All Categories

Attack VS Defence Unbalanced

Search
How to join our moderation team?
Mar 18, 2016, 00:4203/18/16

Some brotherhood members and I have noticed how offensive units have far more attack than defensive units have defense. What good is having defensive units if they aren't good at keeping attack units of around the same price at bay?

There needs to be something to make up for that imbalance. There's not much strategy to a game that clearly favors offense over defense. It's ridiculous how someone can take out almost all of someone's defense and then only lose 5 of their offense units, despite having the same number of units both ways.
Views
Comments
Comments
Mar 18, 2016, 01:3303/18/16
02/28/16

I've noticed this as well.  Also, looking at the base level stats of a Marauder VS those of a Bonnie, as an example, both being the entry levels of offense and defense, a Marauder is twice as powerful as a Bonnie.

This means that one base level Marauder is able to kill two base level Bonnies, while on the other hand it takes two Bonnies to kill one Marauder.

The same can be said for the upper level offensive and defensive units. respectively.  This clearly shows that the playing field is delinitely unbalanced and favors offensive units.

We should not have to resort to buying bonuses just to try to level the playing field, when said playing field should already be balanced from the start.
Mar 18, 2016, 02:2303/18/16

Inuyashaslover4 said:

I've noticed this as well.  Also, looking at the base level stats of a Marauder VS those of a Bonnie, as an example, both being the entry levels of offense and defense, a Marauder is twice as powerful as a Bonnie.

This means that one base level Marauder is able to kill two base level Bonnies, while on the other hand it takes two Bonnies to kill one Marauder.

The same can be said for the upper level offensive and defensive units. respectively.  This clearly shows that the playing field is delinitely unbalanced and favors offensive units.

We should not have to resort to buying bonuses just to try to level the playing field, when said playing field should already be balanced from the start.

Yeah! Even two dreadfleet units received from the exact same adventure mission, Le Grand Canon is still twice as strong as that elephant, even though they were from two parts of the same adventure, and thus should have been equally strong.

How are we supposed to defend our havens with unfair odds like that?
Alyona KolomiitsevaCommunity Manager
Mar 18, 2016, 07:5403/18/16
09/17/15

Greetings. 

Actually, they are balanced. As you may have noticed, Defensive Units have lower stats, but also the lower price.

So If you spend the equal amount of Resources on both: Offensive and Defensive Units, you will notice that they have almost the same stats. By the way, some of our players even have noticed that due to Haven Defense Bonus Defensive Units are much more profitable.
Mar 18, 2016, 12:2103/18/16

Alyona Kolomiitseva said:

Greetings. 

Actually, they are balanced. As you may have noticed, Defensive Units have lower stats, but also the lower price.

So If you spend the equal amount of Resources on both: Offensive and Defensive Units, you will notice that they have almost the same stats. By the way, some of our players even have noticed that due to Haven Defense Bonus Defensive Units are much more profitable.

Tell that to the players spending all their resources on offense, and completely wiping the rest of us out, and the players investing heavily in defense (like I did), but still having their defense almost completely wiped out within one attack by someone who spent the same amount of resources.

I see what you're saying, I just don't think it's a particularly effective way of balancing it out, because you're making us rely on buying a crap ton of defense just to keep half of it alive.
Mar 18, 2016, 15:2003/18/16

Also, because of the lower stats, offensive units survive attacking other with few casualties, while defensive units die more easily, thus the upkeep trying to keep a decent amount of defensive units causes more resources to be spent than upkeeping the offensive units.

Furthermore, if a buccaneer's defense is the same as a skirmisher's offense, then shouldn't the buccaneer's offense and skirmisher's defense also be the same, if the buccaneer can withstand the defensive unit's offense when placed in opposite positions?
Mar 18, 2016, 16:2803/18/16
Mar 18, 2016, 16:38(edited)
02/28/16

Greetings. 

I'll hazard to guess that you don't actually play this game?  Because if you did then you would clearly see that it does take a crap ton of defensive unit trainings just to survive an attack from someone who has sent less than half the amount of offensive units on a raid to your haven.

This isn't about how much resources are needed to balance the playing field, so much as it is about needing to train more than double the amount of defensive units just to survive an attack from someone who has spent less on their offensive units to wipe out our defenses in a single raid.

I play both offensively and defensively, and to look in my Infirmary you would see that there's more than five times the amount of dead defensive units to my offensive ones.

I've come to the conclusion that as it stands, it is not worth the resources to invest in any defensive units at all, they die way too easily. Only to invest in offense because they're more effective due to these stat imbalancments.

And I would gladly fork out more resources on defensive units of equal proportions to the offense, IF they were balanced enough to defend, like they're supposed to do.

Mar 18, 2016, 17:0603/18/16
03/27/14

Inuyashaslover4 said:

Greetings. 

I'll hazard to guess that you don't actually play this game?  Because if you did then you would clearly see that it does take a crap ton of defensive unit trainings just to survive an attack from someone who has sent less than half the amount of offensive units on a raid to your haven.

This isn't about how much resources are needed to balance the playing field, so much as it is about needing to train more than double the amount of defensive units just to survive an attack from someone who has spent less on their offensive units to wipe out our defenses in a single raid.

I play both offensively and defensively, and to look in my Infirmary you would see that there's more than five times the amount of dead defensive units to my offensive ones.

I've come to the conclusion that as it stands, it is not worth the resources to invest in any defensive units at all, they die way too easily. Only to invest in offense because they're more effective due to these stat imbalancments.

And I would gladly fork out more resources on defensive units of equal proportions to the offense, IF they were balanced enough to defend, like they're supposed to do.

I do play the game, and when you go and build troops the defense cost less

so you will need twice the amount to defend with, of course the offense will over rule the defense

because you need more defense, say a sub is 843.3 if you don't have a boost but if you use a sol or a jug 1756.8 and jug 2049.6

that's a huge difference you need to divide and do the math, That is why they say it is wiser if you defend against someone offense to have your hood help you, because more defense is going to be needed....

technically it's not unbalanced you just have to do the math 

Mar 18, 2016, 19:2703/18/16

Blasphemy said:

Inuyashaslover4 said:

Greetings. 

so you will need twice the amount to defend with, of course the offense will over rule the defense

because you need more defense, say a sub is 843.3 if you don't have a boost but if you use a sol or a jug 1756.8 and jug 2049.6

that's a huge difference you need to divide and do the math, That is why they say it is wiser if you defend against someone offense to have your hood help you, because more defense is going to be needed....

I looked at the math, and you missed some things.

• Many offensive base attacks are MORE than twice the same-leveled defensive unit, so you need more than twice as many to beat them.

•  Because of how easily defensive units die compared to offensive, we have to repurchase them more often than we have to repurchase offensive units. Therefore someone who gets attacked a lot would have to purchase more often (and thus spend more) than someone who attacks others a lot.

• Also, I've had twice as many defensive units as offensive, and the offense still added up to much more than defensive.

• Because defensive dread fleet units, such as The War Elephant, die easily compared to dread offensive units, we have to spend rubies reviving them, while Le Grand Canon stays in perfect shape no matter how many times I send it into battle.

• Also, do you realize how many users do not invest in defense at all, simply because it's easier to go "I have a huge offense, so stay away or I'll get you" because they don't want to waste resources on something that dies so easily?

• The Rum consumption is the same regardless of offense or defense, so having to spend less rum to get them only helps for so long for some users, as having to buy twice as many defensive units is a dangerous move until the distilleries are upgraded to the highest level the player can get it to at that time, which usually costs more resources than how much was spent on the units. Thus, using the "have twice as much defense" strategy can be dangerous for someone who has to choose between waiting until their distilleries are upgraded enough to handle it, or ask for help from their brotherhood because they're about to be attacked soon, and can't afford to wait.

• Gold for defensive units is only slightly less than for offensive units of the same level compared to the other resource differences

Mar 18, 2016, 19:4503/18/16

Blasphemy said:

Inuyashaslover4 said:

Greetings. 

I also think it is unbalanced.  Look at it this way...so we must build at least twice the amount of defense to offense.  I get that.  But I also get that it also takes double the amount of time to build that defense, since we're having to train more troops than offensive trainings has to.  So while our additional defenses are still cooking, along comes another raid because they already got their offensive units built....we're still waiting on our defenses to train.  Now tell me how fair that is?

I also agree that we're better off just building offensive units and fek defense, they're mostly useless because of the lopsided advantage of offense while under this setup.

Mar 19, 2016, 06:1403/19/16
Mar 19, 2016, 08:31(edited)
09/21/15

If your defense is still building & you get a attack from someone than it is your poor strategy & POOT MATH.

Additionally this is a war game not candy crush saga. You always have choice to go to offense instead of staying in defense. It is the world wide basic rule that attackers always have advantage instead of the one who are hiding in their walls.

Collective efforts can kill 20-30M offense easily so there is no need to cry about. This game is based on strategy & you have to have one.

If you do know that the defense is more than double than you already know the ratios, build accordingly.

In addittion to that the example you quoted above, In tournaments you get 1 offense & 2 defense units, such as 1 grand canon & 2 elephants. 5 Frigates & 10 gunboats and same goes for all.

Do not QUOTE if it is not necessary & using words such as crap etc is not nice and against our forum rules. watch for them.

Mar 19, 2016, 17:3703/19/16

Fazi said:

If your defense is still building & you get a attack from someone than it is your poor strategy & POOT MATH.

Additionally this is a war game not candy crush saga. You always have choice to go to offense instead of staying in defense. It is the world wide basic rule that attackers always have advantage instead of the one who are hiding in their walls.

Collective efforts can kill 20-30M offense easily so there is no need to cry about. This game is based on strategy & you have to have one.

If you do know that the defense is more than double than you already know the ratios, build accordingly.

In addittion to that the example you quoted above, In tournaments you get 1 offense & 2 defense units, such as 1 grand canon & 2 elephants. 5 Frigates & 10 gunboats and same goes for all.

Do not QUOTE if it is not necessary & using words such as crap etc is not nice and against our forum rules. watch for them.

Where do I begin with this one?

Since when is "crap" considered an "unnice" word? We're not calling a person crap, and it's not a swear word. Seriously, NO ONE considers "crap" a swear word, even on Neopets, one of the strictest websites when it comes to language, and other kid-friendly websites. Heck, many kids shows use the word "crap" and similar words such as "crud" freely. Please note, you are the only mod on this forum who had a problem with that word.

We are quoting to show exactly which post we are responding to, that's what quoting is for.

And quit saying "Do the math" WE HAVE BEEN DOING THE MATH, and even pointed out mathematical errors you guys made in your attempts to say we're wrong.

And did you really just claim "the world wide rule" favors offense in war games? I'm sorry, that's a lie. There are many effective war strategy games out there that make it easy to build up effective defenses, and even allow most offensive units to also effectively double as defensive.

And did you really just try to defend it with "This isn't Candy Crush?" Candy Crush is a completely different genre! That's like comparing Legend of Zelda to Tetris. What were you even thinking when you said that? "Oh, I'll just tell them it's not a Bejeweled rip-off, that'll get my point across, because it's not like they already knew that or anything"

Also, poor strategy? Someone could attack while we're trying to rebuild from a previous attack, or from multiple previous attacks.

At least the other mods were respectful and polite while saying we're wrong, you seem to think we're stupid, even though we provided examples, math (which you keep telling us to do) and other holes in the arguments that it's balanced. You even claimed people building up on defense are "hiding in their walls." No, we're trying to be balanced so we can defend and attack with equal effectiveness, so we don't lose all our resources we just gained!!!

Mar 19, 2016, 21:4303/19/16
Mar 19, 2016, 22:21(edited)

Fazi said:

Collective efforts can kill 20-30M offense easily so there is no need to cry about. This game is based on strategy & you have to have one.

Right.  Poor strategy you say?  So is it poor strategy when we must continuously rebuild our defenses (which does take boatloads of time) and while they're in training we must log off the game to tend to real life, or should we be required to stay on the game until each unit finishes training so we can send them to harbor?   You're joking, right?  Attacks do happen while you're not logged into the game, therefore any units that were being trained and completed gets wiped out at that time.  We cannot be on this game 24/7, and lower level players must use a lot of resources just to build and level up their havens...this is usually done while logged in.  But you already knew that.

A war game.  Tell me, do all war games only use offensive units?  No, they rely on both offense AND defense.  But with this setup it's geared toward offense only, so there's very little strategy available to balance that playing field.  Instead, you all keep saying build double the defense to compensate the over-powered offense.  And we do, and they still die way too easily.  This is not because of poor strategy, this is because the game places very little strategic balance toward defense.  It's mainly geared toward offense.  All we are saying, is give defense a chance.

Collective efforts.  Now here is a good one...  Tell me how that one pans out for new players, or low-on-the-totem-pole Brotherhoods who are being attacked by the upper crust BH's?  When these lower level players are struggling just to upgrade and build units, they're also supposed to send massive defense to their members too?  Did you not forget the limitations with rum consumption with the more units trained?  Does that not reduce the rum production, hindering trying to upgrade the haven enough to be able to go on an offensive?  And then you tell us to build accordingly?  There be a wee bit o' flaws t' yer logic, matey.  You've made your post sound like everyone should be playing as if they were level 70+.  Please take into consideration of new players and small Brotherhoods who are still struggling to catch up with the big players.

POOT MATH.  Well, the good news is that Plarium fixed this game so no one has to be a coiner in order to advance, and since they also fixed it so that offense rules and dominates, and since you mods and admins are only telling us to build double the defense and not considering any changes to balance the playing field, there's absolutely no reason to further invest our time and resources into defensive units and just build up massive offense instead...since that's what you're basically and intervertantly telling us to do, in a nutshell.  So be it.  I've done the math, thank you.

Mar 19, 2016, 23:3103/19/16
03/27/14

I'm speaking as player, one that learned the rules the hard way, 

i know not to defend alone because how the game tactics work our defense alone is useless, Unless you have thousands of it 

I believe the game tactics was written like this to get more "team" work among the players, instead of a self player, to have your team helping you defend, as the "defense" the greater you are defended 

you can't joint attack a player at the same time they have to separate attack then it's calculated by the distance

Why do you think precids defend them selves so well? because the joint amount of defense

Now if you was smart you would ask for a hood defense system put into the game,

where everyone could donate so much defense, if someone is under attack we can send a defense party there to protect them at once, these units will return to the safe guard once the raid is over.....

i like this idea better then i do presids, then i know my units are protecting my hood 

Mar 20, 2016, 06:1803/20/16
Mar 20, 2016, 06:32(edited)
09/21/15

@littledragonbaby , i am sorry you felt that i am trying to say stupid, well i was just telling the truth. Games can't be deisgned as per your wishes, every game has it's very own mechnic. But with your reply i understand why there is a word baby in your name. Additionally if you guyz read my post again i said "If you do know that the defense is more than double than you already know the ratios, build accordingly", if you can't firgure it out, go take some math classes. Regarding your cry about tournament prizes are not equal i gave you example "In tournaments you get 1 offense & 2 defense units, such as 1 grand canon & 2 elephants. 5 Frigates & 10 gunboats and same goes for all. " I am not a baby my friend so i do know which game is which kind, but there are some among us who are addicted to candy crush, or mario brothers and when they come face to face with real players in a RPG or strategy game they cry out loud which i can hear clear enough.

Regarding word crap is nice or not, it depends in which environment or society you live. for me this word is not nice and no one would like to speak this word in a respectable community or group so better to avoid.

@infoseeken, All war games are not based on only offense or only defense but they don't either rely on one person so that is what i quoted in my post that "Collective efforts can kill 20-30M offense easily so there is no need to cry about." Additionally defensive strategy is not only on fighting, you can use up your resources, hide your troops in harbor & let attacker take nothing. When you think you are ready you defend & kill his hammer. But if you have to just cry & blow the complaning puppet we can't do anything, not us not admins nor CM & nor PLARIUM. Thank you for crying out so loud in here.

Finally, We also started from level 0 and we had such situations but our math & strategy is good, we are not babies or not blowing complaining puppet. So it all depends on how you make a plan & execute.

I have to agree with blas as well, it take only smart ones to ask for good things instead of crying.

Mar 20, 2016, 07:0003/20/16

Fazi said:

@littledragonbaby , i am sorry you felt that i am trying to say stupid, well i was just telling the truth. Games can't be deisgned as per your wishes, every game has it's very own mechnic. But with your reply i understand why there is a word baby in your name. Additionally if you guyz read my post again i said "If you do know that the defense is more than double than you already know the ratios, build accordingly", if you can't firgure it out, go take some math classes. Regarding your cry about tournament prizes are not equal i gave you example "In tournaments you get 1 offense & 2 defense units, such as 1 grand canon & 2 elephants. 5 Frigates & 10 gunboats and same goes for all. " I am not a baby my friend so i do know which game is which kind, but there are some among us who are addicted to candy crush, or mario brothers and when they come face to face with real players in a RPG or strategy game they cry out loud which i can hear clear enough.

@infoseeken, All war games are not based on only offense or only defense but they don't either rely on one person so that is what i quoted in my post that "Collective efforts can kill 20-30M offense easily so there is no need to cry about." Additionally defensive strategy is not only on fighting, you can use up your resources, hide your troops in harbor & let attacker take nothing. When you think you are ready you defend & kill his hammer. But if you have to just cry & blow the complaning puppet we can't do anything, not us not admins nor CM & nor PLARIUM. Thank you for crying out so loud in here.

Finally, We also started from level 0 and we had such situations but our math & strategy is good, we are not babies or not blowing complaining puppet. So it all depends on how you make a plan & execute.

I have to agree with blas as well, it take only smart ones to ask for good things instead of crying.

I seriously do not know where you're getting off on saying that I'm crying and complaining here.  I am not a child and I would appreciate you not treating me as such.  I've raised my children and I also have grand children.  If this is how you treat players who are simply trying to make suggestions to improve this game then I feel sorry for you, and wonder how you ever became a moderator.  Your antics to belittle others is so unbecoming, so please, spare me your condescendence and start showing a little more collective response to the topic at hand.

Again, all that has been asked is to see if defensive units could be fine-tuned a bit further so as to make them useful, not just be cannon fodder as they currently are. This is NOT a cry nor is it a complaint...it is a suggestion for consideration.
Mar 20, 2016, 14:4703/20/16
03/27/14

Infoseeken said:

Fazi said:

I seriously do not know where you're getting off on saying that I'm crying and complaining here.  I am not a child and I would appreciate you not treating me as such.  I've raised my children and I also have grand children.  If this is how you treat players who are simply trying to make suggestions to improve this game then I feel sorry for you, and wonder how you ever became a moderator.  Your antics to belittle others is so unbecoming, so please, spare me your condescendence and start showing a little more collective response to the topic at hand.

Again, all that has been asked is to see if defensive units could be fine-tuned a bit further so as to make them useful, not just be cannon fodder as they currently are. This is NOT a cry nor is it a complaint...it is a suggestion for consideration.

Did it ever occur to you that the gaming tactics were built like that to get more of a balanced team play amoung the game?

So that your hood would work together and defend? that is why defense isn't as strong as offense, because we can "ask" to be defended at any time, we can have as much defense in our havens at any given time, this is how you start learning how to work as a team, 

Not many hoods work in that direction because precids were welcomed in the game and many hoods took this on

Mar 20, 2016, 14:5703/20/16
Mar 20, 2016, 20:57(edited)

Infoseeken said:

Fazi said:

You dare claim to be sorry, then insult us? You call that an apology?

Infoseekin is right, a good moderator does not insult and belittle people to make their point. I know, I ADMIN SEVERAL WIKIS, AND HAVE DEALT WITH 13 YEAR OLDS MORE MATURE THAN YOU. How the heck did you become a moderator?

You also apparently did not actually read what I said, because I never said "tournament prizes" I said "adventure" those things Blackbeard gives you when you beat a certain leveled ship. I only received one elephant and one Le Grand Canon, not two elephants like you're trying to claim.

As a matter of fact, so far Dread Units are not a tournament prize. So, tell me, how much attention were you paying?

Also, you're really going to use usernames to insult people like some 12 year old troll? Really? That's the debate strategy of someone who doesn't have anymore good arguments.

WE ARE NOT CHILDREN, and as infoseekin pointed out, he/she is actually much older than you probably are.

EDIT: Also, since you said saying "crap" was against the rules, I'd like to point out name-calling was also against the rules: Including calling certain users a "baby" and other personal attacks. You broke the rules, as well.
Mar 20, 2016, 23:1403/20/16
Blasphemy said:

Infoseeken said:

Fazi said:

Did it ever occur to you that the gaming tactics were built like that to get more of a balanced team play amoung the game?

So that your hood would work together and defend? that is why defense isn't as strong as offense, because we can "ask" to be defended at any time, we can have as much defense in our havens at any given time, this is how you start learning how to work as a team, 

Not many hoods work in that direction because precids were welcomed in the game and many hoods took this on

You know as well as the next person that this game is far from being perfect, which is why we are encouraged to make suggestions to help improve upon it.  But when we do try to make suggestions all we receive in return are excuses and insults.  I am not one who wants to try and fix something that is not broken, but with this arrangement between offense and defense it is clear that offense is favored and no one wants to budge from that.  That's fine if that is how it was originally initialized, and for whatever the purpose was in doing so.  But with all these responses it just makes me wonder why we even bother wasting our time in trying to help, when in the end we just get shot down and insulted.  But now I'm seeing the bigger picture as to why there are so many inactive havens scattered all over the map...perhaps one day you all will see it too, and start being a little more considerate to those who are encouraged to express their input to this game.  
Mar 21, 2016, 05:5503/21/16
Mar 21, 2016, 06:16(edited)
09/21/15

Ok people enough has been said, if you are really concerned about your insults than you guys need to learn the way of talking first. I am not this kind of guy until I am forced to do so.

If we are in support team it does not mean that whatever you want to say or whatever you say we are to just follow with this & sorry & that.

In upper replies one of my fellow mod suggested one thing and in return you guys behavior were like you are tutoring a little child over there which is not tolerable to me. & above that when our CM replied one of you was telling that tell this to players which is not nice when you are talking to someone.

Again here you will see how it is not nice and I will take that you guys never talked to someone out of your terrority, which is why you people don't know the difference between rude & nice.

In addition to that when we explain things instead of understanding you guys are making additional excuses, and I was shocked to learn one of you is telling dread fleets is not in tournament prizes, just WOWWWW.

When I told ok if defense is not x2 than offensive you know the ratio already so build accordingly, they are again telling me it is more than 2 and we have poor math.

some people are talking they admin many wikis and this & that in wiki you don't have to deal with people like yourself so that does not make any difference, & your way of communication do shows how mature & good you are while talking.

When I am talking about the general war games & real life policy, someone is telling me no, it is not. Just bring me one proof from any army of the world which have a slogan that defense is the best policy, My dear fellows the phrase is Offense is best policy and no one knows better than me because my 90% Family is serving in Army & so did I for 3 years.

I will point fingers if someone is not talking the nice way. In addition to that I never apologized; you took it the wrong way just read my argument again and feel it what actually has been said over there.

Regarding calling names you are a baby to me due to your D.O.B, & your nick is baby & your talking way is childish. What else can I call you? If you break the rule I am the one who will take action and if I break the rule it is not you "KEEP THAT IN YOUR MIND".

I will suggest you guys to play this game, learn this & make suggestions once you are enough experienced. Don't take us as supporters while talking to us, we are normal players working voluntarily & I would not tolerate any offensive language in here.

If you are that nice & much experienced maybe you were mods here but you are not so keep that in your mind.

This thread is closed now, if any additional drams was created in this forum, it will lead you to a forum ban along with a game ban. Consider this as the final warning.

The topic is locked. You cannot post comments.