All Categories

Basic Guide: Champions Overview (Archive)

Search
MariusAdmin
Jun 25, 2018, 14:0306/25/18
09/04/17

Greetings, Warriors! In the game of Raid: Shadow Legends, Champions are your main fighting force. It is these mighty warriors that form your teams both for PvE and PvP challenges, and it is them you must strive to upgrade, equip with the most powerful Artifacts and rank up to unlock their full potential. This guide will provide you with a quick look at Champions and explain some of the basics.

To view your available Champions you need to tap the “Champions” button on the main game UI. A window will open that will allow you to review the Champions that you have collected as well as a complete index of all Champions in the game, their equipment, skills and much more.

1. Champion’s Element, name, and current Rank; 
  2. This is the Faction that your Champion fights for; 
  3. The Rarity of the Champion (Common, Uncommon, Rare, Epic, Legendary) and Attack, Defense, Support) 
  4. Experience bar and the current level of the Champion; 
  5. Artifacts, Skills and Masteries tabs that can be switched between; 
  6. Champion’s stats. 

Some of that information, namely their Rarity, Element, current Level and Ascension status (can be determined by the Champion’s Rank stars colouring purple instead of gold) from the Champion’s portrait.

pic 

Elements

The first thing that you should know about Champions is that each and every one of them is attuned to a certain Element. These include Magic (blue), Spirit (green), Force (red) and Void (purple). Each Element is represented by an icon on the Champion’s portrait. As an example, the Champion above is attuned to the Force.  

Much like a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors, each Element has another one that is stronger and weaker than it is. As displayed by the scheme above Magic is stronger than Spirit, in turn, Spirit is stronger than Force, and Force is stronger than Magic. Only Void as the rarest and most powerful element stands above all and is not affected by advantages or disadvantages of the other Elements.

When in battle, you will often see that the arrow above your target’s head changes colour, depending on which Champion is selected. This is determined by the Elements that the current Champion is attuned to.

• Red Arrow: the Champion’s Element is weak against this target. The damage that he or she deals will be reduced by 20%, the Critical Rate will be reduced by 15%, and the attack has a 35% chance of being a Weak Hit, which can never place a debuff on the target unless its description specifically states that it overcomes the effects of the Elemental weakness and decreases damage by further 30%; 
  • Yellow Arrow: there will be no bonuses or penalties for the damage or effects that your Champion’s attack deals to this target. 
  • Green Arrow: the Champion’s Element is stronger than the target’s. The Critical Rate of the attacking Champion increases and there is a 30% chance of inflicting a Strong Hit, which deals 30% additional damage. 

Rarity

The power of your Champions is also determined by their Rarity. There are five grades in total:

• Common. Gray frame around the Champion’s portrait. Simple warriors who are often used as “fodder” to gain experience for more powerful Champions in the Tavern. However, some of them do have skills that can become useful to your team composition. 
  • Uncommon. A green frame around the Champion’s portrait. More powerful than the Common variety, these Champions are still quite easily accessible and cannot measure up to their more powerful alternatives. Yet their skills can be deadly in their own right when used strategically. 
  • Rare. A blue frame around the Champion’s portrait. Rare Champions will make up the bulk of your fighting force, especially during the first stages of the game. Their basic stats are inferior to those of the Epic and Legendary Champions. However, it would be a grave mistake to underestimate them. Many of the Rare Champions possess powerful attack, defense or utility skills that will be essential to gaining victory. 
  • Epic. A purple frame around the Champion’s portrait. These elite fighters possess increased base combat stats and often have very impressive skills in their arsenal.  
  • Legendary. A golden frame around the Champion’s portrait. These are the most powerful Champions a player can have and thus are often a coveted prize. They have the highest base stats from among all Champions and their skills are often among the most powerful in the game. 

Types

There are four types of Champions, which follow the simple principle of “What it says on the tin”:

• Attack. These are your main damage dealers and focus on bringing the fight to the enemy. 
  • Defense. These Champions have a variety of defensive skills that can be used to protect their team. 
  • HP. The name of this Champion type is derived from the term “Health Points”, and they do have plenty of those. These fighters excel at absorbing incoming damage and protecting their allies. In the commonly used game terminology, you could call one of them a “tank”. 
  • Support. A somewhat broad group that includes both healers and Champions that specialize in buffing your team and/or debuffing the enemy. 

Stats

The Champion’s Stats determine his or her effectiveness in battle in a variety of ways. There are 9 in total:

• HP, or Health Points. This is how much damage the Champion can take before he or she is defeated. 
  • ATK, or Attack. A Stat that is most commonly used to determine the damage that different attacks that the Champion unleashes. Keep in mind that base ATK does not determine the exact damage that will be dealt as it is affected by different multipliers, other stats in some cases and the target’s DEF. Some Champions also have Skills that base the damage they deal on other Stats. 
  • DEF, or Defense. This Stat helps the Champion mitigate incoming damage. Certain Champions or Skills, however, depend on this Stat as the primary contributor to the damage they deal. 
  • SPD, or Speed. Simple enough, the Champion’s “Turn Meter” fills up faster when this Stat is higher. It also determines who gets the first turn at the very start of the battle. 
  • C.RATE, or Critical Rate. This shows the Champion’s chance to deliver a Critical Hit, which in turn deals increased damage in accordance with the next stat. 
  • C.DMG, or Critical Damage. This Stat affects the multiplier of all Critical Hits that your Champion delivers. At its base, C.Damage stands at 50% but can be raised to deliver truly terrifying precision strikes. 
  • C.HEAL, or Critical Heal. This Stat affects certain healing skills that can Crit, providing a greater percentage of restored health. 
  • RESIST. This Stat signifies the Champion’s ability to shrug off the effects of a Debuff. 
  • ACC, or Accuracy. As opposed to Resist, ACC is needed for the Champion’s attacks to apply any negative effects to the target. 

Skills

You can review your Champion’s Skills via the Champion Index “Skill” tab. By clicking on the icon of the Skill that you are interested in you can bring up a pop-up of the Skill description and levels. We will talk about upgrading Skills later on.

Skills are broken down into the following categories:

• Active. The Skill needs to be activated in order to take effect. All skills but the basic attack each Champion has will go on cooldown after activation and will not be available for the designated number of turns. 
  • Passive. The skill is either always active or automatically activates when designated conditions are met. 
  • Aura. This skill is only active when the Champion possessing it is selected as the team’s Leader. 

We will additionally look into Summoning, Upgrading, Ascending and equipping your Champions with the best possible Artifacts in separate guides.

Views
Comments
Comments
Feb 13, 2019, 23:0202/13/19
02/13/19
Hi and thanks for the guide, but I still can't understand in types what diff is bitween HP and Def :s, ok HP is like a tank, but Def?
Feb 17, 2019, 07:0502/17/19

levsaw said:

Hi and thanks for the guide, but I still can't understand in types what diff is bitween HP and Def :s, ok HP is like a tank, but Def?

So far so good. HP is the health of your champion. Defense, is the resistence against damage. In very basic terms, you can say: the more HP your champion has, the more hits it can take. But the more Defense your champion has, the less damage those hits are dealing. 

I hope this helps, and mods: correct me if I'm wrong.
MariusAdmin
Feb 18, 2019, 11:0502/18/19
09/04/17
Both classes can have similar Skills, albeit the Stats are prioritized differently. HP Champions will have more base HP, Defense Champions will have more base DEF. 
Feb 18, 2019, 13:3502/18/19
Feb 18, 2019, 13:36(edited)
01/29/19

In relation to the Char-Values a question about Atk-Buffs.

If a Medium adds a+50% Atk-Buff to the group, does that just really increase the Atk, and the buff is useless for [LP] and [DEF] damage skills?

Or does it increase the damage-calculation-value, no matter if it's dependant on ATK,  Def , or LP?

Feb 22, 2019, 00:2102/22/19
12/17/18

How do skill increases calculate? For example, the basic attack for Executioner has a 20% chance of placing a debuff. Three of the skill increases state "Buff/Debuff Cance +10%". If you increase all of his skills to the maximum level, does that give a 50% chance to place the debuff?

20% + 10% + 10% + 10% = 50%?

Feb 22, 2019, 15:3302/22/19
Feb 22, 2019, 15:34(edited)
02/13/19

Thanks for the answer

So in practice having a lot of HP is equal to a lot of Defence?

"the more HP your champion has, the more hits it can take." 

Cause in case of high Defence you are able to take more hits as having a lot of HP. Or I am missing something...

Could you develop or someone esle pls

Feb 22, 2019, 15:4502/22/19
02/13/19

Supposing your char deals 2k damage without the Atk Buff, Now we add AtkBuff of +50% and that makes 2000 + 1000= 3000. And no, the buff isn't useless, it adds +50% Atk  to the group if of course the buff is a group buff)

1000 is 50% of 2000 ( to be clear)
MariusAdmin
Feb 25, 2019, 15:0302/25/19
09/04/17

Hey, guys. Quick replies for you:

• DEF/ATK Buffs do affect the damage that the Skill does, if it scales with the respective Stat. Otherwise, Increase ATK would have little use!
  • We will be releasing a video delving quite heavily into the matter of DEF vs incoming damage, stay tuned.
  • Buff/Debuff Chance is additive, so you indeed get 5% (as an example) + 10% = 15% of landing that Buff/Debuff.
Mar 6, 2019, 00:2903/06/19
12/17/18

Marius said:

Elements

The first thing that you should know about Champions is that each and every one of them is attuned to a certain Element. These include Magic (blue), Spirit (green), Force (red) and Void (purple). Each Element is represented by an icon on the Champion’s portrait. As an example, the Champion above is attuned to the Force.  

Much like a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors, each Element has another one that is stronger and weaker than it is. As displayed by the scheme above Magic is stronger than Spirit, in turn, Spirit is stronger than Force, and Force is stronger than Magic. Only Void as the rarest and most powerful element stands above all and is not affected by advantages or disadvantages of the other Elements.

When in battle, you will often see that the arrow above your target’s head changes colour, depending on which Champion is selected. This is determined by the Elements that the current Champion is attuned to.

• Red Arrow: the Champion’s Element is weak against this target. The damage that he or she deals will be reduced and the attack can never place a debuff on the target unless its description specifically states that it overcomes the effects of the Elemental weakness; 
  • Yellow Arrow: there will be no bonuses or penalties for the damage or effects that your Champion’s attack deals to this target. 
  • Green Arrow: the Champion’s Element is stronger than the target’s. Damage dealt will be increased and, if the attack also places a debuff on its target, its ability to resist the effect suffers. 

Marius, thanks for your replies.

On another note, I wonder if the above quoted text is true, or perhaps changed since the guide was written. In particular the statement that agains a 'Red Arrow' target "the attack can never place a debuff on the target unless it's description specifically states..." I've noticed being able to land debuffs (that don't indicate anything about overcoming Elemental weakness) on Elements that the Champion is weak against.

For examples, in an Arena fight just now:

• my Executioner (Magic) landed slow on Skullcrusher (Force) and Stun on Thenasil (Force)
  • my Athel (Magic) landed Weaken on Sinesha (Force) and Thenasil (Force)

Mar 11, 2019, 11:5703/11/19
02/08/19
How exactly is a champions power calculated? I have noticed some champions get higher power ratings when using lower level gear.
Mar 12, 2019, 09:4203/12/19
05/08/17
Is there any place that explains battle effects? I mean freeze, weaken etc?
MariusAdmin
Mar 12, 2019, 12:2403/12/19
09/04/17
carlw2345 said:

How exactly is a champions power calculated? I have noticed some champions get higher power ratings when using lower level gear.
It depends on the Champion's Stats. It's not impossible for Substats on a lower level Artifact to add up to a greater sum in the end.
Mar 12, 2019, 23:2603/12/19
12/17/18
Marius, please see my question a few posts up, when you have a chance. Thanks.
Mar 12, 2019, 23:5403/12/19
Mar 12, 2019, 23:57(edited)
02/05/19
This is something I am interested in aswel for similar things like hp burn and bomb debuff ect, I find that these things are not explained very well in the in game discriptions which isn't a problem, but there isn't anywhere in game to go for these answers, we could do with an in game tab or something that has a list of the buffs, debuffs and status effects with a description of exactly what they do, that would be really helpful to everyone I believe
MariusAdmin
Mar 14, 2019, 08:5803/14/19
Mar 14, 2019, 09:06(edited)
09/04/17

dalestart said:

Marius, please see my question a few posts up, when you have a chance. Thanks.

Hey, Dalestart. I'll adjust the description, it's a bit unclear! What is referred to here is a Weak Hit that can happen when the target has a stronger Affinity. The guide is quite old :D

For buffs/debuffs, I'm pretty much done with a separate guide. Once it's approved, I will post it on the forum.
Mar 14, 2019, 18:0703/14/19
02/04/19

Hello Marius, I have a simple question maybe but I want to clear it up anyway.

Im referring to said 'multipliers' on damage calculations:

I have 2 champions to compare for my example: Ehlain and Shatterbones

Ehlain uses valley of death, it attacks all enemies 2 times. Shatterbones uses hail, attacks all enemies 3 times.

If, hypothetically, their stats were totally the same and eat of ehlains hits did 1000 damage to each enemy (ignoring other stuff: DEF etc.) so a total of 2000, does that mean that Shatterbones will hit all enemies for 3000 total?

My actual question is: Do skills that attack multiple times (or even any skills that deal damage) deal less or more damage depending on that skill? Are skills all set to say x1 rather than x1.1, x1.5, x2.0, x1.7? 

I want to know if Athel will hit as much as Squire would per hit with her default skill if stats are equal.

Thank you

Mar 15, 2019, 23:3703/15/19
Mar 15, 2019, 23:44(edited)
01/29/19

Marius said:

Hey, guys. Quick replies for you:

• DEF/ATK Buffs do affect the damage that the Skill does, if it scales with the respective Stat. Otherwise, Increase ATK would have little use!
  • We will be releasing a video delving quite heavily into the matter of DEF vs incoming damage, stay tuned.
  • Buff/Debuff Chance is additive, so you indeed get 5% (as an example) + 10% = 15% of landing that Buff/Debuff.

Dalestart did ask how Skill ups were calculated, sadly you only addressed how they should be for debuffs..

I assumed it meant it is the same for the other increases, like healing, too.

As a consequence i sit on a nearly maxed Hexweaver (Heal15%+10%+10%+10%), who heals for less than 25% in total.

So PLEASE:

-Explain how heal-increases are calculated? (Skill ups, heal-armor, abilitys)

-Will this be fixed? (No wonder Lifesteak gear ist so widely used, with useless healers healing for less than a single Attack)

-Can someone give me the wasted Skillbooks back, as i wasted them following a Moderators (slightly unclear)guidance. (Especially cnsidering how hard they are to get.)

(I wasted plenty of experience-farming and 2 million silver too, adjusting a CB-team, thinking her healing (+Nicholas) would be efficient, and Lifesteak unneeded. Little did i know. :( )

Mar 16, 2019, 19:3903/16/19
05/30/16
HI guys. Can u help. how can i get accessories. do i need to buy them or do they drop in game
MariusAdmin
Mar 20, 2019, 13:0803/20/19
09/04/17

sinsolena said:

So PLEASE:

-Explain how heal-increases are calculated? (Skill ups, heal-armor, abilitys)

-Will this be fixed? (No wonder Lifesteak gear ist so widely used, with useless healers healing for less than a single Attack)

-Can someone give me the wasted Skillbooks back, as i wasted them following a Moderators (slightly unclear)guidance. (Especially cnsidering how hard they are to get.)

(I wasted plenty of experience-farming and 2 million silver too, adjusting a CB-team, thinking her healing (+Nicholas) would be efficient, and Lifesteak unneeded. Little did i know. :( )

- To my knowledge, Heals are multiplicative and everything else is additive (buff/debuff chance, Damage, C.Rate and C.DMG)

- We have notified the Dev Team about the confusing description and they will consider what can be done. But healing value is unlikely to be increased. Lifesteal is also widely used because it is useful to make a Champion survivable without having to rely on others.

- Unfortunately, no. Moderators are players just like you, they do not have the inside information of how things work and their advice when it comes to gameplay is not official company advice. Indeed, we never provide advice in the form of "do this and you'll win", it's always just guidelines.

- Clan Boss is not very kind to healing in general due to his damage increasing after a certain point. Though that is not to say it cannot work at all, and a good healer can be useful in plenty other Dungeons.
Mar 20, 2019, 14:5503/20/19
03/20/19
Does anyone know what the lock symbol means on the character 
The topic is locked. You cannot post comments.