IMP information about battle calculations

Search
Moderators for Sparta: War of Empires
Moderators wanted!
Apr 24, 2015, 16:0504/24/15
02/02/15

IMP information about battle calculations

Archon!

Rumors have reached me from across Hellas that many of you believe the formula used to calculate the outcome of battles is unjust.

We have raised the topic of recalculating battle outcome statistics many times.

So let us have a look at the present situation:

1.Imbalance. When two armies collide, the stronger side suffers very few losses, while the weaker opponent returns home without even sandals girding their feet.
Let us consider the following examples:

Example A: During an attack consisting of 10 Agema Horsemen with 16,800 OP against 600 Mounted Peltasts with 352,200 DP, all 10 Agema Horsemen and around 6 Mounted Peltasts would end up dead.

And now let’s translate this into the OP and DP. The attacking side would lose 16,800 OP and the defender would only lose 3,522 DP.

Example B: When defending with 25 Mounted Peltasts against 200 Agema Horsemen, the attacker would suffer almost no losses, while the defender would lose his entire army. As each side is taking part in the battle, they should both should suffer losses of some sort.

2. Coalition Challenges. The calculation during the Coalition Challenges is far from being ideal now. This results in many coalitions ignoring these challenges altogether. So why have them when no one is taking part?

3. Pantheons and attack limits.
Here we have two sides of the same coin - Attackers and Defenders. One side says that the current situation leaves them almost powerless, and the other seems to have no issues at all. It remains incredibly difficult to capture a well defended Pantheon. Theoretically it is possible, however no one would be willing to take such a risk. What do we end up with as a result? Hundreds of Pantheons with Units sitting around doing nothing instead of repelling hostile attacks.

I have a few advisors who think they know how to turn this situation around, spark more wars, and make losses more balanced.

While I could make these changes with the simplest snap of my fingers, I first would love to hear your comments on this situation and discuss with you, Archons, how you think losses should be calculated.

Views
Comments
Comments
Apr 24, 2015, 16:1304/24/15
Dec 29, 2018, 16:42(edited)
11/05/14

Maybe instead of the losing side losing almost everything, just have the losing side take about 50%-75% losses. In a battle about a month ago, my army consisting of around 500k OP lost and returned with only 20k OP. In my opinion, this was a little extreme. Maybe change this so the losing army doesn't take as heavy of losses.

Apr 24, 2015, 18:2704/24/15
Dec 29, 2018, 16:41(edited)
11/05/14

Ideally in a real world situation, if an army sees they are out manned, they would retreat instead of fighting to the last man.  It is unreasonable to expect an attacker would lose their entire army in a raid.

Now defending is a different story, typically an army defending a city has no where to retreat to.  So, total loss might be understandable.

Apr 24, 2015, 19:3204/24/15
Dec 29, 2018, 16:55(edited)
11/05/14

Loromir said:

Ideally in a real world situation, if an army sees they are out manned, they would retreat instead of fighting to the last man.  It is unreasonable to expect an attacker would lose their entire army in a raid.

Now defending is a different story, typically an army defending a city has no where to retreat to.  So, total loss might be understandable.

True but in terms of gameplay, that may be a little too much. Who would want to defend if they might lose every troop they had outside of the acropolis? Defending and attacking should be balanced. It's already extremely hard to solo defend. Defending is basically a team oriented strategy. The losses in failed attacks and defenses should be balanced. I don't mean in the same battle of course. I'm not saying that if the attacker losses 50% of their army then so should the defender, i'm saying that regardless of side, the army that losses should always suffer around the same percentage of troops.

Apr 27, 2015, 16:4504/27/15
Dec 29, 2018, 17:02(edited)
11/05/14

Basileus Leonidas, you made the update which made battles more fair but you haven't explained what exactly you did. If you see this, please inform us on the specific changes to battle calculations.

Apr 27, 2015, 17:4104/27/15
02/02/15

Spartan206, you may find details here (click on the link).

The topic is locked. You cannot post comments.