Map not panning to selected coordinates

Search
Moderators for Sparta: War of Empires
Moderators wanted!
Feb 28, 2017, 05:3602/28/17

Summary: 

Map will not pan to a target when selecting coordinates in a form or view.

Details:

For the last few weeks, I have been experiencing a bug which is a bit difficult to pin down since it isn't readily reproducible.

When selecting coordinates, usually (but necessarily) in reports, the map view will not pan to the selected city (or capital, emporium, Persian position, pantheon), but will remain at the last map coordinates shown.  

Although this will occur ONLY when and if a position on the map has been viewed previously, it will not NECESSARILY occur every time.

An example:

1. I click the coordinates of a player (A) in a battle report. 

2. The app switches to map view (if not active) and pans to that position. 

3. I select a different player (B) in a battle report. 

4. The app switches to map view (if not active) but remains at the position of previous location (A). 

The above example will work equally no matter where one selects the coordinates; a battle report, a player from the list of coalition members, the coordinates of a Pantheon, Capital or Persian Position.

But the difficulty pinpointing this bug is that: Step 3 (see above) does not necessarily occur every time (and I have not found a common denominator). One could easily jump to 5, 10 or 15 locations on the map before encountering this bug. The only consistency is that, once this occurs, it will repeat therefore making it impossible to jump to a new map location. 

Although a refresh resolves this, that is just a stop-gap measure, after 10 or so map pans, it will pop up again.

Was wondering if anyone else is having this issue? 

Cheers

Views
Comments
Comments
Feb 28, 2017, 06:0002/28/17
11/15/15

Dio,

I had same issues too. But i use arrow keys instead of refreshing. If the map stuck to a position, i will use arrow keys to just move, then it will be back as usual. 

But, yes there is a problem exists in hellas.

With regards

Sarath 
Feb 28, 2017, 06:3202/28/17

sarathps04 said:

Dio,

I had same issues too. But i use arrow keys instead of refreshing. If the map stuck to a position, i will use arrow keys to just move, then it will be back as usual. 

With regards

Sarath 

Mornin' Sarath,

that's a good workaround since refreshes not only take a few seconds but also reset other presets, tyvm! I'll try it as soon as the issue manifests again (which should be any moment now :-), presumably it will work with my tablet's soft-keyboard as well.

Thanks & cheers
Dio

Feb 28, 2017, 07:0102/28/17
11/15/15

Diomedes said:

sarathps04 said:

Dio,

With regards

Sarath 

Mornin' Sarath,

that's a good workaround since refreshes not only take a few seconds but also reset other presets, tyvm! I'll try it as soon as the issue manifests again (which should be any moment now :-), presumably it will work with my tablet's soft-keyboard as well.

Thanks & cheers
Dio

Morning Dio,

Try it and let me know whether it works or not. I know, it will work, at least it works for me.

Feb 28, 2017, 09:5702/28/17
11/17/16
sarathps04 said:

Morning Dio,

Try it and let me know whether it works or not. I know, it will work, at least it works for me.

I use the arrows myself and it works perfectly fine for me too! 
Feb 28, 2017, 10:5202/28/17
11/15/15

Xena said:

sarathps04 said:

Morning Dio,

I use the arrows myself and it works perfectly fine for me too! 

Good to hear that....

Alyona KolomiitsevaCommunity Manager
Feb 28, 2017, 11:1302/28/17
09/17/15
Hi, Dio! Thank you for the detailed report. I could not reproduce the issue after opening 25 coords from reports, but I'll keep trying :)
Feb 28, 2017, 15:1902/28/17

Alyona Kolomiitseva said:

Hi, Dio! Thank you for the detailed report. I could not reproduce the issue after opening 25 coords from reports, but I'll keep trying :)

Yes, the non-reproducible bugs are a dev's nightmare. In any case, Sarath's workaround does the job nicely (TYVM !), playing mostly on a convertible without a docked keyboard, I never thought of that.

Cheers
Dio

Feb 28, 2017, 15:4702/28/17
11/15/15
Diomedes said:

Alyona Kolomiitseva said:

Yes, the non-reproducible bugs are a dev's nightmare. In any case, Sarath's workaround does the job nicely (TYVM !), playing mostly on a convertible without a docked keyboard, I never thought of that.

Cheers
Dio

Mar 16, 2017, 10:3703/16/17

Had the same issues for month. thanks for the workaround, will give it a try!

i could reproduce the error as following:

when i do raids i have apache open office 4 started to edit an excel-sheet. if i am on the world-map and switch the tabs from open office to chrome and back then the map "freezes" as mentioned above.

maybe that helps anyone to fix this in the future.

Alyona KolomiitsevaCommunity Manager
Mar 16, 2017, 13:2103/16/17
09/17/15
Klaatu said:

when i do raids i have apache open office 4 started to edit an excel-sheet. if i am on the world-map and switch the tabs from open office to chrome and back then the map "freezes" as mentioned above.

Thanks for the way to reproduce! I'll give it a try! 
Mar 16, 2017, 23:2903/16/17
11/17/16

Klaatu said:

Yes same happens to me. I have my Excel document open when I raid and when I switch tabs the map freezes.

But I use the up and down arrows to unfreeze it and everything is ok.

Doesn't happen all the times that I switch tabs but happens quite many.
Mar 16, 2017, 23:3803/16/17

Xena said:

Klaatu said:

Yes same happens to me. I have my Excel document open when I raid and when I switch tabs the map freezes.

But I use the up and down arrows to unfreeze it and everything is ok.

Doesn't happen all the times that I switch tabs but happens quite many.

Precisely, but this haphazard reaction makes it particularly difficult to pin down. If OOo is indeed a way to replicate this reliably, that would be a help. I had previously and tentatively ascribed this to Flash, but OOo does not use Flash in its web interface AFAIK.