Live Arena Matchmaking is extremely unfair and stupid

Search
Comments
dthorne04Moderator
May 2, 2023, 04:5405/02/23
May 2, 2023, 04:55(edited)
12/30/20
Swiftblade

Problem with the last line in your otherwise fairly logical statement is that at one point, anyone will reach silver, and from there, they cant go back to bronze.... So when the noobs reach the dreadful (for them) 1300, what now? 90% or 95% losses because they don't "deserve" to be there?

Now it may be argued, with some cause, that it is preposterous of newer players wanting to have the same kind of success as the older ones. Nobody will debate this fact.

But it is also preposterous that the older players should think that this content was made exclusively for them. WRONG. It wasn't even made for YOU, nor was it made for mid-game players like me. They have nothing to gain from us really. We're already here, already hooked, whether Live Arena exists or not.

This mode, and this is the irony of it all, was mostly designed to attract NEW players. Probably 80% of the reason why it was done. The other 20% maybe for current player retention. And the way they implemented it, they made it all but possible for them to engage in it with some level of enjoyment. For most of the newer guys, it's just a painful process to farm a tiny amount of PVE bonuses.

And this is why you have threads like this one and the other one and the other one, with people complaining about it. And sometimes, the exact words they choose might seem silly, but the underlying fact is that they're not excited about it, not one bit. 

Instead of always having the initial reaction of wanting to defend your position, maybe take a step back, put yourself in their shoes, and try to understand why it is that these complaints are made. They just may have a point after all. Might not be that they're 100% right, but definitely not 100% wrong either. For my part, being one of the in-between players, I see where both extremes stand and can understand it. but a happy consensus could easily be applied if Plarium put their heads to it.

i

if you can't secure the necessary winrate, then you don't deserve to go further in a PvP environment. sooner or later we're all going to hit our wall in live arena and either find ways to improve or wait out the arrival of weaker competition. 

I can see how feeling 'stuck' at the bottom of silver may be frustrating though.

i

I am in fact seeing plenty of arguments where that fact is argued, in that there are vocal players who want the system to just match them against even account power/level players rather than in their points vicinity. 

i

hard, hard, hard disagree. this has been asked for by long term players for quite some time now. it takes new content to keep a good chunk of the existing player base engaged and interested in something, whether it be a challenge, new gear/champs or a combination. 

do I want new(er) players to try it? absolutely. do i think they should have realistic expectations on levels of success? yes. 

content that requires you to have answers, counters and be able to do so on the fly to truly succeed doesn't feel like the most early game content to me. 

May 2, 2023, 05:1405/02/23
May 2, 2023, 05:16(edited)
02/11/22

Don't flatter yourself buddy. You think because you asked for it, they just gave you Live Arena? Bollocks. The end-game in this new creation is to bring more people who have money. Period. If you don';t see this you're thinking with your old-player hat. Remove it, and put the game designer one on, and you'll soon understand that what i'm saying is true. It probably cost them millions of dollars to implement this, certainly not to make YOU happy LOL.

This is basic business. Everything is constant growth or slow decay. To grow, you put out new products, to gain more customers. It's that simple.

May 2, 2023, 08:5805/02/23
11/16/20
Swiftblade

Don't flatter yourself buddy. You think because you asked for it, they just gave you Live Arena? Bollocks. The end-game in this new creation is to bring more people who have money. Period. If you don';t see this you're thinking with your old-player hat. Remove it, and put the game designer one on, and you'll soon understand that what i'm saying is true. It probably cost them millions of dollars to implement this, certainly not to make YOU happy LOL.

This is basic business. Everything is constant growth or slow decay. To grow, you put out new products, to gain more customers. It's that simple.

Absolutely is for older players. It's called player retention.

harleQuinnModerator
May 2, 2023, 11:3005/02/23
02/24/19
Swiftblade

Problem with the last line in your otherwise fairly logical statement is that at one point, anyone will reach silver, and from there, they cant go back to bronze.... So when the noobs reach the dreadful (for them) 1300, what now? 90% or 95% losses because they don't "deserve" to be there?

Now it may be argued, with some cause, that it is preposterous of newer players wanting to have the same kind of success as the older ones. Nobody will debate this fact.

But it is also preposterous that the older players should think that this content was made exclusively for them. WRONG. It wasn't even made for YOU, nor was it made for mid-game players like me. They have nothing to gain from us really. We're already here, already hooked, whether Live Arena exists or not.

This mode, and this is the irony of it all, was mostly designed to attract NEW players. Probably 80% of the reason why it was done. The other 20% maybe for current player retention. And the way they implemented it, they made it all but possible for them to engage in it with some level of enjoyment. For most of the newer guys, it's just a painful process to farm a tiny amount of PVE bonuses.

And this is why you have threads like this one and the other one and the other one, with people complaining about it. And sometimes, the exact words they choose might seem silly, but the underlying fact is that they're not excited about it, not one bit. 

Instead of always having the initial reaction of wanting to defend your position, maybe take a step back, put yourself in their shoes, and try to understand why it is that these complaints are made. They just may have a point after all. Might not be that they're 100% right, but definitely not 100% wrong either. For my part, being one of the in-between players, I see where both extremes stand and can understand it. but a happy consensus could easily be applied if Plarium put their heads to it.

One, if someone can't have their 90% WR in Silver Live Arena because they have to fight some number of strong accounts, then it is time to get back into the dungeons, into Hydra, into Iron Twins and into Sand Devil. It is time to focus on the PvE side of the game to improve their account.

Cause the game ALREADY matches you against people close to you in account development if possible when you queue up Live. It balances several factors: time in queue, with account strength, and your WR in Live. It is not just random. And I'm not just stating that, I know that to be the case.

So if you are getting smashed more than 50% of your matches, it is time to get back into the PvE side of the game and progress your account the same way I had to when I wanted to actually progress in pre-nerfed Classic Arena, or when I wanted to make it to Gold Tag.

Instead of having the initial reaction of wanting to defend your position, maybe take a step back, put yourself in the shoes of people who found themselves banging their heads against the impenetrable walls of each other Arena mode previously, and stuck it out with improving their accounts until they were able to compete. We just might have a point after all, based on experience from when Arena was actually difficult and competitive. For my part, being a moderator, I send ALL feedback back to Plarium. I can see that some players are not happy about fighting stronger opponents than themselves. But I have come to my own consensus that I am allowed to debate the points of issues when people want to seperate the game into different, easier modes to compete in while I am stuck in the difficult ones.

Like I stated, the game already has the easier matchmaking for accounts based on power and WR. Even with my account strength, my WR in Live Arena is only 60%, like exactly 60%. I am right at the bottom of Silver 1. And my account has finished and can finish Plat. I face predominantly Taras/Marichka in every fight, and usually some combination of empowered Leo, empowered Rotos, empowered Siphi, empowered Nek and empowered Duchess. I queue up almost exclusively against long time Level 100s from top 100 clans.  And lets be frank, my 9 million power account struggles pretty mightily against the 40-60 million account power players. When the game matches me up against Marichka/Taras/Taras/Other stuff, it's a loss for me 99.99% of the time. 

People in my cluster in our middle clans show screens of their fights against many lower level players, and have better WRs than I do and are also in Silver. Already tougher out here, and, like others are waiting for the same thing, for the tiers to stretch out as per the message from Plarium on the release of Live:

i

I'm not trying to be OVERLY flippant here. But Live Arena is also insanely hard for me, and I'm fairly hard stuck in the bottom of Silver 1 until things change over time and the tiers stretch out. People in my cluster with midgame accounts are progressing easier than I am, although don't like running into tough accounts just like I don't.

However, I am not posting about my own Live woes. Instead, I have returned to Sand Devil, dropped more than 10k energy in that over the last two weeks, and have been ascending and regearing champs like a madwoman. My goal is to help get my WR up with new, better builds, and by gearing out champs differently to meet the Live Arena meta. Cause I believe that strengthening my own account is a better solution than changes to the new Live system.

harleQuinnModerator
May 2, 2023, 11:3405/02/23
02/24/19
evilized6666

Absolutely is for older players. It's called player retention.

This is exactly the case. Player Retention is an extremely important goal for Plarium, giving people reasons to stay with the game and continue spending after they are in Plat and G4 Tag and have done every bit of the PvE game as best as possible.

May 2, 2023, 21:0005/02/23
10/01/22
harleQuinn

Why should you have an easier route to the same in game rewards and ranking as me? Why should I be penalized for farming more or playing longer?

No thank you. This isn't an FPS game. You don't get to make it to Gold Live Arena, G4 Tag, or place Plat without playing the real players there at some point.

why should you be able to use me and others as food?

May 2, 2023, 21:2205/02/23
12/19/19
Swiftblade

Pretty strong attitude on this TaylorSwift, those bot beatings putting your panties in a bunch  😀

All kidding aside...

1) The expectation that this new content is geared towards new players in anyway is crazy

2) of course spenders are primary target

3) Could plarium spell out that n00bs should not expect to have success here better? Maybe. My suggestion to level lock all new content is probably extreme, as it would just cause different complaints.  But us old timers, played 3 years without LA, 2 years without hydra, sand, IT; and so on.  Go back to brutal 12.3 and classic arena until you beat bots and get Arbiter and Lydia...

It's like trying to solo speed farm Hard 10 fk with 4 food before you have a campaign farmer...

May 3, 2023, 06:3805/03/23
11/19/22

IMO the best way to approach any live arena match is not to focus on winning, but to focus on what you might learn from the battle. 

harleQuinnModerator
May 3, 2023, 14:2205/03/23
02/24/19
oblivion01332

why should you be able to use me and others as food?

Cause I took the time to progress my account. When I was having trouble in Silver or Gold Arena, back before the arena nerfs when it was difficult, I grew my account with gear farming.

So while you are putting words in my mouth calling yourself food, I assert this is a competiive PvP mode. And if this is a competitive PvP mode, which it is, then you have to face the breadth of all the accounts in PvP if you wish to advance to the top tiers. You can't get to the top of Gold Arena without facing the best teams at some point, I'm sorry.

If there was no ranking system, and no rewards for progression, sure, match only accounts exactly at your level or Player Power or whatever you'd like. But you shouldn't be able to get to the top 100 of Live Arena without ever playing any difficult opponents, which is what you're asking to be able to do here. Fight only people at your own level, advance into the same exclusive competitive tiers that I do.

"I made 1st in the world! Sure, I only fought accounts below level 75, but since I didn't have to fight Taras, Marichka, +2 Siphi +4 Rotos, +2 Warlord every fight like Quinn did, it was even easier for me than for her! I just plowed straight through Gold."

Basically, if you're smashed more than 50% of your matches, it is time to get back into the PvE side of the game and progress your account the same way all us did. Get your UNM CB team sorted out, get Lydia done and all your FW 21s on farm, complete all the Hard Doom Towers. Get your Iron Twins team sorted. Get your Sand Devil team sorted. And in doing all these things, these PvE progression steps, you'll get your account to the point where it can compete with mine, and most others in the game.

Sure, I cannot really compete with uber krakens that I am up against in Live. I said this in my ealier post. My WR is 60% and that's it. For every level 100 with 10 million power I fight, like me, I come up against someone with a fully empowered team and have to try and win against +2 Duchess/+2 Siphi/+4 Rotos + Tarichka. So I have to wait for those guys to make it to Gold 4 Live Arena before I can truly progress to G2 or G3 or wherever I actually belong. I don't know if G4 LA is in my future with my current champ pool, we'll have to see.

May 3, 2023, 14:3905/03/23
12/19/19
Fathertron

IMO the best way to approach any live arena match is not to focus on winning, but to focus on what you might learn from the battle. 

well said

May 4, 2023, 16:0005/04/23
10/01/22
harleQuinn

Cause I took the time to progress my account. When I was having trouble in Silver or Gold Arena, back before the arena nerfs when it was difficult, I grew my account with gear farming.

So while you are putting words in my mouth calling yourself food, I assert this is a competiive PvP mode. And if this is a competitive PvP mode, which it is, then you have to face the breadth of all the accounts in PvP if you wish to advance to the top tiers. You can't get to the top of Gold Arena without facing the best teams at some point, I'm sorry.

If there was no ranking system, and no rewards for progression, sure, match only accounts exactly at your level or Player Power or whatever you'd like. But you shouldn't be able to get to the top 100 of Live Arena without ever playing any difficult opponents, which is what you're asking to be able to do here. Fight only people at your own level, advance into the same exclusive competitive tiers that I do.

"I made 1st in the world! Sure, I only fought accounts below level 75, but since I didn't have to fight Taras, Marichka, +2 Siphi +4 Rotos, +2 Warlord every fight like Quinn did, it was even easier for me than for her! I just plowed straight through Gold."

Basically, if you're smashed more than 50% of your matches, it is time to get back into the PvE side of the game and progress your account the same way all us did. Get your UNM CB team sorted out, get Lydia done and all your FW 21s on farm, complete all the Hard Doom Towers. Get your Iron Twins team sorted. Get your Sand Devil team sorted. And in doing all these things, these PvE progression steps, you'll get your account to the point where it can compete with mine, and most others in the game.

Sure, I cannot really compete with uber krakens that I am up against in Live. I said this in my ealier post. My WR is 60% and that's it. For every level 100 with 10 million power I fight, like me, I come up against someone with a fully empowered team and have to try and win against +2 Duchess/+2 Siphi/+4 Rotos + Tarichka. So I have to wait for those guys to make it to Gold 4 Live Arena before I can truly progress to G2 or G3 or wherever I actually belong. I don't know if G4 LA is in my future with my current champ pool, we'll have to see.

hey first of all i diddnt say you diddnt deserve to be a better rank than me and not benefit from ur much longer and desereved game play, my simple question is why am i and others of lower level being matching against very high level, much more experienced, much higher awakening, much higher quaility perfect stat items? this defeats the whole point of the ranking system full stop if i have to fight against a level 100 while im still sitting in bronze or low silver? i know ur now going to quote plariums famous speech where they said ranking system would correct its self within a few days, but lets talk fact, its been weeks, their statement was a complete lie, they knew with the pathetic amount of coins they issued and limited opening times of the arena that it wouldnt correct its self within days. The only people i see defending this update time and time again are higher level players who have a much lower chance of being paired against someone significantly better than them, aka this current time of the update benefits you, if the shoe was on the other foot so to speak you would see things differently, im not exactly low level either, sometimes i go into live arena que to be paired some guy whos level 50 or 60, and they dont even fight, they just literally leave the que beore match even starts and give me a free win, i dont sit here and say hell yes, i sit there and feel genuiney sorry or this guy and say this is the biggest let down of pvp content iv seen on a game in years and i dont blame them for quitting a fight when the odds are stacked 80% against them from the word go. on no other game do you see devs pegging end game players against low/mid tier, its a joke.

harleQuinnModerator
May 4, 2023, 17:4405/04/23
02/24/19
oblivion01332

hey first of all i diddnt say you diddnt deserve to be a better rank than me and not benefit from ur much longer and desereved game play, my simple question is why am i and others of lower level being matching against very high level, much more experienced, much higher awakening, much higher quaility perfect stat items? this defeats the whole point of the ranking system full stop if i have to fight against a level 100 while im still sitting in bronze or low silver? i know ur now going to quote plariums famous speech where they said ranking system would correct its self within a few days, but lets talk fact, its been weeks, their statement was a complete lie, they knew with the pathetic amount of coins they issued and limited opening times of the arena that it wouldnt correct its self within days. The only people i see defending this update time and time again are higher level players who have a much lower chance of being paired against someone significantly better than them, aka this current time of the update benefits you, if the shoe was on the other foot so to speak you would see things differently, im not exactly low level either, sometimes i go into live arena que to be paired some guy whos level 50 or 60, and they dont even fight, they just literally leave the que beore match even starts and give me a free win, i dont sit here and say hell yes, i sit there and feel genuiney sorry or this guy and say this is the biggest let down of pvp content iv seen on a game in years and i dont blame them for quitting a fight when the odds are stacked 80% against them from the word go. on no other game do you see devs pegging end game players against low/mid tier, its a joke.

Why am I being matched against +4 Rotos/+4 Leorius/ +2 Siphi/ +3 Duchess/ +2 Warlord?? This is unfair to me, as my account is nowhere near as advanced as this.

Plarium should let me advance into Gold Tiers, or even top 100, in a ranked system, without ever having to face any account with 5x my account power, or 200k more spent than me.

May 4, 2023, 18:3905/04/23
02/11/22

By the way, I'm just curious to see what others think about this pickle going on at the moment. Take a look a this.:

i

First, let me congratulate these 2 people for reaching gold before all else. 

Now, why is this a pickle? These two players can now only play arena if both are online at the same time, because they play by gold rules versus all others who still play by bronze/silver rules. So now they can only face each other, but get this, this is just crazy. Say they meet. One beats the other, then either Bobby falls to s4 once more or the #@$% player does. And then, whoever won, is once again all alone in gold with noone to face.... 

If players 3-15 start tanking enough matches so that they keep grinding their crests in silver, it could take a while for the top2 guys to be able to play again.... 

thoughts?

May 4, 2023, 18:4805/04/23
02/11/22

And another note: Notice my rank. I'm not that good. In fact, the ranking display is completely bugged. When you see your rank at 1001 or 1002, that is not your rank. (I think my real rank is between 6000th and 7000th).

May 4, 2023, 19:1905/04/23
12/19/19
Swiftblade

By the way, I'm just curious to see what others think about this pickle going on at the moment. Take a look a this.:

i

First, let me congratulate these 2 people for reaching gold before all else. 

Now, why is this a pickle? These two players can now only play arena if both are online at the same time, because they play by gold rules versus all others who still play by bronze/silver rules. So now they can only face each other, but get this, this is just crazy. Say they meet. One beats the other, then either Bobby falls to s4 once more or the #@$% player does. And then, whoever won, is once again all alone in gold with noone to face.... 

If players 3-15 start tanking enough matches so that they keep grinding their crests in silver, it could take a while for the top2 guys to be able to play again.... 

thoughts?

Who cares... 😆 

I'm more interested in the slackers moving out of bronze to start filling silver :)

May 4, 2023, 20:2505/04/23
10/01/22
harleQuinn

Why am I being matched against +4 Rotos/+4 Leorius/ +2 Siphi/ +3 Duchess/ +2 Warlord?? This is unfair to me, as my account is nowhere near as advanced as this.

Plarium should let me advance into Gold Tiers, or even top 100, in a ranked system, without ever having to face any account with 5x my account power, or 200k more spent than me.

why are you being matched against them? because your account is high enough level to deal with most compositions that are put against you, you have a fair chance even if the odds are against you slightly, which can change on every team setup people put against you, also the "advancment" you refer to here is based on rng, you are at roughly the same skill level as them they just got better pulls. when we see a level 50-60-70-80 being faced off on an average base against level 100s even to this day in bronze and silver this is a completely diferent matter, this is a huge progression difference that should not be facing each other, and yes i understand advancement through ranks but as iv said in previous posts this will take months to even its self out, a poor launched update caused this.

also i dont recall asking to me put into gold and be given a free ticket? or being asked to get into the top 100? im just asking you why lvl 50-60s still have to frequently fight level 100s in a virtually 1 sided fight in bronze and silver ranks which is literally what level bracket this was intended for.

all you do is talk about ur own account progression which has no relevence in my eyes as you are you are high enough level with a big enough roster to work around it, you have a fair chance in most of ur fights as a higher level player unlike most other lower levels here which are going through something completely different to what you experience, but you seem unable to view it from any other concept but ur own.

harleQuinnModerator
May 4, 2023, 21:1705/04/23
02/24/19
Swiftblade

And another note: Notice my rank. I'm not that good. In fact, the ranking display is completely bugged. When you see your rank at 1001 or 1002, that is not your rank. (I think my real rank is between 6000th and 7000th).

50% is exactly where proper Skill Based and Account Power based matchmaking should get you too though :)

harleQuinnModerator
May 4, 2023, 21:1705/04/23
02/24/19
Trips

Who cares... 😆 

I'm more interested in the slackers moving out of bronze to start filling silver :)

Ready to have an easier time? lol

May 4, 2023, 21:2705/04/23
12/19/19
harleQuinn

Ready to have an easier time? lol

Yes, I am stuck at 149x / 150y

Win one, get smashed. Repeat. Lol. Hoping my new SS warlord helps, but want to glyph during cvc 

harleQuinnModerator
May 4, 2023, 21:2905/04/23
02/24/19
oblivion01332

why are you being matched against them? because your account is high enough level to deal with most compositions that are put against you, you have a fair chance even if the odds are against you slightly, which can change on every team setup people put against you, also the "advancment" you refer to here is based on rng, you are at roughly the same skill level as them they just got better pulls. when we see a level 50-60-70-80 being faced off on an average base against level 100s even to this day in bronze and silver this is a completely diferent matter, this is a huge progression difference that should not be facing each other, and yes i understand advancement through ranks but as iv said in previous posts this will take months to even its self out, a poor launched update caused this.

also i dont recall asking to me put into gold and be given a free ticket? or being asked to get into the top 100? im just asking you why lvl 50-60s still have to frequently fight level 100s in a virtually 1 sided fight in bronze and silver ranks which is literally what level bracket this was intended for.

all you do is talk about ur own account progression which has no relevence in my eyes as you are you are high enough level with a big enough roster to work around it, you have a fair chance in most of ur fights as a higher level player unlike most other lower levels here which are going through something completely different to what you experience, but you seem unable to view it from any other concept but ur own.

It definitely sounds to me like a want a free ticket. Patience is the key here. Patience.

I am not winning as much in Live Arena as I wish I was. My response was to play Live Arena significantly less, giving me more time to farm Iron Twins and Sand Devil. I've regeared all the major nukers and arena champs on my account. The only way I'm going to keep advancing in Live Arena is 1) Strengthening my account 2) Giving the tiers more time and space to separate.

All you do is talk about your own account progression which has no relevance in my eyes as you are in a position where you should be focusing on PvE content rather than complaining about Live Arena in the first few weeks of the system. Unfortunately you don't have the experience in Arena yet to know that as good as my account is, it has less than 1% chance of winning against the uber krakens I am discussing here, and shows you are yet unable to fully see the arena system as a whole... that I am at as much a disadvantage against them as you are against me. The difference is that I know it's a competitive, ranked system, and until those folks move up, I'm gonna have to fight them. I know you likely won't fight me though. I have seen a single opponent below level 80 this whole time, and less than 5 below 90. 95% of my opponents or more are level 100.