historically, the Spartans used lead coins.

UTC +2:00
ANKAN
29 November, 2016, 11:20 PM UTC

1. Any king living before Christ did not know about Christ. So no king would issue any coin with "B.C." marking as a reference to time.

2. Leonidas himself did not know about Christ . So if he came across such a coin then it would perplex him cause he don't even know what B.C. means.

3. Now Basileus Leonidas (plarium forum admin) knows what "B.C" means, so he posted this question to puzzle us.

So what all these points lead us to ? ????

?

?

2000 drachma

Win The War Within
UTC +7:00
Parmenion
30 November, 2016, 6:34 PM UTC
B.C.: who is Christ? Never heard this name. The right name in my time is: ADL = anno domini leonidas. ok, it's latin, but better as B.C.
Astyanax
1 December, 2016, 7:52 AM UTC

If  Leonidas, obviously, could not know what BC stands for, he certainly would not conclude, based on that sign, that the coins are fake or that XX signifies a Roman print date (let alone one which is  long after his birth). He would simply disregard the sign, which he would not understand. Sounds to me that Plarium's "Leo", who issues the  questions, has tricked-questioned himself as usual, instead of tricking the users.

PS

There was no such thing as "counterfeit" currency in antiquity. As long as they were made of precious metals (which any of Leonidas' contemporaries would know right away) no one would care about the marks on the coins or which local king has printed them.

Leonidas would likely bite the coin to check if it's soft (gold) or not and relate that to its weight in hand, and that would be it...blind people would do the same, so this question with its visual hints is irrelevant.

UTC -4:00
atila450453barbaro2016
1 December, 2016, 3:20 PM UTC

On the one hand the year 20 BC was the time of Augustus, Emperor of Rome, two dynasties of Spartan kings had been extinguished, Greece was by then a Roman province; On the other hand, Sparta in the time of Leonidas, used as lead coins, I know why I have a documentary on Sparta on DVD, ie lead coins, but to use drachmas would use Athenian drachmas or his own with the seal And symbol of Sparta.

terrytapp27
2 December, 2016, 3:36 AM UTC

If above is the coin he found the tell tale signs would be:

1) BC would not be printed on the coin "BC" means before Christ, how do they know they came before Christ since Christ was not born yet.

2)  Besides Leonides  would have lived way before XX BC l am guessing 400-500 BC  (that is just a guess so if you want to correct me go ahead) So that coin would be over 400 years later after his death. 

3) Plus you used Roman Numerals should they not be in Greek?

*I am sure there may be other tell tale signs but those are the first ones that stand out and were easy finds for me. 

UTC -7:00
atila450453barbaro2016
2 December, 2016, 9:44 PM UTC

I keep my previous position.

atila450453barbaro2016
6 December, 2016, 4:05 PM UTC

I still keep what I said in the previous comment.

fightclubfan.33
8 December, 2016, 8:53 AM UTC
The use of B.C., or more prevelant now B.C.E, would not be found on a coin minted in that year because at the time the minter would have no forward knowledge of how time would be tracked in the future. For example What we refer to as World War One was called The Great War during the time it was being fought since they didn't know there would be a second one. Therefore the coin is a fake.
Joeball
UTC +5:00
petitjoueur3
13 December, 2016, 12:36 PM UTC

During Leonidas period or before, coins are not printed on both side.

Only one side is marked
petitjoueur deviendra grand :D
UTC +1:00
kjm
18 December, 2016, 8:46 AM UTC

If the coin says 'BC' we believe it means 'Before Christ'. But the maker of the coin could not know that event before it happened -  when/where Jesus Chris would die on the cross. The maker would need to talk to an oracle to know the future, but not likely. (only the Great King Leonidas and other royalty or elite soldiers could do that).  So it was made before the event happened- not likely.

UTC +9:00
atila450453barbaro2016
19 December, 2016, 2:54 AM UTC

I maintain and maintain my position and my opinion until further notice.

Jason Bullet
Administrator
26 December, 2016, 11:11 AM UTC

It is time to announce the result of our competition!

2,000 Drachmas are going to ANKAN!

Congratulations!

Please note that I will be unable to respond to your private messages (with the exception of announcing the results of contests), review your tickets, or check your account information. All technical issues should be directed to our Support Team.
1667651 users registered; 34038 topics; 253989 posts; our newest member:lemmy1