Sparta Game Main Problem - Lack of War Activity

Search
Moderators for Sparta: War of Empires
Moderators wanted!
Jul 23, 2021, 11:0307/23/21
12/02/16

Ok, so this is the second Article in the series. Its purpose is to define the main problem of Sparta War game. This problem is the cause for 80% of the unhappines of the players, and no. 1 reason why players are leaving the game.

It is not about solutions just to define the main problem as accurate as possible.

This article is the continuation of:

https://plarium.com/forum/en/sparta-war-of-empires/128_game-discussion/593919_terminology-and-rules-of-how-players-think-and-what-plarium-cannot-accept-as-suggestions/

And it in the same area but not entire identical to 2 other articles composed by Yavitz and Mauro:

https://plarium.com/forum/en/sparta-war-of-empires/128_game-discussion/593856_plarium--don-t-you-realize-that-the-game-is-dying--or-is-the-desire-to-finish-it-yourself/

https://plarium.com/forum/en/sparta-war-of-empires/128_game-discussion/593446_will-it-ever-be-a-war-game-again/

It also elaborates on many previous articles, including by myself many years ago, lately a high profile article that many players commented in it mentioned similar problem:

https://plarium.com/forum/en/sparta-war-of-empires/128_game-discussion/340724_payments-with-local-currency--plarium-s-contradiction/

Moderators: vanesamei, morteeee and alias please comment. I need your opinion about this article as players for many years. Comment please if you think the defined problem is correct or not, if not let's discuss it.

Phase 1 - Main Problem: Cities are rarely being raided.

Numbers now: The requirement for myself and many other non coiners is Rule 2 in my previous article, article 1: Let's say there is a city with medium city level walls, not high. And 5 million defence points in it. It is not much defence, 5000 phalanxes for non coiners. Players, myself included, you as moderators, and 80% of the ther non coiners to be happy they need to raid such a city once a week. It is not much, raiding a city, only once time a week, with small amount of defence in it. Or you can say raiding 2 cities with 2.5 mil defence points in it. Ok? small requirement.

For coinres same thing, just lets say cities with 50 mil defence points per week. I am throwing numbers but let's assume they are approximately correct.

Question: Why players will not raid such a low defended city? it has only 5 mil defence. Why you as moderators will not raid such a city once a week? why am I, or 80% of players in Sparta, are not raiding such a city once a week and having fun as we want?

Answer: Main reason why players will not do such a small raid, is that to raid a city the attacker will loose a big amount of offence points (Troops) which the prizes and building queues of troops cannot compensate, and that will result his army vanish quickly if you always loose troops on regular basis. But and important but, I agree with vanesa and disagree with Yavitz, the ratio of defence vs offence is good, vanesa as myself worked years to reach a good defended city, this is the one of the only protections from a repeating raids of coiners, players with very big force, on non coiners cities.

Phase 2 - Main problem: How to cause a non coiner attacker to raid a city having 5 mil defence points in it once a week? 

This without breaking Rule 1 of the players as I defined in article 1, the attacker must have his army growing on a weekly basis for most of the time, for 100% of the time on monthly basis.

Without making suggestions of how to fix this, this in other article(s). Moderators: vanesamei, morteeee and alias do you agree to the main problem as defined here?

Do you see that 80% of the players in sparta want to raid cities on each week to get excitement and fun?

I know there are 20% of the rest that like Persian Positions only, or farming only of resources, or guardians activities only. But it is a minor part of the players. Almost all want to raid cities, not raiding pans, not raiding capitals, not doing PP each week as replacement, not clicking endlesly for free rewards instead, not raiding only farms or sieged cities, not dealing with Emporia also there troops are lost quicly if not being careful, but to raid cities, and not once in a ... but on a weekly basis.

Thanks 

Views
Comments
Comments
Jul 23, 2021, 17:5707/23/21
11/05/15

I agree that the game has maybe become a little too defence weighted, we do need more war activity and us mods are suggesting things to Plarium to try to balance this out :)

Jul 23, 2021, 20:2907/23/21
06/17/16

I agree Lior, I personally do not like the city bonus because it causes nobody to attack a city in the game, and although it prevents coiners from attacking your city it also prevents coiner cities from being attacked, however this is so, It can not  change, I understand.

But as you say, the game needs solutions that motivate players to storm cities, much better prizes, new tournaments that revive a free part, we need excitement and fun.

A game should never be boring, even if there are many tasks, these rewards of doing so many tasks have to serve later for fun.

Jul 29, 2021, 12:3307/29/21
02/14/18

Hi Lior! First I want to thank you for the time invested in explaining your way of seeing the game and proposing discussions about its different variables. Thank you very much, we appreciate it very much! 

For my behalf, I think you are right that defense has more weight in the game right now, but it is also true that I am a defensive player and I have developed that aspect for years so, logically, all my bonuses and my conversion for PVP it is better in that respect than in the other. Yes, many cities have a very strong cost if someone wants to attack them, but I look at my own city and I have invested years in improving its resistance capacity, so I think it's great that it is expensive for someone else to try to break it, don't you think?

And why don't I attack more? Why am I defensive? I was just always drawn to that part of the game. Sparta is a complex game in which each player can develop the aspects that are most compatible with their own taste or personality. There are experts in looting, there are Spartans who are crazy about guardians, others who develop cities ... there are offensive and defensive. Or from Persian positions. All are aspects of the game absolutely in line with the strategy game that Sparta wishes to be. 

Vanesa

Jul 30, 2021, 09:1107/30/21
12/02/16

Hi and thanks for replying,

Vanesa, while the game consist many aspects, most players and all potential new joiners are interested in the warfare only. Meaning raiding cities.

Please ignore all other aspects of the games, they are not relevant to the fun of most of the players and to the main subject. I joined because of the war part of the game, I assume all others joined for the same reasons, they didnt joined to build cities or doing PP or doing CC, the reality moved them to other directions.

As Yavitz said, Moderators you need to mention Plarium to motivate players to storm cities. This is the main problem.

Thanks

Aug 2, 2021, 04:4408/02/21
02/14/18
Lior

Vanesa, while the game consist many aspects, most players and all potential new joiners are interested in the warfare only. Meaning raiding cities.

Please ignore all other aspects of the games, they are not relevant to the fun of most of the players and to the main subject. I joined because of the war part of the game, I assume all others joined for the same reasons, they didnt joined to build cities or doing PP or doing CC, the reality moved them to other directions.

As Yavitz said, Moderators you need to mention Plarium to motivate players to storm cities. This is the main problem.

Thanks

Well, have to tell you that I agree on one thing here: If there were no raiders, I couldn't be defensive :)

So, if Plarium wants to revue their balance and gives a little more to Offensive guys, I'm ok with that!

Thanks for your feedback, once again :)

Aug 3, 2021, 08:2708/03/21
11/05/15
Lior

Thanks

trust me, we are, I am both an off and def player and I must admit I get a bigger rush when I take down a big city or pan, the game has been very weighted towards defence for a long time now 

these are my own opinions as a player of course :)

Aug 3, 2021, 18:0608/03/21
03/15/16

i agree that things are weighted towards defense, and once certain army levels and city upgrades, almost impossible to do alone, so most larger players fight in the midlevel cities. stagnation happens when nothing is moving and without offense in play.. nothing does. pa"s now for the most part are harmless. on server 2 the largest coas do not engage each other at all, they merely hit the smaller ones due to diplo agreements.. gives me plenty to do because it takes more skill to play in a smaller coa than in a large one just by the nature of the game. there are ways to hit cities , but the game handcuffs the ability to do it consistantly because balanced attacks beat power every time in a conflict over time, but the bonuses afforded cities are squed much more tha they should be

Aug 3, 2021, 18:1608/03/21
03/15/16

p.s. as far a coining and the term.. everyone to be competive spends on here.. but there is much more to this game than sheer power.. the game does a great job in teaching how to attack in conflicts in scoring and is based on resources to replace.. this holds true in larger conflicts and wars. this is something that many in this game do not study because this game at its based is about wearing down the other side in resources to replace.. period... and over time the players that attack in this manner will generally win a conflict over time... and army you build for this will beat and army based on sheer power every time... but the game limits your ability to actually build what it takes to do it consistantly by the inabilit to by enough resource apckages a day to construct what you actually need to do this effectively on larger cities

Aug 4, 2021, 08:0408/04/21
11/05/15
LEM

p.s. as far a coining and the term.. everyone to be competive spends on here.. but there is much more to this game than sheer power.. the game does a great job in teaching how to attack in conflicts in scoring and is based on resources to replace.. this holds true in larger conflicts and wars. this is something that many in this game do not study because this game at its based is about wearing down the other side in resources to replace.. period... and over time the players that attack in this manner will generally win a conflict over time... and army you build for this will beat and army based on sheer power every time... but the game limits your ability to actually build what it takes to do it consistantly by the inabilit to by enough resource apckages a day to construct what you actually need to do this effectively on larger cities

I have flagged this to the CM for you :)

Aug 12, 2021, 19:0808/12/21
03/15/16

i do want to address the ARS issue... i like many found this option late.. faught a few wars against peeps that were on it.. first of all. it was definately a glitch and now they closed it... i do feel packages should be less expensive and that would encourage more fighting.. but i have to say, most players simply do not know how to attack effectively. not attack a few times , but sustain an effort for longer periods like a war. wars are attritional and there are keys in the game that show you exactly how to do it. so, the fault is players also because they are not students of the game... this game is morelike chess than anything else.. and peices are made to work inconjuntion with other peices.. some have more effect on other peices etc,, some have less... so, this issue is not just the money part.. its lack of understanding and/or studying this game also.. plarium must make a profit, but there needs to be a middle ground also

Aug 16, 2021, 08:1108/16/21
11/05/15

apologies for this thread being temporarily hidden, it appears to have been done so in error so have put is as viewable again :)

Aug 18, 2021, 03:5708/18/21
02/14/18
LEM

i do want to address the ARS issue... i like many found this option late.. faught a few wars against peeps that were on it.. first of all. it was definately a glitch and now they closed it... i do feel packages should be less expensive and that would encourage more fighting.. but i have to say, most players simply do not know how to attack effectively. not attack a few times , but sustain an effort for longer periods like a war. wars are attritional and there are keys in the game that show you exactly how to do it. so, the fault is players also because they are not students of the game... this game is morelike chess than anything else.. and peices are made to work inconjuntion with other peices.. some have more effect on other peices etc,, some have less... so, this issue is not just the money part.. its lack of understanding and/or studying this game also.. plarium must make a profit, but there needs to be a middle ground also

Thank you for this feedback. 

I think the same way, I feel that since we have been in the game for many years, many people believe that they know it, that they know how to play it and the truth is that the variables change so much, with the new tournaments, troops, characteristics, that we have to re-study a lot of things to optimize performance. There are players who continue to play the same as several years ago, and instead of wondering what is happening with their game that does not perform as before, many times it falls into the ease of believing that there are failures. There may be, of course, but, as you say, some study of the several features can improve our gameplay a lot! 

Sep 1, 2021, 02:1309/01/21
02/14/18
LEM

i agree that things are weighted towards defense, and once certain army levels and city upgrades, almost impossible to do alone, so most larger players fight in the midlevel cities. stagnation happens when nothing is moving and without offense in play.. nothing does. pa"s now for the most part are harmless. on server 2 the largest coas do not engage each other at all, they merely hit the smaller ones due to diplo agreements.. gives me plenty to do because it takes more skill to play in a smaller coa than in a large one just by the nature of the game. there are ways to hit cities , but the game handcuffs the ability to do it consistantly because balanced attacks beat power every time in a conflict over time, but the bonuses afforded cities are squed much more tha they should be

Hello LEM!

You won the reward for Most Helpful Reply in August!

Congrats!

Please check your PM :)

Sep 1, 2021, 16:5809/01/21
03/15/16

the answer to liors question of the 5000 phalanx defense is to hit that formation, depending of it is is therophoros or thoandykes or a combination of... is to hit that formation with 200 horses, 400 phalanx, 1600 heavies and 8000 lights... he will lose th batlle but kill many more phalanx in resources to replcae than he loses... the phalanx will lose 40 percent of its defensive strength on impact due to the layered amount of lights and heavies but shuld, kill roughly half of the phalanx wheter you are a coiner or not.. makes no difference... if your smaller soldiers are upgrade enough the will win outright... i saw the pm.. did i win anything... lol

Sep 1, 2021, 17:0009/01/21
03/15/16

anyont that defends with 1 or 2 lines of soldiers will get killed by anyone layering its offense and lose massively in pvp

Sep 1, 2021, 17:0709/01/21
03/15/16

also in that illustration above the offensive player will lose roughly half of what he sends depending on the upgrade , general and guaridian.. but for fun i have done things like this with very small cities with none of it to see how it works.. but you guys should set up a city and test it... because its true... the great equalizer in this game is that the largest players generally hit with and defend with the most powerfu soldiers and do not uderstand the concept

Sep 2, 2021, 20:3009/02/21
Sep 2, 2021, 20:34(edited)
09/04/16
LEM

the answer to liors question of the 5000 phalanx defense is to hit that formation, depending of it is is therophoros or thoandykes or a combination of... is to hit that formation with 200 horses, 400 phalanx, 1600 heavies and 8000 lights... he will lose th batlle but kill many more phalanx in resources to replcae than he loses... the phalanx will lose 40 percent of its defensive strength on impact due to the layered amount of lights and heavies but shuld, kill roughly half of the phalanx wheter you are a coiner or not.. makes no difference... if your smaller soldiers are upgrade enough the will win outright... i saw the pm.. did i win anything... lol

If you want to kill as many Phalanx Def units as you can You Must hit with Lights & Heavy ONLY.

Sep 2, 2021, 23:2609/02/21
03/15/16

that has not been my experience,ive used just 2 lines.. did thta in challenges, but found spicing em up like this coast less all around.. i used to just hit with light and heavies..used to do that onlyand didnt use horses at all for over 2 years... becuase really to fight u dont need them and the legendary general peices are much cheaper to upgrade... so i use all 4 lines now ... really works effectivey in pans.. you my be correct, but i do not believe that 1600 and 8000 heavies and lights could breack the walls and be as effective alone.. i truly think this game is made to use all 4 lines of soldiers in an attack with roughly the same pwer on each line to be effective and a balance of swords and spears that is only changed to effect what soldiers you are trying to isolate

Sep 12, 2021, 10:0409/12/21
12/03/14

Defending has always been easier than attacking throughout the history. Anything otherwise would be abnormal in Sparta. Most (seemingly) top players have gone defensive in Sparta. It's all about individual strategy but there are still a lots of players who are of attacking mindset. Due to the guardian and elysian bonuses, battle is more balanced now than ever before. Speaking from my experience as I have been playing since 2014, I think that except Persian Position, every other gameplay has improved.

Sep 12, 2021, 15:1409/12/21
06/17/16
John Zed

Defending has always been easier than attacking throughout the history. Anything otherwise would be abnormal in Sparta. Most (seemingly) top players have gone defensive in Sparta. It's all about individual strategy but there are still a lots of players who are of attacking mindset. Due to the guardian and elysian bonuses, battle is more balanced now than ever before. Speaking from my experience as I have been playing since 2014, I think that except Persian Position, every other gameplay has improved.

😂