All Categories

What's the point or advantage to training other, upper level, more expensive troops?

What's the point or advantage to training other, upper level, more expensive troops?

Search
How to join our moderation team?
Oct 21, 2017, 17:5710/21/17

I know this will sound like a dumb question and I'm not a player that tracks skill points or does math for the game or anything but the question is:

if I can train, say 300 riflemen which will equal (I'm inventing numbers here now) 5000 in offensive points, or I can train 75 Heavy Infantry to equal 5000 offensive points, but the heavies cost three times as much and take 4 times as long to train. What's the up shot/advantage to even bothering with heavies?

Why not just train a lot of riflemen/sappers really quickly, for cheap instead?

Does that quesation make sense?

Views
Comments
Comments
Oct 21, 2017, 22:5010/21/17
03/25/15
katiecarsoncake said:

I know this will sound like a dumb question and I'm not a player that tracks skill points or does math for the game or anything but the question is:

if I can train, say 300 riflemen which will equal (I'm inventing numbers here now) 5000 in offensive points, or I can train 75 Heavy Infantry to equal 5000 offensive points, but the heavies cost three times as much and take 4 times as long to train. What's the up shot/advantage to even bothering with heavies?

Commander..There are some players that choose to use massive numbers of Lt infantry..They lose a lot of units and rebuild all the time..but that is their choice..However, there is a down side to doing that and that is Ration Consumption and some units perform better against other units..For instance..Light Infantry( in mass number) with an Offense points of say 5k will kill more Choppers than say Heavy Infantry with the same amount of Offense points..300 light infantry units consume more Rats per hour than say 75 heavy infantry..And if your looking for more power for the investment with less rebuild time and ,killing of all kinds  ( variety )of units ,and of course, Ration Consumption..then you need an assortment of Units
Oct 22, 2017, 15:3010/22/17
Oct 22, 2017, 15:35(edited)
08/12/14

RobertShatz said:

katiecarsoncake said:

Commander..There are some players that choose to use massive numbers of Lt infantry..They lose a lot of units and rebuild all the time..but that is their choice..However, there is a down side to doing that and that is Ration Consumption and some units perform better against other units..For instance..Light Infantry( in mass number) with an Offense points of say 5k will kill more Choppers than say Heavy Infantry with the same amount of Offense points..300 light infantry units consume more Rats per hour than say 75 heavy infantry..And if your looking for more power for the investment with less rebuild time and ,killing of all kinds  ( variety )of units ,and of course, Ration Consumption..then you need an assortment of Units

Ration consumption has not been a problem in this game for a while. You just have to raid.

The reason why you would want to build the others is two fold.

1) There are specific types of units in each category that have good resource/ hour usage. These units are good for loading locations to convert to other units. This reason isn't used as much since their is a tax on returns from locations, although this can still be effective if done well.

2) If you are consistently raiding, and raiding for around 80-100k a hit, you will naturally start building in the other categories as you can keep them all going indefinitely. This maximizes how fast your offense and defense can grow.

Edit: As an aside, while Robertshatz is right about type match-ups, you are correct that light infantry (specifically recon, riflemen and sappers) are the most efficient in battles. This is why they are very good for PvP gathering and sending harassing hits at someone, as their resource worth is relatively low. I recommend using recon instead of riflemen though. They are just too slow for the small increase in resource efficiency.
Oct 22, 2017, 21:2610/22/17
You mention that riflemen are "slow". You mean when travelling to a fight in convoys?
Oct 23, 2017, 01:4910/23/17
Oct 23, 2017, 01:50(edited)
08/12/14
katiecarsoncake said:

You mention that riflemen are "slow". You mean when travelling to a fight in convoys?
By convoys I'm assuming you mean raid or occupation hits (ZHG locations don't really care about speed and you get a large speed boost to MCs and HQs). If so, yes. exactly. Being that slow quickly turns many journeys to 1 day stints. Much better to use recon ops. Also, cheaper to boost the travel time of a large army of recon ops than riflemen.
Oct 24, 2017, 23:1710/24/17

Thank you for the information. That makes sense.

The above being said, when you're playing (presuming you still do ;) What do you usually train as a matter of course. What's absolutely getting  trained every time? Recon in bulk, riflemen, which? 
Oct 25, 2017, 14:0610/25/17
08/12/14
katiecarsoncake said:

Thank you for the information. That makes sense.

The above being said, when you're playing (presuming you still do ;) What do you usually train as a matter of course. What's absolutely getting  trained every time? Recon in bulk, riflemen, which? 
Currently I train sappers, recon ops, assault infantry and hvy snipers constantly. Every other week I'll add a couple 100 vultures or MQ-11Bs. Also, after raiding, when my rations are high, I usually add some commandos and paratroopers.
Oct 25, 2017, 21:3810/25/17
So you basically use recon in lieu of Riflemen. Besides the obvious use as a recon plane, what else, if anything, do you use the MQ-11B's for? 
Oct 25, 2017, 22:5610/25/17
Oct 25, 2017, 23:12(edited)
03/25/15
katiecarsoncake said:

So you basically use recon in lieu of Riflemen. Besides the obvious use as a recon plane, what else, if anything, do you use the MQ-11B's for? 
Commander..MQ-11B's are strictly for recon..They can offer a very small amount of defense if your base is hit while they are out of bunker..However they can stop your base from being reconned, thus allowing the enemy a look at what resources you have plus what defensive structures and units your base may hold..Bur remember that they are only as effective "anti " recon unit if your number of recon units exceed those that are sent to recon your base. I usually build ALL units..for various reasons..Vindicators down I use on S/Ds..I try to keep several hundred recons , Assault , and Vindicators to use as retaliatory hits..( if someone hits our HQ and I want to make him pay for doing that ) I train Mohawks for raiding..and Zaams and Thunderheads to be used in Combine hits mixed with Lt and Heavy infantry
Oct 25, 2017, 23:1410/25/17
08/12/14

katiecarsoncake said:

I'm stating the following just in case you are thinking about the spy plane. When I say "recon ops" I meant recon operators. They are the offensive light infantry after riflemen, and I use them instead of riflemen since they're twice as fast. http://prntscr.com/h221ye

I only make so many MQ-11Bs because I'm building up a medium sized spy force. This is useful for your own protection, when setting up defensive traps, breaking through a tough anti-spy defense on a pvp target (only recommended if you're a heavy offense player as it probably wont pay off otherwise), and for protecting MCs from spy bombs, although spy bombs aren't used as much anymore.

Oct 26, 2017, 16:4410/26/17

After reading my reply up there, I see that it was totally confusing lol. Thanks for your reply. I'd be interested to hear more about your spy army/defensive traps and spy bombs. Basically, I've been playing the game doing solo ZHG stuff primarily and not really getting into the PVP/occupation stuff very much. I am in a combine and have learned a lot from them, but being a level 63 and not knowing the fundamentals of what effectively is the entire rest of the game isn't doing myself any good.

I'm super interested in learning anything you have to convey to me. I've already started training recon, although it REALLY hurts me to do it. When I'm sitting there looking at the training window and I can either train 400 riflemen or like 60 recon that are going to take *forever* to train, I tend to click riflemen ;)
Oct 26, 2017, 16:5710/26/17
Oct 26, 2017, 16:59(edited)

Inaginni said:

2) If you are consistently raiding, and raiding for around 80-100k a hit, you will naturally start building in the other categories as you can keep them all going indefinitely.

Reading back across your replies this morning,  I have a question regarding pvp raiding. 90% of the time, all of their forces are bunkered. You said in the quoted post "raiding for about 80K-100k a hit" What are the points from? Experience points, Tournament points, Ranking points? I'm probably being obtuse and not seeing what's in front of me though, so I'm sorry for my ignorance. Is there anything to gain by raiding a base that's bunkered down with no troops? Are most of your raids on bases with no troops to beat?.

P.S. I updated my name and avatar to match my in-game name.
Oct 27, 2017, 00:2110/27/17
08/12/14

Felix said:

Inaginni said:

2) If you are consistently raiding, and raiding for around 80-100k a hit, you will naturally start building in the other categories as you can keep them all going indefinitely.

Reading back across your replies this morning,  I have a question regarding pvp raiding. 90% of the time, all of their forces are bunkered. You said in the quoted post "raiding for about 80K-100k a hit" What are the points from? Experience points, Tournament points, Ranking points? I'm probably being obtuse and not seeing what's in front of me though, so I'm sorry for my ignorance. Is there anything to gain by raiding a base that's bunkered down with no troops? Are most of your raids on bases with no troops to beat?.

P.S. I updated my name and avatar to match my in-game name.

When I say "80-100k a hit" I mean total resources taken from the base due to the raid. Usually I raid people that no longer play for resources. Less headaches that way, unless I want PvP.

Just in case you don't know, usually you can only raid for a max of 50k resources from a base each week. However, if you send your convoys, things you use in the logistics exchange, at a base 10-20 seconds before your raid hits you can gain 100k a week from each base. All you have to do is recall your convoys after your raid hits (it's free if done within the first, I think, 30 seconds).

The spy army basically has the uses I've already listed. Although not used much anymore, spy bombs were masses of spies, often with large amounts of black eagles, sent at an MC, HQ or a base in order to gain a spy report. The black eagles method is normally used so that, if the spy bomb fails you will have significantly weakened the spy defense of the target (black eagles kill enemy spies instead of just being killed by them) allowing for the next spy bomb to break through.

Defensive traps are where you, and most often some of your friends/ combine mates, send defense to a specific point, usually a base. The person who owns said base then provokes someone into attacking them. This is done during PvP or to help out a combine mate with a bully problem. It is beneficial to have high base defense when doing this (I don't recommend below 10k+ = 100%+ increase in defense at the base), especially for PvP.

Here's a tutorial I had put together to help out with a few other things you might be missing: https://plarium.com/forum/en/soldiers-inc/game-tutorials/39722_a-summary-tutorial---finer-points/

Oct 27, 2017, 12:1210/27/17
05/07/17
Awesome. Thanks for the really good info! Our combine actually has been harassed by someone with a defensive trap. He's attempting raids on all our bases with like 25-50 troops. Enough to fail and not enough to win. Then, when we all tried to recon or raid back, everyone started losing everything. Hundreds of helicopters, troops tanks were lost trying to raid him.
Oct 27, 2017, 14:2710/27/17

Inaginni said:

However, if you send your convoys, things you use in the logistics exchange, at a base 10-20 seconds before your raid hits you can gain 100k a week from each base. 

How would you send convoys to a base you don't occupy?  I'm probably being dense but I can't think of how you would do that on an enemy base.
Oct 27, 2017, 23:4910/27/17
08/12/14

Felix said:

Inaginni said:

However, if you send your convoys, things you use in the logistics exchange, at a base 10-20 seconds before your raid hits you can gain 100k a week from each base. 

How would you send convoys to a base you don't occupy?  I'm probably being dense but I can't think of how you would do that on an enemy base.

It's underneath the shield icon when you're looking at a base: http://prntscr.com/h2ydk2

Base type (enemy, friend, combine mate etc.) doesn't matter. You can send resources to anyone.

Oct 28, 2017, 00:3210/28/17

So just before the raid hits, I send a ton of resources to the base and within 10 secs, I cancel it. This then skews the bases data and gives you a larger amount of pillaged resources as a result. Is that about the gist of it?

Oct 28, 2017, 15:2910/28/17
Oct 28, 2017, 15:29(edited)
08/12/14
Felix said:

So just before the raid hits, I send a ton of resources to the base and within 10 secs, I cancel it. This then skews the bases data and gives you a larger amount of pillaged resources as a result. Is that about the gist of it?

Yep that's it. It started off as a bug many years ago, but Plarium decided to keep it as a hidden game mechanic.