All Categories

Exchange Rates And Global Events

Search
Dec 5, 2019, 12:3112/05/19
09/06/19

What has really upset me for a while now is the unfair exchange rates that I get with Raid in comparison to US and other countries.

E.g. If I take the conqueror packs for example as everyone gets them almost every day.  Now in the US players are paying $4.99 or $9.99 for either of these 2 packs (the smaller or the larger ones respectively).

Living in the UK I am expected to pay either £4.99 or £9.99 for these packs.  Plarium usually just makes up the price for UK packs after setting the price for the US ones as there is no consistency in the pricing.  Usually all that happens is they if the price is less than $25 they will use the same for the UK price.  Between $25 and $75 (I think) they just drop £1 (So $29.99 becomes £28.99) And for the bigger offers they drop £2.

But $1 does not equal £1.  

$1 equals 76 pence (as of 5th December, although generally it fluctuates between 74p and 78p.

So as of today these conqueror packs should cost £3.79 and £7.59 respectively.  So why doe they not? Why are Plarium allowed to charge me more comparatively for the same product  when there is no shipping/packing/customs costs?

Is it because we pay higher tax here in the UK?

Well Plarium do have offices in the USA and the UK so they will be required to register for sales tax / VAT in both countries.

Their USA offices are based in Michigan which has a sales tax rate of 6%.

So the cost of the $9.99 pack is $9.42 without the tax.

If we then added on the UK VAT rate of 20% (!) this brings the total cost to $11.30

Using the google exchange rate of 0.76 this should give us a sales price of £8.59 or £8.60 depending on your rounding.

So is there another reason we in the UK are paying at least 16% more for game content? As there does not seem to be.

So why does Plarium not make the exchange rates fair for all players?

This becomes increasingly significant with the release of global events and rewards.  This is then giving US players an advantage over UK players (maybe more countries too but I have not researched that yet) which is unnecessary and unfair.

Love to know anyone's thoughts on this.

Views
Comments